Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Kith posted:

It's a sport because you have to convince the fish, which is mostly focused on sitting on eggs and not doing a goddamn thing otherwise, that it should stop sitting on eggs and instead eat this delicious lure that is definitely not plastic. If they were spearing the bass they'd just be scooting their boats up to the fish and stabbing them in the head, which wouldn't take much skill (if any) and definitely wouldn't be interesting to watch. Actual spearfishing involves either stabbing fish that are busy swimming through rivers (which is actually engaging because they're moving around and generally trying to avoid being stabbed) or scuba-diving around with a speargun and shooting fish that are only slightly smaller than an adult human male (which can be pretty goddamn terrifying).

as long as dynamite is allowed i'm all set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

in the grand scheme of fish, those bass are pretty puny, too. hardly a good fish to catch and made irrelevant by the fact you can buy a plastic singing one

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

In the scheme of things, all fish are puny. Why bother with them or indeed anything when you could attempt to capture a sun or perhaps a galaxy?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i used to bass fish exclusively but i converted to a catfishman after moving to north carolina. catfish just get way bigger and they are far more plentiful. some people say they don't fight like bass, and true they don't jump out of the water and put on as much of a show, but they really do pull real hard. and those flatheads get real big. and they're ornery. real mean-spirited fish.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

and mean, how do you call this fish puny: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/07/following-uncles-lead-angler-lands-record-flathead-catfish

and you think this fish is soft? this fish is hard as poo poo. don't talk poo poo to this fish in prison or you'll get your wig split.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

and mean, how do you call this fish puny: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/07/following-uncles-lead-angler-lands-record-flathead-catfish

and you think this fish is soft? this fish is hard as poo poo. don't talk poo poo to this fish in prison or you'll get your wig split.

That fish seems like it would be really tough to fight, in Dark Souls

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

i used to bass fish exclusively but i converted to a catfishman after moving to north carolina. catfish just get way bigger and they are far more plentiful. some people say they don't fight like bass, and true they don't jump out of the water and put on as much of a show, but they really do pull real hard. and those flatheads get real big. and they're ornery. real mean-spirited fish.

Catfish also taste good while a largemouth would be of better use fertilizing a garden.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

now this is a fish i can get behind, pull that disgusting mud monster out of its den. Its got mass and masculinity.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

blue catfish get even bigger than flatheads: https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/10-biggest-blue-catfish-you-should-know/193052

but they're not as ornery

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pfft obviously hidden in the boat beforehand

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
this was an amazing read and i highly recommend it. literal multiple attempted murders over the money and fame of bass fishing.

it's crazy to think he got away with it for so long and nobody really called him out on it because they were afraid of his Legend(tm).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I didn't read the whole thread yet but this line from the article caught my eye.

quote:

I hung up, and called John and told him ‘you better watch out, Mike might come over to your house right now. He told me he’s going to come over and straighten your son out for seeing fish in his tank.'

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

violent sex idiot posted:

seems dumb that catching a fish by jabbing it with the hook doesn't count

According to my extensive knowledge of "looking this up on wikipedia" it's straight up illegal in most states.

Fully legal in California though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
I've fished for bass practically my entire life and had never heard of someone snagging them before reading that article. It hadn't occurred to me that it could even be done, as freshwater bass don't school up to any great degree and the lakewater around here is usually pretty murky. I had always associated it with salmon. If you get caught doing that in Alaska the game department will tear you a new rear end in a top hat. Which is fair, it's an incredibly lovely way to fish and this guy is a turd for doing it. And all the other horrible poo poo he did as well of course.