Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Hggyuuuhhhnh is the best approximation of the noise my brain made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dehumanize yourself and face to battery

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Scratch Monkey posted:

I recently called the state utility location service because I planned to plant something in my front yard and was informed that I apparently don't have running water in my house.

If they only marked up the the water shutoff then it means you own the line from the shut off to your house, and should get a private locator out there to locate it the rest of the way.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I get that if it's abandoned, you backfill it. Though it sounds like it's still in use, so something allowing access, yet securable, would be better than a gaping hole for squirrels and rabbits to fall into.

If you don't maintain whatever you cover/secure it with, it's going to fall into disrepair, doesn't matter what you use. Something is better than nothing, though.

Seems like you're shrugging off the idea of securing a death pit because "it'll fail eventually."

If its no longer in use, the very least to be done is remove any pumping equipment. Pump several well volumes (diameter x depth) using other equipment to pump that poo poo out, and then filling it with a "suitable sealant".

"Suitable sealant" is ideally bentonite grout, tremied from the bottom up (not just poured since that would dilute the poo poo out of it) but as a DIY job, you could probably get away with dumping bentonite chips down there. It looks like a big diameter well, and could be rather deep so it may take a *lot* of that poo poo. Like more than a skid.

Best practice would be to call a well drilling company and get them to do it.

I abandoned a well today as a matter of fact.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 7, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My neighbor punctured a gas line digging 4" down to plant hydrangeas.

A year or so back, my parents' neighbors were getting a new fence, which then escalated to a bunch of people getting new fences, all with the same company. Everything went great until they were working on the last house and they pulled out a fence post, started clearing out the hole to put in a new fence post, and punctured a gas line that I guess was going from the street to the house. They hadn't called, because I guess why would you call for a hole that technically already exists. I'm guessing the fine wiped out a good chunk of their profits from the whole thing. I'm not sure why the people who put the original fence in would put the post directly on top of where they gas line would have been marked, but whatever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cojawfee posted:

A year or so back, my parents' neighbors were getting a new fence, which then escalated to a bunch of people getting new fences, all with the same company. Everything went great until they were working on the last house and they pulled out a fence post, started clearing out the hole to put in a new fence post, and punctured a gas line that I guess was going from the street to the house. They hadn't called, because I guess why would you call for a hole that technically already exists. I'm guessing the fine wiped out a good chunk of their profits from the whole thing. I'm not sure why the people who put the original fence in would put the post directly on top of where they gas line would have been marked, but whatever.

The gas line might have been directionally drilled, after the fence was put up.
Or typically if you're digging a hole with a shovel you don't *need* locates. Only when using powered equipment or certain other things. I think around here if you're digging with a shovel "hand digging" then you don't need them. But you do need them if using a pick axe because you're swinging that motherfucker or a T bar driver because you're banging that poo poo..

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This is why they need to be thrown into the ocean, far more dangerous on land.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

rear end, grass or GADS. No one rides for free.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/j88IxSt.gifv

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJCfeipvIQ

I have a lot of questions, first of which is how did those get there?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Elviscat posted:

I'm not sure what kind of "maintenance" you can do on unreinforced concrete.

Anyways this is the new cover, it's steel reinforced so it should last a good bit longer.

So what kind of croquet set did you get?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

"We were called out for 'humps in the floor' and discovered this..."

https://i.imgur.com/RY5pE8D.mp4

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Batterypowered7 posted:

"We were called out for 'humps in the floor' and discovered this..."

https://i.imgur.com/RY5pE8D.mp4

that looks expensive, not because of water, but because of sewage.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I abandoned a well today as a matter of fact.

I hope you get well soon.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

Probably Noah-related.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
saw this in the schadenfreude thread and knew it also belongs here

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

The drain did open up by the look of it.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

The drain did open up by the look of it.

Yeah, opened up all over the inside of the cabinet when the p-trap compression ring blows off.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

We had to have our sewer line replaced and at one point they had five guys just standing around, staring into one of the trenches. "Well this can't be good," I said.

Turns out the gas company had lied about where the line ran under the street, and the mystery pipe they discovered while digging the last trench was, in fact, the gas main. One emergency locate later, they admitted their mistake.

Could have been a very exciting adventure.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
This is old but I don't think it got here.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Pekinduck posted:

Well that is horrifying.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pekinduck posted:

Sure hope a Tesla was involved yikes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Memento posted:

`Nemesis posted:

that looks expensive, not because of water, but because of sewage.

I think that's ground water infiltration, but either way gently caress that, burn it down and start over

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yeah, opened up all over the inside of the cabinet when the p-trap compression ring blows off.

Yeah, that's a good way to turn a clogged drain into a $10,000 water damage remediation job, if it blows the wrong joint.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

What are those, sharps disposal bins? :gonk:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spatial posted:

Looks like medical waste in general

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Spatial posted:

Omg I had no idea
Lol what a MESS

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

The gas line might have been directionally drilled, after the fence was put up.
Or typically if you're digging a hole with a shovel you don't *need* locates. Only when using powered equipment or certain other things. I think around here if you're digging with a shovel "hand digging" then you don't need them. But you do need them if using a pick axe because you're swinging that motherfucker or a T bar driver because you're banging that poo poo..

Lol, let me tell you some stories of farmers just “digging for new fence posts”...

When I worked as a field tech, mf’s with god drat gardening level poo poo would cut into the plant that the previous Plant Manager buried around town... this was our constant worry: https://youtu.be/ZkEXfa2AMY0

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Spatial posted:

yeah that's all biowaste

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pekinduck posted:

OH NO :stonk:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

armchairyoda posted:

Lol, let me tell you some stories of farmers just “digging for new fence posts”...

When I worked as a field tech, mf’s with god drat gardening level poo poo would cut into the plant that the previous Plant Manager buried around town... this was our constant worry: https://youtu.be/ZkEXfa2AMY0

That went from 'wow, pretty bad' to *exponentially* worse when they panned across the road, holy poo poo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

top tier username/post combo

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Memento posted:

yeah that's all biowaste

Good news, it’s both!

The clear tops are for contaminated sharps the garbage pale looking ones are for just generally contaminated stuff. Think surgical sponges and the like.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

armchairyoda posted:

When I was in college I got a call from my parents where they had that tone that's a mix of "LOL that was crazy!" and "Oh gently caress we could have died." Overnight a bad thunderstorm rolled through and lightning struck a tree in the front yard and suddenly they were smelling gas. The bolt picked the tree closest to the gas line and nicked it, but I guess between it being so fast and the line being deep enough, the gas didn't get enough oxygen to ignite.

My parents immediately hosed off to the neighbors and called the gas company.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

I never loaded a truck, but I don't think the loaded shelves should have casters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SpaceCadetBob posted:

For the truly adventurous:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Space Kablooey posted:

I never loaded a truck, but I don't think the loaded shelves should have casters.

No, it's fine. assuming you load the truck correctly with load straps and bars to secure it from shifting. Like 70% of the trucks that got unloaded at my job had everything on wheels, but it was all strapped and locked in place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR_M7JPHcKA

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

jetz0r posted:

No, it's fine. assuming you load the truck correctly with load straps and bars to secure it from shifting. Like 70% of the trucks that got unloaded at my job had everything on wheels, but it was all strapped and locked in place.

Oh, cool! TIL.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

jetz0r posted:

No, it's fine. assuming you load the truck correctly

I think I found the flaw

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

GotLag posted:

I think I found the flaw

Yeah, if the load isn't secured, then this happens:

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Yeah the source said they didn't lock the casters and the carts smashed their way out the back door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Whooping Crabs posted:

saw this in the schadenfreude thread and knew it also belongs here

He probably tried to plunger the sink earlier, but didn't realize he had to block the sink overflow holes then either. Whatever that stuff is, yeah, check your drain plumbing after use.