Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
NFTs (short for non-fungible tungsten) are one of the rarest and most sought after types of cryptodesignations and feature unique paper currencies and other creations designed to be foolproof, difficult to reproduce and difficult to track.

One of the companies at the forefront of NFT technology is BitCrystals. CEO Alex Bednorz has become known for creating a number of NFTs that were tested by security researchers.

A NFT is essentially a string of characters in any file format that can be verified to not be a string of characters in any other file format. So, for example, if you type in a string of alphanumeric characters it will look like gibberish if it is scanned by a computer with the regular fixed character detection algorithm.

However, in a NFT the computer would not recognise gibberish as gibberish. It would still know gibberish is gibberish. The NFT would still be gibberish, but the computer wouldn’t be able to determine it is gibberish from looking at the gibberish.

Because of this security, NFTs are very attractive to thieves as they are difficult to decode.

The security of NFTs is so good that a team of scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory had to use a human-operated, teleoperated robot to scratch away the encryption on the SecureDigital card that is usually used in mobile phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

gog is explicitly drm-free, which conveniently raises the question of what the gently caress the blockchain would have to do with removing digital restrictions, since it is diametrically opposed to that concept by design

the usual pitch i've seen is it would allow you to re-sell the digital ownership of the games

of course that's totally ignoring that if steam or playstation or any of these storefronts really wanted to, they could do that now without any blockchain nonsense, and they don't because second-hand digital game markets aren't in the interests of publishers/developers/storefronts at all so they're not going to do it with blockchain either

lih
May 15, 2013

hasn't that been outright confirmed by various studies

lih
May 15, 2013

even in that set of seven you can see a bunch have the same melted face, and two have the same red & black rocks skin, and two have the same weird glasses with mouths

lih
May 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheSandboxGame/status/1491079615758151681

lih
May 15, 2013

kang is going "lol i don't think crypto is good but i don't know why everyone is mad about it when it's so minor and tiny compared to other bad things"

but then it turns out he wrote this: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/20/opinion/NFT-crypto-art.html where he talks about having fun collecting NFTs and speculating on them lol

lih
May 15, 2013

boo tether's recovering

lih
May 15, 2013

DrankSinatra posted:

I'm not an expert, because, gently caress I can't be arsed to think that hard about goddamn bitcoin. BUT, unless I'm missing something, I finally realized that because they do the stone-stupid, simple thing, you HAVE to keep the transaction rate slow, otherwise you'd never get a system that settled into having a quorum that agreed on ledger state.

I still have doubts and think I must be wrong, because gently caress, that's so stupid.

there's no technical reason that the transaction rate has to be as low as it is (though getting it to somewhere useful would still likely be impossible), there's a whole lot of bitcoin forks out there that either increased the block size or decreased the block time in order to increase the transaction rate. the issue is just it's politically impossible to improve bitcoin's transaction rate as doing so would hurt miners

lih
May 15, 2013

ethereum proof of stake is actually getting closer - it's been at "2 months away" for a while now instead of the previous "6 months away"

from this we can assume it's going to be an asymptotic thing where it might reach "any second now" before the end of the year but never actually arrive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/comments/xg9qj7/why_are_people_still_mining/

quote:

I had solar panels installed in anticipation of the merge

It’s a gamble but I’m expecting one of these coins will eventually replace ethereum and prove a sustainable income for miners

quote:

For some of us this is just a hobby. It’s still fun to tune the cards for new algorithms and keep them going. Even at break even or a slight loss, it’s still enjoyable. I’ve spent hours tuning cards just for the fun of it. If you’re in it just for the money, quit.

quote:

It's like a habit, if u get what i mean, like this is a habit that those has keep for a long time already, if excluded those who just joined, I believe all those who remains are the ogs that still just wanna chill mining not caring how much they earn. Tbh most of them are already returned their profit, they just mine what is left to mine and when its negative value in income, they might stop doing it.