Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

You wouldnít eat empty calories.

So donít drink empty hydration.

Drink electrolytes.

Burma‐Shave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

I swear there are warnings all over the inside of the bonnet and radiator cap saying DO NOT OPEN THIS WHEN HOT.

If people read warning labels, this and the Schadenfreude thread would be a hell of a lot thinner.

Kitfox88
Aug 20, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

50/50 glycol and water is 265 under a 15 psi cap. Pure water with water wetter added is 250.

Obviously sea level, ymmv, etc

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i lived with a roomate who added water wetter to his water so he could drink "more water per water."

What the Christ is water wetter?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Reduces the surface tension of water so it wets things more, rather than beading.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Kitfox88 posted:

I think it's pretty drat well self-explanatory

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

YOU'RE WELCOME

Kitfox88 posted:

It's for track cars to help raise the boiling point and increase cooling since they can't run glycol. Whether it does anything or not is up for debate.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Easter was an Inside Job

Kitfox88
Aug 20, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Reduces the surface tension of water so it wets things more, rather than beading.

Oh, neat o

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

At least that guy got an accelerated course in physics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Why does that Subaru break down every time you look at it, Travis", Punchy said. I nearly fell out of the jump seat in my Brat, aghast. "That thing a princess?" I coughed and gulped. "Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy", I said

ever since we invented all this newfangled technology people just don't have a healthy fear of steam any more.

live steam from a radiator like that will take the flesh right off your bones and boiler explosions will demolish a building just as effectively as dropping a bomb on it.

there are old sayings about looking for a steam leak in a plant by carefully inching forwards swinging a broomstick up and down; when the broomstick gets cut in half, you've found it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

there are old sayings about looking for a steam leak in a plant by carefully inching forwards swinging a broomstick up and down; when the broomstick gets cut in half, you've found it
That's hydraulics. Steam is real obvious when it leaks.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Engine plant steam is around 400 degrees, from which you can calculate the pressure, and definitely stays invisibly hot long enough.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Back in my day we learnt about steam from the inevitable factory level where you had to time your jumps between the leaky pipes or the steam would kill you

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

evil_bunnY posted:

The fluffy white clouds are not steam. That's condensed water vapor that used to be steam but isn't any more.

When you have a steam leak, you'll know you have a leak somewhere, but it's not necessarily going to be obvious where exactly that leak is.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

I have to audit OHSA inspection agencies for my work occasionally, which can entail going with them when they do a checkup of a tower crane. I have to climb 2 or 3 a year, and I hate it. for average length cranes (let's say 30 meter) in my country there is no mandatory safety features when going up, just a ladder in different sections, usually with a steel cage around it. The hardest part is when you get to the top: transitioning from the tower bit with ladders through the rotating hole is usually rather difficult. None of the climbing is done with any sort of equipment to protect you from falling down, it's too much hassle, so you only attach yourself when you're at the top. Climbing back down is scarier than going up.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Soiled Meat

That had to have been hissing enough to indicate danger. I had a beat up old car in my 20s and even not knowing anything about cars I knew that if I was removing the radiator cap and the pressure didn't let off immediately to just wait until it was done sounding angry. Some things only require a caveman brain

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

LOL. Nope.
https://youtu.be/8InpXBbjtPU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

This is why you are supposed to use exercise equipment in the way it was intended.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qsha13ogi01w5pr9j.mp4

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

holy hell. clearly I've never worked with high enough steam pressure (I fully intend to keep it that way).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

You wouldnít eat empty calories.

So donít drink empty hydration.

Drink electrolytes.

Burma‐Shave

It's what plants crave!

I have successfully brought temps down on an overheating 1960s Chrysler product* by spraying the radiator with water while it was running. I hated shutting the engine down during a bad overheat because the temp will spike even higher once the coolant stops circulating - but there is usually no other choice. An oil change will follow.

*is there any other kind

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Vlaphor posted:

use exercise equipment in the way it was intended.

The antithesis of crossfit

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I once opened a microwave mac and cheese and a tiny puff of steam shot out. Ended up near taking the skin off my whole thumb after a couple of days, do not gently caress with superheated steam.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PainterofCrap posted:

I have successfully brought temps down on an overheating 1960s Chrysler product* by spraying the radiator with water while it was running. I hated shutting the engine down during a bad overheat because the temp will spike even higher once the coolant stops circulating - but there is usually no other choice. An oil change will follow.

*is there any other kind

the car I'm thinking of from my childhood was either a 1970 Plymouth Fury III or a 1963ish Plymouth... something boring, so at least that part of my memory adds up.

what I remember is the service station guy not waiting until the car had cooked down all the way and very gingerly taking off the radiator cap with a rag. the coolant came out more like a hose stream than a puff of steam, so when he ran like hell he managed not to get burned.

no idea why this would've happened, and I can't imagine that my father remembers this random Saturday decades ago to verify or correct

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

AceClown posted:

I once opened a microwave mac and cheese and a tiny puff of steam shot out. Ended up near taking the skin off my whole thumb after a couple of days, do not gently caress with superheated steam.

Much like the Wu Tang clan, steam explosions ain't nothing to gently caress wit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011
Chelsea Manning is a goddamned HERO

Empty Sandwich posted:

the car I'm thinking of from my childhood was either a 1970 Plymouth Fury III or a 1963ish Plymouth... something boring, so at least that part of my memory adds up.

what I remember is the service station guy not waiting until the car had cooked down all the way and very gingerly taking off the radiator cap with a rag. the coolant came out more like a hose stream than a puff of steam, so when he ran like hell he managed not to get burned.

no idea why this would've happened, and I can't imagine that my father remembers this random Saturday decades ago to verify or correct

Even under normal operation conditions, the coolant will still be under pressure. As it's technically a sealed system, once the coolant heats, it's producing pressure. Normal operating temperatures are like, 190-220°F. While it's still very hot, it's not vaporized into a steam, so you get a liquid expulsion instead of steam when you open the system. Or a radiator geyser, I guess.

E: this is where the glycol coolants conversation come in, because it has a higher boiling point, it will remain liquid at temps higher than water can. Then the mechanical pressure of the cap adds to it, allowing it to remain liquid until around 260°F as long as it is under pressure. Remove the mechanical pressure of the cap at that temperature, and you have a rapid change of state from liquid to gas form.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 5, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

AceClown posted:

An employee opening microwave popcorn at a huge office I worked at in the early 90s received a similar injury.

They consequently banned microwave popcorn from the break room vending machine.

These weren't the brightest bulbs on the tree, either: there were at least a hundred unattended cubicles, each with their own computer that could log into the system, with no passwords or any security whatsoever. So you could sit down at any randomly, and, say, create fake auto claims as well as a fake tow company and send that fake tow company real checks for towing fake cars after fake accidents.

That place was a real-life Dilbert/Office Space.

Additional content:

https://i.imgur.com/BpXIa4S.mp4

"Beach erosion? Under my parking spot?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 5, 2021

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

having some very OSHA thread thoughts as I now have a suspended load in my backyard

Never seen how these things work but the concept of using the outriggers to level the drill out is really neat

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Even under normal operation conditions, the coolant will still be under pressure. As it's technically a sealed system, once the coolant heats, it's producing pressure. Normal operating temperatures are like, 190-220°F. While it's still very hot, it's not vaporized into a steam, so you get a liquid expulsion instead of steam when you open the system. Or a radiator geyser, I guess.

E: this is where the glycol coolants conversation come in, because it has a higher boiling point, it will remain liquid at temps higher than water can. Then the mechanical pressure of the cap adds to it, allowing it to remain liquid until around 260°F as long as it is under pressure. Remove the mechanical pressure of the cap at that temperature, and you have a rapid change of state from liquid to gas form.

gracias. now at least I know it's possible that I saw it, but I'm still not sure why he chose this course of action....

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Full service gas stations used to top up your oil and coolant during the fill. They aren't really gonna wait around for your engine to cool so they just deal with any back pressure in the very safe use a rag and runaway method you recall. If your engines not super hot it'd usually just spit a bit at you and you could do your thing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

That's a lesson someone learns once. Chances are you saw his first experience with opening a hot radiator. Smart service jockeys just put more fluid in the overflow and call it a day. Customer sees poking and prodding, hears a little trickle from topping up the overflow, and they're happy.

I wouldn't want a gas station jockey loving around under my hood. They're there because they're just starting in the auto field, or flunked their way out of wrenching. It's the walmart greeter of the car world.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I wouldn't want a gas station jockey loving around under my hood. They're there because they're just starting in the auto field, or flunked their way out of wrenching. It's the walmart greeter of the car world.

I mean sure, 100% true NOW but not really the same way back in the day

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

having some very OSHA thread thoughts as I now have a suspended load in my backyard

Never seen how these things work but the concept of using the outriggers to level the drill out is really neat

Drills can be pretty top heavy with the tower up. It always weirds me out though, when I see a drill with the jacks at the front of the deck and not one in front of the hood.

Whats the forecast around your area? Watch how fast they tear down if a thunder storm crops up.

What are you getting done? New water well or Geothermal?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Back in the day cars were a bit more orky, so anyone could fix one with the power of believing in it and/or painting it red.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I haven't seen a full service station since I was a kid. Yeah, there's handicap assistance, but full service isn't really a thing anymore. I have not lived in Oregon or New Jersey, so I don't know what it's like where attendants are required.

Even then, the places I remember from when I was a kid that did have a mechanic do the full service, were usually 2-4 pump stations, 1-2 work bays, on the edge of towns with less than a thousand people where a new stop sign is an event. Usually owned by the mechanic, too.

Also go watch The Jerk if you want proof in parody. HE HATES THESE CANS!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Drills can be pretty top heavy with the tower up. It always weirds me out though, when I see a drill with the jacks at the front of the deck and not one in front of the hood.

Whats the forecast around your area? Watch how fast they tear down if a thunder storm crops up.

What are you getting done? New water well or Geothermal?

New well.

Forecast is nice tomorrow and Friday! They just moved the equipment in today. A trailer with casement out back there, another... crane truck thatís pulling in right now

Honestly maneuvering past our house on whatís like a nine foot driveway is the most impressive part at present lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

I started driving at the tail end of my state's time of making sure you drove up to the SELF pump instead of the FULL pump so you didn't have to pay an extra to have someone else do something so drat simple

unless maybe it's pouring down rain

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I haven't seen a full service station since I was a kid. Yeah, there's handicap assistance, but full service isn't really a thing anymore. I have not lived in Oregon or New Jersey, so I don't know what it's like where attendants are required.

Even then, the places I remember from when I was a kid that did have a mechanic do the full service, were usually 2-4 pump stations, 1-2 work bays, on the edge of towns with less than a thousand people where a new stop sign is an event. Usually owned by the mechanic, too.

Noones screwing with your coolant and oil even in NJ or Oregon. For largely the reasons you've mentioned but probably also because modern cars don't tend to leak and consume those fluids as much.

You might convince them to wash your windshield if they're not having a bad day.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I swear there are warnings all over the inside of the bonnet and radiator cap saying DO NOT OPEN THIS WHEN HOT.

What is a warn-ning? Is that how it's pronounced? What is that and what does it do for the engine?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

evil_bunnY posted:

Finding the high pressure dry steam leak is a terrifying combination of dowsing and marco polo. You KNOW it's there because it's hissing like a bastard, but the steam stays invisible, so you get your broom and start waggling it at the pipes and fittings until you find the spot where the broom bristles suddenly fall off/start melting. 1200 PSI dry steam acts like the bastard lovechild of a water jet cutter and a oxy-acetylene torch, high enough pressure to just cut through you entirely, with the added insult and injury of massive steam condensation burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance.

Smellrose

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Nh5ZoqD.mp4