Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Searching this led me to images of business casual guys in cybersoldier helmets

Hello there.
Rear Admiral Kenobi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Wait till you hear how easy it is to directed kinetic energy weapons that fit in a pocket.

A goode poste

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

NoWake posted:

I'm genuinely impressed with the moto rider's dismount, with the rear foot stepping off first. If you try it the opposite way, your lead foot quickly becomes your back foot & you end up tripping over your own leg.

Ditto, it was like the slowmo Jesus bowling pitch scene in the Big Lebowski where he does the perfect rearleg crossover to maintain balance and form. Industrial ballet.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Now there's a question: what happens if you try to cool a reactor with piss?

Fun fact, this was tried on a very small scale in 1958 by a Soviet physicist. It glows an eerily beautiful green due to what we now know as Cherenkov urination.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

'Negligently exposed the child to the abyss' is a badass turn of phrase, you gotta admit

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

frodnonnag posted:

Be poo poo, get poo poo?

No, I'm sure you've heard the old saying, "If you drive by and large like a demented gently caress, you'll get hit by a front-discharge cement truck"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

What in the gently caress... I've never seen anything like this in my life. I thought all cement trucks were rear discharge???

They used to be, but FD trucks are the new(er) poo poo. They're a bit more expensive but can get into place faster since you can just drive directly up to the dump location without guidance and they have chutes that can be positioned by the driver via hydraulic controls. This makes it more efficient in both loads-per-day gained and by elimination of the need for a 'chute man' (since the driver can do the whole job via line-of-sight).

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Weird, I never really thought about it since I've only lived in places with both styles, and I thought it was the same everywhere but after some snooping around it looks like that's totally not the case. Some cursory research suggests that the differences by region could have to do with A.)piecemeal state-based regulations for weight classes/restrictions for bridges and roads (frontal trucks can carry an extra couple yards and require another axle), B.)union influence since frontal trucks would eliminate the need for a whole lot of crew, or C.) a combination of the two. Huh.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

GotLag posted:

Oh so they're a crime against man as well as nature?

It increases my overall loads-per-day, which is hard to pass up

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

monolithburger posted:

Since I upped my loads-per-day I no longer need your dad to be my chute man when I dump my cement into your mum.

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist)

You're the second person in a row to steal my extremely nuanced and mature 'loads-per-day' joke, so being officially the most awkward and least original to do so should be penance enough

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

i always wanted to start a twitter account about stairs in the vein of toilets with threatening auras but i couldn't come up with a good name.

Thousand-Yard Stairs
A Stairwell to Arms
Fright or Flight

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 23, 2019

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Supradog posted:

Is there a name for this "item"? I feel it should have a name?

FUBAugeR

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

What the gently caress even is that job?

He's on a trawler, and is working the port where the line is reeled in to remove hooks, kill the fish, and sort for processing. (I'm sure there's an official name for the role but I have no idea.)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

After fighting to stifle laughter I would fire that person on the spot.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

There's no thread I know of that highlights how .mp4s are unscalable awkward table-breaking object-focus-stealing poo poo more than this one. [/vent]

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 7, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Memento posted:

Direct link for the lazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD97nKb-AbE

I don't know poo poo about dick, but that seems like a really big plane to be landing on that runway.

Luckily it started landing at an angle before the runway actually began to get things rolling along ahead of schedule! Efficient blokes in the cockpit, for sure.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Because the bonding material never solidifies,

Dude have you never had to pry out the shard of easy cheese that crystallizes into the weird crenellated tip like a wish-I-hadn't-clipped-my-thumbnails-grade booger

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I'm showing this to my cat so that she learns why I yell angry human sounds at her EVERY GODDAMN TIME I WALK DOWN THE STAIRS WITH LAUNDRY

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Nah, I'd say he's only one layer. A very thin thin thin layer...

He is undeniably a carpaccio.

\/\/\/ I was trying to stick to the italian theme but you've gotta be way more correct texture-wise, yeah.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 24, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

And what have we learned...?

I'm assuming the beard got tangled and then cut off with scissors, thankfully; that much hair won't come off at once without a chunk of skin on one end. I was working next to someone who got a small bundle of hair caught in a bench grinder and it yoinked a silver dollar-sized piece of scalp off before he even knew what happened.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 29, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

minato posted:

That's not how you do the Electric Slide

or maybe... it IS.

If it was the real deal you wouldn't be able to see it.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

OMG I see it-- the 'wall' to the right is the steel panel he's originally standing on; it flips up and moves left, with its ground pivot point near where he is. There's a huge excavator off-camera to the right (you can see the bucket moving center left in the beginning). The secondary pillar collapse thing (middle front, orange) is the back of the excavator's body having fallen on its left side, and the left tread is visible.

E: Wait, the excavator fell from a higher level, maybe? This is annoying.

E2: Ground lifts first, though. I'm going to guess a gas main explosion or something that lifted the whole thing up and moved the plates, with the excavator falling back down a split second later.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 4, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

You know that winter's consequential
Ice encased my differential
Pull out your phone and :justpost: fuckin' truck fails

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 1, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Aft and to port. Aft... and to port.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

They're pressure cookers and were likely cobbled together in the same place at the same time

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm sensitive to smells. Oregon is horrible because they literally spray the fertilizer on the fields, so driving around in springtime means recirculating the air or you risk driving into an invisible cloud of cholera poo poo stank.

The worst was a shrimp processing plant on the coast. I took two steps inside, and when I regained consciousness, I was sitting on the curb outside with my head between my knees. Still have no idea how I got there, because my family didn't notice and were halfway thru the plant tour before they realized I wasn't there anymore. It smelled like the sea had vomited a pile of rotted death into a building.

I forgot a lunch thermos full of shrimp curry chowder in an easy-to-overlook corner of my detached garage once. Three weeks later I walked in to an ungodly stench and was overcome with waves of nausea, which was exacerbated by a drip falling on my collar. The concoction had fermented and built up enough pressure to blow the screwed-on lid and cup off the thermos into the rafters and left a drizzling fallout of the mixture on an unsuspecting me and I promptly ran to the yard and puked myself inside out. Rotted shellfish (mixed with dairy, to be fair) is like nothing else in the world.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

I want a robotrain

They're a pain, and that's the truth.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

That’s the low grease light.

This is a good joke.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 2, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

shovelbum posted:

these videos always make me realize how much of our OSHA is only necessary bc americans are obese and clumsy and in normal countries people can just basically do whatever bc they dont weigh twice or three times what they are supposed to

People may drag you for the half of this that's a dreadful take, so for variety I'm gonna agree with you on the half that's mostly correct. I know I'd feel better if I had a job in the fresh tropical air that left me looking like I'm made of knotted steel cable.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BMan posted:

It's true, anime has taught me that working out makes you invincible

JoJo's Biz: Arbor Venture

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

(...)
So if the lovely cinderblock/expanding foam wall has gaps between the building and the start of the wall, what is the point exactly?

The wall is for protecting the glass and limiting visibility while providing the ability to use the area as an entrance, exit, staging area, barricaded shelter, and bottleneck if needed. The foam insulation is there in case there's a draft.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I always figured Samir was an amateur guy who rented the car from a weekend warrior hobbyist track and the caller came along with the package or something, it definitely seems like they're not buds and the caller is very concerned with wrecking the car

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Moo the cow posted:

It was a 40min video, edited down to 3 mins to make the professional co-driver look bad.

The guy who did the editing was a business rival to the co-driver.

The co-driver sued and the editor went to jail.

The whole thing was just weird.

That rules, good to know! Thanks :)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

If someone I didn't know jumped on my truck and started punching the windshield I would try to shake him off in much the same fashion. I'm defending myself from the crazy person who started it all. I would try to avoid running over him if I shook him off but I am not going to just sit around while he tries to enter the cab, I have no idea what he's capable of. I would be calling 911 at the same time of course and maybe he would stop when the cops show up.

The driver was in a situation where any action other than stopping immediately puts another human in immediate mortal risk, and he was repeatedly trying to make that WORSE by accelerating to highway speeds and trying to shake off a half-naked weirdo onto a busy highway or, just as likely, under his own wheels. If the driver feels like he's in danger from the tiny terrified half-naked filipino man on the hood of his huge locked metal box, he's a tremendous pussy. gently caress that driver.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

senrath posted:

According to news reports, the man on the windshield had a "metal object" and managed to do significant damage to the windshield before police intervened.

The driver had a pretty big metal object, too, and it about wrecked a lot more than the other guy's windshield. If he was truly scared imagine how much faster the cops could have reached a crime scene that was stationary

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

senrath posted:

It's almost like panicking people don't behave rationally, or something!

Hello 911, a poopy diaper baby man is yelling at my tank and I'm frightened to the point of inculpability

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

waffleman posted:

So... I've driven with an angry dude on the hood of my car about 10 years ago.

For context a car full of guys get mad in traffic cause they're poo poo faced and just left the bar. They spend several lights trying to block me in with their car with a few getting out to fight. They're hitting windows etc. Each time I'm able to get past somehow. Finally at yet another light they all get out, driver gets on the hood of my car while his friends beat on the windows, leaving their car with no one in it behind me.

Light turns, I DRIVE. The driver clings to the hood.

When you find yourself with someone on the hood of your car your first instinct will be to swerve to shake him off. I realized almost immediately that him falling off was the worst thing that could happen cause he'd probably get run over and die or be seriously injured. Instead I drove real straight and not overly fast about a half a mile over a bridge watching this guy watch his friends and his car fade into the distance. We get to a stop sign, I stop, he gets off, looks around finding himself alone, punches my rear quarter panel, tells me I'm crazy and walks off to go find his friends/car. I drive away.

Lotta people in this thread with absolutely no idea how terrifying it is to have someone trying to beat their way through your window.

Goons gonna goon but when someone is trying to physically hurt you your first thought isn't "I fear for their safety" or "No big deal, my windshield will not break". It's "I fear for MY safety and why is this dude on the hood of my car, how can I make him stop?".

So under attack and stress you, a regular civilian dude(?), were able to keep your head clear enough to get the guy off your car without injury or further incident. If you were a professional driver, 7' off the ground, in a huge vehicle, in broad daylight, and it was one dude instead of a mob of drunks, would you haver been more or less likely to panic? Or was that truck driver just an rear end in a top hat actively trying to get a guy (out of his loving mind though he was) killed? I dunno man, this derail is getting dumb, sorry

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I keep seeing this tweet. I'd assume the warehouse full of ammonium nitrate would have a couple more windows broken out after the explosion if it was actually the same building

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

PirateDentist posted:

Since there is literally no more warehouse, I'd assume this was from the rooftop video before the first explosion when it was just on fire.

You're absolutely right and I mixed up clips in my head, oops!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yeah this is also like the second person who's posted something like this. I really don't understand the thought process behind "what, it CAN'T be a picture of the warehouse, only a couple windows are broken!"

If you look at any of the aftermath shots, you would realize that everything in that picture, except for the people hopefully, is now reduced to a fine mist, nay, film, of atoms, and perhaps, just perhaps, these pictures were taken by someone before the events of today and reposted when said someone realized that it was a picture of the same warehouse that blew up.

...or perhaps, just perhaps, it's a still from a video three seconds before the explosion but gently caress idiots like me, right? After seeing twenty different angles and scores more photos of the event I thoroughly apologize for temporally misplacing a still image of a smoking warehouse. Don't be a snarky gently caress.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

edit: I am still trying to upload all my Yuma Proving Ground pictures to imgur but it will only do a few at a time and there are dozens. Here's a teaser though, featuring my grandfather in the white shirt.

I wish I had a job where I could look that casually cool and wrench on sciencey weapons poo poo. Your grandpa in his cool glasses and engineer regalia owns more than enough to bypass the obligatory 'your mom's dildo' joke