Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Paladinus posted:

Silent Hill, but instead of fog, it's steam from bitcoin mining and water cooling.

Or if it's the movie, instead of burning coal mines, it's burning bitcoin mines.

Alan Smithee posted:

pyramidschemehead

Zamujasa posted:

they look like currencies to you?
About that. The next beepboopbitcoin game has been in development off and on since...since about when the last one came out. Like the last one it involves a bunch of linked game engines. This time each of the game-things is a different kind of bitcoiner, although they're all (mostly) interacting with the same game environment(s). And one of them is a guy who loses his butts on gox:

And yeah. Antagonist is Pyramid Scheme...who is obviously the bitcoin guy...who is obviously just a guy in an ill-fitting bitcoin costume...in an ill-fitting pyramid costume. There's a point at which the player is talking to an NPC in town and says "There sure are a lot of digital currencies in this town," and the NPC replies "They look like currencies to you?"

I've cut out a shitload of content because of other poo poo that's been released during the long, half-assed development process. Like there was a bunch of Megaten/Persona-themed stuff and the Silent Hill stuff and those both reference Twin Peaks so there was some Twin Peaks stuff and then David Lynch decides now's the perfect time to release a new Twin Peaks. So a bunch of that got scrapped (although there's an NPC who's kinda like the Oracle in nethack, the Log Chart Lady, who's probably going to be in the final game just because I like the gag). There was a sequence involving Mark as a sort of Lupin the Third kind of thing, and then Persona 5 features Lupin...and then netflix does a whole Lupin series, so that got scrapped.

Sooooooooo. Basically I try to be pretty up front whenever I'm ripping something off and then here I am reading the forums and there's like a page of the game design bullet item by bullet item. Going by the commit dates on the assets, all that stuff got added no later than around 2017 (holy poo poo this thing is dragging on)...but none of that's public and I can't prove it. So I just reg'ed an account to ask an open question: kosher to leave that poo poo in, or would that be weird or wrong or whatever the gently caress? Thought about just scrapping it because holy poo poo I'm used to scrapping poo poo by this point but looking at it the emptygox role is linked to a bunch of other poo poo in ways that wouldn't be trivial to disentangle.

Oh and hi guys. Maybe a new game this year. Maybe. Hopefully. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Boxturret posted:

imagine the sort of wretched creature that would be mad that similar words to those that they wrote on a web forum appeared in a parody game
Yeah...but on the other hand if I was playing a game and it looked like someone had read a page of jokes on a web forum and just copied each and every one of them I'd think the game designer was a shithead. And I don't want to be a shithead. Well. Not that kind of shithead.

I got to the emptygox thing from the idea of having the game taking place in a town that's gradually going to poo poo due to bitcoin. I got the idea of "Decentralia mine fire" and that got me to Silent Hill and that became Empty Gox. This was like multiple major releases of blender and THREE.js ago, and back when I was first trying to implement this poo poo they didn't really play well together and I shelved everything because I had to wait through several releases until poo poo like skeletal animations were actually working. And I remember worrying at the time oh poo poo what if someone else gets the idea of implementing a bitcoin parody inside of a Silent Hill parody...and then thinking what the gently caress don't be stupid, who would think of that.

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021
The doge ending is canon.

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Beelzebufo posted:

This is such a good deep cut reference to mix with bitcoin that my brain practically exploded when I read it.
And it seems so obvious in retrospect.

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021
"Probably a doghouse, though I'm not sure since there's no dog around."

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Zamujasa posted:

[ image of chart showing number go down ]

there are disturbing scenes
and images in this game.

Bitcoin guy in the headlights of an out of control Ford Explorer.

Alan Smithee posted:

You may use this as long as you pay me royalties in emucoin the crypto for emulators
Your royalty payments can consist of a very generous percentage of the lack of profits.

Do not go into game design. Somewhere around a hundred thousand people have played the first two games (unique visitors, played for more than a couple minutes). Total revenues: negative whatever domain registration and hosting fees have cost in total.

The guy who drew Johnny Five Aces sold the drawing for like five grand in 2019, meaning that Zybourne Clock, a game famous for two things...being bad and not actually existing...made roughly five grand more than both bitcoin games combined.

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Paladinus posted:

I hold the copyright to the following words:
- Bluntcoin
- Beetcoin
- Botcoin
- Biltcloin
- Biitcoiin
- Bartcoin
- Tiboinc

You will have to pay 1 bitcoin to use any of them in your game.
No objections re other words.

Paladinus posted:

But also, seriously, good luck with the game. It looks even more ambitious than the clicker game that had a full-blown parody of Monkey Island in it.
I can't make any promises about the coin names. There's random altcoin name generator for when one of the player roles gets access to the Block Lodge...which looks kinda like the Velvet Room back when the Velvet Room looked like the Red Room after a palette swap ...where a mysterious man who speaks in ROT13 grants you the ability to turn your bitcoins into alt coins via a process known as coin fission. The name generator uses an opensouce words.txt as input and produces "real" altcoin names on occasion as well.

As far as the game being ambitious...it's certainly bigger if nothing else. The first game was around 2k LOC not counting comments and imported libraries. The second was around 20k. This one is around 130k so far. Some of the roles are very small and lightweight but some are bigger than the entire previous game...in terms of code complexity as well as things like art and assets. The full-blown parody of Monkey Island, is only two screens total. It gets a kinda/sorta sequel, "LeMark's Revenge" that's almost as big as all of bitcalc.

Which is all why it's taken so long to roll this thing out. I've spent more time refactoring poo poo to make it more manageable than I spent on any of the previous games.

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Winged Orpheus posted:

I hope a key item is hidden under a birdbath, and you'd never think to check there if it weren't for the dozen notes written by the coiner who hid it exclaiming what a genius they are for hiding it under the birdbath
I can confirm the existence of a bird bath.

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Boxturret posted:

i really hope that didn't scare notsatoshi away, i love their games:smith:
I set up a gmail account for the beepboopbitcoin poo poo and it gets three kinds of messages: bug reports, requests for hints, and death threats. Normal butthurt trolling doesn't even register. Even when it's "real".

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

Splicer posted:

I really want to emphasise that bit wasn't supposed to be at your expense and I'm sorry if you took it seriously even for a minute.
Yeah, no worries. By the time I read any of it it was clear that it was a schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotallyNotSatoshi
Jul 8, 2021

divabot posted:

"I have sex with consenting adults" is easy mode here:

https://twitter.com/Tr0llyTr0llFace/status/1422616630140485634
Spoilers for the next beepboopbitcoin I guess:

In the next game there's a AGI-style bit:

Of course it has "copy protection":

...and answering any of the questions correctly identifies you as a nocoiner.