Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Asimo posted:

I liked how the included "safety goggles" did absolutely nothing to stop the laser beam.

Christ this poo poo really needs to be regulated better. The only reason bystanders aren't being constantly blinded is because nobody really understands how trivial it is to get insanely strong lasers.

Platystemon posted:

Wait till you hear how easy it is to get directed kinetic energy weapons that fit in a pocket.

The difference is that it is not commonly known just how easy it is to permanently blind people (or crowds of people) with high powered chinese lasers (which people also dont realize are illegal). It was a big enough problem when they were just being used to blind aircraft pilots, but now some youtuber is going to make a "prank" video of him shining a laser at random people down the street, or groups of people at a concert or show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Failed surgery on a grape?

Mute the audio, but this video demonstrates it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGX289yjew8

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Some good OSHA content here from Popular Mechanics:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a30460577/homemade-gas-station/

"Building a Homemade Gas Station Is a Terrible Idea"

Looks like they were dispensing it with a garden hose.

Do farms still have above-ground gas tanks like this?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

drat this rules, they actually did a really good job with it

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Harveygod posted:

Annual CHP refresher training. Wife made cookies:

These rule!!!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

There's no such thing as combined speed. Unless one car keeps going unimpeded, a head on collision with both cars going 40mph is the same as hitting a wall at 40mph.

Sure i guess, if walls flew at you at 40MPH

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BMan posted:

This is the case for cars of the same size of course, if you ram a semi then it pretty much is a wall coming at you at 40mph

This is obviously impossible!!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Quoting from the coronavirus thread- I've never heard of radioactive MREs before:

That's because its fake you pillock

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Squalid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7TwBUxxIC0

bad news about your mother's negative ion dildo

turns out its full of powdered thorium kept in place by a poorly fitted plug

You can still buy Antistatic brushes with Polonium 210 inside, and apparently they work great

https://amstat.com/products/anti-static-brush-with-ionizing-cartridge-1.html

https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/staticeliminator.htm

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Of course this is audiophile bullshit.

Mostly used for film, but yes that too.

I can't find it now, but at one point there was a radioactive ionizer sold for use *inside* record players--I think it was an encapsulated radioactive source that clipped onto some part of the arm. It probably also worked, but only for a year or two and so was probably never worthwhile.

An even dumber idea was radioactive spark plugs (which again, definitely worked, but only for the first year and afterwards were toxic waste):

https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/sparkplugs.htm

A slightly more interesting application was with neon lamps. One weird (and mostly forgotten) aspect of neon tubes is that some of them don't work very well in pitch dark, and can fail to light up at the rated voltage, or do so unreliably. One solution is to add a small amount of Krypton 85 to the gas mixture, increasing the ambient ionization in the tube (another solution IIRC was to include a tiny incandescent lamp inside electronics that relied on neon tubes or voltage regulator tubes). This allows them to be breakdown reliably at the specified voltage

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 19, 2020

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Wrong. Lithium batteries are happiest at somewhere between 50% and 90% of full charge. Fully discharging the battery and then leaving it for several months is a good way to cause damage because the natural self-discharge may bring the cell below its normal cutoff point. If you plan to leave the device unattended for several months, charge it up first.

After talking to multiple cell manufacturers, we settled on ~50% for storage I think. Storing it slightly lower than that might reduce degradation, but it also decreases the amount of time you can safely leave it in storage. When you then need to account for quiescent current from whatever the battery is connected to, along with increased self-discharge due to being potentially stored in hot warehouse or a very hot car (for instance), you can increase that to 60-80%.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That's going to be defined by the phone's firmware and/or the charge controller. Depends on the battery chemistry, but a lithium cell might have a maximum voltage before damage of 4.20v and a minimum value of 2.90v. Those voltages get set as 100% and 0% by whoever is making the decision. You could squeeze out a little more capacity by setting 0% as 2.85v, but going too low will cause the battery to degrade faster, and very low will cause damage. To maintain a longer life you set your endpoints as say 3.0v and 4.1v.

*once again it is even more complex than this, because once the battery's voltage endpoints have been defined the phone will characterize how many milliamp-hours the battery can produce by measuring the current over time (coulomb counting, it's called) and then use that figure to report its charge state. but the voltage thing is close enough

You also need to decrease the charge termination voltage when you have series connected cells (such as in a laptop) and mismatches between the cells mean you can end up overcharging some (even if they're "balanced", impedance mismatches still result in voltage differences when charging voltage is applied). This might be less of an issue with higher-grade S-ranked cells (I lol'd when I realized the japanese companies actually grade their cells from S to A to B to C and so on), but I never bought those.

Aside from the charging voltage thresholds set by the battery (for smart batteries) or charger, the device itself can also lie to you about it's charge state. Standard Li-Ion cells will probably blow up if you tried to trickle charge them by repeatedly topping off a battery as it slowly discharges (from self discharge or quiescent current from whatever circuitry its connected to). It's common for a battery that is fully charged to remain "fully charged" until it discharges to say 95%, at which point the charger will kick back in. Until this happens, though, some devices can and will lie to you about whether or not the device is charging and/or fully charged.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Zernach posted:

Can't you do that same thing with a 9V battery much easier (and safer)?

Yeah, steel wool + a 9V battery is an excellent all-weather firestarter

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

How about where you watch the video and see the car intentionally driving into oncoming traffic?

It's almost like people start driving recklessly and endangering others when they're involved in a high speed chase?? Too bad the cops are compelled by ancient oath to keep up the chase, no matter how many bystanders might get injured or killed in the process.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
gloves might kinda be necessary when handling raw lumber all day

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jabor posted:

Another interesting radiation and wood related thing: trees in the Chernobyl exclusion zone don't rot - at least, not as much as trees everywhere else. They just die, and stay standing there dead, and the leaves pile up deeper and deeper on the ground.

Probably because all the stuff that normally eats dead wood got wiped out, but it's interesting to look at the photos of dead yet intact trees and realise that that's probably what everywhere looked like in the Carboniferous.

This sounds entirely fake lmao

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The first author is an anti-nuclear hack whose findings are consistently unreproducible, and the last author has been a pariah ever since he was ruled to have fabricated data to prove some bunk evolutionary biology hypothesis. Googling him finds this article from 2006 where the only person to defend him is the first author.

So yeah, this is 100% bullshit lmao

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

people who oppose the industry can't be trusted. only people who work for the industry know what's best.

ah yes, Big Nuclear, that industry with so much power that nuclear plants are springing up left and right every day

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

it's an interesting thing to consider. radiation, and in particular a chronic low level of radiation, doesn't have the same effect on every creature.

high-level radiation of course kills pretty much everything very effectively through brute force.

continuous exposure to low-level radiation is generally bad for humans because many years later we get cancer and die. but in the short term it's often unnoticeable.

the same amount of radiation that gives a human cancer in twenty years means essentially nothing to animals that aren't going to live that long in the wild anyway. a mouse doesn't have to worry about maybe developing cancer even two years from now; if it survives without being eaten for three months it can have a litter of babies and that's all that matters for population dynamics. this is part of why the chernobyl exclusion zone has such incredible biodiversity.

of course, part of the reason that low-level radiation doesn't hurt humans in the short term is because it actually does, but our bodies are good at killing mutant cells and repairing damage. that doesn't apply to anywhere near the same level when you're a single-celled organism. consider that man who got stuck in a food irradiator in russia and survived for over a year after a dose of radiation that destroys all microorganisms in seconds.

it's certainly plausible that the low-level radiation in the area is having the effect of constantly suppressing the growth of decomposer organisms, while not doing much at all to mice and birds and deer, and posing a long-term but not very acute threat to humans who wander in.

e: well, looks like while I was typing that post a paper was posted and then immediately debunked. lol. I wonder what the actual data says

One thing to consider is that low level radiation* doesn't actually seem to be harmful to people---it seems like our bodies deal with it just fine. Basically anywhere there is a lot of granite has significantly elevated background radiation, but no more cancer than average. This is important because it basically disproves the "linear threshold model" for radiation, which is used to claim that cancers caused by radiation have a linear response to dose and that there is no threshold below which radiation causes no cancer. Despite lots of evidence showing that this model is bullshit, it still gets used as the conservative estimate for radiation induced cancers for entirely political reasons, and is much loved by anti nuclear advocates. The usage of this model following Chernobyl caused a ton of psycological and economic damage from people in western europe overreacting and freaking out despite not being at risk.

I'd wager that an entire generation of anti-nuclear fanatics was born from the pscyological trauma caused by the linear no threshold model lmao.

*depending on your definition of low level

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I would execute an emergency braking maneuver at highway speed that launches the antifa predator from my Rig, before calmly unloading all six rounds from my customized Chiappa Rhino into dirtbag. I would then perform a u-turn on the freeway, inadvertently causing a Tesla’s Autopilot to mistake my trailer for the sky and instantly decapitate its driver as it collides at 70 mph.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nothing wrong with a DIY hammer drill

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

I think this has been posted before, but I didn’t see until now that it changed direction because of the two guys at the bottom pushing on it lmao

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Bobulus posted:

He did that comprehensive teardown on the Juicero, right? I recall that video being very fascinating. It's a shame.

It was an awful video though, he didn't know wtf he was talking about lmao

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Alkydere posted:

The second one is great because of him watching a video of someone else screwing with white phosphorous with an expression of utter horror.

Yes, just SMEAR the highly flammable and toxic material between your fingers as it smokes.

I'm pretty sure I got this as a magic trick kit as a kid. I think it came as a small tube of brownish oily liquid you rubbed between your fingers?

edit: nvm it was this stuff, which is wax, rosin, oil and latex:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Supply-House-Mystic-Smoke/dp/B008Z25XFW

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 14, 2020

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

badass

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Not to mention the F-35 has a much better radar and engines that make about as much dry thrust as an F-16 makes at full afterburner.

I'd also like to point out that for as maintenance intensive as the Radar Absorbant Material coating is to keep in decent shape, its much better than other stealth planes. The B-2 is notably worse and even the practically prehistoric SR-71 had an issue where if you used chrome tools on it the cadmium would contaminate the titanium skin and it would start falling apart.

Doesn't matter lmao, the F-35 is one and a half times the weight of the F-16 and generates more drag because it's a giant idiot plane designed for no one

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Flannelette posted:

"Would have to be deliberately planned" is a good summary of this thread.
Did gamma exposure produce any useful results?

Lots of them. "Atomic Gardening" is just one form of cultivating induced mutations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_breeding

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Wouldn't this actually be not too horrible, if the trailer was empty?

This is absolutely A Thing. This is a container hauler made for this purpose. I assume it's generally used for moving *empty* containers, which it probably does more cheaply than a semi, especially over short distances. I can't tell whether or not that container is really too long for the trailer, since google images brings up results showing this exact setup. But maybe it depends on weight and whether there are external indicator lights attached to the back, idk

At first I just thought this video looked weird bc the back wheel wasn't spinning, before I remembered that's just an optical illusion lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

The worst part is that since Ancient Greek times we've known that asbestos was bad for people. Widespread research in the 1930s linked it with cancer. James Hardy spent decades fighting in the courts until everyone they sentenced to death with mesothelioma had either died or given up.

Wikipedia posted:

The term asbestos is traceable to Roman naturalist Pliny the Elder's manuscript Natural History and his use of the term asbestinon, meaning "unquenchable".[7][8][12] While Pliny or his nephew Pliny the Younger is popularly credited with recognising the detrimental effects of asbestos on human beings,[14] examination of the primary sources reveals no support for either claim.[15]

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

Kratzke, P & Kratzke, RA (2018) Asbestos-Related Disease Journal of Radiology Nursing, Volume 37, Issue 1, March 2018, Pages 21-26

huh!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Forensic Architecture just put together a video reconstruction of the Beirut Port Explosion, which demonstrates how you accidentally build a giant bomb in the middle of a major city by ignoring safety regulations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s54_MF2XPk

Do you have a video demonstrating how you accidentally photoshop photos of "barrel bombs" to give pretext for attacking Syria? Or is that still in progress?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The recovery pics of the thumb-fleshbag are somehow as gruesome as the injury pics, yeesh

I absolutely cannot figure out what was grafted there

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Yeah, this doesn’t seem right at all.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wrr posted:

So I'm an ATCALS tech, working on ILS, TACAN, DME, radios, voice switches, the works, y'know? Clearing out the ten million cables and cords we have laying around trying to find out what is still usable and what can be tossed and I came across some real upsetting home-brew stuff.

All of those seem fine depending on the context, I've probably have technicians make me those exact cables before lol. But I'm usually dealing with hardware prototypes, or a system test bench (hardware that has been torn apart and reworked so that all of the printed circuit assemblies inside can be laid out in a fixture so that you can probe and debug it while it's running). The cables that have quick connect on AC wires is especially familiar, since I've seen internal power supplies that could connect to.

Really, the only one that stands out is the terminal block--a shielded terminal block is preferred for AC.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Azhais posted:

I'm from Minnesota and I can't remember the last time I used more than a thin blanket. Setting an actual fire under my bed would be miserably hot

Your crappy state gets more in federal home heating subsidies per person than most people in other states spend in total so you can use a thin loving blanket.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Thread overlap crosspost:

idgi, are you amazed that companies make machines to slice bread in an industrialized fashion?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm amazed that a company managed to make a bread slicing machine that looks that wildly dangerous while still being clearly slower than just using a knife.

lmao are you serious? It's a chute-fed bread slicer that will probably slice as fast as you can gravity feed it lol. A guy was manually feeding it to demonstrate it (although it's a bad demo because the thing wasn't adjusted right for that size bun). It wasn't particuarly dangerous to nudge a piece of bread into it, several inches from the blade (way safer than a band saw lol), as bread is not an entrapment hazard lmao

but nah you're right, let's replace the production lines used to make all of the bread we buy (directly or indirectly) with a few guys with knives that dont cut as cleanly or as smoothly lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

What if there was a medium between a few guys with knives and a machine that seems designed to tear hands off?

You mean like that exact machine, which is designed to be chute fed and not have hands anywhere near it?

Memento posted:

You know no one's hands ever get anywhere near the production lines, right?

But feel free to keep comparing apples to oranges.

?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
im genuinely convinced you lack the capacity for abstract thought and possibly imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

You were talking about "the productions lines that make all of the bread we buy".

They don't ever have hands anywhere near them. Dough is kneaded and baked, and the loaves are turned out of their pans, sliced, wrapped and packed into trays without a single hand involved in the process.

My original issue was with the bagel decapitator, that started this whole discussion.

As as aside: this is true for commercial brands, but isn't true for local bakeries (which have non-production line versions of loaf slicers), grocery store bakeries (which mostly bake frozen parbaked loaves, but still slice them) and smaller local bread suppliers (the people who do daily deliveries to restaurants). Those processes have more human involvement, because they can't setup dedicated lines for each item, and need more flexibility.

Doesn't change the fact that the video in quesiton was a demonstration of how a machine worked when it was hand fed a bun instead of gravity feeding it lol