Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
This is literally the first game I ever played; my family got it along with an Apple IIE when I was small. I remember all of this crap; Uncle Smoke, who I did wake up too fast on more than one occasion, the auctions, getting impatient and going out without all the balloon gear (which you can absolutely do), the location and nature of the Most Amazing Thing, all of it. The game is clunky as hell, but it had a lot of imagination for the era, and you can definitely tell it came out before a lot of the standard genre conventions were nailed down. As a small child, I recall that I also developed a superstition that the robots would be more likely to accept my sale price if I held my thumb over the activity light on the keyboard.

As far as I remember, the stuff you can't use in your balloon has no purpose in the game aside from wasting your green chips, although it's conceivable that there was something I didn't figure out back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

We ended up getting a lot of the Spinnaker catalogue; they had a detective game called Snooper Troopers that involved breaking into peoples' basements as an investigative technique, a rather wonderful Alice in Wonderland adaptation, a line of chess games, an adaptation of Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber, a make-your-own-adventure-game kit, and a "game" where terrifying nightmare faces would sing nursery rhymes to you. They were kind of all over the place, but that was part of the fun.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The lines in the Mire have another purpose - the Mire Crabs won't cross them. If you happen to be near one when a crab comes after you, you can leverage them to get away. (I can't remember off the top of my head if this only works with double lines; I think it's both, though.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The first time I went out in this game as a lad, I didn't have MUSIX. You can probably imagine exactly how well that went.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Also, I haven't really set a spoiler policy here, but I do recall you saying you still remember the endgame. Please don't share until I actually post it.

Oh, jeez, I would never even consider spoiling that, don't worry.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

FairGame posted:

Alice In Wonderland looks a TON like Below The Root, another game from this era based on a story.

Both of those were made by Spinnaker; specifically, they created a label called "Windham Classics" to put out games like this. They also released Swiss Family Robinson, Wizard of Oz, and Treasure Island, although those were done in a text adventure style with single graphics to illustrate particular scenes, if I recall properly.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Even as a six-year-old, I found this line slightly cheesy. I mean, I went to all the trouble to track down this shapeshifting mystery object, and it turns out that it was me all along? At the same time, it was kind of an uplifting concept at that age. It did become a family joke for a little while, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, the implication I got from the game itself is that you, the player, have always been the Most Amazing Thing.