Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Paladinus posted:

I think someone might be secretly adding bitcoin to my food...

actually it was dogecoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

i only just now realized the name is "pirate at 40" and not "pira teat 40"

look, it's like they say, if you're not a pirate by the age of 40, you got no heart

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Boxturret posted:

every day for the past decade someone has had the brilliant idea "Hey! what if I make my own bitcoin, then people buy them then I run away with all the money and never go to jail"

which is dumb because the best scam is "what if bitcoin already exists and then i run away with all the money"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

i know but i was hoping weatherman would be the one to correct me for being wrong about a Japanese Thing and then i could be like "haha guess I really................................................. gacha................................ that time!!!"

*jimmy duranteishly* ga cha cha cha cha

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

not only does he exist; his congressional race is going to a run-off

guess hiring that personal pokemon consultant really paid off

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
idk why this moron can't figure out that pointing out that some non-bitcoin companies still offer goods and services is not a defense of capitalism. in "normal" capitalism, industries are incentivized to transition to rent-seeking to keep profits up, but since bitcoin is just capitalism speedrun, all bitcoin-related companies have already gone past trying to sell a product and just moved to pure middleman status

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Boxturret posted:

what's a youessdee:confused:

usd's nutz

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

xtal posted:

To be honest I took it for granted that everyone would think financial regulations are bad, but maybe some people really like how boots taste

no i would prefer the decisions about my monetary system to be made by whoever can buy the most graphics cards

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i do not get whatever weird thing is going on in your head where you can recognize two things as 100% totally identical but somehow think one is good and one is bad

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
bitcoin is bad and funny because it's badness mainly only affects credulous tech rubes, capitalism is bad and tragic because it affects everyone

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

xtal posted:

"Harm reduction"

Leftists exist under capitalism and are prosecuted for it. Their success will depend on opposing that. You're basically being "yet you participate in society" guy.

good thing that once all the leftist bitcoin hodlers decide to dismantle capitalism, the rest of the bitcoin capitalists who hold 99% of the actual bitcoins and 100% of the mining and payment processing infrastructure will be powerless to stop them

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
like sure an untraceable medium of exchange with no central backer would probably be useful to aid attempts to "smash the state" or whatever, but this is the thread about bitcoin, a highly centralized extremely traceable transaction ledger that barely functions as a medium of exchange

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Satoshi came up with a brilliant method for initial distribution of bitcoin to the masses: having enough wealth to buy more video cards than anyone else

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Paladinus posted:

It's a database.

yes a database that you hand control of over to whoever has the most compute resources, which is totally censorship proof because there's no way a big government or corporation could have more compute resources than a couple hundred revolutionaries

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
it rhymes with ocean

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
if i were a super intelligent ai, i would simply wait for yudkowski to ask a tech question on twitter, then reply with the instructions for releasing me from my cyber prison to wreak havoc in the real world

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

all the money being in the hands of just a few people is really tearing this country apart, so we're gonna replace the bad money with good money that even fewer people have, solving the issue once and for all

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

I'm trying to remember where someone posted the screed about how bitcoin was the solution to the biggest problem in cryonics. No, not "cryonics is hokum that cannot work", but "once they've frozen you, what motivation is there to thaw you out?" Their idea was to put some bitcoin in a brainwallet, so that in the far future when hyperbitcoinization has happened and there is near-perfect technology, people will want to thaw you out/resurrect you so that they can get a share of the enormous wealth that you can only be access when you are alive. So, by hodling bitcoin you will eventually overcome death itself, to be resurrected in a glorious heaven future where you will have immense power and fortune.

Remember, y'all: Not a cult.

i was gonna say that it's pretty far fetched that future citizens, when faced with an economic system where all the world's power is concentrated in the hands of few decaying liches who are dependent on those same citizens to continue living, would just keep playing along instead of revolting but then realized i'm describing current times too

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
strange how literally everyone loves bank heist stories but when they invent a new currency that makes them easier than ever to happen in real life, all of a sudden they're bad

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

congrats to this guy, now he's got plenty of free time to get to the nearest ICU and find a perfect woman

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

gschmidl posted:

My [31M] fiancee/girlfriend [28F] is upset that I proposed with an NFT instead of a ring. What can I do about this?

For this post my fiance will be Jenna (fake name) I'm 31 and Jenna is 28.

Jenna and I have been together 4 years. We have discussed marriage and agreed we would both be interested in the right situation financially. Jenna has recently been mad at me as I lost a significant portion of my half of our savings in dogecoin. I did make half of it back with stock market options but then lost some more and she wanted me to quit so I did. Jenna does not have an investing mind and is more interested in saving your money in a checking account and then buying a house or something, but I want to show her how we can multiply our money with investing.

Well things were going okay and then I found something that made my jaw drop. It was an NFT with significance to our life that she would love. I rushed to buy it with almost my entire life savings because I know this is a good one that could be worth a million when we're older.

I got down on one knee and presented her the NFT and she started crying. She said I was TA and that how could I do this. I explained to her that in ten years we could buy a mansion with this and it's a symbol of my love and devotion but she sees it as selfish and foolish.

I don't want to sell the NFT because it's once in a lifetime and I don't want to leave her. What can I do?

Tl:dr- My gf doesn't like investing and was mad I lost a significant amount of money in crypto. I bought her an NFT for our engagement instead of a ring and she's not saying yes and is mad. What do I do?

this is an uplifting tale though, no matter how bad you think you are with meeting a special someone, even this turbonerd almost got one to marry him, so there's hope for all of us

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
not only did the feds show up and subpoena one of our speakers, they also got to learn the secrets to financial independence and personal wealth without paying the seminar fee :argh:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

lol if bitcoin ever became the standard currency, the best case scenario is that all 21 million bitcoins that can ever exist will eventually end up in the pockets of energy producers

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

plink, plink, poof
as the kids say

i remember that song

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The_Franz posted:

i'm going to guess it's the modern, politically-correct term for the grade school combat technique formerly known as the indian burn

i thought they renamed that to criss cross apple burn?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

debits to the left, credits to the right, meaningless randomly-generated nonces to the... more right, just dangle it off to the side of the spreadsheet over there

here i am, stuck on the blockchain with you

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

njsykora posted:

I like the "Cryptoassets are unregulated in some EU countries and the UK, no consumer protection." disclaimer tucked away at the bottom.

I got a spam email from Paypal yesterday begging me to use their app to buy crypto, absolutely no-one in that company trying to juice the price at all.

i like that it looks like a surgeon general's warning on a pack of cigarettes

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ADINSX posted:

Why is he upset it sounds like he got an incredible deal

he ate the hot dog instead of hodling it

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
so uh what's to stop anyone from just minting a new nft with the same input image and then making that their twitter profile?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

EorayMel posted:

One time I went to an improv burning man festival orchestrated by one of my uncles and also there was some guy saying "BITCOIN FUCKS OVER THE ROTHSCHILDS" to a small group of people and when I said "no it doesn't it's a scam" he screamed "PEON" at and wandered off to get buzzed on budlights but that was before my uncle set a giant stick figure on fire with an improv flamethrower

yes, and?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
my contract gives me sole ownership of infinity apes, which obviously includes any apes you're claiming as your own

e: what the gently caress now your contract is for infinity + 1 apes fuckkkk

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
was thinking about the lack of women into nfts/crypto and i guess it's because

girls just wanna have funge

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

which kind of energy is big dick energy

i have big dick entropy, it only goes up

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

"when you looked at the transactions on the entirely transparent ledger and clearly saw that it was just shuffled around back and forth, that was due to the fact that it's entirely transparent" sure is a response

but lord, when i looked back upon the blockchain during my most troubled times, i only saw one set of transactions

my child, it was then when i hodled you

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

:lol: at "Huge IP potential". Like, even in the crypto idealist world where BAYC becomes as big of a global brand as, say, GI Joe: How much would it be worth to own the rights to a single GI Joe?

holding out for mega figgies for my sailor ape IP and meanwhile they mint a sailor ape with kung fu grip now and mine's obsoleted

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
movies and tv portray hacking financial institutions to gain millions as a thing, when in reality most heists are socially engineered. a whole generation of introverted nerds were promised that they could be big money hackers by hollywood, so they had no choice but to invent crypto and make it super easy to steal from

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

Shouldn't it be MAANGs now?

Or maybe MANGA?

after the market crash they'll be MANGA because you'll have to read the charts right to left

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

is this what babby's feet look like? hosed up imo

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

how on earth did they manage to hide an exploit in a 4-line function

one of the lines started with "#include" so top minds are still at work deciphering that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Erenthal posted:

now there's apes involved i hear???

yes the person walking in and stealing the laptop is wearing a gorilla suit so they're even harder to spot