Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Following up the previous "Arrowverse" crossovers Earth X and Elseworld comes what is possibly the most ambitious television crossover event in history: CW's Crisis on Infinite Earths. Based on the classic DC comic story, we find the heroes of our story embroiled in their greatest battle yet, for their very existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTX9u9Ki5yQ

What do you need to know?

Honestly, a healthy knowledge of the CW super hero shows wouldn't hurt. Crisis looks like it will be drawing on the 8 year history and beyond. At the very least you should watch Elseworlds from last year to get the ground floor events that lead to this.

Here's what we know so far (stolen from Polygon and spoilered)

quote:

TheThe 2019 fall TV season is in full swing, and that means The CW’s yearly Arrowverse shows have made their return. But this fall is different than previous years; not only is Arrow hanging up its bow after its 10-episode final season and Batwoman stepping up in its place, but the yearly crossover is an adaptation of the 1985 maxiseries Crisis on Infinite Earths. Just like in the comics, the entire multiverse is in danger, affecting shows such as Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and even Black Lightning.

And the multiverse being in danger means that we can get cameos from many more DC Comics TV shows and movies than just the Arrowverse. The CW has yet to reveal any actual footage from the crossover, but what they have done is spent months announcing that this thing will be packed with guest stars. Some expected, others not, all of them pretty interesting.

Here is every cameo (that we currently know of) to come in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

TOM WELLING & ERICA DURANCE AS SUPERMAN AND LOIS LANE
For better or worse, everyone remembers the CW series Smallville. The then-modern Superman origin story with the cheesiest theme song will be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earths, thanks to cameos from Tom Welling and Erica Durance. Welling played Clark Kent back in the day, and Durance joined the show in season as Lois Lane.

Even though Smallville ended in 2011, neither actor has been too far away from DC shows. Welling was a recurring character during the third season of Fox’s Lucifer, and Durance has shown up on Supergirl as Kara’s mother, Alura Zor-El, since season two.

Sadly, it seems that they’ll be the only members of the show to make an appearance in Crisis. Michael Rosenbaum, who played Lex Luthor on the show,

BRANDON ROUTH AS SUPERMAN
Before Henry Cavill was snapping necks and getting mustaches digitally erased, the last man to play Superman on the silver screen was Brandon Routh in the 2006 film Superman Returns. In the years since then, Routh has moved on to play Ray Palmer, aka the Atom, in the CW’s Legends of Tomorrow.

And Routh will be pulling double duty for Crisis. Not only will he be showing up as the Atom, he’s also going to be playing the 2006 Superman from his movie. Routh’s Superman is also said to be drawing a lot of inspiration from the hit 1996 storyline Kingdom Come, right down to the costume.

Sadly, Crisis is going to be Routh’s last crossover for the foreseeable future. When Legends of Tomorrow returns in 2020, Routh and his wife Courtney Ford (who plays Nora Darhk on the show) will depart at some point during the season.

TYLER HOECHLIN & BITSIE TULLOCH AS SUPERMAN AND LOIS LANE
Yeah, there’s multiple Supermans and Lois Lanes (Loises Lane?) showing up during the crossover, and the Arrowverse’s Superman and Lois will be among them.

Hoechlin has been playing Superman on Supergirl for limited appearances since season 2, while Tulloch only recently appeared with last year’s crossover, Elseworlds. That same crossover revealed that Lois and Clark had gotten engaged and that they were expecting a baby. Get used to seeing those two more often, because they’re getting their own show in the near future.

JOHN WESLEY SHIPP AS … TBD
Shipp has been sticking with the speedsters for decades. He played the Flash in the superhero’s 1990s TV series, with the Arrowverse later snagging him in The Flash to play Barry’s dad Henry Allen. Years later, he got to suit up again as a speedster, playing the Flash of Earth-3, Jay Garrick. And, of course, he showed up briefly in last year’s Elseworlds as the Flash of Earth-90, only to get poofed away by the Monitor.

You won’t be surprised to learn that Shipp is coming back for Crisis, though his role is very much under wraps. He could always come back as Jay for one last run, but there’s also the very real chance he shows up as his Earth-90 self again.

KEVIN CONROY & BURT WARD AS BATMAN AND ROBIN
Crisis’ cameos won’t just be filled with former Superman actors, as Batman alums Kevin Conroy and Burt Ward will both make appearances during the event. Conroy, of course, has been voicing Batman in pretty much everything for decades, from Batman: The Animated Series to the Arkham games. He’ll be playing an older version of Bruce Wayne.

Burt Ward is best known for playing Robin in the live action Batman series from the 1960s. Ward is expected to play a much older version of Dick Grayson, though it isn’t clear if their characters will be from the same universe. It’s not even clear what universe Conroy’s Wayne will be from, since the Earth-1 set Batwoman establishes that Batman mysteriously vanished years ago.

ASHLEY SCOTT AS HELENA WAYNE
Before the CW entered the superhero game with Smallville, there was the short-lived Birds of Prey, set in Neo-Gotham. The series will get a shout out during Crisis with a cameo from its lead actor Ashley Scott, who played Batman and Catwoman’s daughter Helena Kyle, AKA the Huntress, on the show.

Fun fact: Scott isn’t the first cast member from BoP to transfer to the Arrowverse. That honor goes to Batwoman’s Rachel Skarsten, who plays the show’s lead villain, Alice. Before this, she was on BoP as Dinah, the Black Canary’s daughter with superpowers of her own. There’s no word yet on if Skarsten will return to that role for a cameo, but anything is possible.

OSRIC CHAU AS RYAN CHOI
Crisis on Infinite Earths won’t just spend time looking back, it’ll also be looking forward with at least two of its guest stars. Longtime CW watchers may remember Chau as the prophet Kevin Tran on Supernatural. Chau will be making his Arrowverse debut as Ryan Choi, aka the second Atom. Choi has been mentioned previously on The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, and here he’s said to be have a key role in the coming Crisis.

Ryan has been showing up a lot in extended media over the years; in addition to being in the recent run of Justice League of America comics, he’s popped up in animated features like Young Justice and various DC films, and was a DLC fighter in Injustice 2. He’s believed to be sticking around once the crossover ends, and with Routh leaving Legends soon after, the Waverider could use another genius on the ship.

STEPHEN LOBO
Longtime comics readers know that there’s one vital piece to Crisis on Infinite Earths that has yet to be brought up in the TV shows: The Spectre. He’s one of the only beings in the DCU who can physically fight the Anti-Monitor, and is the reason for the heroes coming together in the first place. In October, the CW announced announced that Stephen Lobo will be taking on the role of the spectral antihero.

Lobo will first appear during the crossover as Spectre’s human identity, a cop named Jim Corrigan who eventually becomes bonded to the cosmic entity that makes up the Spirit of Vengeance. (Not the other one.)

There’s still weeks before Crisis premieres, and it’s possible that The CW is keeping some of the guest stars under wraps as best they can. Maybe plans changed, and we’ll even see Lynda Carter show up after all.

Perhaps it’s too much to expect any cast member from recent DC movies to make an appearance. Then again, if there’s one thing that the Arrowverse has taught us, it’s that nothing is truly out of the realm of possibility.

There's been dozens of rumors as to who and what else will show up, we'll just have to wait and see.

WHEN IS THIS AIRING?

The five-hour crossover’s first three episodes will air in December, with the final two installments arriving after the winter hiatus in Jan. 2020. Here’s the full schedule below, with some of the shows airing on special nights:

Supergirl: Sunday, Dec. 8 at 8 p.m.

Batwoman: Monday, Dec. 9 at 8 p.m.

The Flash: Tuesday, Dec. 10 at 8 p.m.

Arrow: Tuesday, Jan 14 at 8 p.m.

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow: Tuesday, Jan 14. at 9 p.m.

What do I do next?

Discuss!

Edit: It appears that the the Monday episode of Black Lightning will show the title character being thrown into the Crisis so don't miss the last few minutes there either!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I probably forgot to put in stuff people will want to know, if there's critical info, write it up and I will add it in!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
A month gap for the conclusion is stupid garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Agreed, you know pt 3 is gonna be cliffhangery as gently caress.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

LongDarkNight posted:

A month gap for the conclusion is stupid garbage.

Ive tried to avoid any spoilers, so this may already be public knowledge or debunked, but my assumption is they’ll try to do the same as Infinity War/Endgame, the first 3 episodes will result in the Anti-Monitor blowing stuff up, with the two-parter in January to undo it/create the new status quo; basically split it into two big parts for maximum hype, ease of writing, etc. So, while it’s still a big gap, from a narrative standpoint it may be a good idea for a break in the middle to avoid DC/CW fatigue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We don't actually know much about the plot and narrative yet so you might be dead on. We know the basics but the pacing of the story is a mystery.

Spoiler guess in case it's dead on
There will be one major scene that involves Routh, Hoechlin and Welling, all in costume as Superman defeating a major foe that will serve as a send off for Routh, redemption for Welling and the future for Hoechlin.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

There will be one major scene that involves Routh, Hoechlin and Welling, all in costume as Superman defeating a major foe that will serve as a send off for Routh, redemption for Welling and the future for Hoechlin.

assorted Supermen are going to punch the Anti-Monitor into the sun and it's gonna be great

I'm interested if they're going to name the Anti-Monitor Mandrakk to go with Final Crisis.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Ive tried to avoid any spoilers, so this may already be public knowledge or debunked, but my assumption is they’ll try to do the same as Infinity War/Endgame, the first 3 episodes will result in the Anti-Monitor blowing stuff up, with the two-parter in January to undo it/create the new status quo; basically split it into two big parts for maximum hype, ease of writing, etc. So, while it’s still a big gap, from a narrative standpoint it may be a good idea for a break in the middle to avoid DC/CW fatigue.

I don't want the Crisis to be anything like Endgame or the last two episodes will make me realize how much time I've wasted on eight years of CW shows

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

I don't want the Crisis to be anything like Endgame or the last two episodes will make me realize how much time I've wasted on eight years of CW shows

I think we're all aware of how much time we've wasted. Just go check out the Batwoman thread. :)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fixed your tag fam! was so tempted to give it the Canada one.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Thanks for this.

I'm caught up on Flash and the previous crossovers (none of which really seemed to require knowledge of the other shows, minus that one Arrow 100th episode deal) but is there any other series I should at least wiki the synopsis for before this starts?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

Thanks for this.

I'm caught up on Flash and the previous crossovers (none of which really seemed to require knowledge of the other shows, minus that one Arrow 100th episode deal) but is there any other series I should at least wiki the synopsis for before this starts?

Black Lightning will be participating in the crossover so read up on who he is and what he can do and then binge watch the show because it is excellent. Mouse over the spoilers and see if you need any background on those as well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

I think we're all aware of how much time we've wasted. Just go check out the Batwoman thread. :)

I will never read the batwoman thread

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

We don't actually know much about the plot and narrative yet so you might be dead on. We know the basics but the pacing of the story is a mystery.

Routh is leaving in episode 9 or 10 of Legends.

The CW released synopses for the first three episodes, there's nothing super spoilery in there, but I'll just include the link if people want to go into the event completely cold

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

The CW released synopses for the first three episodes, there's nothing super spoilery in there, but I'll just include the link if people want to go into the event completely cold

I meant for his Superman, the finality he never got in film.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought that Batwoman's timing for the upcoming crisis is current since she was already operating during the Elseworlds crossover last year? Also, I'm calling it now that in Batwoman, Kevin Conroy will play a middle aged version of Bruce Wayne/Batman since he seems to of been doing the superhero identity for a while. I also think that his disappearance has something to do with the Monitor as well..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vietnamwees posted:

I thought that Batwoman's timing for the upcoming crisis is current since she was already operating during the Elseworlds crossover last year? Also, I'm calling it now that in Batwoman, Kevin Conroy will play a middle aged version of Bruce Wayne/Batman since he seems to of been doing the superhero identity for a while. I also think that his disappearance has something to do with the Monitor as well..

Well Conroy appears to be playing Kingdom Come Bruce Wayne and I believe has been confirmed to not be from Earth 1. They most likely want to keep that casting option open.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Hey do you have a source on this? Because Routh publicly posted that Oct 25th was his final day of filming with the Legends team which was during the Crisis production. He posted several "looking back" images on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DiC5gFVcZ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

From everything I can find, Crisis is his final appearance as a regular in any role.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

howe_sam posted:

Goddamnit, regarding that episode 3 synopsis, Ollie and Diggle are going back to that goddamn loving island, aren’t they.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Thaddius the Large posted:

Goddamnit, regarding that episode 3 synopsis, Ollie and Diggle are going back to that goddamn loving island, aren’t they.

Well, it's either that or the basement of the nightclub from the first 3 seasons. Can't think of anywhere else that would be stomping ground for those two specifically.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
IGN has a full promo poster for Crisis up on their site now.

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/1197939037463404545/photo/1

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Flash-90 tucked away in the corner :hai:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

:hellyeah:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know he's an Arrowverse regular now but with no previous mention of him I've noticed I'm real happy to see Constantine on that poster.

Also I'm never gonna manage to finish Black Lightning AND Constantine AND rewatch Elseworlds before Crisis. drat. Forget trying to suffer through Birds of Prey or 90s Flash.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Hey do you have a source on this?

I thought I did, but I do not, so I'm probably wrong.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
If Diggle doesn't become the Green Lantern during or after CoIE, this whole Arrowverse would have been for nothing.

Yes, I know there's a GL show in plans for HBO. It's not the same, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I know he's an Arrowverse regular now but with no previous mention of him I've noticed I'm real happy to see Constantine on that poster.

Also I'm never gonna manage to finish Black Lightning AND Constantine AND rewatch Elseworlds before Crisis. drat. Forget trying to suffer through Birds of Prey or 90s Flash.

You don't have to watch BL or Constantine for Crisis. I mean, both are good, watch them whenever, but as long as you know the characters, that's all you'll need for Crisis.

edit: oh I misread your post, it seems like you're on some mad quest to consume all media even kind of related to the Arrowverse. Shine on then, you crazy diamond.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TwoPair posted:

You don't have to watch BL or Constantine for Crisis. I mean, both are good, watch them whenever, but as long as you know the characters, that's all you'll need for Crisis.

edit: oh I misread your post, it seems like you're on some mad quest to consume all media even kind of related to the Arrowverse. Shine on then, you crazy diamond.

Yeah, I know I don't HAVE to. I'm just being an obsessive completist nerd and creating a list of everything I could possibly link to Crisis. Realistically I'll probably just finish catching up with Black Lightning (because I really like it but I got distracted and never finished S2 or started S3) and try and squeeze in an Elseworlds rewatch. And I've been meaning to watch Constantine forever but I always watch 2 episodes and then get distracted, but that probably will be for another time. Everything else is just 75% jokey.

Except Smallville. I ain't even gonna joke about rewatching Smallville.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Hold up, Matthew "loving" Kellogg is playing the Spectre?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Catching up on Black Lightning S2 and I just wanna say that if anyone was like me and foolishly lost touch with it at some point for some reason they should correct that. drat, it's a good show. That it has me crying for a villain is some unexpected poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Hold up, Matthew "loving" Kellogg is playing the Spectre?

He is and they have long term plans according to his social media.

I cant remember, Haha Roger Cross been in an Arrowverse show?

Edit: This is a great photo

Routh is a beast.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 23, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Of course, he had a recurring bit as a detective in Arrow for multiple seasons until he got killed in season 4?

Hell, iirc the very first person to fail the city was Inspector Dillon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't believe I forgot about that. I feel so ashamed.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Routh's performance in Superman returns doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. There's a fair amount of problems with that movie, but given that the film's overall intent was "carry on the legacy of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies" Routh wasn't part of the problem, he did a really good job carrying that version of the character forward.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 23, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NowonSA posted:

Routh's performance in Superman returns doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. There's a fair amount of problems with that movie, but given that the film's overall intent was "carry on the legacy of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies" Routh wasn't part of it, he did a really good job carrying that version of the character forward.

I absolutely agree. He had to deal with Bryan Singer's daddy issues and obsession with Richard Donner being a surrogate father figure. But really, his performance as Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman is spot on. I'm just so glad his career rebounded on television and he showed us just how fun and funny he could be. His brief part in Scott Pilgrim didn't hurt either. I really can't express how wonderful it was to see him back in the suit again, even if it's a KC update of his film costume.

(Tyler is 100% standing on a pile of phone books)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ll take superman returns over man of steel or Batman vs superman any day. That being said I wish I could have seen Cavill in a competently made superman film; I think he could have had potential.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd also have liked to see Routh in a feature without Singer at the helm. Cavill publicly stated the other day that he isn't done as Superman yet so we may still get another version with him. Superman Returns tugs the nostalgia strings for me because of where I was in 2006 but it has aged terribly and aside from Routh and Langella there's nothing of substance there for me. It also looks very bad. MoS on the other hand has a wonderful cast across the board, looks amazing but also suffers from issues with the plot.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I agree; I do think they both got screwed, and they both had potential to be excellent Supermen. I'm just saying, if you held a gun to my head and forced me to watch either Superman Returns or one of the three movies that Cavil was in; I'm going to pick Returns every single time. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch any of them if I didn't have to though.

On a more general note as well I think it's really hard to keep coming up with good compelling stories for superheros that are relatively overpowered like Superman, Flash, Captain Marvel, etc. (the latter in particular is nuts if her appearances so far in the MCU are anything to go by. I'll be fascinated to see how they manage to come up with a good sequel movie for her)

I've always found the unpowered or more low level powered superheros to be more compelling.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 23, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Crosses on Infinite Earths :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Put Eugene Levy in Crisis you cowards