Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Resting Lich Face posted:

Yep. It's on like page 8 so it's forgivable if you didn't get that far.

I got a little lost in the terminology about halfway through and gave up (“snagger”, swimbait, sight fishing). Just went back and finished it and good lord. Threatening a 13 year-old kid for accidentally seeing his fish cheating setup is wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have a confession to make.

As a child I would cheat at Duck Hunt and that Cop Shoot'em'up game by holding the light gun RIGHT up to the TV and blasting them all. I...I am so sorry.

e: I can't remember what the name of that game is and it's bugging me now but it had like...exploding cars in it and I think you could shout their tires out and poo poo.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Thundercracker posted:

Has there been an AI that can reliably beat a human at Magic: The gathering? I always thought CCGs like that where none of the starting variables were fixed (the contents of decks, starting hands, sideboards) would be hardest to AI. Closed system games like GO and chess were obviously gonna be crushed by AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwYdpPoIcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBYhLttETw

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barudak posted:

I was more stunned there was enough money in Southern California fish tournaments to make $150,000 over his career in winnings.

150k seems like a lot but that was also over like 10 years, which is pretty crappy.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Wow. I can see it doing well at Hearthsone, but I thought AI was years away from being able to dominate something as complicated as DOTA.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
neural networks have been the hottest thing for a few years now, i believe it. the hardest part is training data but on a popular game players are generating that data all the time

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Big Beef City posted:

I have a confession to make.

As a child I would cheat at Duck Hunt and that Cop Shoot'em'up game by holding the light gun RIGHT up to the TV and blasting them all. I...I am so sorry.

you could do worse, just firing directly at a lit light bulb would always register a hit

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Dregs posted:

Wow. I can see it doing well at Hearthsone, but I thought AI was years away from being able to dominate something as complicated as DOTA.

dead prez posted:

neural networks have been the hottest thing for a few years now, i believe it. the hardest part is training data but on a popular game players are generating that data all the time

Once an AI that could beat human masters of go was invented everything else was going to call quickly. I think it's often lost on Western audiences just how deep and complicated of a strategy game Go is- until AlphaGo came onto the scene it was generally considered that it would be decades before ai caught up to human masters of Go. ( it's simply not possible to brute-force calculate the best board position in Go in the way that Deep Blue did to master chess, there are more possible variations of Go than there are subatomic particles in the known universe)

Fun fact: all those machine learning algorithms that are doing everything from targeting us with ads to studying our data to figure out the best way to manipulate us into spending more on microtransactions (and dozens of other nightmare implementations), are all derived from the process that was used to create Google's AlphaGo (the AI that surpassed humans at Go.)

So in a very literal way; solving an ancient Chinese board game has unleashed an artificial intelligence that is currently destroying our society.

It's not the cyberpunk future we wanted, but it is the cyberpunk future we deserve.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 23, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

you could do worse, just firing directly at a lit light bulb would always register a hit

I had been unware of this and now I feel cheated even out of cheating

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

Once an AI that could beat human masters of go was invented everything else was going to call quickly. I think it's often lost on Western audiences just how deep and complicated of a strategy game Go is- until AlphaGo came onto the scene it was generally considered that it would be decades before ai caught up to human masters of Go. ( it's simply not possible to brute-force calculate the best board position in Go in the way that Deep Blue did to master chess, there are more possible variations of Go than there are subatomic particles in the known universe)

Fun fact: all those machine learning algorithms that are doing everything from targeting us with ads to studying our data to figure out the best way to manipulate us into spending more on microtransactions (and dozens of other nightmare implementations), are all derived from the process that was used to create Google's AlphaGo (the AI that surpassed humans at Go.)

So in a very literal way; solving an ancient Chinese board game has unleashed an artificial intelligence that is currently destroying our society.

It's not the cyberpunk future we wanted, but it is the cyberpunk future we deserve.

I think you really need to chill out about Go, dude.

...We're all aware of the advantages and threats AI pose and what witnessing it happening, real-time, is and cause to our society, but, you seem almost hyper-sexual about Go.

It's weird the way you write about it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 23, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Prester Jane posted:

I understand that, but DOTA is something else entirely. The AI has to control 5 team members that can move in any direction and have access to multiple powers that not only affect the enemy, but also their team mates and the environment, plus it has to decide which gear to buy and how to use that, PLUS it has to do this all simultaneously in real time.

I know GO is really deep, but the computer only has to worry about playing one person, and has plenty of time between each singular move. I mean, I know I am wrong and it can do this with ease, but you can see how GO and DOTA are completely different animals.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
Go isn't solved, there's only a computer that can beat players, they haven't actually solved every mathematical permutation yet like Checkers. Same with Chess. also the language Go rules

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

sounds like this guy was up to a lot of fischief!!!

but really that article was fascinating

if you're not cheating you're not trying hard enough

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Mike Long cheats at Magic too

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The one dota match I watched of pros vs the AI had restrictions on what characters and items the pros could use in the match because it would otherwise make the AI meltdown from lack of learning thus far :sad:

This thread is also good place to dump this giant archive website on cheating at poker and card games in general, straight out of 2004. From techniques to tools to tag team tricksters.
http://cardshark.us/home.html

The holdout devices webpage is also a great starting point into amateur DIY BDSM and/or budget Assassin's Creed cosplay!!!

The page also did not forget the ring :goatsecx:

THE RING HOLDOUT posted:

In my opinion this is strictly a sucker item. however, since it was listed in the popular crooked gambling supply catalogs I feel that i should still include it in this description.

A short watch-spring is attached onto a finger ring. Some manipulative skill needs to be employed to use this gadget and it is quite possible that the same thing can be accomplished a lot easier without this gaff. The ring holdout is usually used to quickly steal a card (or cards) off of the top of the deck. This action is technically called "topping the deck".

The deck can be topped right after a round has been dealt. After the deal the dealer will end up with the remainder of the deck in the left hand, in dealing position. It is a natural gesture to use the left hand to pick up the remainder of the deck and put it aside. In this moment, when other players are busy looking at their newly-dealt hands, the dealer steals one or two cards off of the top of the deck as it is put aside. Immediately after the steal he will assemble his own cards by dropping his hand onto them. Again, in my opinion, a simple manipulation is a much better choice. For example, if the dealer loads an extra card to his hand by dealing a double card, he can easily explain the mistake - two cards happen to stick together. But who wants to get caught with a loaded gaff, when the same result can be accomplished with an easier maneuver that can be brushed off as an honest mistake?

Another method to achieve the same result, without the use of a gaff, is by simply palming a card off of the top of the deck. However, the ring holdout will (supposedly) allow a more natural hand gesture and position.

Needless to say that the use of this gaff requires not only some practice but also a nerve.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Big Beef City posted:

...We're all aware of the advantages and threats AI pose and what witnessing it happening, real-time, is and cause to our society, but, you seem almost hyper-sexual about Go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnUYcTuZJpM

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

stories like this about drama from really obscure and small time communities are the best, i would kill for a long form deep dive into something like groverhaus or zybourne clock

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this stupid go computer could never win a fishing tournament

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

There's also an excellent Starcraft 2 bot; Alphastar.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Shouldn't it be five AI trying to play as a team in Dota instead of one? Kinda missing the point otherwise.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

ArmZ posted:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

ArmZ posted:

but it just might figure out how to design and 3D-print a fake fish in order to cheat at fishing tournaments :thunkher:

Mcsaros
Nov 23, 2019

The cheating problem in bridge came immediately to mind.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/07/the-cheating-problem-in-professional-bridge

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Big Beef City posted:

e: I can't remember what the name of that game is and it's bugging me now but it had like...exploding cars in it and I think you could shout their tires out and poo poo.
Lethal Enforcers?

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
They're almost certainly talking about Hogan's Alley.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I can't believe that this turned out to be an article that I read 9 pages of. Good poo poo OP!

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Why are these articles interesting to my small ape brain

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

You haven't peeked out enough into the wider forums to realize who you're talking to but check out their rap sheet.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lazyhound posted:

Lethal Enforcers?

It's totally this. Thank you! Christ literally until this day I haven't thought of this game in god knows how long.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm not sure why this story was so gripping but I was hooked even before the attempted murder.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

the only only other cheating I can do (and don't, because I'm bad at it and don't want to) is some card shuffling/cutting/poo poo to place a card VERY basically. But I learned how because I wanted to be able to spot it if I could.

Anecdotally, a LONG time ago I was out in Vegas, in like '02? and saw Penn and Teller's show at the time and they did a trick where they called up a random dude from the audience to cut the deck of cards. Once cut by the 'member of audience' Penn could then count the exact number of cards left from a freshly opened deck of playing cards, exactly, by weight. That was neat. I was supposed to be "the guy" to cut it but shrugged it off, so it still could have either been a ringer for a cutter or just bullshit, obviously, but either-way, given his card...nuance I wouldn't doubt he'd get close to count either way. It was a great, GREAT trick.

e:and no I'm not saying he was guessing it right every night, it was just presented perfectly, and sometimes cheating comes down to knowing that one card has been sliced open with a razor and another one is slidden inside, so knowing the weight is impotent.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 24, 2019

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I stopped when I realized he was just faking records. I thought somehow he was cheating in actual fishing tournaments.

I met a bunch of old timers at Slim's Fish Camp in Belle Glade and they all hated Roland Martin because he lied about the weight of bass on his fishing show. He'd always say everything was like 10 lbs. Made fun of his helicopter lure too. Called it "the Roland Martin Special."

I don't trust Roland Martin because of this. Bill Dance, however, is a man of integrity. Jimmy Houston is a coke head. Best fishing legend of all time, though, was Otis "Toad" Smith - best catfishman of all time. Had heart surgery once and saved a piece of his heart to catch a channel cat. RIP.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

quote:

Toad hunted and fished all the time not just because it gave him pleasure and delight, but because it was his act of rebellion.

''He would philosophize that fish and deer don`t lie or cheat. They can`t be bought or bribed. They`re not impressed by who you are or your power. They only respond to quietude, endless patience and humility.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Why are these articles interesting to my small ape brain

Twenty minutes ago, if you told me the Italian Foot Soldiers were a pair of cheating bridge players and not some badass military squad from WW2 I wouldn’t believe you.

I read all of the bass cheating article and the bridge article and they were compelling despite the fact I have absolutely no interest in either one.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I stopped when I realized he was just faking records. I thought somehow he was cheating in actual fishing tournaments.
He started out just faking records - the article does continue on to discuss tournaments, but they start at the beginning.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Trying to remain calm and civil as I continue to not send death threats to the address of America's Big Bass Guru Mike Long, who cheated at fishing, for the next five minutes.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I met a bunch of old timers at Slim's Fish Camp in Belle Glade and they all hated Roland Martin because he lied about the weight of bass on his fishing show. He'd always say everything was like 10 lbs. Made fun of his helicopter lure too. Called it "the Roland Martin Special."

I don't trust Roland Martin because of this. Bill Dance, however, is a man of integrity. Jimmy Houston is a coke head. Best fishing legend of all time, though, was Otis "Toad" Smith - best catfishman of all time. Had heart surgery once and saved a piece of his heart to catch a channel cat. RIP.

The article goes into him cheating at fishing tournaments. Keep reading.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Somewhere in the article it said Mike Long bought a huge mansion with a four car garage. He wasn't making that much money from cheating at fishing. What the hell did he do for a living?

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Somewhere in the article it said Mike Long bought a huge mansion with a four car garage. He wasn't making that much money from cheating at fishing. What the hell did he do for a living?

dude have you even heard of herbalife

e. if you've got 5 minutes i can explain

Truck Stop Stall fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

EorayMel posted:

The one dota match I watched of pros vs the AI had restrictions on what characters and items the pros could use in the match because it would otherwise make the AI meltdown from lack of learning thus far :sad:

This thread is also good place to dump this giant archive website on cheating at poker and card games in general, straight out of 2004. From techniques to tools to tag team tricksters.
http://cardshark.us/home.html

The holdout devices webpage is also a great starting point into amateur DIY BDSM and/or budget Assassin's Creed cosplay!!!

The page also did not forget the ring :goatsecx:

This is too much work