Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

quote:

“This fact is unfortunate, because in an intentional way the ladder of the worker who was painting my house was demolished. Thank God there have been no cases to regret, the boy is alive,” he told RPP News

Is there an OSHA thing about news services obviously just machine translating stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

hemale in pain posted:

when im normal cycling i do try to remind myself that someone can murder me and not face any consequences for it

He had to pay 1800 bucks, and a short driving ban which he argued against. He even fell asleep in the cop car leaving the scene and refused to accept guilt or look at the families in court...he's obviously suffered enough.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpaue3Jhn1o

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

SealHammer posted:

I

O: Your safety isn't on.
D: The hammer is down.
O: But your safety isn't on.
D:Yeah but the hammer is down.
O: Yeah but your safety isn't on.

I had a similar incident once, I was at a range that allowed you to draw and fire from the holster- many ranges don't allow this for safety reasons. I was using a DAO semi-automatic, which has no safety. DAO is a pistol that can never be cocked, it always requires a long, heavy trigger pull. The range officer saw that my hammer was down, and for some reason had never heard of DAO pistols and insisted that all semi-automatics had to be cocked & locked in the holsters - that is, hammer cocked with safety on.

I eventually just cleared the pistol, put it down and asked him to do it for me. After a few minutes of fiddling with it he muttered "carry on" and wandered away.

I'm glad they pay attention to safety issues though.

Edit: carrying hammer down with a SAO pistols unsafe.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm glad they pay attention to safety issues though.

This. I'd much rather have to have a conversation with an inexperienced RO than have one there, sleeping. Which has happened to me at a local range. I went to ask where I should put my misfires, and zzzzzzzz.

Unrelated, I stopped going to that range several years ago and it burned down at like 3am a few months ago. I'm just going to assume some OSHA poo poo because that place was a dang deathtrap, fire safety-wise.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RkRTs9k7hY&t=60s

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ahh. It's so satisfying watching cops greatly increase their lead exposure in confined spaces for target practice.

I've never been fond of indoor ranges. Used to go to one a few years back, but there's just no way to make shooting indoors feel comfortable to me. Especially if they let people in with shotguns who want to use birdshot on a paper zombie target. That place shut down a year or two ago.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ahh. It's so satisfying watching cops greatly increase their lead exposure in confined spaces for target practice.

I've never been fond of indoor ranges. Used to go to one a few years back, but there's just no way to make shooting indoors feel comfortable to me. Especially if they let people in with shotguns who want to use birdshot on a paper zombie target. That place shut down a year or two ago.

Poor ventilation is a huge factor in me choosing to drive up to the mountains to shoot, instead of going to the local lead-filled shooting-dungeon. The only upside to indoor ranges is closeness, and sometimes folks rent stuff like a SCAR and let others fire it. My ex has a big ol' USMC tattoo that seems to make folks want to let her handle the fancy guns they're renting so that's neat.

EDIT: I feel like there should be a separate thread for range OSHA, because that's a hotbed for a specific type of stupid

Vanadium Dame fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 13, 2020

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

what the hell are they shooting, dragon's breath?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BMan posted:

what the hell are they shooting, dragon's breath?

There’s next to no recoil, maybe some kind of flash and sound blank less-than-lethal?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I don't know how they could stand to breathe in there. Even before the fire started the room looked full of smoke.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

worth noting that the rates of youth violence have almost perfectly tracked the utilization of of leaded gasoline with a 15-year lag. the phaseout started in the mid-70s and by 1990 youth violence was on the decline, contrary to all predictions at the time. it's now at a historic (post-ww2) low and so is airborne lead concentration.

cops a re already murderous psychopaths, of course, but the lead exposure probably doesn't help

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

By popular demand posted:

Quick aside: that man seems to have plenty of upper body strength, wouldn't be be able to get around on crutches?

WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU NOT LOOK UP BEFORE MOVING A LADDER YOU rear end in a top hat

He's a door to door wheelchair salesman. Gotta make new customers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

worth noting that the rates of youth violence have almost perfectly tracked the utilization of of leaded gasoline with a 15-year lag. the phaseout started in the mid-70s and by 1990 youth violence was on the decline, contrary to all predictions at the time. it's now at a historic (post-ww2) low and so is airborne lead concentration.

cops a re already murderous psychopaths, of course, but the lead exposure probably doesn't help

It took forever to get that done as US petroleum industry argued hard against removing lead from gas even as people when literally insane inside their own plants from having to handle Tetraethyl Lead.

https://www.pittmed.health.pitt.edu/story/houses-butterflies

This was also after nearly every other country had said "gently caress no, this stuff is crazy toxic, we'll use Ethanol for anti-knock"

Thomas Midgley was an absolute fuckstain

https://youtu.be/dPATHBg5-zw

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sagebrush posted:

For real? Not just some correlation, but showing a real link?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shut up Meg posted:

I guess check the Flint, MI police scanner in 2029.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I often wonder if the lead poisoning is a contributing factor to Trump and Brexit, and the general shittiness of Boomers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shut up Meg posted:

The link was well established by the 1970s, and was largely known even prior to the 20th Century, its where the idea of the Mad Hatter came from, even the Romans knew exposure to lead often led to madness and violent behavior.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Shut up Meg posted:

Yes, there’s a study that found data so granular that they were able to track when individual gas stations switched to unleaded and link it to neighbourhood crime rate declines.

e: ^the Mad Hatter was mercury, not lead

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

CommieGIR posted:

It took forever to get that done as US petroleum industry argued hard against removing lead from gas even as people when literally insane inside their own plants from having to handle Tetraethyl Lead.

https://www.pittmed.health.pitt.edu/story/houses-butterflies

This was also after nearly every other country had said "gently caress no, this stuff is crazy toxic, we'll use Ethanol for anti-knock"

Thomas Midgley was an absolute fuckstain

https://youtu.be/dPATHBg5-zw

Just because Capitalism has never valued human life over profits doesn't mean that they wont start doing that now you see.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lazyhound posted:

Yes, there’s a study that found data so granular that they were able to track when individual gas stations switched to unleaded and link it to neighbourhood crime rate declines.

e: ^the Mad Hatter was mercury, not lead

True, I stand corrected.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

The link was well established by the 1970s, and was largely known even prior to the 20th Century, its where the idea of the Mad Hatter came from, even the Romans knew exposure to lead often led to madness and violent behavior.

Pretty sure the mad hatter was mercury

E: lol yes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yes, mercury was used in the process of making felt.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

My favourite mercury madman is Ivan the terrible, his habit of drinking mercury wasn't solely to blame for how hosed up he was but it definitely didn't help.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

CommieGIR posted:

even the Romans knew exposure to lead often led to madness and violent behavior.

Didn't stop them from using lead pipes, lead cups, lead cooking pots, and white lead face paint

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

CommieGIR posted:

The link was well established by the 1970s, and was largely known even prior to the 20th Century, even the Romans knew exposure to lead often led to madness and violent behavior.
I'm interested because in the UK, it was long 'known' that overhead power lines resulted in an increase in childhood leukemia.
Then they did some more studies fairly recently and showed that there was no link, not even correlation when you looked at the numbers properly. So, I always get interested when they prove/disprove these things.

Lazyhound posted:

loving hell, that's scary & impressive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40593353

and gently caress this guy and the oil/chemical companies:

quote:

About a century ago, when General Motors had first proposed adding lead to petrol - in order to improve performance - scientists were alarmed. They urged the government to investigate the public health implications.
Midgley breezily assured the surgeon general that "the average street will probably be so free from lead that it will be impossible to detect it or its absorption", although he conceded that "no actual experimental data has been taken".

Oh, and he went onto invent CFC, the greenhouse gas

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Folks used to straight up drink metallic mercury to aid digestion or whatever else ailed you. Which, if you didn't know much about science, would seem pretty awesome. Mercury is cool looking and fairly unique.

Also, stuff like this was sold. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_mass

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

and gently caress this guy and the oil/chemical companies:

Oh, and he went onto invent CFC, the greenhouse gas

He also became disabled later in life, designed a contraption made of ropes and pulleys to help him get around and subsequently strangled himself. TO DEATH.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Erisian Automata posted:

Folks used to straight up drink metallic mercury to aid digestion or whatever else ailed you. Which, if you didn't know much about science, would seem pretty awesome. Mercury is cool looking and fairly unique.

Also, stuff like this was sold. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_mass

Also antimony pills to make you poo poo. You would fish the pill out of your poo poo and reuse it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BMan posted:

Also antimony pills to make you poo poo. You would fish the pill out of your poo poo and reuse it.

Wait you're only supposed to do that with antimony pills?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think you will find the reduction in crime rate is because our boys in blue must use the energy density inferior octane boosters and they run out of gas before catching all the criminals they used to be able to on a nice leaded gas tank.

I am immensely kidding but the causation of the crime drop is still contrevertible and I don't want to stick a fork in it because the obvious cause is the lead but society usually finds ways to be weirder than obvious.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

BMan posted:

Ah, another reason to buy some metallic antimony.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BMan posted:

Didn't stop them from using lead pipes, lead cups, lead cooking pots, and white lead face paint

Well, we know CO2/Methane increase global warming, but here we are slowly killing ourselves.

quote:

Various writers in ancient Rome considered lead to be a poison, either explicitly or implicitly, including Pliny the Elder, Dioscurides, Galen, Celsus and Vitruvius (80–70 BCE); it was Vitruvius who described lead plumbing specifically to be unhealthy.[6] The epidemics of saturnine colic (17th century) and Devonshire colic both lasted for decades, the latter of which was only recognized by George Baker in 1767 as being caused by lead ingestion some 70 years after it was first recognized as a disease.[7] Lead use and concomitant poisoning of lead workers increased mark Industrial Revolution.[7] The toxic effects of lead in workers were recognized by science in the 19th century, and the first laws regulating lead exposure in the workplace came about in the UK in the 1870s-1880s.[7] The first documented poisoning from lead paint ingestion was in 1914

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RzrUOCWjtw

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

BMan posted:

I read an article once that tracked the rise and fall of roman industry by the concentration of lead pollution in glaciers.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Mercury is how they traced the Lewis and Clark expedition. Apparently the cure they used for 99% of the problems they had were a mixture of jalap and mercury (called thunderclappers :haw: ) and there's a definite trail of mercury deposits showing where they stopped off at.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Mercury is how they traced the Lewis and Clark expedition. Apparently the cure they used for 99% of the problems they had were a mixture of jalap and mercury (called thunderclappers :haw: ) and there's a definite trail of mercury deposits showing where they stopped off at.

I had no idea, and reading about this is fascinating. Big fan of this quote:

'Calomel was the wonder drug of the age. In large doses, it functioned as a savage purgative, causing lengthy and productive sessions in the outhouse, guaranteeing the restoration of one’s bile balance. And in small doses, it was effective against the most dreaded “social disease” of the age, syphilis.

But take too much of it and your teeth would fall out, and you might die of mercury poisoning. Calomel’s modern scientific name is mercury chloride.'

From http://www.offbeatoregon.com/H1006d_BiliousPills.html

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I had no idea that people still fall for the drop bear joke, I've never been to Australia but I learned about it from comic books 20 years ago.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Shut up Meg posted:

I'm interested because in the UK, it was long 'known' that overhead power lines resulted in an increase in childhood leukemia.
Then they did some more studies fairly recently and showed that there was no link, not even correlation when you looked at the numbers properly. So, I always get interested when they prove/disprove these things.
This is a good correlation!=causation example. Houses under overhead power lines are not desirable. They end up with tenants who don't have a choice to live further away, usually because they're poor. Poor people have worse health outcomes. Therefore, living under power line = sick. That's the general idea. Add "on average" to each of these sentences.

Weembles posted:

I read an article once that tracked the rise and fall of roman industry by the concentration of lead pollution in glaciers.
I saw similar for lake sediments. As the Romans prospered they built more aqueducts and the construction added fresh lead pollution to the water supply, which in turn ended up dumped into the waste flowing into lakes. Sediments capture the lead and make for a record of how much construction was going on as a proxy for the expansion and expenditure in the city.

Here's a similar paper:
https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/early/2017/08/22/1706334114.full.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

BMan posted:

It's called leading a good life for a reason!