Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Somewhere in the article it said Mike Long bought a huge mansion with a four car garage. He wasn't making that much money from cheating at fishing. What the hell did he do for a living?

Those fishing guys have tons of sponsors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Somewhere in the article it said Mike Long bought a huge mansion with a four car garage. He wasn't making that much money from cheating at fishing. What the hell did he do for a living?

Probably taught other people how to cheat at fishing. I think he was the leader of the Cerulean City gym too. That probably pays well.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I had a friend in school who turned pro bass angler and he's only won two tournaments out of 100 but has almost $600k in winnings alone

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

One of the more interesting things I learned was that the "big fish" option is a thing -- and that often in these tournaments it doesn't sound like a particularly large fish. Sometimes the biggest fish in a day would be like a little less than six pounds? I guess all those magazine covers made me thing these guys were landing 15 pound fish 24/7. IDK I just fish for crappie when I do fish and that's a rarity.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Dregs posted:

Wow. I can see it doing well at Hearthsone, but I thought AI was years away from being able to dominate something as complicated as DOTA.

strategically the ai isn't very good but it makes up for it with perfect reaction time and the hive-mind ability to make all 5 heroes instantaneously execute a singular gameplan

also dota has a lot of small binary ways to measure success. killing your opponent, not getting killed, getting last hits, etc. are almost universally good outcomes, but in ccgs it's a lot more unclear how to maximize your long-terms chances of success

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I stopped when I realized he was just faking records. I thought somehow he was cheating in actual fishing tournaments.

Oh man you missed the fish planting.

And thanks OP now I know what all those fishing terms are.

Sometimes is it really cheating if it's just not specified in the rules?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Yunick

quote:

Another Yunick improvisation was getting around the regulations specifying a maximum size for the fuel tank, by using 11-foot (3 meter) coils of 2-inch (5-centimeter) diameter tubing for the fuel line to add about 5 gallons (19 liters) to the car's fuel capacity. Once, NASCAR officials came up with a list of nine items for Yunick to fix before the car would be allowed on the track. The suspicious NASCAR officials had removed the tank for inspection. Yunick started the car with no gas tank and said "Better make it ten,"[4] and drove it back to the pits. He used a basketball in the fuel tank which could be inflated when the car's fuel capacity was checked and deflated for the race.

quote:

In another incident, Yunick showed up for a race with stock rear fenders that partially covered the rear tires of his Chevelle. The car qualified well due to improved aerodynamics but the other teams were laughing and wondering how he was going to change the tires during pit stops. After qualifying, Yunick promptly cut out the rear fender openings. The other teams complained to NASCAR but Smokey said, "The rules say that I CAN cut out the rear fenders but it doesn't say WHEN I can cut them."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Skynet but the net is for fish

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Skynet but the net is for fish

so....Fishnet?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

God I love low stakes corruption.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

epsilon posted:

One of the more interesting things I learned was that the "big fish" option is a thing -- and that often in these tournaments it doesn't sound like a particularly large fish. Sometimes the biggest fish in a day would be like a little less than six pounds? I guess all those magazine covers made me thing these guys were landing 15 pound fish 24/7. IDK I just fish for crappie when I do fish and that's a rarity.

A six pound bass wont set any records, but you dont catch fish like that everyday just anywhere, which is why this fraud would lose his poo poo if he hooked a 2lb bass in a tournament without cheating

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Linux Pirate posted:

But yeah gently caress anyone who takes fishing super seriously. I'm all about catch and release..

Oh those fish still mostly die, try not to kid yourself.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
its fine to cheat at solo activities but if you cheat to gain an advantage over others you should be killed IMO

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It’s really remarkable to be that he could just say he caught stuff repeatedly, produce the same lovely picture, and it still took people 25 years to do something about it. I thought exaggerating about the size of the fish you caught was as old as time. Still a very interesting article and well worth the read.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, what amazed me was how much of it boiled down to honesty policy.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It may come as a shock to you, lowly peasant who will go nowhere in life, but all the most successful people are cheaters

All top athletes cheat and use PED's

Those beautiful people on instagram? Surgeries and PED's

Rich businessmen? Walked over a thousand bodies to get where they are

Innovators like Elon Musk? Paid others to invent things and then took all the credit

Your president? Just constantly lied about poo poo until he became your leader

If you play the game by the rules, you will always be beaten by the countless people who do not

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Fartbox posted:

It may come as a shock to you, lowly peasant who will go nowhere in life, but all the most successful people are cheaters

Innovators like Elon Musk? Paid others to invent things and then took all the credit

If you play the game by the rules, you will always be beaten by the countless people who do not

walking over a thousand bodies isn’t cheating

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Really great article. I loved the twist at the end that the people who had been banned recently from tournaments were caught because mike long went out and videotaped them doing exactly what he did

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I love poo poo like this. Here's another one:
Cheating in pro Scrabble.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched part of the video at the end where the guy films mike fishing. Am I understanding it correctly that all he does is wait for a fish to swim by and hook the side of it?

I’m guessing that’s not allowed in tournament fishing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
poetry slam isn't a thing anymore because the governing board collapsed thanks to a conspiracy between some high ranking officials to steal money and not investigate it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Romes128 posted:

I watched part of the video at the end where the guy films mike fishing. Am I understanding it correctly that all he does is wait for a fish to swim by and hook the side of it?

That’s part of what he does to cheat. It’s called “snagging” or “snag fishing” and catching fish using that technique is against tournament rules. They’re supposed to use a lure and get the fish to bite it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Fartbox posted:

These are all pretty different than this guy though. They're all examples of people breaking rules to better do the thing they're known for. If you take extremely illegal drugs and run faster than people who don't, you're still the fastest runner. The guy in the article does not seem to be able to fish at all. It's not just breaking the rules to succeed harder, it's breaking the rules so you can do something else and call it pro bass fishing.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Sounds like he is a genius

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

That was a really interesting read. Holy poo poo he really ramped up in the last few pages of the article.

I didn't get some of the terminology though. On page 7 it says he sighted fish 'locked on a bed'. Does that just mean a fish was sticking to one specific area?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Bass spawn in shallow water, so you can usually just see where they are. They make little beds on soft bottoms and hover over them to protect their eggs. He doesnt have to wait for them to swim by. He just throws treble hooks at their face while they sit there.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

That was a really interesting read. Holy poo poo he really ramped up in the last few pages of the article.

I didn't get some of the terminology though. On page 7 it says he sighted fish 'locked on a bed'. Does that just mean a fish was sticking to one specific area?

See my previous post.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Imagining the bass fishing cheating story play out in my head everyone has mullets and mustaches. Even the 13 year old.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
make cheating a capital crime

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There's also Igor Rausis a Latvian Grandmaster who got caught in a French bathroom with a chess program in his hand to tell him the next move at a tournament. He had been under a lot of suspicion beforehand because his rating had been plateaued for decades when he all-of-a-sudden began improving. The chess organizing body said that what he was doing was technically legal because he had been taking advantage of an obscure rule to grind out ratings by repeatedly playing much weaker opponents but his rating would have required him to have perfect play against even those much weaker opponents. Then they caught him hiding a smartphone in his underwear.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bass spawn in shallow water, so you can usually just see where they are. They make little beds on soft bottoms and hover over them to protect their eggs. He doesnt have to wait for them to swim by. He just throws treble hooks at their face while they sit there.

That was my favorite twist in the article, he doesn't actually know how to legitimately fish for bass.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

also thanks to OP and others for hyping how good this article really is or might have not read the whole thing

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i didn't watch the whole video but at one point i noticed he kept spinning donuts with his trolling motor and i was wondering why -- turns out it was just to tire out a bass that wouldn't go far from its spawning bed to the point where he could just net it.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Specifically targeting animals trying to defend their eggs/young is insanely scummy. Give this guy the chair imo.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

that's actually what catfish noodling is and everyone thinks it's cool and good

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

in itself, however, targeting fish during the spawn is legit and requires real fishing skills and tactics and can be harder than normal because big trophy female bass are less likely to strike.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that's actually what catfish noodling is and everyone thinks it's cool and good

Is that the crazy thing where they punch the catfish in the mouth and their fist comes out the gills?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Imagine if he actually killed someone in the bass deception

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Is that the crazy thing where they punch the catfish in the mouth and their fist comes out the gills?

it's where rednecks, mostly in Louisiana, take off their shirts and rub mud all over their bodies, jump in the water, and then stick their hands in logs and wait for a spawning flathead catfish to latch on to their hamfists.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

although i grant you, noodling is not without risk. a snapper turtle could take bit their hands off. they could get snake bit. saying "gently caress them gators" usually isn't enough to stop them from putting you in a death roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"there's a leech on my dick" -- catfish noodler