Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Afrikaaners have a saying, "'N boer maak 'n plan." A farmer makes a plan [to overcome a problem]. Not all plans are good ones, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

I once came up with the idea that for steep hills, there could be a toothed section of track for a gear connected to the train's wheels to help it up/down.

They do this for local trains in the alps

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
That's what you get when you grind a train gear in the alps

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Also see the cog railway near Manitou Springs, CO

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

yes!

i can't wait to see this new technology start to take hold

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
As it is said: Plans are often useless, but planning is essential.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

minato posted:

Holy poo poo. That's wonderful.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Holy poo poo I ended up watching the entire "OSHA, the movie" thing.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

minato posted:

:perfect:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1g9UefB

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

There needs to be a forklifting anime where the scrappy kid on the pallet jack somehow shows up all the "real forklift drivers" with his can do attitude and infinite finesse.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Did that all the time in the Toys R Us back stockroom in my youth. We’d race em down the aisles after hours.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

minato posted:

Nice.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

ahhh, hot summer days spent pump truck racing around warehouses... good times

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lou Takki posted:

Also see the cog railway near Manitou Springs, CO

Or don't, because it's constantly broke down for some reason ot another.

Do climb the Manitou Incline though, first day here just go climb that hill. And take the trail back down, Incline is one way only for a good reason.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mokinokaro posted:

My work has a policy of testing if there's an accident and drugs are suspected but thankfully it's illegal to do random tests here.

As far as marijuana goes, there are apparently tests now that can distinguish from "had a joint three days ago" and "has a joint three hours ago."

It's about the concentration limits of the metabolites. My workplace does 50 (I think it's nanograms/millilitre of blood) and that will detect if you've smoked up that morning, but if you're at least 12 hours removed from smoking you should be fine on the test, and will definitely be fine to do your job. Some places, like I've heard of athletic blood tests for combat sports will detect down to 15ng/mL, which because of the long tail of THC metabolites in people's system, will pop someone if they've smoked in the last 4-5 days, which is bullshit.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

An ex of mine interviewed with geico and after the interview they demanded a hair follicle test and at that point it's like, why are you even interviewing people?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The last drug test I took was around 2002 and it was for a life insurance policy, one of the first adulty things I did. I passed it one day after spending a weekend smoking weed and taking marinol pills while camping with my friends from college. I have no idea how that worked out.

It's interesting that all of my employers since the 90s (when I worked for the Department of Justice, a note-able hardass about this poo poo) have not cared at all given that building maintenance is theoretically somewhat dangerous statistically. I guess it would come up if I grab some hot 480 phases or something... or if my life insurance agent reads this...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Had my one and only hair follicle test for a bullshit job at a cigarette store in 2000. Since I've had 5-6 piss tests for jobs, which is loving lame cause you could get away with hard drugs in a week, but weed is 2 months min. Never had a drug blood test.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Memento posted:

It's about the concentration limits of the metabolites. My workplace does 50 (I think it's nanograms/millilitre of blood) and that will detect if you've smoked up that morning, but if you're at least 12 hours removed from smoking you should be fine on the test, and will definitely be fine to do your job. Some places, like I've heard of athletic blood tests for combat sports will detect down to 15ng/mL, which because of the long tail of THC metabolites in people's system, will pop someone if they've smoked in the last 4-5 days, which is bullshit.

Couple more zeros there, it's nanograms per microliter. (E: I just realized you were talking about blood, not urine, my bad)

And if you smoke heavily, getting below 50ng/microliter is a stretch without purposeful dilution. 3L of water, 1500mg of creatine, and 100mg of vitamin B complex 2-3 hours before a whiz quiz and several pre-test pisses was my routine to beat piss tests. Never give your first piss of the day (army taught me this, they love getting you early), never give beginning of the stream, and if no one is watching, just use a bottle of synthetic piss rubber-banded to a hand warmer packet Ace bandage wrapped to your thigh.

My last year in the army was practiced professionalism for passing piss tests. That was over a decade ago, but I'm sure the 50ng threshold is still a thing, secondary confirmation at 15ng and zero. Also helps to know a secret squirrel that works at brigade or battalion level.

If the army didn't give a gently caress about weed, I would have never left, and probably worked out more.

I took one hair follicle test. It was 1999 and for Sports Authority. To sell shoes for $7/hr. Lame.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 6, 2020

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Anyone actually curious about Marijuana concentration in laboratory testing should look up the "NHTSA Drug Fact Sheets". They're two or three pages for each drug, 80 total pages last time I checked. I'm phone posting so won't search it out and block quote a giant pdf but take my word for it, it's worth googling!

The fact sheets are written for drug DUI policing, so they're written for cop intelligence (zing) while being useful for lawyers, jurors, and judges. They are sciency but accessible! The best kind of science!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
NHTSA Drug Facts Sheet PDF

Top of page 8

quote:

`. Joints and blunts are often laced with adulterants including PCP or crack cocaine.
Joints can also be dipped in liquid PCP or in codeine cough syrup. Marijuana is also
orally ingested.

Wait, what?

Keep in mind this was around 2004.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

It's interesting that all of my employers since the 90s (when I worked for the Department of Justice, a note-able hardass about this poo poo) have not cared at all given that building maintenance is theoretically somewhat dangerous statistically. I guess it would come up if I grab some hot 480 phases or something... or if my life insurance agent reads this...

Its this. Companies only pay for the expensive tests if you gently caress up and have an accident, so they can shirk covering medical.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

MRC48B posted:

Its this. Companies only pay for the expensive tests if you gently caress up and have an accident, so they can shirk covering medical.

that's an interesting take on not randomly drug testing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Imagine living in a country where random nor arbitrary drug testing aren't a thing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I remember going through a plethora of drug tests when I had to work a position in Korea.

Because disgusting foreigners are all addicts who have the AIDS, you see.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Serephina posted:

Imagine living in a country where random nor arbitrary drug testing aren't a thing.

I gotta tell you I'm 100% ok with the guys driving the haul trucks and running the underground drill rigs being drug tested. I've heard stories of longwall cutter operators in Pennsylvania coal mines showing up to work clearly hosed up on drugs and that sounds like a loving nightmare.

And now for something, completely different.

https://twitter.com/siberian_times/status/1268508727675547648

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkJhgOu1_zE

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
The sawmill I worked for did follicle test pre employment. I keep my hair cut short so they took a big loving chunk out of the back of my head. Couldn't have been more than 3 weeks of hair growth. What a joke.

I got nailed on a random right before the whole covid thing. loving awful timing, was sober and decided to risk it after 2 years of never being tested and got loving nailed that Monday Sigh. Meanwhile the head millwright will drive in alcoholic employees who drink to the early AM and can barely keep their eyes open. Real safe.

Been enjoying my 6 month vacation, my old manager has been trying to get me back so it looks like I'll be doing it again, I have been shaving my scalp lately curious how they are going to manage that. Armpits? Leg hair?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ak Gara posted:

Aren't mudslides meant to go downwards, not loving sideways?

Aaah, I see. Next up for 2020 is just, no more Physics.

I once came up with the idea that for steep hills, there could be a toothed section of track for a gear connected to the train's wheels to help it up/down.

Pilatus cog-rail: it's a trip.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Is she dead? No shoes so it's hard to determine.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

NHTSA Drug Facts Sheet PDF

Top of page 8

Wait, what?

Keep in mind this was around 2004.

Wanna know where I can find these joints and blunts

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ignore the pig

https://twitter.com/morganastra/status/1268276866080620545?s=19

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
If you ever visit Japan near Osaka, visiting Koyasan is recommended. You get to it by rail in this cable car:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jenny Agutter posted:

An ex of mine interviewed with geico and after the interview they demanded a hair follicle test and at that point it's like, why are you even interviewing people?

Honestly if I was an employer I would consider it.

If you pass the hair follicle test you don't get the job because you're too boring and I don't want to work with you.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Beef posted:

If you ever visit Japan near Osaka, visiting Koyasan is recommended. You get to it by rail in this cable car:

Is that a funicular? :allears:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/62qBh6e.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/A9V1egg.mp4

Shouldn’t they be wearing some better shoes or something? Or eye protection?

https://imgur.com/gallery/tX0UGBl

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 6, 2020

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Is that a funicular? :allears:

Sort of? If I remember correctly: It's not self powered and there is a counterweight car coming down when one goes up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The difference between a funicular and an inclined elevator is that an inclined elevator has a dedicated counterweight, while a funicular has two passenger cars that balance each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Beef posted:

Wow, even the trains do the Naruto run in Japan.