Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Jon Cryer elevated the material on Supergirl to a whole new level. And the general sentiment in the Supergirl thread was that he was going to suck. Quite a few complaints about his actual age too for some reason.

I think most people were responding to the fact that Cryer is only five years younger than his "mother". They even made it a joke in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

I think I agree that season 2 of Supergirl was the most consistent throughout, but I also think there's a lot to recommend Season 4, so I wouldn't necessarily call it the bad one. Cryer, Witwer, and the guy playing Otis were all great, as was Benoist as Red Daughter, plus they gave The Americans a shoutout! It's just a shame some of the messaging got a little muddled along the way, and everything involving Manchester Black and the Elite felt like trying to give J'onn something to do. I would also point out there are good things to Season One (the crossover episode, Cat Grant, Livewire, the Superman 3 episode, a Batman v Superman fight with emotional heft) it was just a very different show. Sometimes I think it's a shame they moved production away from LA, but I wouldn't trade the crossovers for non-Canadian day players.

Thinking it over, it's really noticeable that Supergirl has this weird thing where there's always a switcheroo involving the true end boss of the season with somewhere between four to five episodes of the finale, sometimes it works really well, like when Teri Hatcher showed up or Lex rolls in, and other times you get Non or the Kryptonian witches. I'm curious what they're going to pull out of their hat to undercut Leviathan this year.

I think S4 was awful but then when Lex showed up and saved that city season.

I think the undercut for this season has already been revealed as Lex and/or Lena

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 30, 2020

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Rhyno posted:

Jon Cryer elevated the material on Supergirl to a whole new level. And the general sentiment in the Supergirl thread was that he was going to suck. Quite a few complaints about his actual age too for some reason.

To most people, including myself, he was mostly known for playing an annoying and whiny poo poo in an unfunny and misogynistic “live audience” sitcom that somehow ended up being one of the most successful tv shows of all time. Still, he really nailed Lex Luthor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kjetting posted:

To most people, including myself, he was mostly known for playing an annoying and whiny poo poo in an unfunny and misogynistic “live audience” sitcom that somehow ended up being one of the most successful tv shows of all time. Still, he really nailed Lex Luthor.

Yeah and some of us remember the cinematic masterpiece Hiding Out

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't even like the movie but I'm having one of those "I'm old" moments realizing that there are people who see Jon Cryer and don't think of Pretty in Pink.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I don't even like the movie but I'm having one of those "I'm old" moments realizing that there are people who see Jon Cryer and don't think of Pretty in Pink.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I not caught up with Arrow so I don’t want to go into its thread but can someone tell me how they handled Laurel post Crisis? Is it still the evil turned good laurel? How does that work?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

I not caught up with Arrow so I don’t want to go into its thread but can someone tell me how they handled Laurel post Crisis? Is it still the evil turned good laurel? How does that work?

They kind of hedged their bets on it. Earth-2 Laurel is now Earth Prime Laurel, so she’s the Laurel we have going forward. When she talks with Quentin, she’s got survivor’s guilt that Oliver seemingly kept her around and didn’t bring back Earth-1 Laurel, but Quentin reassures her it’s okay and that she’s just as good and valid of a person as OG Laurel. Later at Oliver’s funeral when talking to Tommy Merlyn, Tommy tells Laurel that Earth-1 Laurel I guess did come back, or at least she was married to Tommy in post-Crisis Earth Prime, but died anyway, only probably not at the hands of Damien Darhk.

Something something Speed Force, I ain’t gotta explain poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

They kind of hedged their bets on it. Earth-2 Laurel is now Earth Prime Laurel, so she’s the Laurel we have going forward. When she talks with Quentin, she’s got survivor’s guilt that Oliver seemingly kept her around and didn’t bring back Earth-1 Laurel, but Quentin reassures her it’s okay and that she’s just as good and valid of a person as OG Laurel. Later at Oliver’s funeral when talking to Tommy Merlyn, Tommy tells Laurel that Earth-1 Laurel I guess did come back, or at least she was married to Tommy in post-Crisis Earth Prime, but died anyway, only probably not at the hands of Damien Darhk.

Something something Speed Force, I ain’t gotta explain poo poo.

To circle that square, I think it's that Tommy didn't die to his dad's earthquake machine and ended up marrying Prime Laurel who then subsequently was killed by Dahrk

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

To circle that square, I think it's that Tommy didn't die to his dad's earthquake machine and ended up marrying Prime Laurel who then subsequently was killed by Dahrk

I’m going to assume that in this history Tommy became Prometheus (like was originally planned) to get revenge on Oliver for getting his wife killed doing vigilante poo poo, only Olly spared him in the end and they became friends again like what happened to Earth-2 Tommy at the start of the season.

There, I have fixed Season 5 :buddy:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I don't even like the movie but I'm having one of those "I'm old" moments realizing that there are people who see Jon Cryer and don't think of SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, there was nothing indicating that Laurel didn't become the Canary and get killed by Darkh. They just didn't address it. Theoretically Tommy not dying and Laurel marrying him might have cut off the alcoholism, but then again her sister still died so maybe it didn't. Who knows?

They made a point to be vague with the changes and have Moira give a "I think Oliver only changed things that didn't change him and the man he became" handwave. So like, they want us to assume the majority of Arrow continuity is intact, I think, despite the handful of Oliver wish list resurrections.

DC totally gonna release an Arrowverse 52 comic book to milk money out of obsessed nerds fill in the blanks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, there was nothing indicating that Laurel didn't become the Canary and get killed by Darkh. They just didn't address it. Theoretically Tommy not dying and Laurel marrying him might have cut off the alcoholism, but then again her sister still died so maybe it didn't. Who knows?

Yeah there's a ton of paradoxes that should have come from Ollie's rewrites (like, if Moira lives, then Thea probably never leaves to get trained by Merlyn), but it's all clearly a "shut up and enjoy the happy ending we gave these characters" situation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's probably lots of explanations that could be made. Like Moira lives but Thea still finds out that she's Merlyn's kid so gets angry and runs off and goes down the same path. But like there would be dozens of questions like that and it would be very silly to have the characters all just bringing them up and exposition dumping in the series finale. Plus it would lock you in to stuff if you wanted to do something later in the Arrowverse.

If you care to find out go check out After Arrow 52 #1 this Wednesday!
*not a real product as far as I know.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
With Tommy, he straight up says that on his earth his was married to Laurel, does that mean that everyone who's come back is just from another earth where they didn't die?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

With Tommy, he straight up says that on his earth his was married to Laurel, does that mean that everyone who's come back is just from another earth where they didn't die?

I'm betting J'onn had a very exasperated conversation with Dinah, Rene and Dig like "Okay, HOW many people do I have to memory reboot? :manning:"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm betting J'onn had a very exasperated conversation with Dinah, Rene and Dig like "Okay, HOW many people do I have to memory reboot? :manning:"

Why do you think he helped Cisco make a ring that does it? He needed to find a way to get them off his back. He didn’t even give them a button in the Tower. J’onn is ghosting Team Arrow’s calls.

The “my earth” thing could have just been because he was speaking to a version of his dead wife from another Earth discussing a third Earth where he had died. His history as far as he knows it is all on this Earth but he knows his wife died and now there’s another version of her talking to him saying she’s from “Earth 2”. And has probably spend the last few weeks having a lot of weird conversations of with his family and friends. It’s a testament he’s speaking in coherent sentences.

None of them are really from this Earth. Or they all are. It’s a weird philosophical or metaphysical question. Leave it for the comic book philosophers.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 1, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nine-gear crow posted:

Earth-2 Laurel is now Earth Prime Laurel
She's still Earth 2 Laurel. Earth Prime Laurel is dead. It's just that there is no Earth 2 any more. Same goes for the other people who survived from the old multiverse. It's a different case for people who got their memories "restored", because they actually are from Earth Prime, they just also have the memories of people who died on Earth 1 or 38. So they remember both versions.

twistedmentat posted:

Nope, Oliver created an entirely new multiverse that contains an Earth (Prime) that has similarities to aspects of various Earths from the previous multiverse.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

She's still Earth 2 Laurel. Earth Prime Laurel is dead. It's just that there is no Earth 2 any more. Same goes for the other people who survived from the old multiverse. It's a different case for people who got their memories "restored", because they actually are from Earth Prime, they just also have the memories of people who died on Earth 1 or 38. So they remember both versions.

Nope, Oliver created an entirely new multiverse that contains an Earth (Prime) that has similarities to aspects of various Earths from the previous multiverse.

Well there is an Earth 2, it's just not that Laurel's Earth 2.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m confused after watching last week’s Canaries pilot how Dinah is here at the GA finale. Or did they travel backwards from the future, for the funeral?

[Ed] like, in the Canaries ep, she kinda just existed in the future timeline cuz she didn’t exist or there was no record of her existing ? But in the finale she’s still there and part of the team and offered a job as police chief or whatever...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 1, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
In the backdoor pilot Dinah says she basically went to bed on the day of the funeral and woke up in 2040.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Q_res posted:

In the backdoor pilot Dinah says she basically went to bed on the day of the funeral and woke up in 2040.

Oh missed that.
Random as gently caress.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Q_res posted:

Legends dropped acid and thought it would be funny to drop her off in the future

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Legends dropped acid and thought it would be funny to drop her off in the future

And instead of, say, picking her up and bringing her back to 2020, Sara instead takes 2020 Laurel to her and drops her off in 2040 too.

e: If Green Arrow and the Canaries is picked up for a series I really hope they make use of time travel and pop back and forth between Present and Future Star City as much as they can. I mean, Mia even has a Time Porter now of her own.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

And instead of, say, picking her up and bringing her back to 2020, Sara instead takes 2020 Laurel to her and drops her off in 2040 too.

e: If Green Arrow and the Canaries is picked up for a series I really hope they make use of time travel and pop back and forth between Present and Future Star City as much as they can. I mean, Mia even has a Time Porter now of her own.

Didn't Dinah say that she was okay staying in 2040 and declined a ride back to 2020?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Didn't Dinah say that she was okay staying in 2040 and declined a ride back to 2020?

She did, but I can easily see Mia and Laurel hopping back and forth. Especially if there's a problem of the week that has a temporal causality element to it. Like "this dude who's super powerful and we can't beat conventionally became a leader in the Deathstroke gang because his dad was killed in 2021, hmmm--TO THE TIME MACHINE, LAUREL!"

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm sure they were setting up the whole how Dinah got there as a thing they'd explore if the show got picked up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its obviously a dangling mystery for the show that might not be. But timeline wise Dinah gets displaced after the funeral but Sara went and picked up Mia after Dinah and Laurel had already awakened her. Because Time Travel is weird or because Sara figured there was no point in getting the Mia that didn't remember her dad or Crisis.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

kjetting posted:

Yeah. I recently finished watching crisis and I didn't know Cryer was Luthor. So my first experience is hearing his shrieking voice in a jailcelq and I was like "oh God no." (And I liked 2.5 men)
But he really nails the part. He's perfectly slimy and smooth at the same time. He's way better at this than he should be.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I love that the result of Crisis is causing every bit as sloppy a continuity mess as the comics crisis and I cannot loving wait until the Legends trigger Zero Hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chokes McGee posted:

I love that the result of Crisis is causing every bit as sloppy a continuity mess as the comics crisis and I cannot loving wait until the Legends trigger Zero Hour.

Arrow recon punch