Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

epitaph posted:

metaverse is over guys, back to election misinformation
they were supposedly spending $10bn/year on metaverse /vr stuff and that division supposedly had 18000 employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hammerite posted:

doing what? they had that many people making "second life, but not fun"?
its from this april 2022 article: https://www.theverge.com/23022611/meta-facebook-nazare-ar-glasses-roadmap-2024

quote:

It’s unclear if people will find AR glasses useful in the next few years. Similar products from Microsoft, Snap and others are far from mainstream. And the stakes couldn’t be higher for Meta. Its division making metaverse hardware and related software has swelled to roughly 18,000 people, costing the company $10 billion last year alone. To build the glasses and future VR hardware, Meta has aggressively poached from Microsoft, Apple, Google, and others, driving up the price of talent across the industry.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

evilweasel posted:

also, employees have costs above their pay (benefits, taxes, office space and overhead, etc)
the usual rule of thumb is that employees cost the company roughly twice what their salary is

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1524815320619294723

the secret sauce turned out to be slurp juice :shrug:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
iirc several early bitcoin ponzi schemes were so badly implemented that the scheme runner ended up losing money on the deal (they mistimed the cut-and-run part and ended up going bust along with the ponzi)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Paladinus posted:

Join our vibrant community of piss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tYvGfF1Gkg

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Luigi Thirty posted:

Last time I was at sea world one walrus was jerking off while another kept ramming into his side over and over
dudes rock

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

no one got away with $400 million. at best they've run off with some other brand of convertible funbux which, via a long and ponderous chain of trades might eventually be worth entire thousands of actual american dollars
reminiscent of press conferences for drug busts where some district attorney or police chief will point to a stack of baggies full of cocaine and declare that they had a street value of $70 million or something

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:allears:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

the eggman hasn't had a hit since netscape
:wrong:

he was a big backer of google glass!

lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SubG posted:

don't have a dao, man
the dao that can be had is not the true dao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1536419499313881088

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Boxturret posted:

I love how
how will never love you back boxturret

why do you keep doing this to yourself

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

...! posted:

it was boxturret again
:argh: boxturret!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/CelsiusNetwork/status/1538673050991808512

quote:

It has been one week since we paused withdrawals, Swap, and transfers. We want our community to know that our objective continues to be stabilizing our liquidity and operations. This process will take time.

As has been a priority since our company’s inception, we maintain an open dialogue with regulators and officials. We plan to continue working with regulators and officials regarding this pause and our company’s determination to find a resolution.

We are pausing our Twitter Spaces and AMAs to focus on navigating these unprecedented challenges and seeking to fulfill our responsibilities to our community.

Acting in the interest of our community remains our priority and we will continue to work around the clock.

We are grateful for your continued support.

Celsius

tl;dr - your moneys gone suckers

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Isentropy posted:

Trevor Lawrence at least had a productive rookie season under a good coach playing for a respected well run team, The Jacksonville Jaguars
not all rookie qbs are fortunate enough to start their careers playing in The House That Bortles Built

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
there are some websites* that do :filez: of magazines and they can get pretty esoteric sometimes

like, there are two regularly published magazines about... airports:

* like https://downmagaz.net/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shifty Pony posted:

Mrs Pony used to get a quarterly magazine about dry beans.
she;s thinking about thos beans

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
theres one mattress forum where the owner/moderator has something like 32000 posts

about mattresses

dude just fuckin loves talkin bout mattresses

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sweevo posted:

Journal Of Applied Mathematics = topless women holding calculators

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shame Boy posted:

they removed the only bus stop that was actually walkable from my house and now i literally can't ride the bus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tr8KRqyGJk

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
m&ms should only come in two colors: amber and green

change my mind

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

investment is at its heart optimism and the ever popular “potential”

making an actual thing collapses the investor storytime quantum waveform
this is why apple has such a low p/e ratio compared to unicorns like uber

apple makes products and services and sells them to a large and well-established market at a very profitable margin. which is great but it means that there are real, concrete, physical limits on how much their sales and profits can grow

uber can spin a moonbeams-and-fairydust story about flying self-driving ubertaxis dominating the entire global livery and airline market and in doing so can argue that their future earnings are potentially unlimited, thereby justifying their astronomical p/e valuation (well, until recently)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
from the bad with money thread:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
what is more perfectly justified

- that post?

or

- everything that mark karpeles did?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shame Boy posted:

in like the 30's she was a white character that danced to and with black people musicians which was scandalous

that makes the whole "frens" thing even more lol
she was a hugely popular cartoon character (90+ theatrical shorts) in the 1930s

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the "was skeptical, did my own research" thing is especially funny because their conclusion was not that crypto was an asset group that they should add to their diverse portfolio, but instead someplace they should park 100% of their life savings

very smart, very savvy investors

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DELETE CASCADE posted:

whenever someone says they did their own research, ask them where they did the research. the library? maybe ok. reddit? lmao
almost certainly they watched a bunch of youtubes about crypto that all agreed with each other that crypto was the slam-dunk cant-miss investment opportunity of a lifetime

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"i sifted through reddit and youtube until i found someone confirming all my priors"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"blockchain ethicist" ahahahahhhaha

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
my favorite tech bubble insider trading story was how the employees at fanduel and draftkings (the two online daily fantasy betting giants) had policies against using the insider information they had access to (which players were being most heavily bet on, etc.) to gain an advantage while playing on their own site

but because the two sites were basically interchangeable in what they did, the bettor action was identical across both of them, so employees just opened up accounts at their counterpart rival site and bet using their insider information and cleaned up, all while being 100% in compliance with their corporate policy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Main Paineframe posted:

doing arbitrage against a loving bank loan is the most obviously dumb idea ever
no see the returns are guaranteed

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/TaschaLabs/status/1551281082024148992

that costco one has me lollin

costcos entire business model is selling stuff at near-cost (hence, the name) and making their profits on the annual membership fees. im sure theyre just champing at the bit to allow customers to sublet their membership access to other people, pocketing the money and cutting costco out completely. costco doesnt want shoppers in their stores, they want members

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its a good book, despite the author tending to present the assorted libertarian characters more as hopeless dreamers rather than vicious self-centered jerks. i can see why he wrote it the way he did, but it was still grating

theres a fun chapter that contrasts it with the town down the road where the voters did have a history of voting for small tax increases to improve things - it, of course, is prosperous and thriving

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i bought a postcard of the mona lisa and took a phone photo of it and uploaded it to the internet so now the louvre needs to send me the original, thats how it goes right?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
we have a perfectly workable definition of FUD in the cyber space already:

f acts
u
d islike

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
my previous job was for an engineering consulting firm that had a full test laboratory on site

secure hdd disposal involved the hydraulic press

my proposal to use the electric arc welder was sadly shot down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/Greene_DM/status/1555606003344982018