Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

hello I would like to invest upteen-seventy-billion dollars in fraudulent assets please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Bill Cosby was just denied parole...

.....which sounds like a great time to bring back the COSBYCOIN ICO!! INVEST NOW!!!!!!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

USDT is illegitimate and backed by broken glass and lawn clippings.

USDC, however, is totally legit buy now now now leverage your grandkid's kids college fund

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

well we would give everyone their money, but all those mean tweets....

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

"stablecoin" should just have baked in scare quotes at this point

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

"hi could u pls prop up my shitcoin, I have invested a lot into this thx"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

so how many people knew Bernie Madoff's long running scheme was a ponzi, or was probably a ponzi, but "invested" anyways

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

surely the lightning network will solve that problem though right

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

can we make a coin that gives rewards for producing energy so a whole bunch of fat nerds will get in shape on exercise bikes powering generators and some genius will make a literal hamster wheel farm

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

inject that colloidal silver right into my veins

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

wow looks like someone's mad they didn't get in on pre-mining the laffchain ICO

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

WTT 23 Kodak BTC miners for my shirt back... OBO

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

LanceHunter posted:

In the other major internet-fueled form of wishful money-related thinking, the AMC/WallStreetBets crowd has come up with a new reason why their strategy of buying mediocre stocks hasn't made them infinitely rich yet...

https://twitter.com/_laqwann_/status/1418394863700086789?s=20

this looks like qanon, but with stock market

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 23, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

kill you are father, Ron Paul 2012

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

How is that poo poo not money laundering

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

someone who doesn't base their life around selling a defunct product to the greater fool

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

guy should just send that poo poo to a black hole address and call it a day

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

wow the hits keep coming in on this bitcoin thing, I guess that means its a good time to BUY NOW right>>>>??

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

oh they're libertarians, I think we know they have cp :agesilaus:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

what was that thing with birds with flashlights strapped to them that would protect us all from the criminal element? someone needs to make an NFT of that before that idea is STOLEN

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Hammerite posted:

valuable jpegs

where have we heard that one before?

..oh right

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

*breathes into bag*

could someone please tell me how this is good for bitcoin????/

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

drk posted:

Bitfinex accidentally (or "accidentally") paid $23 million in ETH for a transaction fee earlier today.

How did it happen? HN speculates:

A "typical" $23 transaction fee lol

Currency of the future! Let me just pay for this 2 dollar coffee

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Why don't we just remake the Internet and currency again, but with scamming people as the central feature

sounds great

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

interesting to think that the whole crypto trading scene, relying on tether, is taking place on thin air and the moment there is some real scrutiny or significant test on the system it could all come crashing down from just seeing that it is standing on nothing

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Alan Smithee posted:

Wonder how much that constantly banned crypto nerd has spent

Last I checked it was around 1600 (real) dollars

edit: and that's just on registrations alone, not on avatars and other poo poo

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 8, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

"novel tackles the tough issues of our day, such as the age of consent"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Main Paineframe posted:

oh, don't worry, it's nowhere near that simple

you "mine" citycoins by sending a different currency, STX, to your city's citycoin contract. the more STX you spend, the higher your chance of being the one who gets the citycoin in that block.

by holding your citycoins and committing to not sell them for a fixed period of time, you get a cut of the STX people are spending on buying citycoins. 70% of the STX sent to the smart contract is distributed between citycoin holders, allocated based on how many citycoins each of them has "locked" away from selling

the remaining 30% of the STX goes directly to the city that owns the smart contract. which is likely the motivating factor for Miami officials. they get a sizable cut of all the STX flowing into citycoin, and they don't have to do anything except encourage or incentivize people to use citycoin

to really boil it down, citycoins are basically a raffle where people spend crypto to buy raffle tickets for citycoins, and the proceeds go into a pool that's split between the city and all current citycoin holders

the whole setup is designed to lure people and cities in with the dream of passive income for doing nothing, only for them to realize that the passive income requires a steady flow of new marks to buy in or else the whole scheme dries up, and start willingly recruiting for the scheme so their own investment in it doesn't end up wasted

that sounds an awful lot like a ponzi scheme to me

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

qirex posted:

apparently an appropriate penalty for inventing billions of dollars in fake money is $41 million

Full article:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/15/22728253/tether-41-million-misleading-statements-fiat-currency-bitfinex-cftc

I'm skeptical of whether this will end up mattering to the cult as long as Bitfinex can stay operating

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Imagine: an obese man making GBS threads into a tank, forever, and your uncle Bill Fuckwad and his libertarian pals all happily swimming around in it

That's Tether.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

'export as nft' option automatically puts in a call to your local pd child trafficking department

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

tony hawk and matt damon are all in on the butts apparently

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1453759326267461635

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

assets in second life had a lot more content tied to them than this latest round of bullshit, the internet just keeps getting stupider

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

hey remember when the first DAO was a catastrophic failure??? yeah lets do that again

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

the quintessential coiner right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

if history has taught us anything here, even if you made "Idiot bag holder coin" [IBHC] people would still 'invest' in it if you made number appear to go up