Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

Reposting this from the old thread.

https://i.imgur.com/lRx8WFN.mp4

I know I shouldn't laugh, but the way the freezer door takes her out gets me every time.

(I don't know how to embed it and make it work)

(Ok, it works outside the preview!)

I feel like I've been told the answer before but what exactly happened there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

That's a weed burner, not a heater.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Harton posted:

Seems a bit extreme bro, I just use a Bic.

Fair enough but sometimes you got a lot of weed.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Two guys on back like, 'don't worry, anything goes wrong we got this."

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Every time I see something like this a little subconscious part of my mind whispers "nailed it".

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

This happened to me once while wiring my elderly dad's new garage. Went to get my fancy aluminum ladder dad says, "oh hell I got a ladder right here." After a very small amount of arguing (as I'd already hurt his feelings a few times by kinda running down his junky stuff) I caved and crawled up his rickety wooden ladder. Got about five steps up and doink, doink, doink, doink, crash. Dammit dad.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Whooping Crabs posted:

I feel like a lot of the chemical and biohazard stuff at my university is more geared to protect the university from liability rather than to create a safe work environment

No way.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Uthor posted:

My whole life, my dad has been making "artisanal" extension cords using whatever wire he has laying around. Plenty of two prong male ends with "grounded" female ends, in the mix. He's then been using them outdoors for Xmas lights and the like. He also likes to use indoor taps to run multiple lines in the outdoors.

Since he's become too ill to do chores around the house, I've been replacing the cords with new ones.

Today while putting up lights outside, I found these two.

I think the were made to join the female ends of two strings of lights. I know they are about to be tossed in the garbage.

We may be brothers.

When my dad needed a new cord for something he would run down to the dying local small town hardware store and buy the only thing they had, 16 ga 2 wire lamp cords. I kid you not, they were on everything. He had one on an ancient drill press once. I grabbed my clamp meter and checked it at 18 amps. Not to mention no ground and everything on that fucker was steel.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

drunkill posted:

How not to lift

Fake news!

The lifting went just fine. It was the putting down that didn't go so well.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Nailed it!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

We should have the rich get coked up and crash their Porsches into hog lagoons so they too can die in poo poo

Would you settle for middle class, alcohol and cow lagoons?

https://www.theindependent.com/news/no-indication-of-foul-play/article_a6092b0e-fc89-50de-9edf-405bf05dd5d1.html

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I never cease to be amazed at the strength of the king-pin. Or whatever the pin is called that connects the truck to the trailer.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

So I am the OSHA today. Stumbled getting up off the floor after doing some welding, tried to brace myself against the wall and dislocated my left shoulder. Been a long time since I've felt anything that painful.

Kind of an extra dose of embarrassment since I'm the head of the safety committee. First recordable accident I've had in twenty years.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

Pyrex is made from cheap tempered glass and isn't particularly temperature shock resistant

One night a few years ago I was cooking dinner and had put a Pyrex pan with cornbread in the oven to cook. A few minutes later I put some water on to boil, planning to make mashed potatoes. I then realized we didn't have any potatoes so I dumped the water out but forgot to turn off the burner. When the cornbread was finished, I took it out of the oven and proceeded to put it directly on the still-on burner which I had forgotten about. It survived about 90 seconds before exploding with the loudest bang I think I've ever heard from inside my house. loving glass everywhere, dogs scared out of their minds. It was horrific.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

No offense but you sound like a v bad cook.

Well I do most of the cooking in our house and I'm a great big fat gently caress so whatever.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I like how people run away in a path parallel to the ship's travel. Like just turn right dude.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Why does it look like the train is tilting over? is that just an effect of the camera shutter?

I think it's that the rail cars have angled sides.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

The small Iowa town I grew up in had a volunteer fire department. We had to have them out for two fires (my dad was a hell of an electrician lol) and both times we later got a letter asking for a donation. It was "pay what you can pay, if that amount is $0, no problem".

I don't know if we ever paid anything, I'm guessing not because we didn't have poo poo. I do know these were guys dad hung out and worked with in other situations and he never got any grief for it.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Genuinely expecting that guy to eat poo poo there.

Yeah I was clenching the whole video.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

other people posted:

I thought stickers were a no-no...

I believe they're generally ok as long as they don't interfere with the ability to inspect for damage. OSHA I believe puts it on the manufacturer of the helmet to allow or disallow it.

*At least that's how it's been explained to me.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

How did he get up there?

P sure it's an angled roof, not a wall.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Pretty Cool Name posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3OxQovC7_E&t=17s

Just charging a battery, what could possibly go wrong.

HO

LEE

gently caress!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

PirateDentist posted:

I know we'd get in trouble if when parked we didn't angle down the forks so the tips were on the ground, in effort to create as small a tripping hazard as they could reasonable have.

I can always tell when one of our operators has left his forks off the ground because when they see me approach, they run back to the machine. It’s common knowledge I will simply take the keys and throw them when I encounter that situation. I’ve got no patience for that poo poo.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Like some kind of truckfuckling art installation.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

This morning I learned what a concrete burn is.

:nms: for shown injuries....

https://imgur.com/gallery/nZUHh

It’s a chemical burn from wet concrete, calcium hydroxide.

I know I'm twenty posts too late but I urge you not to click this link.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Allen-Bradley touchscreen machine controls go to sleep and you have to touch the screen to wake it back up. It also registers this touch as a button press on whatever would have been on the screen before it woke up.

I love their pitch of a superior design and local support when they're talking up their screen compared to one from automation direct at 1/4 the price and then they do poo poo like this.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Uthor posted:

It is not a step!

It is today.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Platystemon posted:

there would be twice the opportunities to smell what the OP is cooking

:golfclap:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Oh poo poo, that is coming OUT rather than in.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Everyday household appliances, how do they work?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Lightning goes wherever lightning wants to go.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

$500 car
$1000 Home Depot shed
$5400 driveshaft

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Spend less on driveshafts.

Meh probably front wheel drive anyway.

Just noticed the kickin’ rad spoiler.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Any chance maybe this video is sped up? Seems like the Lego one is at least a moderate speed. Not that it still couldn't instantly murder you if it chose to.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

that escalated quickly

Well, you see that's where you're wrong. That was the problem in the first place.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Good night fellas, ima go reevaluate my life choices up until today because clearly I’ve come up short compared to this guy. My mind is loving blown.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Well I got it off didn’t I?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Not sure why linemen are always so gross, but they are. I think all that radiation fucks them up.

I think working daily on something that a) could kill you instantly in horrific and terrible ways, and b) is completely mystifying to most people probably does something to the ego to the point where you don’t operate like most people.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Orange juice gonna move your truck of the tracks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Help out a non-electrician, what's going on here? Does it have to do with the wires coming down & around that seem to bypass the circuit breaker?

If it makes you feel any better, I'm an electrician and am equally mystified.