Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Santa: what do you want for Christmas little buddy?

Child: Shell shock

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1199316057451880448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Squalid posted:

safety wasn't much of a priority in the film industry for a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbNnYpxbGTk

In this clip Buster Keaton broke his neck while swinging down and opening the spout of a large water tank over his head. They hadn't tested the stunt before and the force of the water was much stronger than expected, smashing Keaton into the ground. Keaton was kind of like Jackie Chan in that he insisted on doing all of his own stunts, and also like Jackie Chan, would severely injure himself repeatedly in the process.

Keaton and Jackie Chan would definitely be on the Mount Rushmore of Filmmaking OSHA. Plus, Tom Cruise and ummm...Steve-O?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Mak0rz posted:

:stonk:

This allegedly occurred in Kazakhstan. They deserve to have Borat as their only claim to fame. :effort:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So asking for some sort of certification before purchasing high powered fireworks just not a thing huh.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Everything about this is very safe and very cool

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ema Nymton posted:

:stonk:

This allegedly occurred in Kazakhstan. They deserve to have Borat as their only claim to fame. :effort:

Also, I hear they're the largest producer of potassium.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Everything about this is very safe and very cool

• hard hats
  • gloves
  • properly fitting yet flexible jeans

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

By popular demand posted:

So asking for some sort of certification before purchasing high powered fireworks just not a thing huh.

hell, they still sell fireworks to Colin Furze whenever he gets a million subscribers

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Long read - https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/11/amazon-warehouse-reports-show-worker-injuries/602530/

quote:

She started the job in April 2018, and within two months, or nearly 100,000 items, the lifting had destroyed her back. An Amazon-approved doctor said she had bulging discs and diagnosed her with a back sprain, joint inflammation, and chronic pain, determining that her injuries were 100 percent due to her job. She could no longer work at Amazon. Today, she can barely climb stairs. Walking her dog, doing the dishes, getting out of her chair—everything is painful. According to her medical records, her condition is unlikely to improve.

quote:

When a maintenance worker was crushed to death by a forklift there, state officials in Indiana, which then was jockeying for Amazon’s second headquarters, sided with the company over their own investigator.

tl;dr - Amazon fulfillment centers average exponentially higher rates of injury and death than industry average. State and local officials work with OSHA to cover up incidents as they prostrate themselves before Bezos begging for scraps.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Mak0rz posted:

Bam Margera's 2019 comeback lookin' good

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/cqdHsEi.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Squalid posted:

safety wasn't much of a priority in the film industry for a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbNnYpxbGTk

In this clip Buster Keaton broke his neck while swinging down and opening the spout of a large water tank over his head. They hadn't tested the stunt before and the force of the water was much stronger than expected, smashing Keaton into the ground. Keaton was kind of like Jackie Chan in that he insisted on doing all of his own stunts, and also like Jackie Chan, would severely injure himself repeatedly in the process.

Bonus unrelated clip
https://i.imgur.com/sBi9a2E.mp4

These guys got together with a stuntman friend of theirs to cover some Jackie Chan stunts. Even his most minor fight scenes and stunts involve him brutally abusing himself and taking legit hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnWH7zNZpY

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Fairly OSHA, just reading Buster Keaton's biography on wikipedia:

quote:

The act was mainly a comedy sketch. Myra played the saxophone to one side, while Joe and Buster performed on center stage. The young Keaton would goad his father by disobeying him, and the elder Keaton would respond by throwing him against the scenery, into the orchestra pit, or even into the audience. A suitcase handle was sewn into Keaton's clothing to aid with the constant tossing. The act evolved as Keaton learned to take trick falls safely; he was rarely injured or bruised on stage. This knockabout style of comedy led to accusations of child abuse, and occasionally, arrest. However, Buster Keaton was always able to show the authorities that he had no bruises or broken bones. He was eventually billed as "The Little Boy Who Can't Be Damaged", with the overall act being advertised as "The Roughest Act That Was Ever in the History of the Stage"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In high school I did a scene where I was supposed to be thrown onto a small table. We rehearsed it with me going onto it backwards so I could lift myself onto it and roll off safely (in most throws and lifts in film/stage or wrestling, the victim is actually throwing themselves and aiding with the lift). When the time came to perform, he forgot most of his blocking and just hurled me headfirst. I ended up doing the best stunt fall in my life to avoid breaking my arm or neck on that one.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

Fairly OSHA, just reading Buster Keaton's biography on wikipedia:

That's some damning faint praise. "After enough trial and error, most of the time he doesn't get seriously injured!"

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Well, this is one way to get caught up on 3,600 unread posts in a thread you like but neglected for a month or so.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

looks like a normal J-Haul truck to me.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

looks like a normal J-Haul truck to me.

The more I look at that, the more I like it. The tie-downs and step-rails are all where they are supposed to be. The frame is even "bent". Are those FWD? It might actually drive, although you could only go in circles the wrong direction in a subway tunnel.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

5er posted:

Well, this is one way to get caught up on 3,600 unread posts in a thread you like but neglected for a month or so.

sorry, you're not allowed to set foot on the threadsite until you're current on training and take this quiz on the previous thread.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mak0rz posted:

"accidentally" got outdoor fireworks.

The ol' Greatwhite defense.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

madeintaipei posted:

The more I look at that, the more I like it. The tie-downs and step-rails are all where they are supposed to be. The frame is even "bent". Are those FWD? It might actually drive, although you could only go in circles the wrong direction in a subway tunnel.

Unfortunately(..?), it's a work by Erwin Wurm so I wouldn't expect it to drive as is. Not that automotive industry shouldn't buy these designs, his works look practical compared to Tesla Truck.

edit: :hmbol:
The German City Of Karlsruhe Just Issued A Parking Ticket To A Bent Car Sculpture By Austrian Artist Erwin Wurm

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 26, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Unfortunately(..?), it's a work by Erwin Wurm so I wouldn't expect it to drive as is. Not that automotive industry shouldn't buy these designs, his works look practical compared to Tesla Truck.

always wanted to drive a dead melting pikachu on its back

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, it looked WAY better before it got stung by that bee.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

This may be Die :thejoke:, but please tell me this is from the Die Zwiebel or something equivalent?

Nenonen posted:

This is what happens when you let the summer sun heat up your Brietle.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

I don't think they're lying, but im not gonna take their word for it either.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

This seems to be an illustration from a medieval work safety manual, the importance of proper PPE is pushed with such colourful detail here.

Dudes by the ladder:
Shield guy: "Hey Jerome, I need to use this ladder for temporary access, will you hold it steady for me?"
Jerome the ladder guy: "Oh sure... I'm ready."
Leofrick the Impatient: "Sweet, me first!"
Shield guy: "Stand fast Leo, you need... aw for fucks sake!"

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
sucks to be the guy who got hanged before the party started

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Little parachute problem:

Edit: Sorry folks, video doesn't show death but I didn't intend to post something where someone wound up dead afterwards.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 27, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

sucks to be the guy who got hanged before the party started

He's just hanging there, observing the situation. They didn't have security cameras back then.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Maybe they should tie a bungee cord to the parachutists and cut it off only after the parachute has opened.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 27, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Just FYI, that was fatal.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Shut up Meg posted:

Edit: Ah, poo poo. Looks from the video like he survived but news reports say different.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 27, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Reserve chute's slowed him down as much as it's going to before he lands. If it was fatal I'll delete the link.

It was fatal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shut up Meg posted:

The video right under claims not. View of it from the ground.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I don't know if it bothers me more or less that this is on official signage. So either it was broken long enough that they were able to go to the printers and get a sign fully designed and printed (specifically for the bear enclosure), or they just have signs like this ready to go because glass cracking is a common enough occurrence that it makes sense to have signs like this on hand.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

The video right under claims not. View of it from the ground.

People go on the internet and just tell lies?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paratrooper-falls-death-horror-crash-13231508

Don't trust anything you see on imgur, people just straight up lie about things so people give them up votes. There's one of Rafal Nadal hitting a tennis ball into the commentators box with a caption about how they were mispronouncing his name. Except that's not what happened at all.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 27, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Well, the Mirror is kind of known for going on the internet and telling lies, yes. Here's the local report:

https://translate.googleusercontent...BMeZox3osLQa5jw

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Phanatic posted:

Edit: Sorry folks, video doesn't show death but I didn't intend to post something where someone wound up dead afterwards.

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a lucky escape too. :smith:

Here, have a palate cleanser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6hqMnsLFY

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Don't mind me, just grinding up some venison on my home made grinder.

https://i.imgur.com/vEiWFtb.mp4