Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The name's coin. Jamescoin. License to shill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Dr Nocoin

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

The Scam That Loved Me

more like "the guy who scammed me"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

vortmax posted:

oh come on "The Spy Who Scammed Me" was right there

yes. That is the joke.

That spy guys name? Carl mark force IV...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shageletic posted:

You live in NYC? Hit me up.

Weatherman posted:

you live in nyc? lol, just lmao

possibly worse: London

some ticket scalper has bought them off me on StubHub. Will only get back like 70% of the original price but seeing as they were bought like 2 years ago that is still technically a better store of value than bitcoin lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Cross quoting because I did actually lol irl

mrmcd posted:

Speaking of crypto, the twitter related tweets algorithm unintentionally wrote a funny story:

it's perfect

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"CEO of the unemployed" is a good username

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

deathspiral carpets

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm sure it backs an absolute poo poo ton of monopoly money, but the major coins like BTC and ETH have institutional support, unfortunately. that's why i'm kinda hesitant to say "lol yeah it's definitely gonna crash and burn"

Institutional support in what sense? From what I've seen all banks involved in crypto poo poo apart from startups have all been as custodians or similar i.e. not holding any exposure to it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm sure someone else can answer this more in-depth because i don't really follow what the giant firms do with crypto, but as an example fidelity (which manages trillions in pension funds, 401ks, etc) just made butts part of their service like last week. this happened, iirc, about two days before everything went sideways

Yea cch that's just like, "well let you buy it (or a synthetic product that tracks it), but it may go to zero, buyer beware!" They aren't gonna be invested in the asset itself at all. That's almost the opposite of their job.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I have funged your ape, pray that I do not funge it further

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

has any said "marky marks and the fungible bunch" yet?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

trucutru posted:

From their website

Why should I give you my money?

Because we pay good interest that we get from investing (in Anchor).

Where does the money to pay the 15-20% Interest come from?

It comes from the people who are borrowing UST

But why would they be borrowing when they have to pay those high rates?

Because they get paid for borrowing, DUH! That's Anchor's "special trick" you moron! imbecile!

Mar 2, Stablegains and the magic of Terra/Luna

Some weeks later:

that's a lot of words that seems to be trying to hand wave away "you give us 10k, we give you 3k" as not being a terrible deal whatever way you look at it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also big lol at "this is our special trick!" Which is totally a thing financial institutions say and is not a big red flag no sir

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

don't forget that if the returns go down you have to post more collateral! It's like the loans are arranged in a pyramid shape you see because......

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

has anyone said "the war on Terra" yet?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

This is especially funny because this morning Coinbase was spamming me with talk about how bitcoin price was about to "breakout", and linked this technical "analysis"...

https://twitter.com/CryptoMichNL/status/1529730053034061824

lol all this "analysis" is transparently just :words:, it's no more intellectually valid than a printed pamphlet about how actually aliens built the pyramids and cancer is cured by drinking vinegar as we can see from this graph

it's like they're all trying to be the David Icke of economics

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SubG posted:

don't have a dao, man

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Dao

Daaaaaooooo

Daylight come and me want me apes back

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Eeyo posted:

have any of the nft projects actually gotten anywhere close to delivering something?

no, because they're doing securities fraud

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

more like they claim to have a rabbit in the hat but you can't see it, then eventually they agree to show you part of it, then the bottom of the hat falls off to reveal it was just part of a dismembered rabbit and the rest of the volume was made up of pieces of paper with "rabbit" written on them in crayon

then also there's 1000 "magicians" doing this all at the same time and all claiming they have a whole rabbit each but the total number of rabbit parts doesn't even add up to one whole rabbit because most of it got burned to power a machine that just flashes a big sign saying "real magicians here!" 24/7

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

Has anyone said First .Eth Batallion yet

Bitler youth

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh my god the footage

https://twitter.com/brycent_/status/1533780386194522112?t=2F082IEO5lre3xhNF86bXw&s=19

oh no twitter ruined it, irl it is not just a guy spinning in a low textured world and firing at a wall!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gschmidl posted:

Neal Stephenson is now making a "metaverse blockchain" with some :gas: morons. As usual, nobody has any loving idea why or what it's for.

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2022/06/08/neal-stephenson-coined-metaverse-in-1992-now-hes-building-one/

I was in a bookshop and there was a new Neal Stephenson that said "from the inventor of the metaverse!" which is just awful

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Hammurabi's code of flaws

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it's been a long time since I learned about financial calculus but I don't think that's what either delta or gamma mean

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

divabot posted:

Hayes used to be a trader at Deutsche Bank, he's one of the few guys in crypto who has any loving idea what he's doing, and uh yeah he lost me too. obviously i need to check the white paper

on second look I think it's just written a bit confusingly. Gamma is the derivative of Delta so an increased gamma does mean that your delta (which is direct relation to price of underlier) is going to increase, and with an option your value will converge to the price of the asset because no poo poo buying an option to buy something priced at $10 right now is gonna cost $10.

SubG posted:

oh poo poo. a professional money launderer

irl lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it was pages back with some Celsius tweet but I love the way that every time one of these coins implodes, they all start going on about "protecting the community" (usually after freezing/stealing everyone's money), as if there is any actual community here and not just the economic equivalent of rats in a sack

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

my name is ozymandao, coin of coins, look upon my balance sheet ye holders and despair!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

what does any of that even mean

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

infernal machines posted:

it means he's bugfuck nuts

ah yes, kraken's razor. "If the obvious answer is 'he's bugfuck nuts, it's likely to be true"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Eeyo posted:

i had trouble with this one at first. i think you've got to imagine you're like q-anon level of conservative dipshit.

i think first tweet is saying that they research potential retreat locations, and if the location can't be used because they require vaccinations for travel/stays or tests for unvaccinated people or whatever then they look somewhere else for a more laissez-faire covid policy.

the second i think is saying that he hates vaccinated people and probably thinks they're shedding vaccine or similar bullshit. but he's such an open-minded and inclusionary guy that he'll allow vaccinated people in on a don't-ask-don't-tell policy and treat them with the respect that he would show his fellow unvaccinated colleagues.

got to admit, "won't be exposed to vaxxed people" is a new twist. are they all living in hermetic bubbles or what?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

quote:

FWIW, for the most part, they aren't speculating with clients' money like Celsius was (maybe a thread another day about our dealings with them in 2019), however, here they did use our funds (~1m USD) to answer their margin calls.

I don't think that's much better!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'm the "cash back at the DMV for proof of abs" *flexes at u*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

not going to college or dropping out of college is perfectly fine, unless you’re one of these Peter Thiel vampire libertarians who thinks that college makes you dumb and evil, in which case you should be forced to go to college in order to get these dumb poo poo “is babby a person?? how is babby murdered?” pseudo-philosophical questions out of your system in a sophomore dorm room, where a bunch of other stoned or drunk sophomores can tell you to shut the gently caress up with your stupid ideas already

that is a perfect description of the problem with that sort of idiot "startup founder exceptionalism" rubbish.

idiot poo poo like "actually women are brainwashed and maybe white people are the real race victims?" should basically get driven out of you by being forced to mature in either higher education or an irl job, taking these blowhards and making them "CEO of fartcoin" is falsely validating them and they have ideas permanently fixed at age 17 that a bunch of other morons then hold them up as being geniuses for

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

...! posted:

rip buttcoin, 7/18/2022

thought of banks and died

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I carried a USDT printer over to her house for a hug

Paladinus posted:

*for a rug

ah the ol' lug and rug

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

typical, crypto finally delivers the assassination markets libertarians dream of and they don't like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

what can I exchange one poo poo Outta Luck token for let alone 100 million?!?