Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

xtal posted:

In my town a homeless woman was sleeping in an alleyway and got run over by an garbage truck :(

In my college town a bus driver ran over a kid hiding in a pile of leaves to surprise his dad when he got off the bus.

I drove the same route. hosed up poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Where exactly are all these piles of leaves with easy access for cars?

Or are buses just driving out to the suburbs and up onto people lawns to get at the leaf piles?

Some people rake their leaves onto the road for municipal sucker-truck pickup.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

aas Bandit posted:

Seems like this could potentially go very badly if there were two small divots/imperfections on that sphere that happened to line up just so...super low odds, but it would be interesting to see.

It's a sphere of (seemingly) greater hardness than the spools. It's not even in the mesh plane, there's nothing to grab. That's why it wanders back and forth.

It was probably designed to make sure light materials all get thrown into the mesh plane and shredded.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Is prompt supercritical similar in its intent to the phrase 'rapid unplanned disassembly' or 'rapod-ox event'?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I want to be the manager of soothing words for uncomfortable events.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ok so it's a failure mode that reactors are designed to absorb and super-criticality doesn't necessarily mean you explode, just that you maybe hosed up your fuel/reactor chamber.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Phanatic posted:

That's the thing: "critical" means a steady-state, which implies that it's controlled. In films it's used to mean "oh poo poo," but in the real-world it means the opposite of "oh poo poo."

"Critical" is not a failure mode. "Supercritical" just means that you're in a state where power is increasing; that is also not a failure mode. "Prompt supercritical" can be a failure mode in a nuclear reactor(*), and is a necessary operating mode in a nuclear bomb.

(*) - as a blanket statement, this'd be incorrect. There are reactors like TRIGA where you can pull the control rods entirely, the core'll go prompt supercritical, and the thermal expansion of the fuel elements will instantly stop the reaction, no harm done. But generally it's a bad thing in a reactor.

Sick! Thanks!

I like how elegant nuke control is. I guess I was strictly talking about prompt supercritical but didn't appreciate the difference in the technical terms.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Structural fuel tanks built by the lowest bidder .

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It used to work in warthunder. The wing root is much more tough than the tip, and for the Zero, the root went out to like, the midpoint.

Resulting in this:

http://imgur.com/gallery/6BvDG2b

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Much worse, a bullet or series of bullets is just a micrometeor impact. The station is designed to take those kind of hits.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Platystemon posted:

It was totally a manufacturing oopsie.

It was in everyone’s interest to stop talking about it publicly.

Got a source for that?

They constantly measure the atmospheric pressure for leaks. The station is around 12 psi iirc.

Someone drilled through the pressure vessel and they patched it. The are patch kits for MM hits that would work for that.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Uthor posted:

Aren't there already systems that are basically "lift heavy thing"? Like, pumping water up to a tank or lifting a weight on a pulley system. Doesn't feel "crazy".

Kinetic flywheel batteries are used for load balancing. Big spinning flywheels that get braked to feed the grid and spun up to store excess.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Potato Salad posted:

I interned at [Earthmoving Equipment Manufacturer Here]

DO YOU KNOW HOW STUPID YOU HAVE YO BE TO TIP A CRANE

Isn't there a load vs extension vs angle chart that literally tells you exactly what the crane can and cannot do?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Factor of safety for shipping rigs and ground support equipment is like 5x gravity load.

Cranes could be built with strain gages and frangible bolts so that if the crane detects overload for its setting the system blows the bolt and brakes the hoist winch so you can't retract the cable, but you can still take it back to a licensed dealer for an easy repair with proprietary tools.

Of course some jethro will find a way to defeat that.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So when does another ship just ram them?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Memento posted:

That's a whole stack of people's days that just got ruined.

Those tips are actually line replaceable. They could just remove it and trim out the difference.

They shape the vortex behind the plane to increase lift and fuel efficiency by a few percentage points. Not critical to the design.

E: Lmao, southwest can at least. The pitot tubes in the other planes winglet make me think it might need to be taken out of service for repair.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 3, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Zero One posted:

Those are static wicks, not pitots.

Pitots face forward.

Since it's a blended winglet it might be a little harder to replace but the plane isn't totalled.

Appreciate the assist! I don't usually deal with the airframe.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So, when does everyone think it'll collapse? I bet it's less than 60 days, but more than a month.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah the plane's "warranty" or the airplane equivalent is voided if it doesn't fly at least once a year so they periodically fly the stored planes around a bit. They're also concerned about pilots skill levels after being furloughed for a year.

We're also finding out engine storage procedures may not be the best procedures the aerospace industry has come up with.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Desert Bus posted:

That place got me sent to the hospital because apparently using scrap aluminum for shims was good but me cutting my thumb down to the bone on one was unacceptable. I also had three years of AutoCAD experience but they promoted the lady he wanted to gently caress to that position despite zero experience.

Long story short, someone broke in and stole all their computers and they went out of business.

Lmao, at a company I was a machinist for I applied for an engineer position and they hired some managers kid instead.

I now work for a company that sends them work. They're getting less now b/c I'm petty I value a diversified value stream.

E:vvv hell yeah, aluminum toxicity induced schizophrenia pal! Nice.

E2: I ground aluminum mold cooling inserts for those walmart q-tip purse packs. I used an extractor but that's still a lot of environmental Al dust.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 10, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao.

Clarkson: The government says I can't store 46 tons of ammonium nitrate in my shed that currently stores a notoriously self-combusting compound.

Also Clarkson: Why won't insurance cover my exploded farm?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I mean, every government in the world knows about this if it's a radiation leak. Satellites monitor ionizing radiation sources very closely in NK, Iran, China, russia, etc.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

action park's waterslide caught on fire which is extremely on-brand

(technically they reopened as action park and then renamed it a few years ago but whatever)

Nice username.

How did a slide covered in water become that enflamed?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've thought about having a dead mans switch for my foot for my lathe, though I am paranoid about this exact situation. This ended without maiming as far as I can see though.

If that work piece were not so thin or he was a little weaker the lathe would've keel hauled him between the workpiece and lathe-ways a couple dozen times in that clip.

Please note: his arm is crushed from the wrap that we saw. He was fighting for his life to keep his jacket from pulling his head into the chuck.

Install a stomp stop and brake asap.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 17, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

haveblue posted:

Is this one of those things where the problem is that no one considered two things looked confusingly similar and the solution is to switch one of them to a design that won't physically fit in the other?

Exactly. Or you make them exactly the same so you can leverage economy of scale if the parts all serve a similar purpose, in this case, pinning the NLG.

The rub comes when a mechanic drops a part and doesn't know/ care that it happened. Nobody admits to that poo poo.

EG for interchangeable parts: In the engines, the borescope port plugs are painted so they don't accidentally dump their oil on the tarmac or unbolt something on the line that they can't re-torque on the line (FAA Regs prohibit certain maintenance operations unless certified).

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Platystemon posted:

Yes, nearly everyone calls steel spheres “ball bearings”, even if they were never intended to bear anything. They are wrong and I will die on this hill.

I'm pretty sure a bearing pack is made up of races and bearings. The races being the little rings, the bearings being the balls/pins/ cones/etc. Between races.

Mods, please rename me Cones Between Races.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

shame on an IGA posted:

hi I work for the company that invented the drat things and proper terminology is "bearing" for the complete assembly, "ring" "cage" and "rolling element" for the components.

Thanks! It gets confused in different industries. We also have 'graphite bearings' that are actually just cylinder sleeves but w/e.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Platystemon posted:

That’s a bearing. It’s a plain bearing.

If a thing is rotating, it’s not falling to Earth, and it’s not freely floating, it has a bearing of some sort.

I called it a bearing sleeve because it's just a wear interface to stop A286 from eating into Ti. The positional interfaces are elsewhere where they use graphite thrust washers as bearing surfaces.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao the navy should all get free mental counseling forever for being in cramped metal coffins that double as 8 billion dollar nuke targets.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

DandyLion posted:

Also something I couldn't figure out but I always noticed the F-16's sounded way louder even though the F-18's had two of those engines....

The engines are designed to be quiet. Acoustical vibes can destroy an aircraft engine.

The sound is made by the fan throwing air into the compressor (military fighter engines are low by-pass turbojets, not high by-pass turbofans), then shooting it out the rear end as fast as possible. Commercial engines try to move more mass, but slower. Mass flow rates can be comparable.

The flow recombination makes the noise. You're hearing the engine push on the air around the plane so hard it's like shooting a water jet at concrete.

Airframes are designed for 'low observables' so there was probably a change to make the sound less noticeable from the frontal hemisphere. The military doesn't give a poo poo if you hear the plane after it passes. It's already too late at that point.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Bridges usually have a pin joint at one end of a section and a flat plate or dish on the other side to mount the road surface platen on. Sometimes the mounts are even dampened.

Gotta make sure the road isn't over-constrained. Concrete doesn't like bending moments.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I can't fault the driver in that video. if you are about to miss your exit what else are you supposed to do? keep driving until you fall off the edge of the world?

Get off at the next one and backtrack?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

The Management posted:

No no no no no no

I almost drowned when a wave 1/20th the size of that one bent me backwards and nearly broke my spine. A year in physical therapy to stand and walk normally again.

Why didn't you dive under?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If money is no object, sure. But it is, and no factory has the tooling or molds to produce the thousands of parts needed to build a steam engine.

So for all practical purposes, we can't really build a steam engine anymore.

Steam power is deceptively simple and we're much better at making wild poo poo than the we were in the 1860s.

3d printing obviates the need for casting for small runs and high end manufacturing is going closed-loop finally so CNC accuracy is wild.

We absolutely can make them, and I see another train weird showed that too. It's mostly a question of how you produce the steam engine most economically for your market.

A steam train may be more attractive for a sugar plantation since they'll have ample plant matter to feed boilers with as part of processing.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'll give you that, although I was speaking purely of here in north america. 2 engines completed in the last 40 years barely qualifies.

Haha, you made a generalization and got caught and now you're doubling down with this logic?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Spatule posted:

It gets better: mechanical stress (say, some ways of forming a bolt's head, or shredding for recycling), can alter the magnetic properties of SS. Suddenly you get parts half magnetic, half not, or your ferrous fraction gets polluted by what used to be non magnetic stainless steel (if you use a stong magnet, the effect is weak).

Just hit it with a hammer or something. I used to demag parts during machining by hitting them with a machinists peen.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Didn't the machinist object?

Nah, Chris was cool about it.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

They need to figure out a way to hook up a knife to the carriage, and slide it along, cutting them shits up in to pieces.

A 8 tpi feed with a big sharp knife on the toolpost should spiral slice those fuckers nicely.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Mr. Nice! posted:

with super hard and uncuttable rings, you can shatter them pretty easily. Take a standard vice grip, close the grip over the ring, and tighten til the ring is comfortably gripped. Release the vice grips then tighten another 1/4 turn or so. When you close the grips again over the ring it will shatter.

Not inconel, it's fairly ductile for its hardness. I think you're thinking of metal composites like tungsten carbide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Nth Doctor posted:

This is why I feel a little antsy about my titanium wedding ring. I don't wear it when I'm doing workshop type stuff but I do worry about what would need to happen if I ever injure myself on that finger.

What kind of Ti? If it's a metallic alloy and not a carbide it won't shatter easily.

If you wear a ring that isn't clearly gold or silver, expect it to be cut off using a diamond wheel.

E:soak your ring in wd40 in a 250 deg oven for a week and hit it with a hammer. Let me know if it breaks.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 7, 2021