Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Phanatic posted:

One bit that's gonna be interesting is that I-695 is the Hazmat route for I-95.

The official word is to go all the way around the other direction on I-695 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The distance is actually shorter (by about a mile) going around the west side, but the traffic is generally much worse. There's a reason most of the east side is 2 lanes and they're currently adding a 5th in parts of the west.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

So, what you are saying is that now would be a great time for Ellicott City to finally be washed off the map with another 500-year flood?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm still chortling over "my uncle done lost his fanger on this one"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Xerol posted:

The distance is actually shorter (by about a mile) going around the west side, but the traffic is generally much worse. There's a reason most of the east side is 2 lanes and they're currently adding a 5th in parts of the west.

At least they can rebuild the bridge with more lanes now. That'll fix the traffic problem.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I've cooled on this theory a little bit. The person who runs the Casual Navigation YouTube channel pointed out that Dali turned to starboard around the time it was passing the entrance to the Curtis Bay channel, and the initial turn to starboard might have been bank effect. Once they regained power, I imagine the thick black smoke was the engines going crash astern.

We'll know more once the NTSB finishes up with the VDR.

One of the bulk carriers my last company worked with struck a jetty in Canada one day. I did some math on the forces involved, and to accelerate a ship of that size from 8 knots to 0ish in that short a period of time was equivalent to 10 or so 747s at full thrust.

Power recovery on a ship isn’t fast, you’ve got about a minute until the emergency generator runs up and connects and that barely covers some critical systems. Its entirely possible the gouts of black smoke spilling from the funnel are the result of the engine misfiring like gently caress after blackout because it’s not normal to look like you burn coal unless your combustion is seriously hosed.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

They actually have a second set of cams that slide into place to run the engine in reverse. If I recall correctly, the crash astern procedure involves slowing the engine way down, sliding the reversing cams into place, and using pressurized air or steam to get the engine spinning backwards until it can start dieseling on its own.

Edit: here it is, copied from a chemical tanker I did some work on once.

Some ships do have variable pitch propellers, but I think they're less common as dwt gets larger.

Not incorrect but slightly old fashioned, most modern ships like this will have an electronically controlled main engine rather than timing and injection being controlled by a cam shaft. I’ve been in the engine room on large containers for near enough 14 years and I’ve literally never sailed on a non electronically controlled main engine. To reverse the computer just changes to firing order rather than shifting cams.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mr Teatime posted:

Not incorrect but slightly old fashioned, most modern ships like this will have an electronically controlled main engine rather than timing and injection being controlled by a cam shaft. I’ve been in the engine room on large containers for near enough 14 years and I’ve literally never sailed on a non electronically controlled main engine. To reverse the computer just changes to firing order rather than shifting cams.

Okay, yeah, that makes sense. My experience is mostly on 10-15 year old bulkers and chemical tankers. The only container ships I worked on were LNG-powered.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Mr Teatime posted:

Power recovery on a ship isn’t fast, you’ve got about a minute until the emergency generator runs up and connects and that barely covers some critical systems. Its entirely possible the gouts of black smoke spilling from the funnel are the result of the engine misfiring like gently caress after blackout because it’s not normal to look like you burn coal unless your combustion is seriously hosed.

Old school diesels smoke like crazy at full throttle from low RPM, because the turbo hasn't caught up yet with the air demand, and old diesels just smoke at the maximum power output.

Today you don't notice it with diesel road vehicles anymore because of modern diesel injection systems and filters, but if you floor an old mechanical diesel passenger car at 1500rpm, you can bet there'll be at least *some* smoke. How much depends on how the specific injector setting.

Modern diesel can smoke too, but usually in a power range not accessible in normal use.

So to me, it does seem like it's smoke from the actual 'oh gently caress' engine setting.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

LimaBiker posted:

Old school diesels smoke like crazy at full throttle from low RPM, because the turbo hasn't caught up yet with the air demand, and old diesels just smoke at the maximum power output.

Today you don't notice it with diesel road vehicles anymore because of modern diesel injection systems and filters, but if you floor an old mechanical diesel passenger car at 1500rpm, you can bet there'll be at least *some* smoke. How much depends on how the specific injector setting.

Modern diesel can smoke too, but usually in a power range not accessible in normal use.

So to me, it does seem like it's smoke from the actual 'oh gently caress' engine setting.

I wonder what the turbo lag is like on a turbo sized for an engine with six 111,000 cubic inch cylinders.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mr Teatime posted:

Or you're a Russian warship.

e: wait, do they actually burn coal? poo poo, so much for my joke then.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Howard Beale posted:

Why don't they just raise the bridge?

well lowering it hasnt worked

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Howard Beale posted:

Why don't they just raise the bridge?

Replace the piers with a lot of Helium balloons and float the bridge over the ships like the house in "Up". Geez, this engineering stuff isn't that hard.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Big rear end orange hot wheels ramp is the answer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mine fields. Everyone will be super careful and if a ship gets out of control, it will sink before hitting the bridge.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Robert Facepalmer posted:

So, what you are saying is that now would be a great time for Ellicott City to finally be washed off the map with another 500-year flood?

I want you to know that I'm local enough to have :lol:ed at this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or you're a Russian warship.

e: wait, do they actually burn coal? poo poo, so much for my joke then.

close enough; it's usually the dirtiest and shittiest leftovers from oil refinery as i understand it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Minera posted:

close enough; it's usually the dirtiest and shittiest leftovers from oil refinery as i understand it

That's Bunker Oil in general, Russia's ship's engines are just that poorly maintained.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Noone's ever done gymnastics? She's like... 7-8 feet in the air, just catch her. A couple years ago on NJ-17 I had to convince a trucker to slide down to me & another passerby after he lost control and careened into the concrete median, flipping his truck over (no trailer attached, thankfully). The truck was sideways and he climbed UP the only possible door and was on top of the truck eyeing the engine block as a way to climb down, which seemed like the worst possible option to me. He sorted leaned forward off the lip of the truck and grabbed our hands, and then I caught his butt on my shoulder robbing most of his momentum before he dropped to his feet. I think about it every time my wife is like "ooh can we make an IKEA run this weekend"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Omnikin posted:

Noone's ever done gymnastics? She's like... 7-8 feet in the air, just catch her. A couple years ago on NJ-17 I had to convince a trucker to slide down to me & another passerby after he lost control and careened into the concrete median, flipping his truck over (no trailer attached, thankfully). The truck was sideways and he climbed UP the only possible door and was on top of the truck eyeing the engine block as a way to climb down, which seemed like the worst possible option to me. He sorted leaned forward off the lip of the truck and grabbed our hands, and then I caught his butt on my shoulder robbing most of his momentum before he dropped to his feet. I think about it every time my wife is like "ooh can we make an IKEA run this weekend"

Yeah, all those guys just wanted an excuse to maybe have a chance to touch her rear end, or have a tit hit them in the shoulder or something.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Minera posted:

North America and the EU both have emissions control areas surrounding them; ships operating in those areas usually burn much cleaner fuel. As of 2020, though, even the bunker fuel used in the middle of the ocean has to be low sulfur (or ships need to be fitted with exhaust gas scrubbers to reduce the sulfur content of their exhaust).

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

https://twitter.com/notbenfish/status/1772658195334418575

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh no. stop.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

hawowanlawow posted:

oh no. stop.

Nah gently caress it, let them go if they want to. Send their families the bill for recovery.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
look, google says there's a bridge there, so I'm gonna drive over it, dammit

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 27, 2024

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

LimaBiker posted:

It's funny seeing this from the perspective of vehicles. On commercial/industrial burners that are UL listed, any smoke above a 0 on a 0-10 scale is a failure, and is also wasted fuel.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Without knowing specifically where that clip is showing, is it possible that there are any side roads that that's the only access to?

I've had road crews do that. There was an accident near my house and they blocked off the road for like a mile in either direction, but along the blocked off section are no-outlet neighborhoods that can only be accessed from the closed portion. It's a loving blizzard and I have a baby in the truck with me, we need to get home for numerous reasons, and the guy on the road is all pissy because I drove past their flare. And the accident was past my road anyhow, there was literally no reason.

I'm not saying that's at all remotely likely what's happening up there, it's pretty drat unlikely, but there are potentially reasons to blithely ignore barricades in some cases.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Looks to be on Fort Armistead Rd leading up to the last on-ramp to the beltway before the bridge.

There is literally nothing past the onramp that would be open at night.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, figures they were probably just being stubborn idiots, that’s generally the most likely answer. Ah well.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Zero One posted:

That’s the Detroit River.

He’ll be lucky not to pick up some terrible flesh eating bacterial infection.

at least it wasn't the charles. he would have come up looking like the bad guy that got melted in robocop.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aishlinn posted:

at least it wasn't the charles. he would have come up looking like the bad guy that got melted in robocop.

Never forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tKaSe37dIk

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

i did some quick loving around calculations at work but for energy absorbed, which based on my loving around research is the main way these bridge dolphins/protections systems are rated.

the sunshine skyway bridge in florida has a protection system rated for a hit from a 87,000 ton ship at 10 knots.

the ship that hit the key bridge in baltimore was reportedly 117,000 tons and traveling at 8 knots.

calculating the kinetic energy of each, the ship in baltimore had 86% of the kinetic energy as the skyway bridge protection system was rated for.

so it does seem like a protection system can withstand a direct hit from a ship this size. but key point, it has to be direct hit, not oblique like in baltimore, which looks like the ship dodged any protection system in place. this seems to be the place on the forums that this accident is getting the most technical discussion, so if any nerds know more about these systems than i do (basically just what i could learn today) then please correct me.

It does feel nice to have relatively grounded discussions about the incident and what preventative measures would look like and be capable of. While dolphins or protective islands would (presumably) be good, I also wonder about the soil typology in a large, presumably very alluvial harbor - those pilings would have to be deep and plentiful to be able to handle anything close to the lateral loading that a container ship would be capable of. I'm not familiar with the soils around Sunshine Skyway, either, or dolphin construction, or, or, or, or

I wonder, ultimately, how much of an impact any truss bridge like this could take. No question that the supports were the most overwhelmingly critical parts, but I have to presume that designing for something to impact those piles with even 1/10th the tonnage is asking for the Hoover Dam.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

and I have no question that the replacement bridge is going to be an incredible and shockingly resilient megastructure. How many other critical links over critical waterways are begging for maintenance, though, that are going to be largely overlooked?

dammit a terrible and nigh-unpredictable accident has got me doompilled. It'll be everything I can do not to dig through decrepit infrastructure articles for the rest of the day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The bridge didn’t fall due to maintenance or design. There isn’t really much you can do to withstand that kind of impact. Most bridges in the world would collapse if hit by a fully loaded modern cargo ship with a head of steam.

The issue was the ship having the worst engineering casualty it could have near a bridge. If you want to prevent this issue, you focus on the ship itself and what went wrong.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I don't get why they didn't just raise the bridge or lower the water ahead of time.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Would it be possible for the rebuilt bridge to have fewer towers to reduce the likelihood of this happening? I'm not a civ-e, so it's out of my expertise.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

One of the things I've been trying to research (unsuccessfully so far) is why they went with one of the longest truss spans in the world over any other option. I suspect the main factors were some combination of "cost", "cable stayed bridges weren't the go-to design yet", and "there's a steelworks 1/4 mile away". The channel itself is also less wide than the central span:

So it was as wide as it needed to be. Modern cable-stayed designs can have spans longer than not only the longest span of the truss (1/4 mile) but the entire width of the waterway (1 mile)*, and you can go even longer with suspension. Any serious study on the replacement bridge design is going to look at the balance between the costs of protective structures and a longer unsupported span. If they can build a replacement 1/4 mile span + sufficient dolphins for less than it costs to build the 1 mile span and no dolphins, they probably will.

Another factor is the height of the bridge itself. Not only to let tall ships pass through, but vehicles need to go up and down to get over the bridge, and you can't have that slope be too steep, and there's only so much land either side of the bridge where you can raise the highway.

*Assuming you count the causeway portion of the bridge complex as land

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Explosionface posted:

Would it be possible for the rebuilt bridge to have fewer towers to reduce the likelihood of this happening? I'm not a civ-e, so it's out of my expertise.

The replacement bridge will be reachable only by helicopter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Desert Bus posted:

I don't get why they didn't just raise the bridge or lower the water ahead of time.
Lower the ship imo. You never hear about submarines hitting bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Big Mac posted:

While dolphins or protective islands would (presumably) be good, I also wonder about the soil typology in a large, presumably very alluvial harbor - those pilings would have to be deep and plentiful to be able to handle anything close to the lateral loading that a container ship would be capable of.

Use the silt to your advantage. Put the piers supporting the bridge far enough outside of the dredged shipping channel so that any ship big enough to hurt the bridge runs aground first.