Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

that's a concussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fun fact that's the primary ride system for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at the Universal theme parks. The contraption also mounted on a track so you move while it's flipping you around.

The OSHA is that the ride is fairly notorious for causing nausea. Probably less so than Disney's Literal Centrifuge, but it's a lot.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 27, 2022

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I'm just waiting for this to happen:

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Boxman posted:

Fun fact that's the primary ride system for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at the Universal theme parks. The contraption also mounted on a track so you move while it's flipping you around.

The OSHA is that the ride is fairly notorious for causing nausea. Probably less so than Disney's Literal Centrifuge, but it's a lot.

Oh, the one time I went on that (I think it was that one) I was absolutely fine until half-way through, when something went wrong with the ride and all the projectors/displays stopped working.

To clear everyone off, they kept the ride movement running but with everything happening in a featureless grey background. It was the most nauseated I've ever been on any ride, I came very close to puking.

They offered queue-jumping passes to the people affected, but I declined to go back on later in the day. My kid was fine, of course.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Helios Grime posted:

I'm just waiting for this to happen:

Don’t worry, we’re all set for that event as well: https://www.designboom.com/art/sun-yuan-peng-yu-cant-help-myself-robot-venice-art-biennale-05-12-2019/

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Hobnob posted:

They offered queue-jumping passes to the people affected, but I declined to go back on later in the day. My kid was fine, of course.

Those work on most rides in the park, not just the one you got stuck on. I had it happen on Spiderman. Less nauseating, on the whole, but the audio never came back so we had to provide our own sound effects for the last screen of the ride.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

The old prison wallet approach.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ablative posted:

Those work on most rides in the park, not just the one you got stuck on. I had it happen on Spiderman. Less nauseating, on the whole, but the audio never came back so we had to provide our own sound effects for the last screen of the ride.

Honestly, that sounds like more fun than just going for the ride.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ablative posted:

Got stuck on a stand up ride my first time at an amusement park. It may have been my first roller-coaster! Stood there with a plastic perch digging into my groin, not being able to alleviate the strain on my legs or my testes would ache.

Go to go on the sweet new ride in the park without waiting for hours after, so who's to say it wasn't worth it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

This too. When friends started bragging about their 60fps gaming rigs, I even had my doubts because the prevailing wisdom, maybe? was that we only need ~24fps to fool our brains into thinking we're seeing a continuous image - Nyquist theorem for our eyes, basically. But there IS a marked difference with gaming at least, between 24 and 48 etc... I just don't know how the hell that works.

Short version is that anyone who told you about the framerate of the eye is an idiot, eyes don't have frames.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ablative posted:

thwip! thwip thwip twhip!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Short version is that anyone who told you about the framerate of the eye is an idiot, eyes don't have frames.

It is limited by the rate that the neurons can fire and send information, though I don't remember what that is

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tunicate posted:

:crossarms:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seems like something only a dummy would do.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Seems like something only a dummy would do.

It looks like it would either be extremely good or extremely bad for back pain.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Tunicate posted:

yeah I got to see a live demo of a 1000 FPS projector Panasonic had made and it was amazing. Perfect clarity when showing something moving incredibly fast, like a slot machine's rollers.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It looks like it would either be extremely good or extremely bad for back pain.

First one, then the other.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Peripheral vision can detect discrete frames at 24fps. Not a scientist here, I just noticed that since I was a kid and it has been bothering me ever since they started using LED lights to mark lanes in tunnels.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The "soap opera effect" is a thing from high refresh rates and motion smoothing, apparently.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect-in-tvs-and-how-to-turn-it-off/

My neighbor's bar TV does this, and I thought that I was losing my mind. Actually said to him, "this movie looks like it's live, like a soap opera."

VV he watches sports on it, mostly. I have to go over and play with the remote & see how difficult the manufacturer made it to switch modes. I don't think that he's aware that it can be disabled.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 27, 2022

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
A lot of tvs don't by default for some dumb reason. Anyone who doesn't turn it off is goddamn monster and not to be trusted.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

amoeba posted:

Ultimately it's all about latency and reaction time; at 24fps your minimum latency between making an input and seeing that input reflected in-game is up to 1/24th of a second, vs eg. 1/144th of a second with a modern gaming display. Worse than that, the peak latency can be an entire 12th of a second on top of any network latency - eg someone fires a missile at you, and it gets processed locally just after a frame gets sent to the screen, so you wait 1/24th of a second to even see it, and 1/12th in total before you can see any reaction you might have taken to it.

The whole '24fps is enough' thing has never really been true, honestly, at least not in the concrete '24fps is all you ever need' way people commonly effectively treat it as. It was just chosen as the bare minimum frame rate that could provide an acceptable illusion of motion back when film was enormously expensive, and at that it only really works in a darkened room where persistence of vision lets your brain stitch it all together into motion. Also, there's the whole black frame time thing (which some modern TVs add with BFI), not to mention display rise and fall time (which gives a modest degree of interpolation on nearly any LCD display), and so on.

Personally I find that strict 24fps in a brightly lit room is far more visually juddery and uncomfortable to watch than motion interpolated, though I've basically grown up with gaming at ever-increasing framerates so I'm also used to smooth motion being the norm; these days I watch with motion interpolation on 95% of the time except when I'm dimming the lights at night. I know that I absolutely couldn't use mirrorless camera viewfinders up until they started providing 120fps+ because it just felt completely wrong after using SLRs for decades.

VR is the nail in the coffin for low frame rate displays - there's a reason why VR headsets are pushing towards 200+fps to prevent nausea, and that reason is basically that if your field of view isn't responding to your head movements to within single digit milliseconds you end up feeling some level of vertigo. The animation in the content may be a lower frame rate with little issue, but the viewport needs to be ultra-quick to respond.

24 fps wasn't really chosen for it's visual properties. It was chosen because because that was the lowest framerate at which you could sync audio with on screen action. A number of people including Edison were pushing for higher framerates. But film is expensive and the audio sync at 24 fps was good enough. So it stuck. The silent film era generally shot at 16 fps with playback being sped up. Which is why motion looks odd to us. But it was considered good enough then. For TV, the frame rates for NTSC and PAL come from local power. If you're working with interlaced frames, then 50hz makes it easy to do 50 fields which combine in to 25 FPS. Same for NTSCs 29.97 fps with the US being at 60hz

The only thought Hollywood and other production locations put into the psychology/physiology of frame rates is "Are people bitching about this?" and if the answer is no, the thinking stops. And I will point out that your brain will adapt to the frame rate in weird ways. People who grew up on NTSC would sometimes report headaches caused by the lower frame rate of PAL if they spent an extended amount of time watching it. With the flicker of movies preventing that apparently.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It is limited by the rate that the neurons can fire and send information, though I don't remember what that is
Besides which, vision is a biochemical soaking process before it ever triggers an electric potential. People picture the highschool optics example of an image cast to your eyeball, beamed to your brain as a whole image. Really, different intensities of light are triggering differently sensing rods and cones at differing rates in a soak and replenishment reaction giving a continuous stream of discrete measurements of different light in different spots of your eye. There's no clock signal polling rods and cones at a set rate, no monolithic sensor beaming an image in your brain. Just pure loving chaos of discrete data filtered through a big old meat signal processor to fake optics into what is probably in front of you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If someone wants too many details about TV frame rates:
https://youtu.be/3GJUM6pCpew

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I can't guarantee this isn't an edit.

https://twitter.com/neighbours_wifi/status/1486756811046891523?s=20

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

In movie theaters, when there is a long panning shot of the scenery, it always looks jittery and stuttery and just loving awful to the point where the details of the landscape can't even be made out. So as a kid I've always thought that welp, since nobody else is complaining maybe it's just me.

Maybe adding some fps to that pan will solve that issue for me

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KinkyJohn posted:

In movie theaters, when there is a long panning shot of the scenery, it always looks jittery and stuttery and just loving awful to the point where the details of the landscape can't even be made out. So as a kid I've always thought that welp, since nobody else is complaining maybe it's just me.

unkink your fuckin neck, john

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

KinkyJohn posted:

Its because movies use 24 FPS generally, even less than tv

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It always looks like stuttering CGI playback on a weak PC to me.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It was cold this morning. A driver's serpentine belt was stiff enough that it snapped and took the tensioner off with it. He was stuck with no heat in below zero temperatures at 2am. Had to call 911 for rescue.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It was cold this morning. A driver's serpentine belt was stiff enough that it snapped and took the tensioner off with it. He was stuck with no heat in below zero temperatures at 2am. Had to call 911 for rescue.

Broke My Wheel

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

https://twitter.com/RedlineSSB/status/1459238159808663558?t=UV1wHAsYtDzuJbDVIfbkSQ&s=19

This I can guarantee is real.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

that's a concussion

It's sped up. Robot arm rides like that move quickly, but not that quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3uN4NviHps&t=25s

I mean I suppose that video could be just some guy with a Kuka in the back of his truck and you slip him a twenty and he sets all the motion overrides to 200%. But I think they just sped up the video

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Thomamelas posted:

People who grew up on NTSC would sometimes report headaches caused by the lower frame rate of PAL if they spent an extended amount of time watching it. With the flicker of movies preventing that apparently.

I used to have a lot of fun pointing out "I bet you got this ripped episode of Battlestar from someone in the UK" because the voices were noticeably higher in pitch, and somewhere in the rip/conversion/playback chain someone or something got lazy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KinkyJohn posted:

Every director of photography knows that pans like that are poo poo and tries to avoid them.

Some director directors don’t care.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/buckfastbadlad/status/1486628089337683974

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Platystemon posted:

Every director of photography knows that pans like that are poo poo and tries to avoid them.

Some director directors don’t care.
It’s straightforward to work out how much you can pan in 24fps, it’s (short version) a function of brightness, the darker the scene the faster you can pan without annoying judder. Movie projection is darker than a TV, so that pan probably looked great in a theater.

Now TVs are getting brighter and brighter, so judder getting more and more annoying. Turn on motion smoothing if this bugs you. Moving towards a higher frame rate for presentation is inevitable as we’re already grading around it for higher luminance cinema.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.q13fox.com/news/semi-crashes-into-scaffolding-of-building-under-construction-in-downtown-seattle
Sill don't know how.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Speaker posted:

I used to have a lot of fun pointing out "I bet you got this ripped episode of Battlestar from someone in the UK" because the voices were noticeably higher in pitch, and somewhere in the rip/conversion/playback chain someone or something got lazy.

Is THAT what caused that -- a 25 fps source being treated as 30? drat, mid-2000s mystery finally solved. Of the episodes I'd torrent, here and there would be one where Lee in particular sounded like he'd been huffing helium.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/NoContextHumans/status/1486671076847284226?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

*Dude falls*

Me: Ooohhhh, gently caress, man. You poor bastard, that can't feel good. :ohdear:

*I see that he ripped his pants*

Me: :lol: You dumb gently caress. You buffoon. LMAO.