Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm guessing the SEC also backed way the hell off when real serious money starting moving into the space

after all, it's not like their job is to stop the financial industry from blowing billions of other people's dollars on stupid quasi-legal bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Booyah- posted:

i guess worse than being down your life savings is being down your savings and facing serious legal exposure

the life savings losers are not the ones facing legal exposure, they're the ones taking advantage of it

I mean the people running the show were probably also diehard true believers who ate their own dog food but the lawsuits are coming from outside the building

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SubG posted:

the jarkesy decision is a wild ride even for something from the 5th circuit

like their argument is that in the past common law courts have decided fraud cases so the sec can't take any actions involving fraud because that's a violation of the 7a rights of anyone sanctioned. like they do the typical looney toon reactionary court thing (like alito in the roe thing) that no, no this doesn't affect anything else, but the legal theory it presents basically rules virtually all government actions unconstitutional if they don't get 12 guys on a article 3 jury to agree to it beforehand

the conservative legal movement would be fine with overturning chevron and returning to the lochner era but the smart ones would like to do it gradually

these are not the smart ones

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

"humans horrified"

I'd be laughing my rear end off and cheering them on

I got trolled by a lion at the DC zoo once

I was walking near the big cat area when I heard a weird sound. the lion was standing up on a hill and roaring. everyone nearby was drawn over to see if it was going to do anything cool

the lion stops roaring, looks around at the huge expectant crowd gathered around it, sits down, and starts licking his nuts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

for sale: bored ape, never slurped

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
whoops, fat fingered my soul address on my application form. my degree is lost to the ether, gotta put in four more years now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
satoshi nakamoto -> hook a moist satan

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 23, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Agile Vector posted:

i keep my savings in a big wallet with my wife

I sleep in a racing car

specifically, this one

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m the crypto-enthusiast traveler

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
huh, seems a little crude and low-effort for the onion but sure ok *mouses over* ohhhhhh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

i'm totally okay with squenix divesting themselves of a bunch of properties i enjoy

vastly increasing the chance someone will make another game with them

they sold them to the extremely not menacingly named "Embracer Group", so the chance is pretty low the games will actually be good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SubG posted:

don't have a dao, man

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

njsykora posted:

and embracer is just a rebranding of what used to be thq nordic after their guys went on a pedophile message board to promote a game and thought showcasing a knowledge of their pedomemes was a good idea

I was trying to figure out if my memory was correct from wikipedia but they made it as confusing as possible for exactly that reason

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
luna.new.edited.use_this_one.2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

*looking at price chart* so it goes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
slurp to
gorilla ratio
three to one yup

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 28, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mrmcd posted:

How is this even a crime?

Like I'm not being snarky how is this a crime? Is it "insider trading" if I buy a bunch of pogs right before my employer launches a pog advertising campaign? Are auction house employees not allowed to like, resell art?

Or is it a crime because the government is now asserting that NFTs are actually securities? (The funniest option, content wise)

it's a crime to deceive people into purchasing securities for your own profit

it's also a crime to sell people things that meet the legal definition of securities without describing them as such and complying with relevant regulations

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember a pretty good post and/or link earlier in this thread about something called the Howey test, which is effectively a legal codification of the principle that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck as applied to securities

basically it means that if you sell something based on the promise that it will increase in value later due to factors outside the buyer’s control, it’s a security

which definitely applies to crypto products

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

it's coinbase, there ain't no future

everything these shitlords to is based on getting theirs and running. there is nothing like long term planning, because there is no long term in crypto

yeah their whole business model is to locate the next sucker, of course that would bleed into how they run the company internally

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the NY state legislature just passed a bill putting a two-year pause on granting permits to revive idle fossil fuel plants for crypto mining

quote:

The New York bill calls for a two-year halt on new permits for miners that use carbon-based fuel and also, requires an environmental impact study with an eye on meeting climate goals established under a 2019 statute. Existing mining firms or ones currently undergoing the permit renewal process would be allowed to continue operations.

can't find anything on the likelihood of the governor signing it but I hope it's high

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

3) what happens if the “house nft” is stolen?

you're homeless, sorry. have better opsec next time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
how many slurp juices can I use on my house

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neito posted:

Also did any blockchain fix the problem where someone with a majority of computing power just gets to dictate reality or are they still pretending that's not a thing that can ever happen?

c) this is not a problem in the blockchain mindset

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
all my hair, gone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Juul-Whip posted:

was thinking about this too. iirc the resolution is that Kirk and Spock get fed up trying to convince them to change their ways so they just blast the big computer with their phasers, beam up to the ship and warp away

to be fair, they had to do that because the computer decided it had shot down the enterprise and was demanding the crew all kill themselves too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's more that he's embarrassing to be associated with and doesn't bring anything worth tolerating that to the table. he's a 1 term representative, that doesn't exactly make you untouchable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would respect salesforce more if it turns out that's just a basic centralized ownership tracking database they slapped the words "nft" and "blockchain" for marketing

no the problem is clearly that the apes are here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
someone remind me about the teeth thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what happened to that project to upload your completed sexual consent form to the blockchain

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
every so often you read about an incident where someone got accused of counterfeiting because the cashier didn't believe $2 bills existed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

honestly I should have guessed a dao was just a fancy name for "a board of directors but stupider in every conceivable way"

basically, imagine if your board of directors was a program, and also it was impossible to fix bugs in it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

how does crypto.com have over 5000 employees

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neito posted:

isn't this fractional reserve banking, the very thing many coiners rally against?

yes. for a real bank in a real financial system the assets would be backstopped by the FDIC and they would be able to fully pay out if there was a run. but in clown world the money's just gone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there’s life in this gay comedy forum yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

uh, the lakers don't own the building, they just play there

yeah the owners just put the naming rights up for sale and crypto.com put in the high bid

wonder if they have any payments left to make on it and how that's going

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
frog blast the vent coin

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Qwertycoatl posted:

if i'm understanding this right, they've locked it up so that it can't be recovered until ether goes proof of stake, ie the event that's been totally going to happen in a few months for years now

until ether goes proof of stake +12 months, so even if that happened tomorrow they're still hosed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Plank Walker posted:

how does this even work? are they just buying the rights to the proof of stake ETH that current ETH holders will get after the split?

it's some smart contract bullshit where the tokens will not allow themselves to be spent until certain conditions are met, namely the switch to proof of stake and the time elapsed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
decentralization means I can do what I want, when I want, where I want, to whom I want, with zero consequences

wait why won't anyone pay me to do this any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"Tons of amazingly talented people were looking for a seat on the next rocket ship, not realizing that crypto's more of a rollercoaster."

he does realize that rollercoasters come to a stop at 0 altitude after the wild swings right