Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sam bankman-fried, sam bankman-fried, you know him by his crazy hair
he's broken every human law and wrote about it everywhere
SDNY came down on him when they became aware
they opened FTX's books- the money wasn't there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's not really a scam, it's just phishing. if you click the "unlock your wallet" button you go to a copy of the paypal/metamask login page made by the phishers. if you log in there they just log into the real thing on your behalf and steal all your money

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 10, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
while we're all focused on crypto getting hosed up by ordinary market vicissitudes, let's not forget that crypto can also be hosed up by people being amazingly, unbelievably stupid

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1634578264185241600

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

bank runs in this era of complex, highly advanced financial disasters seem almost quaint

nah, it's just proof that the tech industry has not actually evolved beyond base economics, mathematics, and human nature like it often claims to

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what's hfsp

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
crypto was always meant to serve the unbanked

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t even own a coinbase

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the stock market is trying turning it off and on again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

trucutru posted:

Large corpo inertia. Squeenix is still saying that they will release NFT games in its official documents.

yeah this. even aside from the true believer issue, a major initiative at a large company can't be killed by someone saying "this sucks and we're gonna eat poo poo on it, trust me". you need numbers to counter the numbers displayed by the initial approved proposal and that usually means a pilot program or trial balloon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

it's roughly as funny as the slow kid on the playground getting their pogs stolen, except someone at some point paid actual dollars for those pogs

also the slow kid has spent the past several years crowing about how he's smarter and richer than everyone because he has pogs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
report the cost basis

I imagine these days it’s significantly higher than market value

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when will we finally have games using AI-generated AI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the key to game AI isn't to make it smart it's to make the player think it's smart. you make a basic AI that plays your game at the skill level of a particularly dull child, then you try to arrange things so that from time to time it stumbles into doing something that seems clever purely out of luck, so the player is impressed and thinks they've been outsmarted

the key is to make sure the player understands what it’s doing. if that means having the AI literally narrate it’s own decisions like in FEAR so be it

if the AI is smart enough to take the player by surprise and win that just feels like cheap bullshit you had no chance against. which is accurate and also not fun

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah good luck fixing a merge conflict on an asset file. maybe if you had a very smart editor that anticipated that scenario and gave you tools for it, and if it was an asset type for which that concept even means anything, you could do it. but I don’t think this sort of thing exists for media in general

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Just a Moron posted:

I find the stock git GUI to be pretty helpful, you can do most basic things without the CLI

you still need some kind of non-git editor to resolve merge conflicts in a better way than just picking A or B. this editor doesn't exist for some classes of asset and cannot exist for other classes of asset. asking your artists to crack the file open in a text editor and fix it line by line is not realistic. that's the whole problem

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Improbable Lobster posted:

wtf is with nft garbage being obsessed with discord servers

everyone is obsessed with discords, they’re self-sustaining communities that can replace both marketing and support for free with minimal oversight from you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
let me know when ugly trailer sonic is starring in tearjerking oscar bait

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
nookie dash

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bored lil yacht club

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Twerk from Home posted:

Wasn't he tweeting recently that actually he's not on the run, he has no idea what the police are talking about?

joke's on you, I actually love being arrested by one dozen perfect montenegroan police

and my wrists aren't in handcuffs, they're victory bracelets

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
now if someone defines corbomite that’s the real trap

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the first time you forget to turn them off when going down stairs will be fun

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
honestly I lolled harder at the update on the LME nickel scandal

it has strong crypto energy while remaining entirely within the traditional finance world

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's what we thought the present would look like, when we checked out a VRML demo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if you want a picture of the future, imagine a bot yelling a racial slur at another bot, forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have no mouth and I must scream (about my crimes)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sbf has become a living portal to the elemental plane of crime, like the fire guy in planescape

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bitray

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

actually making crypto bros cry is funny. making their spouse who didnt make those financial decisions cry is mean tho, he should definitely apologize to his wife and sil.

yeah. self-destructing over crypto is funny. the blast radius is not

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lol but single digit slumps are pretty boring, let me know when it loses more than 10% in a day

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just tried to do the swap and it refused to let sudo cp work which means it's probably under the SIP umbrella and I'm not turning that off for shits and giggles

you can't modify anything that counts as a system package at all without disabling that, so there's your package validation. gatekeeper is IIRC only applied to packages tagged as downloaded

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chris Knight posted:

funds are safu!

stuck
and
foreverially
unreachable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

well i can't personally figure it out so obviously professional auditors would never be able to do it

I mean, you joke, but according to the rest of the thread they literally threw all the money in a big pile, tossed all the paperwork, and didn’t write down what anyone did with it after, so it may really be a challenge

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shumagorath posted:

that scene in Drive but i make a mid-level crypto scammer eat the physical bitcoin he gave a kid

a real scammer

a real hero member

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blotto_Otter posted:

thank you Matt Levine and the thread’s numerous Matt Levine fans

upon further reflection, I love the idea of making creditors whole by restarting the securities fraud machine, that idea rules and I can’t wait to witness it

the first meta-pyramid scheme, where the settlement from the next cohort pays off the bagholders from the previous

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah joose is the one that made you lose time and then discover that during that time you had had a manic episode

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the big improvement will be people pushing on-chain images as the solution and clogging it up with data blobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
probably need some rear end quarters there