Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I don't get why people doubt the shattered glass. It is intended to crack. That's not a lie. And it is still save.

Here, just watch this for a few seconds, or even the whole minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD05TM7zeBY

edit: The "Security glass" rabbit hole on youtube is quite deep. But just look at that poo poo. A bear won't break that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ8wR6VNg6Y&t=29s

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Powered Descent posted:

Remember last year when Oregon changed its law to finally allow self-serve gas, and people freaked out that suddenly they were being forced to do some highly technical and dangerous industrial job?

What's the plugin called that makes a thread on SA look like that?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Cojawfee posted:

Is the filmer waving the person into the train?

Renegret posted:

Looks like it. And I wouldn't be surprised if they only went because they panicked and saw the person behind them motioning to move.

Yes, sure. Seems probable. If my car ever was on some train tracks for whatever reason and a train is coming, I'd probably look into the rear view mirror and wait for the person behind me to wave me into the right direction too.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Don't know about a sequel to Klaus, but there is also Electrician Horst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDTtdPOiewQ

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jesus. I was thinking of grabbing some short term safety work on an oil rig for my next gig but fuuuck that. :stare:

Usually working there is more like an old comedy routine (starting at 0:10):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861DTgJlyr4&t=10s

The other clips following aren't that funny, fyi.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

LifeSunDeath posted:

So, how the hell do you get off this head-injury machine?

I think it's called a perpetual motion manchine.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I dunno, you put a lot of weight on a small portion of the body and a metal thing with potentially sharp edges and I'm pretty sure it'll remove itself from the body fairly quickly. Hell, there used to be problems with the hangman noose being too tall or long and popping the heads off the people getting hung. I can easily imagine a ring doing some damage during the drop from the net to the ground.
:eng101: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Table_of_Drops

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Fatkraken posted:

Lol at it capping out at like 200lbs

Time for another goon project.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Sagebrush posted:

French outlets are, strangely, the best-engineered design in the world.
False.

With this simple Schutzkontaktsteckdose you have 2 ways to plug in the cable if you need the cable to go the other way.

Cojawfee posted:

The french plugs seem nice in that they seem to be recessed, so you can't accidentally drop a coin and have it fall on exposed prongs like you can with a US outlet. but why is the ground terminal poking out like that?
To make the first connection to your device the ground. The Schutzkontaktsteckdose does it with prongs.

^^Antigravitas :argh:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

BattleMaster posted:

Does this have some mechanism to make it so hot and neutral are not swapped when you plug it in the other way?

No. But that only matters if you are working on a device while it is plugged in. Worst case i can imagine is a light bulb change.

In this case the whole metal screwy part could indeed be hot.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Kith posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't... hate this? At least it's a decent way to keep bears and other critters out of your business.

Needs an anchor, though.
It's very symbiotic, if the tent is loosing air, so will you.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Moo the cow posted:

(Technically true, I suppose)
I'm glad their dry ice can't cause cryogenic burns, must be some new formula.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

I hate it when people use a comparison with water to explain electricity.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Doc Hawkins posted:

no mention of all his flesh being blasted off?!?

??? "25 pound weight loss", it's right there on the picture!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Leper Go-getter posted:

We kow tablesaws, lates ad ost rotatig acier craves te taste blood, bt I wat to give a qick od to te assig dralic powered eqipet ot.
Aoe kow te official ter for tis tig o frot ed loaders?

o take or loader, itc watever eqipet o eed to te top of tis frae, pll back ad te lower otig poits swigs ito place at te botto. A switc i te cab
actates te lockig bolts, solid steel rods gets psed trog te tig ad ad te frae, lockig te eqipet to te acie.

For rEaSos, people wat to se tis ecais for oldig straps ad pllig or liftig a old stff arod a ob site. As o ca tell o te pictre te frae as geerall
o oter attacet poits for tis prpose. (Soeoe igt get a welder ot ad attac oe, if tere's a eed) Tis etod reqires soe grod crew to positio te strap
or cai or wire i te pat of tis bolt. Te operator iside te flip te switc ad lock it i. Tese bolts, or pis or rods, are drive b dralics, wit a fair aot of force.
Eog to sip or figers off like it's ot eve tere. Tis will ot prodce a clea ct eiter, st sags watever o feed it, breaks it off ad spits it ot te side.

I avoided lookig directl at it te wole tie, st wrapped paper over te ed, ad wrapped te separated figat. Te srgeo took a look at it ad st bied it
Ct te leftover boe dow soe ad stitced p te ed. Poorl. Forgot to tck soe erves awa? eeded a rework soe ots later to fix tat.
Do ot recoed 0/10.

drat, that sucks :(

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Kith posted:

How did you turn the quoted post Icelandic
I removed some letters - YUHJNM - and it was very funny in my head at the time of posting.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dumbass didn't turn off the breaker, shorted the wires with the scissors. Just a light tickle at first before diving in for seconds.

There are tools made to work on live wires with heavy insulation on the grips. Wouldn't have stopped this idiot from shorting it the way he was cutting.

E: those are needle nose pliers, not scissors, my bad.
As he was able to short the wires TWICE, I'm not sure if there even is a breaker.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Uthor posted:

Stupidest kitchen injury, go!
Oh hey I once made a short thread about that. PSA about glasses with a small crack and hand washing them (Don't!!!!) There's an imgur album linked in there showing the results: https://imgur.com/a/YrqgzQL

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Memento posted:

The skin on a lava lake becoming detached from the crust as hotter, more buoyant liquid lava comes up from underneath and submerges it, and the older, colder, denser skin sinks to the bottom.
Time works the same way.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

tithin posted:

I presume this is bad? I'm not an electrician tho

Not necessarily bad, but dumb. If those aren't special outlets in a workshop they share the same breaker. So it won't double the amps/voltage/phases. To make this work you'd need one outlet to have 2 phases and one outlet on the third phase. This would be highly unusual.

So no, you won't get 3 phases out of your standard outlet at home. Without any specifics about the 3-phase motor I'm not sure if it will burn some coils in the motor or flip your breaker or just not work at all.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
lmao, we see things in this thread all the time where someone doesn't use appropriate PPE because it saves a dollar or two. Or something goes wrong because it had to be done fastfastfast. How great that there is a way in some countries to ban those snowflakes who insist on safety. Or cost the company money in some other ways because they don't behave like droids without a sense of self preservation. Oh wait no I'm sure that never happens and the system works perfectly and gets used only in the cases where it makes 100% sense, my bad.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
It is like there is a line between "smoked crack while operating a crane" and "not willing to piss in a diaper at the amazon warehouse" but I'm not sure I trust companies to define where it is.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

zedprime posted:

Definitely by design. They announce new front end loaders and excavators by making them climb around heavy machinery jungle gyms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMUvAUPTGM

My favorite part is at 7:43

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Vlaphor posted:

I may not know my electricity, but something about this feels off.

That is really well made and I wouldn't have a problem using it. If this was a commercial device, the only difference would be that the transformer has another case, no plug but a cable clamp and is 5 times as expensive.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Facebook Aunt posted:

Failed state, or awesome state? In a truck with a machine doing this you'd employ 1 or 2 guys. This method employs at least 5 guys (3 we see plus the driver and camera man). End unemployment, have everyone shovel salt.

Or how about we use the machine, still employ 5 guys and everyone works like half the time for the same benefits? I'm kidding of course, don't want to get on a watchlist for radical leftists.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
:stare:

https://twitter.com/Dumbsheat/status/1550666095798980608

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ekuNNN posted:

holy gently caress that is terrible

quote:

It’s unclear at what speed the passenger train and the freight train were travelling when they ran into each other just before midnight Tuesday, but survivors said the impact threw several passengers through the windows of train cars. State broadcaster ERT quoted rescuers saying they found some victims’ bodies 30-40 meters (100-130 feet) from the impact site.
State broadcaster ERT was apparently wrong, the speed of the trains is missing now.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Put it in the mildly interesting pictures thread, this is boreing.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

RandomBlue posted:

can I get a recording of this recording of this tweet with a video that's a recording of a security system's display that recorded this?

ur weird

https://i.imgur.com/RRXTnDQ.mp4

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

deoju posted:

A 16-year-old has died at a Mississippi poultry processing plant, county coroner says

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/18/us/mississippi-chicken-processing-plant-16-year-old-death/index.html

“We strive daily to work as safely as possible and are truly devastated whenever an employee is injured.”
No way to prevent this. Just part of the deal, sometimes people need to die for chicken wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So he's going to jail for shooting up a police car, and extra charges for endangering people while committing a crime, like when cops charge a robber with murder because the cops shot a child while he was handcuffed on the ground right

Right

Of course not. The guy who was handcuffed in their car will be charged.

a tweet posted:

On November 12, 2023, an incident involving Okaloosa County Sheriff's deputies in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, led to the resignation of Deputy Jesse Hernandez following an officer-involved shooting.

Responding to a disturbance involving Marquis Jackson, accused of grand theft auto and making threats, deputies apprehended Jackson after the victim reported his possession of firearms and a silencer.

During the ongoing investigation, Hernandez mistakenly interpreted an acorn hitting the patrol car as a gunshot, resulting in both Hernandez and Sergeant Beth Roberts discharging their weapons into the vehicle with Jackson handcuffed inside.

No injuries were reported, and subsequent investigations judged Hernandez's response as not objectively reasonable, leading to his resignation, while Roberts was exonerated.