Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yep that one solitary scare article, the article intended to scare people instead of snap them back into reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

am I out of touch?

no, it is the financially informed who are wrong

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

for real, not clearing sessions after resetting creds is hilarious

or there's something fundamentally wrong with their auth that's letting people run as arbitrary users lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Soricidus posted:

carbon genesis evangelion

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the buttcoin plug is the closest God has come to stepping onto the earth since they killed that jesus fellow

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

asspennies

but crypto

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"burn it"

"get it off the blockchain"

still, none of these motherfuckers know what an NFT actually is

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boxturret posted:

so you have a place for a knife at the front of the gun but decide to not use it as a bayonet? brave choice

fixing a bayonet would just be silly

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ultrafilter posted:

I cannot loving wait for this bubble to pop.

there's enough lazy legacy money going in after bitcoin that the bubble very well might not pop before crypto exchanges are banned by countries fed up by ransomware

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

chipotle YES

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

something cracked in my brain this morning, and I thirst financial ruin upon these fools

vote republican. invest in cryptocurrency. buy nfts. burn. burn yourselves. burn yourselves, the lot of you!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:tviv:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I want to see John's 32tb of notifications that got stuck in EPO sendmail queues when their service accounts expired and nobody gave a gently caress for ten years afterward

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if the end result is dead capitalists, heck sure I'm down

unfortunately, ship owners are not usually on the ship, and I don't have anything against sailors trying to make ends meet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boxturret posted:

if you take the unspeakable name of elun's 23rd child and solve the cypher and apply it to the names of the other 22 translated in to latin you can learn the location of satoshi's secred bitcoin hoard

i have achieved chim: the shape of the secret tower is a butt

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Splicer posted:

Shameless thief roommate story

My partner said that this sounded like the opening plot of a Chuck Tingle book.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boxturret posted:

love how that guy considered leaving a bunch of computers on and stealing electricity a business

everyone's a petty tyrant small business owner until it's time to pay tax, square up on costs, or obey labor laws

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's not entirely true, a significant contributor to the demand value of Bitcoin is privateer-style, state-sheltered crime.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boxturret posted:

i don't understand these words

I'm trying really hard to piece together a sensible narrative from his batshit insanity.

I think he's trying to allege that institutions are making bank on the influx of dumb Redditor money by swapping their own shares on private exchanges? Which....is a normal thing??

I'm trying desperately to piece together what wall he is talking about backing :airquote: them :airquote: into. I can't tell if he realizes that ATS have to run tapes like everyone else despite the "dark" scarequote name?

Is he suggesting there are quite literally hundreds of millions of dollars of unreported ATS blocks of shorts daily?

don't go to Reddit, never go to Reddit

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm still kind of surprised that we are suffering a global chip shortage on every major modern lithographic process because of our unwillingness to shut down an alternate currency whose value is propped up by state-sheltered privateer cybercriminals and pariah narcostates

force kyc and outlaw ransom payments. now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cool av posted:

would the US banning anonymous bitcoin exchanges put a stop to ransomware or would it have to be the countries where they're trying to cash out? or would it have to be everywhere?

Implementing the following will steeply curtail commercial ransomware activity in a country:
1- Require KYC for domestic exchanges, something we already require for basically every financial transaction already.
2- Ban extortion payment. Better, codify it as a criminal act.
3- Require reporting of extortion requests, probably to US CISA (this is likely already going to be happening)

A few crypto extortion teams may pull poo poo to protest this for a few months, but ultimately the drive to eat will force them to look elsewhere or close up shop.

Crime requires money to commit. Take away the ability to pay ransoms and you’ve steeply cut into the motives actors have to cryptolocker businesses. We’d be left with state sponsored actors doing things for natsec reasons, and we might see crypto extortion here and there from hactivists and enthusiasts.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sapozhnik posted:

criminalizing victims of criminal activity has historically had excellent results, i say go for it
“Don’t pay” is not a regressive policy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it is absolutely currently illegal for me to lend financial assistance to sanctioned entities, this is not different.

We’re not even talking about innocent populations like the civilian residents of sanctioned states like Iran, who have done basically nothing wrong and don’t deserve the poo poo that they’re getting.

The context here is professional ransomware crews, grow up.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 29, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Soylent Pudding posted:

Banning ransom payment runs the risk of driving it underground. It would likely be better to require disclosure to the government (though probs fbi not CISA) and disclosure on SEC filings. There was a good overview of many of the legal options here: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/07/disrupting-ransomware-by-disrupting-bitcoin.html

Implemenying KYC is a very, very strong preventative against the grand majority of payments going underground. Remember also that block chains are publicly traceable; much has already been done without the sledgehammer of KYC.

There is a reason that financial payments crime is extremely challenging to get away with (standing policy of not caring about white collar crime aside, that’s an issue with AG incentives). You need a large financial institution like Wells Fargo or Deutsche bank as a willing insider blowing smoke for you, and even then getting caught anyway. KYC for domestic exchange is a really well oiled tool.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cool av posted:

this is interesting

since BTC isn't usable as a currency, if you're getting bitcoin from anywhere other than buying it you're likely a criminal.

The FBI uses this to identify criminal wallets, and it’s why the big three crypto laundering services are so shockingly huge.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm gay

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

help help a nation wants to regulate the commerce in its borders

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

infernal machines posted:

it's going to the wrong wallet address now

I'd bet you a nickel it's still going to the right wallet, just a different right wallet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol "since June" really buries the lede

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Weatherman posted:

actually it's ephebocurrency

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

infernal machines posted:

you might notice that the people who do think it's the greatest thing ever are very frequently wrong about what it actually does, can do, and how it proposes to do it, but i assure you, they understand it

the earliest stans actually knew wtf was actually being sold (a character string) vs what was used as essentially the marketing material for that sale (artwork you won't enforcably own). conversations were interesting because they actually understood that the nfts have no value, other than a way to facilitate the bleeding of overstuffed wallets or serve as a mule for money laundering. you could post a screenshot of the nft-associated media and they wouldn't get mad

the next and most dominant set of stans doesn't genuinely understand the scheme, it's hilarious that they actually get upset at the notion that media intended for mass tech compatibility is compatible with the tech available to the unwashed masses

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Erenthal posted:

makes perfect sense

summary: "We are facilitating transfer of liquid value to original coin holders"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the

replies

:cawg:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DJ Burette posted:

Do these mixers even work anymore? I thought there were half a dozen companies that claimed to be able to track coins going through them and a whole bunch of darknet market vendors ended up with evidence of "mixed" coins appearing in the criminal case.

There are three major laundering entities that really do work to confound the amount of money going in any amount of money coming out on a long timeline, they work at great scale, and they charge well.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol

"DRM, but this time the ex-Goldman/Blackrock oligarchs aren't even bothering with an intermediary"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I helped my partner take some very vanilla feet pictures and the money was staggering

we're letting the shock settle in

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it could almost be considered wholesome, if I didn't also know how specifically and life-threatening dangerous this space can be

I see the existence of privacycoins as an unqualified plus in this respect

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Silver Alicorn posted:

fungible means you can exchange it for something of equal value- eg cash money is fungible because you can break a 20 for some singles

there’s probably some way or other to funge an enefty though

nfts are fungible because you can rapidly trade one for any other arbitrary string of meaningless characters of equally worthless value

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Taerkar posted:

Considering how much of a libertarian wet dream EVE was many of them could be the same people

Eve ended up being a place where the space communists won, interestingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"I am the CEO of a patent troll entity that exists to sit on cash that can't be used for other purposes for one reason or another, so I got harvested"