Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Amethyst posted:

Top voted reddit comments are all TA nonsense like this:

“Last time it bounced right off the 200 week moving average, which was around $3,200. This time the 200 week moving average is around $5,000, which is also a nice round psychological number. Seems like a nice place to start a position.”

Ah,

ta is complete nonsense even in the real stock market let alone in the fake one. tech analysis is nothing more than overeager pattern matching by our dumb monkey brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it true that like military generals have an assistant trailing them so the assistant can hand out a coin to everyone the general shakes hands with

every three/four star admiral i ever encountered when i was in the navy had an o-4 (major or lt commander depending on branch) whose job was literally keep pockets full of coins and stand behind the gladhanding admiral. they would be required to have a coin ready every time the admiral reached back for one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

iirc grover sold the haus a few years back.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i wish i was a night instead i just have something pretentious i can put behind my name.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

for example, ross thought he was successfully laundering/obfuscating his transactions where he paid “hitmen” to commit murders. tracing them was trivial.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bonfire Lit posted:

writing "all of this money goes to my children, not the IRS" into your will is the one weird trick governments hate

if you actually have enough money that the irs is going to get any when you die, you have enough to pay lawyers to minimize it first.

less than 2% of americans right now could even be subject to the estate tax.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sham bam bamina! posted:

lmfo 10 is never not disgusting

i really hate that its my main os. there really is no good os right now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Qwertycoatl posted:

it's a well known accounting fraud thing. if you're cooking the books, it's generally not a one and done thing, you have to keep doing the same fraud over and over to sustain the original lie, and add in new fraud to maintain the illusion of profitabliilty, and then do more fraud to cover up that fraud, and so on

riding a tiger isn't so bad - its the dismount that is problematic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shame Boy posted:

oh they mean the guy agent smith played in lord of the rings don't they, i forgot this is the internet nobody is actually clever.

anyway their gallery of white men is pretty good too

https://elrond.com/team/

co-founded by a self-taught tech whiz kid, please take all my money

e: holy wow this dude's neckbeard is some next-level poo poo

right below the picture he is cofounder and cio but in the text description he's the cto.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

not necessarily created or obtained illegally - ship seizures are done in rem as well when there is a workplace liability issue or any other issue that could cause a vessel to get seized.

in rem stuff is used anytime there is dubious ownership as a way for the feds to go "we have this, and we're going to take and sell it. if you have any interest, better step up now cause its about to be gone forever."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grace Baiting posted:

why is ross unjustly imprisoned when all other website makers remain free to this day

well, blake benthall struck a plea deal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/coinerstakingls/status/1394899051171106817

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

infernal machines posted:

at what point do they exceed the amount of usd in circulation?

there are 1.2tn dollars or so in circulation. i think they still have a while to go. however, in order for usdt to be backed by usd, that would mean they already have an appreciable percentage of all usd period which is dubious at best.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shame Boy posted:

idk if you missed it but a few weeks ago we learned that 100% of tethers are fully backed 100% by 3% cash

i'm aware, and i think 3% is probably generous. they're backed by nothing but crypto hopes and prayers. i was mainly pointing out how absurd it would be for someone to be holding half a bezos or so in cash.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i mean, he’s not wrong.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Muscle Tracer posted:

is "bitcoin cash" somehow different from "bitcoin"?

bch is a fork of btc with larger block sizes so they can process more than 7 transactions a second. the proponents of it get very very mad with you call it the wrong thing and it's basically just another shitcoin.

if you had any btc before the fork, you have both btc and bch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

so hey, i'm not gonna actually read the past few pages, but did y'all see that the infrastructure bill amended section 6050i to include crypto transactions? 6050i is the provision that requires banks or any other business that receives payment of >$10k in cash to report the person's info to the irs. any business that accepts crypto after the bill is signed by biden will have to do full kyc reporting for all transactions greater than 10k. violations of 6050i are a felony.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shifty Pony posted:

would that include people trading crypto? that's really the only way I can see it making a difference because at this point actually using crypto to buy anything is just storytime that lets people pretend their gambling is investing.

I guess it could make self-dealing NFTs to pump their value less attractive.

quote:

(a) Cash receipts of more than $10,000 Any person—
(1) who is engaged in a trade or business, and
(2) who, in the course of such trade or business, receives more than $10,000 in cash in 1 transaction (or 2 or more related transactions),
shall make the return described in subsection (b) with respect to such transaction (or related transactions) at such time as the Secretary may by regulations prescribe.

i'd have to dig into the regulations, but essentially if anything you're doing is business related (even sole proprietorships), and you receive $10k+ in cash, you have to report.

the amount of coins moving around in the course of some trade or business is a pretty massive swathe. it's all going to depend on how the treasury regs shake out. there are gonna be a lotta mad coiners as people move onto other methods that aren't so easily traceable (such as actual cash again) for money laundering art.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

here's the reg as it stands now - https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.6050I-1

it's pretty broad. i can't imagine how that won't include the majority of crypto transactions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

this is the literal text of the amendment.

(3) Treatment as cash for purposes of section 6050i.--
Section 6050I(d) of such Code is amended by striking ``and'' at
the end of paragraph (1), by striking the period at the end of
paragraph (2) and inserting ``, and'', and by inserting after
paragraph (2) the following new paragraph:
``(3) any digital asset (as defined in section
6045(g)(3)(D)).''.
(c) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section shall
apply to returns required to be filed, and statements required to be
furnished, after December 31, 2023.

as of the effective date, unless this gets specifically repealed, all crypto will fall under the statute. just reading this into the existing treasury regs covers most crypto transactions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

here is the definition of a digital asset:

B) Definition of digital asset.--Section
6045(g)(3) of such Code is amended by adding at the end
the following new subparagraph:
``(D) Digital asset.--Except as otherwise provided
by the Secretary, the term `digital asset' means any
digital representation of value which is recorded on a
cryptographically secured distributed ledger or any
similar technology as specified by the Secretary.'

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

in sum loving :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i actually misread - its not crypto transactions in excess of 10k - its any crypto transaction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i will note, that the reporting requirements only require people who are receiving digital assets as a course of business. people sending doge to each other as reddit tips or whatever wouldn't be covered.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gazpacho posted:

are you sure? I don't see where the law makes an exception to the $10k threshold.

I read the language of (d)(2) to mean that if you accept two $5,000 paper obligations in satisfaction of $10,000 due, you have to report (but not one in satisfaction of $5,000)

the new definition is in the bill not on anything current.

it changes 6050i to saying reporting is necessary for receipts of cash greater than 10k to receipt of cash greater than 10k and upon receipt of any digital asset.

Shifty Pony posted:

miners get a fee from the spender each time Bitcoin or any other crypto currency is spent. if this does cover "any" crypto transaction then arguably any US mining operation would need to satisfy KYC regulations for every single transaction.

receiving a block reward from the system isn’t the same as someone paying you with a bitcoin.

that’s what this is set to cover - businesses that touch the poop will have to keep track of customers and report all poop touching to the irs. individuals should have been reporting their own poop touching activity aa their commodity trading is taxable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chalks posted:

does that include all transactions on a crypto exchange too, since they're receiving it in the course of doing business, even if they're not being paid in it?

crypto exchanges are the ones that are going to be most impacted, imo. same with any nft marketplace. to conduct business in the usa they’re gonna have to get all the kyc info and submit it to the irs for their users.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

this won’t be an onerous hurdle for anyone operating legitimately. if the crypto business is backed with legitimate actors, this should have very little to no impact.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

like the treasury isn't going to come out and say "every single crypto transaction between private parties must be reported under penalty of felony."

they're going to say "all us crypto exchanges or businesses that receive crypto will have to report transactions and kyc information." this is no different than how things are handled with banks and other businesses.

i am very skeptical that many american crypto businesses survive as a result because the the underlying backbone for crypto is illicit activity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

infernal machines posted:

this poo poo is going to be hilarious in hindsight if we get a good crypto triggered black tuesday

they are really not happy with the 6050i change because kyc is a step too far for crypto.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

so many bag holders are gonna get burned hard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

like ordinary people have tens of thousands tied up in this poo poo. there's gonna be no recourse. they're just gonna lose it all. it's gonna really suck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kazinsal posted:

my retirement savings is all in normal index funds and the like but I'd happily eat a wall street crash to see crypto die forever. not like I'm going to actually get to retire lmao

i have some exposure to an s&p 500 etf, but i feel dirty about it because of tesla's inclusion. i may yank it out this week.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/AdamUltraberg/status/1524591707664248832

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

akadajet posted:

I don't know what's happening but I hope bitcoin dries up

ransomware dried up since russia locked itself away from the world's internet and as a result crypto volume cratered and a few cashouts plus people running arbitrage attacks against dumb contracts have caused prices to plummet and a lot of idiots to have massive losses.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

alex jones just got a big crypto payment and you can bet your rear end he cashed out immediately. the volume in the btc world is so thin, that his million dollar cashout or whatever could crater the price as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommieGIR posted:

The whole diamond hands thing is hilarious: Because trading is buying AND selling, not sitting on devalued assets.

in forex trading it has been empirically shown that an automated loss-exit strategy is a net positive in the long run. however, this strategy is counter to natural human behavior.

basically, if you set every trade to cash out immediately at a small loss or large gain, you'll take a lot of tiny losses but gain more than enough on winners to make up for it. however, humans suffer from what is known as the disposition effect. so when a human watches the trade, even if they set stop losses or take profits at the start of the trade, they'll cut winners too soon and hold onto losers forever if they can change their stop loss.

the people who started yelling diamond hands at others were, in large part, making sure that the bagholders they were duping kept holding the bags long enough for them to make money off of it. people on wallstreetbets aren't just jackasses off the street. a loving bloomberg terminal is tens of thousands of dollars a month. all the meme stock and crypto poo poo has been predatory from the start.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

i would like to see this empirical study because as you've described it, it doesn't sound likely that it's accurate. forex is a negative-sum game (once you include the house's cut, like all commodities trading). so it seems much more likely to me that in the particular sample studied that was true, but that if you repeated the game in other samples you would get different results. that would be expected simply based on how you described it, the strategy's effectiveness would swing wildly based on how many rare "hits" you have in the sample size.

the only way you can have a net positive strategy in a net negative game like forex is if you have an information advantage (not present here, but you can have it in other circumstances like blackjack card counting), or the other side has managed to develop a strategy provably worse than average and insists on using it (and that seems unlikely).

after all if the study you're describing is true, goldman would code it into a bot and let the bot trade, as would its competitors, until all the profit from that strategy was squeezed out of the market.

responded via pm rather than continuing a derail in the buttcoin thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Beeftweeter posted:

forex trading is absolutely rigged either way. iirc deutsche bank and barclays (both in london) had a system going where they'd tip eachother off on currency movement, allowing both to absolutely clean up even in the event of a horrifyingly bad trade

all gambling is rigged against the gambler.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hammerite posted:

just catching up on the grey thread and saw this mentioned, which I don't think came up here. stopping in to have a sensible chuckle

https://cryptoslate.com/scream-protocol-losses-millions-to-stablecoin-depeg/

loooooooooooooooooooooool

george soros did something similar to all this to the bank of england decades ago to the tune of £1.5bn or something like that because they insisted on maintaining a fixed exchange rate between pounds and one of the german marks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

40% of us bitcoin mining is on texas' overstrained grid

https://twitter.com/horatioalgorthm/status/1528162897129619456