Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

orange juche posted:

Also I am glad the buttcoin thread is back, I missed the back and forth between Boxturret and ...!

... and who?
the suspense is killing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

if you're scared the bubble will pop any minute, why not convert your ipogs into stablepogs. we might* let you cash them out after the bubble

*fees apply

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

i got the free box turret, but it's just a cheap chinese knockoff. the ears are wobbly and it keeps leaving strange oily residues everywhere.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Fg5FCaI_0
is this good for bitcoin?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Chris Knight posted:

due to certain, uh, legal complications, the hq is always moving

zhaos' moving cryptocastle

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

stablecoin = it (en)ables con

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

kw0134 posted:

remember none of this is necessary if you grant even a single iota of trust to a party who can decide what is or is not a valid transaction to record. this is necessary because you're assuming everyone's potentially a bad actor and only by making it expensive and highly distributed that when "enough" people say something is a thing, that becomes the truth.
have you seen the people who want to use bitcoin? the whole premise is like spelling mistakes in phishing emails, of course they are bad actors, they're using bitcoin

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Soricidus posted:

hey now it’s only a matter of time before we find someone who knows what #include means :mad:
I have a black belt in programmalyzing, and know what it means. send me 47 bitcoins and I'll trade you an nft of the answer.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Penisface posted:

agent 47 bitcoins

eh, close enough. you are now the owner of the nft for the answer. now you just need to find another sucker to sell it to

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Boxturret posted:

if you take the unspeakable name of elun's 23rd child and solve the cypher and apply it to the names of the other 22 translated in to latin you can learn the location of satoshi's secred bitcoin hoard

hmm, i tried this and got:

I.. N.. U.. R.. M.. O.. M.. S.. B.. U.. T.. T

is that somewhere in alaska?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

DerekSmartymans posted:

Bah! It’s not doxxing when I do it. Only when divabot does it!

nah, that's box 'The Doxx' turret. divabot is the one who sells SA posts to people so they don't have to log into a dead gay forum, which I think counts as community service for his many crimes.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Shame Boy posted:

i can't even imagine a situation where a country would attack more than one thing at once, what would we even call that? attackfare? waging a sustained exploding on your enemy?
this war on language has to stop. we can simply use a britishism and call it a jolly good scrap, or a bit of a barney. much simpler

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

gently caress SNEEP posted:

just sent you my entire life savings 👍 thanks for saving the planet!

i just sent you his life savings too

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

njsykora posted:

he’s not wrong

the hexagonal warning shape they put on their profiles are a step in the right direction

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Paladinus posted:

Only Tools and Ponzis.

Only Tools and Nonces

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

if i were wanting to get blockchain users to self-doxx their crimebux spending, i don't think i could conceive of a better way then getting them to link their wallets directly to their twitter avatar

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Zamujasa posted:

sometimes everyone puts money in the pile and then the pile evaporates into thin air :gas:

woah woah, that's some FUD right there.

the money was siphoned out of the system long ago when they first 'bought in'
all they put in the middle are the used receipts

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

has the tether snapped at last?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Gazpacho posted:

has anyone said "war on terra" yet

terra infirma

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

you fools, do you not see what is happening?
soon, luna will become zero, and then the moon will be zero, and bitcoin will become like moon!
it is as satoshi prophesised

may his teeth ever grow

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

CommieGIR posted:

Can't be real, why would they waste electricity on lights that could be going towards mining more coin.

those ARE the cryptominers.
it'll be illegal to use any electrical device that doesn't contain a miner
half the economy relies on exports of artisanal hand dried sliced fruit

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Zamujasa posted:

someone post the roller coaster gif

genuwiine dollars!
get your lovely fresh dollars, just 95 cents each!
just like the real thing they are!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Blotto_Otter posted:

The quantity of their stablecoin, UST, is supposedly limited. The quantity of their cryptocurrency LUNA, which is what backs UST (and what they sell in order to fund UST redemptions) is unlimited. If a voice in your head just said "wait a second, that doesn't make sense", yes, correct, it does not make sense, you have a better understanding of this than Do Kwon, creator of UST and LUNA.

yeah, thats what you think, fiat-aliure.

if value = cap / n, and cap is a finite amount of money added to the system, then as n tends to infinity, value tends to zero.
as he says, supply is unlimited, and the value is merely reverting to the natural, mathematical, level for an unlimited resource
he is technically correct, which is the best kind

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

for sale: slurp juice, unused

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

gently caress man. good omens is real, vitalik is an honest to god demon looking to wrap up the deal by getting butters to electronically sell their souls on the blockchain
once he goes back down, he's getting a promotion for sure

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

i have a nft with an ape picture...

it's a Nice loving Toilet, and it's nice because it has this hanging on the wall:

i think my ape picture is worth actual money tho, even tho you get no IP rights with it

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Paladinus posted:

No, it's an ape of some sort. Or maybe a bigfoot.
at least you didn't call him a monkey

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

'im not funged' i say
'please don't tell anyone im funged'

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

so the idea behind crypto is:
i have a box painted black with a big sparkly gold symbol painted crudely on the side. i theatrically place it in the middle of the town, and place 1000 dollars inside, and then produce a piece of paper, and say that this paper represents the 1000 bucks in the box. but whats more, if you buy some of the paper, then the money goes in the box, and the bits everyone has is worth more. its a simple, logical model and utterly wrong.

firstly, what happens if, after some time, there are many people with boxes nearby all saying the same thing. of course my large (and a bit tatty) box is the original and best, but now theres lots of boxes with fun rules and monkey pictures and poo poo. so what happens if instead of taking money for strips of paper, i instead accept other bits of paper, or monkey pictures. every time i keep putting the poo poo in the box and claiming it is worth more, but obviously it's not any more.

but this isnt the funny thing. this is all the sideshow to the main sting. the way the coins get in is the strips of paper get handed out to the people running the computers, which use ever increasing amounts of electricity and hardware, and that all costs money and thats where the real trick happens - the exponentially decreasing-sized* strips of paper get exchanged for money, but the money gets spent by the miners on costs and yachts. none of the token sales ended up in the box, they never have**

of course in real life satoshi didnt even put 1000 dollars in to start it - the box is, and has always been, utterly empty.

*lol
**lmao

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

knox_harrington posted:

come on, invisible hand. I believe in you

*the invisible hand makes an obscene gesture, invisibly*

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

department of impure and misapplied mathematics

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

underbanked, overbanked, hodling free,
the masters of cryptocoin, conmen are we

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

my wallet has no butts and I must hodl

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Boxturret posted:

what's CEFi

CEFi DEEZ NUTZ

haha, we got him!
well worth the multimillion dollar setup and impending federal charges

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

...! posted:

i said real real money, not fake real money

i'll trade you the serial number of a hyperlink to a probably racist jpeg, and some entries in a database loosely named after a comedy dog picture, like satoshi intended

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Escape From Noise posted:

Who among us hasn't thrown on a military uniform and given a PowerPoint presentation to a despotic government on mycrimes?

ah gently caress, i knew there was something I was supposed to be doing today
i thought it was a normal tai chi class, but once you start advising oppressive regimes on ways to avoid sanctions, you just feel so relaxed and connected, you know?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

ellie the beep posted:

no, you're thinking of rarebit; urbit is the sound a frogy make

no, thats a ribbit. urbit is an indo-aryan language spoken chiefly in south asia

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

i will never reveal the c-lang secret

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

haveblue posted:

it may not be interesting or fascinating on its own merits, but it's certainly worth asking why it took off, why it got so big, and why it's proving so hard to get rid of while all of those things are true

people, who are too scared to meet people who sell drugs, want to get high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

basically, sam did everything wrong