Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Otteration posted:

Whatever that stuff is, yeah, check your drain plumbing after use.

The MSDS just said R 134, so it's purely acting through pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

jetz0r posted:

Yeah, if the load isn't secured, then this happens:

You think that's bad; this is what happens when the load is secured:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah the source said they didn't lock the casters and the carts smashed their way out the back door.

I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a caster wheel lock that worked well enough that I’d trust it to stop what it was attached to.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Caster locks are to keep poo poo from rolling away on level ground. That should have been strapped.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't understand what went wrong. I said "that isn't going anywhere" like I was supposed to.

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't understand what went wrong. I said "that isn't going anywhere" like I was supposed to.

Did you remember to give it a good one-armed wiggle, too?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

The MSDS just said R 134, so it's purely acting through pressure.

Yeah, looks like it works well; just a lot of pressure. But typical bathroom sink drain plumbing is crap. If he had blocked the overflow drain, his trap might have ended up on the floor of his vanity.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/reel/COHf2pEBS4u/?igshid=c13vt3bo1a9v

Sorry for IG post but it’s relevant

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just another day at the marina, no big deal.

https://i.imgur.com/UdwzUDZ.mp4

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

armchairyoda posted:

Lol, let me tell you some stories of farmers just “digging for new fence posts”...

When I worked as a field tech, mf’s with god drat gardening level poo poo would cut into the plant that the previous Plant Manager buried around town... this was our constant worry: https://youtu.be/ZkEXfa2AMY0

Couple of years back I got a call on our Highways customer line and when I picked it up could barely hear the caller over an awful howling noise. I could tell she was incandescent about a gas line but the details were getting lost so eventually I managed to work out where she was calling from and sent a supervisor out to find out what the gently caress.

When he got out there she was an elderly farmer out in the sticks without a main gasline so she had a tank on site with a connecting port out on the borderline of our verge and her property. One of our dipshit contractors who do the rural verges had mowed right over the capped connection with one of these and the howling sound was gas erupting from the site under pressure:

The gas company ended recapping it quickly and our contractor had to pay out, but I had a sketchy hour or so hoping one of our teams hadn't just turned half a mile of countryside into a bombsite.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jet Jaguar posted:

We had to have our sewer line replaced and at one point they had five guys just standing around, staring into one of the trenches. "Well this can't be good," I said.

Turns out the gas company had lied about where the line ran under the street, and the mystery pipe they discovered while digging the last trench was, in fact, the gas main. One emergency locate later, they admitted their mistake.

Could have been a very exciting adventure.

I still remember the morning they went to dig up the street next to the shop where I worked at the time and with literally the first touch of the drill they hit a gas main. It was fun watching the realisation of the scale of the fuckup develop - we wisely self-evacuated to the next corner as soon as we saw the mirage of what was obviously a *lot* of gas escaping from the small hole in the street, and watched as a confab of police, fire brigade and blokes in all the colours of the high-viz rainbow came to stare at the little hole and shrug (for added fun the street was right next to the police station) before the police moved us back to the next corner, evacuating all of the other shops as they went. Then the only panicked-looking fireman I've ever seen came running down the street shouting MOVE BACK NOW! and we were evacuated a full 500 metres away (coincidentally to right outside a pub where we spent the rest of the day fielding calls from the owner of the shop asking us why we couldn't sneak back through the cordon to grab stuff to sell).

Anyway it turns out that they'd hit an undocumented, blocked-off spur of the 3-foot high-pressure main that supplied a big chunk of gas to West London, and the company that were just supposed to be fixing a damaged drain *had* done a survey of where they were supposed to be digging, on the other side of the street, but the crew had gone to the wrong side of the street, seen that there were no marks indicating they couldn't drill, and, welp.

e: While trying to find some news reports about it (probably a fool's errand as it happened in the mid-90s so as far as the internet's concerned might as well have been in the Byzantine Empire) I did come across this:

quote:

The defendants were found to be joint tort feasors in Brooke v. Bool110, where two men
searching for a gas leak each applied a naked light to a gas pipe in turn and one of
them caused an explosion. They were held to be joint tortfeasors.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 8, 2021

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Joint Tortfeasors is my favourite Star Wars character

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have always thought piped gas sounds like a safety hazard right out of dystopian steampunk. I don't know if that's the selection bias from only hearing about it when it goes wrong, or if you all are just too familiar with it to notice.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Jet Jaguar posted:

We had to have our sewer line replaced and at one point they had five guys just standing around, staring into one of the trenches. "Well this can't be good," I said.

Turns out the gas company had lied about where the line ran under the street, and the mystery pipe they discovered while digging the last trench was, in fact, the gas main. One emergency locate later, they admitted their mistake.

Could have been a very exciting adventure.

My parents' neighbor a Comcast contractor come out to do some trenching work when I was a kid and they managed to hit the main gas main supplying the neighborhood -- made obvious by a deafening roaring sound you could hear well up the street and chunks of earth pushed up in several neighbors' yards across the street as the gas worked its way out of ground. The contractors were standing around looking confused, some were smoking, so after 20 or so minutes of inaction I called the fire department.

Very quickly thereafter the whole block was evacuated and someone got the gas company out to shut off the main and work the repair. Interestingly, the gas company folks weren't concerned about anyone or anything until after the shutoff -- something to do with the fuel-air mixture I suppose.

To this day I'm not sure what size line they hit but it must have been a doozy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of gas pipelines, this one is from several years ago in Missouri

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/massive-gas-pipeline-explosion-caught-on-tape/#x

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Computer viking posted:

I have always thought piped gas sounds like a safety hazard right out of dystopian steampunk. I don't know if that's the selection bias from only hearing about it when it goes wrong, or if you all are just too familiar with it to notice.

Anything delivering the energy needed to heat etc a city is gonna have an exciting failure mode or two

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Computer viking posted:

"The gas line going into my house is working like it's supposed to. None of my poo poo has exploded or caught fire, and my family is healthy and safe." Is not a story anyone, even me, gives a poo poo about.

Food for thought;
Touching the gas with your bare hands won't instantly kill you. The same cannot be said for the electricity being piped into your home.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On one hand, true. On the other hand, a slow electricity leak into my basement doesn't turn my house into a bomb, and accidentally digging into electrical mains does not carry an overhanging risk of levelling the entire city block.

(Also, brushing your hand over 230V may be both risky and unpleasant, but I've done it enough times to confirm that it won't instagib you either.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 8, 2021

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Computer viking posted:

accidentally digging into electrical mains does not carry an overhanging risk of levelling the entire city block.

ehhhh. There are exceptions to this. there are some buried high voltage cables where if you puncture the containment, you let out the dielectric cooling oil, and you're going to have a very bad day.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

darkwasthenight posted:

I had a sketchy hour or so hoping one of our teams hadn't just turned half a mile of countryside into a bombsite.

This is why one of my career goals is to never be the Todd in a "if there's a huge fuckup call Todd" sign.

MikeCrotch posted:

Joint Tortfeasors is my favourite Star Wars character

Joint Tortfeasors, notorious crime lord who controls the gas mining operation on the planet Bool-110.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's fair. Punching through something like a long distance HVDC cable would be better experienced as a youtube documentary a year or two after the crater calms down.

I'm just saying that if we had never had piped gas outside industrial settings before, we would have looked at it with some distrust if it were suggested today.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I mean same with gas stations and water heaters. The amount of chemical potential energy you deal with on a daily basis is horrifying if laid out like a risk assessment.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Why dig into a gas line when you can just hack it instead?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1391004402148954116?s=21

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Zero One posted:

It's not like we weren't warned. Constantly, by doomsayers. Just ignore them though mental health is part of workplace safety.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

zedprime posted:

I mean same with gas stations and water heaters. The amount of chemical potential energy you deal with on a daily basis is horrifying if laid out like a risk assessment.

Gas stations are kind of nuts, yeah - let's just keep huge tanks of volatile and highly flammable chemicals around and let random members of the public come and pump as much as they want/can afford. Not really a huge source of major accidents, somehow.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Gas stations are kind of nuts, yeah - let's just keep huge tanks of volatile and highly flammable chemicals around and let random members of the public come and pump as much as they want/can afford. Not really a huge source of major accidents, somehow.

If gasoline/diesel wasn't the literal backbone of the world economy, there is no way that it would be approved for use by the public with how carcinogenic and straight up unsafe it is. It's only via collective societal experience and normalization that we (generally) safely handle it so much at all.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Which is also the point I was trying to make about piped gas - except that it has not really been a thing here, so I never got used to the idea in the first place. :)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Computer viking posted:

Volatile, flammable and corrosive. If the stuff hadn't basically been grandfathered into our society pre-OSHA you'd need hazmat training just to pump gasoline and diesel into your car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

Oh look someone has a flat network

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh look someone has a flat network

None of this should be even accessible directly from the internet in any way shape or form. At all.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So uhh. I live in the NEast. Guess i should go fill up my car gas tanks right now?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BitBasher posted:

None of this should be even accessible directly from the internet in any way shape or form. At all.

Obviously, but these are the same companies that regularly feature on the CSB's excellent Chemical Safety Failure videos on Youtube.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

BitBasher posted:

I watched a DefCon presentation about some guys who set up a bot to crawl random IPs and found what looked like a control GUI for a German foundry

Security by obscurity seems to be a standard accepted by people whose focuses are industrial engineering

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 8, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I saw that, or a similar one. He had a pic of what looked like a control interface for some plant and said well I can't read Korean but whatever this is it has the unit "megawatts" behind these numbers so probably it should not be open to being hosed with by some rando

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
there was also the one where a guy got into a water plant control system via an unsecured or poorly secured vnc host and hosed with the chemical settings

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

lmao

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

why did you reply to this 5 month old post?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's a pretty funny video to be fair

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FCKGW posted:

why did you reply to this 5 month old post?

This thread moves fast and maybe they are one of those people who can't bear to skip over pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This thread moves fast and maybe they are one of those people who can't bear to skip over pages.

Either that, or they woke up after a very very long rest and are trying to catch up.