Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Mushika posted:

Jeebus, I don't even know where to begin with this.

Pretty sure you pull the breaker. Actually probably every breaker in the house because who knows how many other fun surprises like that are around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Cojawfee posted:

Lumberjack school needs some physics classes.

Or at least a couple of Roadrunner & Coyote eps

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Varkk posted:

Pretty sure you pull the breaker. Actually probably every breaker in the house because who knows how many other fun surprises like that are around.

Yeah pull breakers, call an A-grade electrician or equivalent in your area, and maybe talk to the bank about a new loan to pay for it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

brugroffil posted:

"global warming isn't real," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the climate into hellworld with my lovely industrialization

No you see, its the Sun and natural cycles and blah blah blah ROLLING COAL YEE HAW!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

If they wired that right (Or rather very wrong) you could turn on the lights by just bridging the screws with your flesh!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/f5A1Lwd.mp4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

How do you wire that up? Don't both screws attach to the same metal enclosure? I'd assume they would be at the same voltage.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Uthor posted:

How do you wire that up? Don't both screws attach to the same metal enclosure? I'd assume they would be at the same voltage.

They are probably in a plastic enclosure.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Uthor posted:

It has to be deliberate surely? I mean it makes no sense otherwise.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blindspots.mp4

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramoro posted:

It has to be deliberate surely? I mean it makes no sense otherwise.

Hooked the ground wires to the screws maybe?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hooked the ground wires to the screws maybe?

The screws piercing the wires might also be a possibility.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

two single-gang metal boxes, right side one grounded properly, left side one ungrounded and with the hot screw on the side of the switch bumping against the side of the box.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

razak posted:

They are probably in a plastic enclosure.

I'd bet it's this, and it's not even that hard to do. Plastic enclosure, no ground on the switch, screw mounting the switch goes into the wire nut behind it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

The screws piercing the wires might also be a possibility.

I thought screws piercing wires, but then they would both be needing to pierce the right wire.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

that could have easily had been a human instead of a pole. goddamn what an idiot

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Yeah, that's a person I wouldn't drive around. I already have to deal with one rear end in a top hat at work who doesn't look when he backs up. Thankfully he's the only real idiot and we all know to keep our eyes on him. When going forward I'm basically never going without moving my head left to right so I don't have blindspots.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MRC48B posted:

The trump admin started make noises about reversing the various reefer bans, until the lobbyists shut it down hard.

They make more money on R-22 banking and 4 series refrigerants and equipment than they ever would of got without Montreal.

China’s there to pick up the slack.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/24/world/asia/china-ozone-cfc.html

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

They're so cute when they're chasing laser beams. :allears:

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Hackers film 1995 posted:

that could have easily had been a human instead of a pole. goddamn what an idiot

That's what the blue light's for! If you see that spot coming at you quick gtfo of the way. Safety!

Seriously those blue lights have helped reduce a lot of close calls, especially on forklifts backing out of racks. Everybody and their mother is throwing blue lights all over their lifts now.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

extravadanza posted:

That's what the blue light's for! If you see that spot coming at you quick gtfo of the way. Safety!

Seriously those blue lights have helped reduce a lot of close calls, especially on forklifts backing out of racks. Everybody and their mother is throwing blue lights all over their lifts now.

At my work, the forklifts all got blue for reverse and red for forward. Sounds like that's standard practice now.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yea we are putting red bar lights on the side by special request too to act as a 'don't get closer than this' line for when people walk up to operators to talk.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Our lifts have blue lights for front and reverse and red side lights, they are extremely good for increasing situational awareness as a pedestrian

Someone got fired for tilting the red side lights to point upwards recently

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

extravadanza posted:

seems like there would be nowhere to hide from that guy

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Blindspots.mp4

It's extremely blind when you arent even looking

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

That bollard looks like its already been hit at the top at some point.
I've seen the blue lights on Forklifts a few times when I've done jobs i warehouses. Only when reversing, but still when I saw a couple going around like that annd saw them in action I was all :drat: Good fuckin idea. Those fork fuckers were bombing around everywhere. Fast too.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Blue light special, coming up! BAM!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/pyKQkHC.gifv

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

I have a question, having watched that forklift-fuckery about a dozen times scrolling around the thread, just on this page - I really don't know much about bollards, other than they serve as a barrier for poo poo running into other poo poo, like a car ramming into a bank. And there are hilarious bollards, like the ones in the UK that will surprise-ruin a vehicle if you drive over while they're ostensibly retracted.

What are bollards made of and how far down into the earth are they planted? Because every gif/video I've seen of anything hitting a bollard results in the bollard shrugging at best, and the offending vehicle having the worst day ever.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Depends on what the bollard is supposed to stop.

A K12 rated bollard can stop a 15k lb truck going 50mph.

They don't actually have to be that deep

https://www.tymetal.com/crash/crash-bollards/tfb-80trb-80bollards/

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Fixed bollards can either be buried or bolted down to the ground depending on the application- usually the buried ones are a thick pipe that is buried about 6" with a filler like concrete.

Decorative and removable bollards exist as well and provide more of a visual barrier with no real ability to take an impact.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1217077657013063682

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

are the big red balls outside of targets functional bollards or just decorative

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

snoo posted:

I'm pretty sure they're made out of concrete and are functional.

edit: yup
https://abc7ny.com/news/incredi-ball-2-ton-target-cement-ball-rolls-through-paramus-parking-lot/1734236/

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

snoo posted:

Apparently they can get loose

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

snoo posted:

They're there to stop idiots driving on the sidewalk, and are functional for that purpose. Don't know whether they'd stop a truck, but they are a bigass chunk of concrete.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

that doesn't seem very functional?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Fixed bollards can either be buried or bolted down to the ground depending on the application- usually the buried ones are a thick pipe that is buried about 6" with a filler like concrete.

Decorative and removable bollards exist as well and provide more of a visual barrier with no real ability to take an impact.

I've seen removables that go into a casement that's buried pretty deep, might not stop a loaded truck at full speed but seems like it'd do a good job against an idiot in a sedan.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

They're there to stop idiots driving on the sidewalk, and are functional for that purpose. Don't know whether they'd stop a truck, but they are a bigass chunk of concrete.

They're also there to stop people from driving on the sidewalk deliberately, because that's the world we live in now.

Belatedly added on bike/running paths in NYC for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
They're usually a requirement in all lanes where parking access control equipment is installed in garages due to the alarming driver tendency to drive into anything and everything nearby the lane, such as gate operators, terminals, attendant shacks, technicians, installers, cars in the other lane, etc..