Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

my best friend in high school was the head of theater tech. whenever the stage lights needed to be adjusted, they'd send me up a 20' wooden ladder (placed along the wooden seats) to poke at them with a broom handle.

several people would hold the ladder, since it was missing one of four key bolts

it was a different time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Imagined posted:

He's not a class traitor. He was never a worker to begin with. He's a loving opera singer with a communications degree who got into acting via modeling gigs on loving QVC and poo poo and has been cosplaying as a blue collar joe. He's Larry the Cable Guy but worse. He's about as blue collar as Don Jr wearing a trucker hat.

pre-fame, he was the announcer for a series of zoo videos for babies. I know I've seen him present some lovely thing in a tux, as well.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ika posted:

Guy at work has one about that tall that he can raise/lower with a lever while riding, so its a normal but longer bike when stopped, but once he gets going he raises it up and it is extra tall.

can you please tell me more about this

it sounds amazing

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Yeah as said above, he could be using a bull float for that job but it's much funnier to superman it.

"bull float" is one of my favorite tool names

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

:unsmith:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ok but what is this now though

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Wasabi the J posted:

Just don't ever read etymologies then if this upsets you.

language changes constantly. for example, a real rear end in a top hat from some earlier time would tell me that no, it changes continually. but now either one is fine.

the tl;dr is that literally doesn't literally mean "literally"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Platystemon posted:

This one has bolt‐ons: :nws: lewd statuary

:nws:nws for nipples:nws:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Years and years ago I was getting life guard certified at a boy scout camp. The instructor lost his glasses in about 15ft of muddy lake water with 0 visibility.

I would swim to the bottom, let my breath out, then lay down and make a mud angel on the lake floor. Then I'd scoot my rear end over and repeat until I had to come up for air. On the second trip my leg brushed against the glasses and was able to retrieve them.

I've also found an ancient outboard somebody lost will rooting around by a dock. Had to swim down and attach a rope to haul it up.

my brother dropped a brand-new pair of Oakleys into a marsh at high tide. it was only about 6' of water, so I just went hand-over-hand along the side dock until I got to where I could dive for them.

bonus: I was not shredded by the various oysters

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

:lol:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
when I was 11 or so, my parents bought a Dodge van. it'd been used by the previous owners to make pilgrimages to Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker's Heritage USA Christian amusement park, so they'd stenciled a dove into each door.

except for the driver's seat, there were no seatbelts, and the back bench (which folded into a bed, futon style) wasn't even bolted to the floor. (so on our first trip in it, my brothers and I laughed uproariously when it tipped over at every stop, with us in it.) (it was a different era, but the first thing Dad did was put in seatbelts and, uh, bolts.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I always enjoy the UP (Michigan) left turn video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YeqG0CqzHq4

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ah, yes, the snow crab

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zarin posted:

I used to work at an aluminum foundry (nothing like the scale of this one) and apparently they had to evacuate a section of the building for about a day when someone accidentally dumped a furnace full of aluminum on the floor because the concrete underneath kept popping for hours, sending bits of hot metal and concrete everywhere.

That was from before I worked there, though. Craziest thing I ever saw was someone dipping an apparently still-wet ladle into the crucible. Luckily nobody was injured, but another guy and myself ended up having to help clean it up. I think my buddy spent over an hour on a scissor lift, scraping the frozen aluminum gobbets off the overhead crane rails.

I had an acquaintance who worked at Games Workshop US. he said that the pewter crucible (?) was large and in the center of an area where a lot of people worked. they got bored one day and mathematically calculated that winging a Coke into the vat would be enough to kill everybody in the room.

I'd heard separately that it wasn't the most fun place to work.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

shame on an IGA posted:

It's 100% improper placement, of their body, under a vehicle that was on a jack instead of stands.

non-OSHA compliant platinum thievery

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The Heat-Tempered Clavier

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Uthor posted:

Is it a sex thing? It's a sex thing.

there's an episode of Dicktown that's kinda like that

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
really didn't appreciate the company's canned response

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

gamers rise up

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this was in no way my fault but I did once get a splash of frying oil directly into my open eye while making falafel

and more OSHAly, multiple times a splash of ash glaze into my open eye. (mmm, lye.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Proteus Jones posted:

I turned on my audio, but the chain kept accelerating. Maybe my drivers are out of date.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I love hearing trains at night in the distance. When I went to college, though, the campus was bisected by a train line and they'd blow the horn the entire time they crossed campus even in the middle of the night, which wasn't as nice, especially my second year when my room directly faced the train tracks.

a buddy went to grad school at the University of Wisconsin Madison and I distinctly remember waking up thinking a train was going to eat me

I think he said the city kept fining the conductor who did it, but that just made him do it more

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
turlet talk: a friend's 10-year-old kid only now realized that the ears ringing thing isn't a cartoon trope but something that happens irl.

she accidentally dropped the plastic bowl lid while closing it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

xtal posted:

Planck is still mad over this

constantly

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

at the end of freshman year, some friends noticed that the dumpsters had a lot of furniture in them. they waited until most of the campus had cleared out, then set up 4 or 5 spotters and a very clear system of communication to keep anybody from getting killed. or arrested.

then they took a series of pieces of furniture, up to the size of a small couch, and dropped them off the 3rd-floor dorm balcony. the furniture explosions were fun, nobody got hurt, and they picked up all the pieces.

a few years after we all graduated, some kids were having a spitting contest off the same balcony and one guy managed to fall off during that.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

DelphiAegis posted:

:biglips: : JESUS WILL HEAL ME!
:stonk: : Your foot is literally shoving its own bones out because your flesh is necrotic.
:biglips: : JESUS WILL LET ME KEEP MY FOOT!
:stonk: : It's black. Jesus definitely does not want you to have a foot anymore.

a guy I know about got the type ii and refused to do anything about it. while he was mucking around in the sump he used to irrigate and water his garden, he got some sort of horrible infection in a diabetic sore. the doctors told him they'd need to take the toe, and he told them to gently caress off. then they told him they needed to take the foot and he told them to gently caress off. (he went to his older son's wedding in a special braced boot so he could walk on his rotten foot.) they they told him they'd need to take the leg and he told them to gently caress off. then they said he was going to die, so he told them to take the leg.

his wife was head of nursing at a local hospital. their sons were similarly divided: one was a hard-farting redneck and one was a quiet professional who coveted to Judaism.

only one of the four who's not dead of diabetes is the son who got skinny. on meth. the Aristocrats.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I lost one off my Jetta, then found a (nonmatching) VW one within a week

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjymI5kcwAo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

wow

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Radiator caps are pretty interesting little things. For every pound of spring pressure the cap applies, it raises the boiling point inside by 3°F. So instead of boiling over at 212°F, with a 15psi radiator cap (used to be pretty standard), your boil point is 257°F.

that's cool to know.

I swear I saw a service station employee do this exact thing when I was a kid, but I can't imagine why anybody who knew anything about cars would do it ever

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PainterofCrap posted:

I have successfully brought temps down on an overheating 1960s Chrysler product* by spraying the radiator with water while it was running. I hated shutting the engine down during a bad overheat because the temp will spike even higher once the coolant stops circulating - but there is usually no other choice. An oil change will follow.

*is there any other kind

the car I'm thinking of from my childhood was either a 1970 Plymouth Fury III or a 1963ish Plymouth... something boring, so at least that part of my memory adds up.

what I remember is the service station guy not waiting until the car had cooked down all the way and very gingerly taking off the radiator cap with a rag. the coolant came out more like a hose stream than a puff of steam, so when he ran like hell he managed not to get burned.

no idea why this would've happened, and I can't imagine that my father remembers this random Saturday decades ago to verify or correct

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Even under normal operation conditions, the coolant will still be under pressure. As it's technically a sealed system, once the coolant heats, it's producing pressure. Normal operating temperatures are like, 190-220°F. While it's still very hot, it's not vaporized into a steam, so you get a liquid expulsion instead of steam when you open the system. Or a radiator geyser, I guess.

E: this is where the glycol coolants conversation come in, because it has a higher boiling point, it will remain liquid at temps higher than water can. Then the mechanical pressure of the cap adds to it, allowing it to remain liquid until around 260°F as long as it is under pressure. Remove the mechanical pressure of the cap at that temperature, and you have a rapid change of state from liquid to gas form.

gracias. now at least I know it's possible that I saw it, but I'm still not sure why he chose this course of action....

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Marcade posted:

You've never seen a home school bus before?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
some friends of mine had a business in a Chattanooga building that was specifically set up for startup businesses. old industrial building of some kind, all of whatever was in there before stripped out, only had freight elevators.

there was some other startup in the place, and I never understood what exactly they did. they were trying to make some sort of superheated surface, and the idea was iirc that they'd use it as a model of the sun's corona effect.

the practical upshot was that they were a cutting-edge vape lab in those distant pre-vape times of 15 or so years ago. every time they reached a new heat level, they'd celebrate by smoking a bunch of weed with it. and then also every other day.

the head of whatever the gently caress this was was a guy in his 50s who spent a lot of his time variously high. he was eventually banned from the building after he took his Harley up the freight elevator and tooled around the 5th floor for a while.

but before that, he did a bunch of acid at a party, left the party, and managed to skid out. he tried to stop himself with his hand and the upshot was that he lost the first knuckle on each of the fingers of that hand.

he thought this was pretty neat looking, so he rode back to the party to show everybody.

I was visiting my friends, who'd just told me this story. the guy wandered in, talking on a cell phone, and she motioned for him to show me his hand, which looked like that thing I just said. he wandered off again, and I told my friend that I thought the accident had just happened a few weeks ago. it had, apparently.

not too much later, he just sort of suddenly died.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

the summer off-season, shrimp-trawler captains will run tourist trips. on one of these, a captain described the time his crew pulled up a manta ray in the nets. while he was yelling at them not to dump the nets on deck, they dumped the nets on deck.

I don't remember how big he said it was, but way beyond what they could lift. they had to kill it and then spend the rest of the day cutting it up and throwing the pieces overboard.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ultrafilter posted:

I remember seeing some discussion about the potential for Legionnaire's disease from water systems that hadn't been used in a year.

it showed up at Buckingham Palace

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
one of my uncles, in a wide-ranging set of careers, used to fly broken Cessnas (I think) to Canada (I think) to get them repaired.

he quit because he started getting complacent, treating it like driving instead of really paying attention, and he was worried he'd kill himself through carelessness.

which is a little surprising bc he did not quit immediately after the time the flight controls broke off in his hands midflight

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Heavy_D posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-dorset-57253965

Guy walks past like "tsk, not another collapsed wall across the pavement"...

pro click

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ES7ChMpqiM