Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
This game fascinated the hell out of me as a little kid, playing it on the Atari 1200XL. I never quite managed the patience or focus to actually figure out any of the game's more opaque mechanics, but flying the B-liner around was pretty fun. I read that novella a bunch, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Turns out, the CGA graphics mode was designed with a completely different display device in mind-- not monitors, but composite cables and CRT TVs. Those awful magentas and cyans get distorted by composite cables and actually blur together to create 16 colors (from 4 pallets-- so 64 colors in total) that don't look like poo poo, while only requiring 2 bits per pixel! Mind you those pixels were quite fuzzy and ill-defined... terrible for text... but for graphics they weren't THAT bad for the day.

The 8-bit guy on youtube did a pretty neat demonstration on it.

I hear DOSbox can simulate the composite CGA mode, but I haven't tried it myself.

Programs had to be specifically designed with composite in mind to take advantage of that feature, and unfortunately very few were. I have no idea if this is one of the few examples.