Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Back where I used to live, if you left a fallen tree next to or across a road, come back an hour later and the whole thing would be missing. Lots of homeowners with wood stoves and chainsaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Decapitation is a separate category from 'injury not compatible with life'. Is this because for Category F you have to check if they're breathing and that's difficult if you can't find their head?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

This is one of the sprinklers in the hotel room I'm staying at. Whatever it means, I feel warned.

Flared base is good, but i'm a little bit concerned about the wings.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Jawoyn people of northern australia considered a certain region 'sickness country', not fit for habitation. Then white men came by and built a bloody huge mine there because it was full of uranium.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blacknose posted:

Therac-25 is the case study in why you don't move hardware interlocks to software, why you need robust QA on critical systems and why UI design is really, really important. That an 'operator error' caused the deaths is exactly the issue - the system should not have allowed an operator error.

Or rather operator error should always result in the least harmful outcome. You can't eliminate error because you can't read the operator's mind, but you can make sure that screwing up results in lost time rather than irradiated children.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

chrisgt posted:

My original point is that the backend should ultimately sanitize stupid inputs and not break in a dangerous way. Even if a lovely UI allows someone to enter stupid data, enter it in a bad order, lean up against something and accidentally do whatever, the back end should be robust enough to not screw up.

This is true. Buuuut...
Just as you as the backend developer shouldn't trust the operator to know what they're doing, the operator shouldn't assume that the backend will catch any mistakes they make and the UI designer should assume that both of you are idiots. Each person involved should treat it like they and they alone are the only person standing in the way of disaster. This minimises (not eliminates, reduces) the risk of the swiss cheese holes lining up and disaster happening.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have an innovative plan to solve both the smoke extraction and escalator problem simultaneously, using really really big fans. Construction begins next week.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

According to the article, the man claims to have been building a 'quantum physics generator' and suffered radio frequency burns. So, he hooked some random HF electronics together and microwaved himself.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought you had to graft peoples own skin onto themselves. Is it possible to transplant it from other people?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

In many cases, skin isn't required to heal the burn, it's just required to heal it quickly and not make it look awful. Plus, you can allograft many times if you have the cadaver skin to do it while the good areas spread and heal. Also, a 4x8 inch patch of skin graft is meshed using what I've heard affectionately called the "pasta cutter from Hell (not NWS link but be careful)", to spread over an area 4-5x as large.

If the skin isn't meshed and instead used straight-up, it's called a "sheet graft" and is generally only done for the face, hands, and genitals, as un-meshed skin effectively only covers 1/5th the area it would otherwise. I've seen cheek skin get used to rebuild eyelids.

How much skin can you get from one corpse? It seems like each person has a lot if you peel them completely, but i'm not sure if it's all suitable or if you can only use certain areas.

Edit: i assume the best stuff comes from organ donors, who are only just dead or technically-still-alive (but brain dead)?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

They would have to make Willow trees illegal if they did that.

Aspirin is several steps removed / improved from actual willow bark extract. The natural compound has even more side effects.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

buying hundreds dried poppy pods from the florist and boiling them to drink that poo poo. I'm not shooting up tho.

These are actual opium poppies, so they're a lot stronger. People do die from it when they don't know what they're doing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Its pretty standard even for confined space rescue, that if you're the look out and someone in there is in distress, you're not to go in there, in spite of your (probable) instinct to rush in and help. You'll probably end up dead too.

poo poo lagoons aren't confined spaces. There's just so much poison gas that it will kill you anyway.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

^ that's why before you start cutting you plan out your escape route.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Squalid posted:

lol

how do koalas deal with wildfires where people aren't around? Obviously they've been able to survive with fire for millions of years, why are they struggling now?

Humans.

We've cleared a lot of koala habitat, and the areas that remain don't get burned often enough so when the fires do go through they're devastating. Combine with climate change for a trifecta.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

is that steel beam fuckin' bowed?? surely this is an illusion just the way the pic was taken

Pretty sure that's wood.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

From the tone of the questions I get the impression that 'completely destroyed' is considered a feature rather than a bug.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

how exactly do you recover from missing all the flesh on the top of your skull circa the 1700s

I guess if its all missing then theres nothing to get gangrene. Just clean bone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I know opiates suppress breathing. Can you survive if you breathe manually for the entire duration?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Re hands, one thing that bugs me is that when people in movies/games need blood for a thing they always cut their hand. That's a terrible place! It's constantly flexing and will take forever to heal. Use the back of the forearm instead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

:rolleyes: look at this stemlord trying to fix blood magic

Look I'm just saying this cult has terrible OSHA practices. Do you know we never sterilise these sacrificial knives?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Quoting from the coronavirus thread- I've never heard of radioactive MREs before:

Don't you want a hot meal?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Are they filled with flogiston?

It's the same magic smoke used in other electronics, just earlier in the fire -> smoke progression.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hope he knows all the secrets of that heroquest. Gonna be rough doing it without the clan's magic behind him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I’ll just pretend this is an arcade racing game and that’s a repeating texture. :stonk:

What are you talking about? The track has lovely soft crash barriers, probably absorb energy really well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

At my dad's old work they used to just use a drill press. It'd be impossible to spin the platters up without them exploding, so that was considered destroyed enough.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Apparently iphones are allergic to helium.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

A kid's life got saved by a trucker who was already going below the speed limit and then had lightning-fast reactions, I'm not entirely sure why we're making GBS threads on them so hard in here?

I thought we were making GBS threads on the bus driver?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Memento posted:

You can tell from the start, the rocks are the wrong scale.

Also theres no driver.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

big slam on transmen out of nowhere but okay?

I had assumed trans men tended to have big dicks? No reason for the surgeon to skimp.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^ Also this.

I'm still not sure I'm reading it right. Mainly because it doesn't seem even slightly safe to me.

Something like that is now standard in all firearms.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Serephina posted:

I don't know much about guns, but aren't safeties supposed to prevent discharge? That one doesn't.

Without a system like that a gun will go off if it is cocked and receives a sudden impact, such as being dropped. This system prevents discharge if the trigger isn't actually being pulled.
It doesn't prevent discharge if the trigger is being pulled but by accident.

You've also got grip/trigger safeties which prevent discharge if the gun isn't being held in a hand, so for example if the trigger gets hung up on a branch it won't fire.

Then there are manual safeties which allow you to disable the gun with a switch, until you set it to 'fire' again.

Finally there's biometric safeties which prevent discharge if it isn't being held by the right person.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the great thing about biometric safeties is they're low cost and really reliable, i'm surprised theey're not more widespread. we should probably pass some legislation mandating their use on all guns, including historical relics.

The US gun lobby hates them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you still use the chopping board after that? It looks like a neat decoration.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Ain't that poo poo poison?

Industrial systems use ammonia which is highly toxic, but as a result they have lots of controls and monitoring. Consumer grade refrigeration systems use hydrocarbons that give inferior performance but aren't dangerous unless they manage to actually asphyxiate you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I like the way the robots are wearing raincoats.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've done that. It's just sap.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Guys, it's only your food that you're supposed to hang up while camping so that bears don't get into it. This is going way overboard.

People are made out of meat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there not a huge loving warning light on the front of every cabinet that shows its status?

(I was going to say the light draws from the cabinet and only turns off when the cabinet does, but that's not fail-safe. You need the light to turn on when the cabinet turns off.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Rider reboot looking low-budget.