Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yay, I made the front page!

This is the best thread, and when I saw that it was closed from my bookmarks page I was very concerned. Goldmining is good, getting a refresh is good, I'll continue plundering the depths of the Australian mining industry for the best fuckups and :stonklol: content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Boogalo posted:

Right click>unmute

Did they forget to untie themselves from the dock?

"gently caress Billy, why aren't we accelerating?!?!? Full steam ahead already!"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This one came across my desk just now. Underground gold mine in Western Australia had a stope failure earlier this month.

This handy diagram from a similar thing last year shows what's going on. Normally, and in this recent case, the drill rig is positioned behind a mounded wall of compacted rock and dirt called a bund.

This time, the stope failed badly enough that the bund was breached, and a whole shitload of rock rilled out and started pushing the drill down the ore drive. The operator waited until the rig had stopped moving, then jumped out and legged it, in search of a fresh pair of trousers.

Aftermath:

The mine has been closed down pending an investigation. No injuries from this one, but underground does carry a certain, unique risk profile.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/8a0e2PP.gifv

Security camera at a home about half a mile from the TPC Chemical explosion. Literally turns night into day.

quote:

TPC Chemical had a major explosion at 12:56 AM. This security camera footage captured the explosion and the after-effects at a residence that is approximately 1/2 mile from the TPC facility. All of the front and back doors along with the garage doors were blown out. There were also several windows blown out as well. The dog in the video could not be reached for comment

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I definitely wondering how often the house next door gets to use their fireplace

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mustached Demon posted:

I think it means don't gently caress the sprinkler.

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the sprinkler

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Propaganda Hour posted:

Alarm doesn't sound.

motherfucker

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

armies failed to take note of this

warfare_since_forever.txt

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CommieGIR posted:

I see those cops went to the spetznatz school of Hostage rescue.

What, they pumped carfentanyl gas in and then dragged out the unconcious hostages, and failed to leave them in the recovery position, leading to a massive, easily avoidable death toll?

Well at least the last part is right :negative:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Cross postin'

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah isn't that "every English speaking country"?

Also, I very much hope those pictures are jokes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Important to note that you need sound for this one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://giant.gfycat.com/EnormousAgedIrishwolfhound.webm

Not sure if that's going to embed for everyone

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yesterday there was a massive eruption of the phreatic volcano on New Zealand's White Island. Currently five deaths from the tourists who were evacuated, with eight people unaccounted for. Really difficult to understand why people were still being allowed to go there. With the volcano being mostly submerged, meteoric water from the ocean can easily infiltrate down to the magma chamber and initiate a massive steam explosion with essentially no warning. This then releases pressure on the magma chamber, causing it to explosively exsolve its volatile gases and violently erupt.

The New Zealand government agency GNS upgraded the warning level from 1 to 2 (out of 5) about three weeks ago, with 3 being "minor eruption", 4 being "moderate eruption" and 5 being "major eruption". 2 is "heightened volcanic unrest, may erupt at any time". Even with signed waivers, people should not have been anywhere near that island. The type of explosion associated with these sorts of eruptions can send a cloud of ash, gravel and dust along with toxic, acidic gases faster than the speed of sound down the side of the cone.

Good twitter thread from a guy who missed being vaporised by 22 minutes here.

https://twitter.com/sch/status/1203893996566634496?s=19

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh and Sydney is a little hazy today.

https://media.scribblelive.com/2019/12/10/1838a9a9-ade0-4b03-9fdf-afdf8e32862b.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LifeSunDeath posted:

We get it Australia, you vape.

Just for giggles, why not, let's have a laugh.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The volcanology professor from my old university has been on about eight different news reports I've seen in the last 36 hours. On each one he has basically said "I have no idea why people were allowed to go there, I went there 20 years ago and never want to go back and it's literally my job"

If the volcanologists won't go there, don't go there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HardDiskD posted:

I can't tell if you are just making this up or not.

Yeah crossfit is constantly butting up against Poe's Law.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Some lighter OSHA

quote:

Motion sensor light in our office is obscured and at a desk of a coworker who works a different shift. This is our high tech solution to keep the lights on until maintenance gets around to changing it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

a pile of garbage lying on a lower deck

:ussr:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

In the UK they're called "Cut & Shut". And yeah, they are absolute death traps.

Same name in Australia. They are legal here, if they're done right and have a registered automotive engineer sign off on them afterwards. Basically, if they're a new-ish car, they just don't get signed off on, so no one tries to do them legally. I know a dude who used to have a Kingswood that was front half HQ Premier, back half HZ, that was as fine as a 1971 car was ever going to be.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh and where is Scott Morrison right now? Taking charge of the situation and making sure firefighters and hospitals get the resources they need?

Nahh he hosed off to Hawaii on holiday.

edit:

https://twitter.com/BOM_au/status/1207128438554783746

Memento fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 18, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shut up Meg posted:

It's been said that if you tried to introduce the gasoline-powered car today, you'd never get approval without a load of safety regulations including trained and licensed operators, wearing full ppe including respirators.

I read somewhere that if aspirin was invented today it would be a strictly controlled pharmaceutical, or possibly never even make it to human trials. We're a lot more careful about what we put into ourselves these days.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought this was cool, I've never considered the depth of the water to be a contributing factor to sinking ships on the Great Lakes

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's a pretty big workshop to not contain a single loving fire extinguisher. And I guess if you got someone to disconnect the battery, you might not have a spare person to record it all on their phone.

And of course it's a Land Rover.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MisterOblivious posted:

lockout-tagout locks are the weakest loving locks you can buy

This does not at all match my experience

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

GotLag posted:

Broadbandyfloss?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Tosheroonternet

These are both very good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:golfclap:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1212650816714297344?s=19

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

thomawesome posted:

My mom had a set of stovetop Pyrex cookware. It's not very good for heat transfer but you can easily go from stovetop to oven at least. I think she got it from some Avon catalogue or painted pampered chef or something.

Cast iron is a thing that does all of these things much better

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a couple of those silicon pot handle condoms that make handling them a lot easier. Still quite heavy, but worth it if you can handle it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ooLc1bG.mp4
There’s sound but it’s best to leave it off...

The machine gun on top of the vehicle ejecting its barrel is a pretty regular occurrence. The new version has a much quicker change out procedure but the older (pre-2010) one will quite happily launch its barrel downrange if you gently caress up the headspacing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pure gold

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There is a lot more OSHA content than that. There's a city powered by holy steamworks that uses a fire god as the heat source in the first book, and then one of the sequels has a temple inside a live volcano (I think? I remember something about lava having the power to transform people).

There's a bit in the early Malazan books where a city has gaslamps on the streets that run off the gas deposits in caverns below. The invading force sends some basically Special Forces soldiers to go stir up poo poo in the town, and one of the ideas they have is to dig up a portion of a main intersection disguised as city workers, and lay explosives there for maximum fuckery at a date of their choosing. They figure out not long after this that if they actually want to capture the city, as opposed to vaporising it, they should probably not do that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Qantas Fokker 100 flying up to Newman in Western Australia got into some serious wind and rain, and slid off the end of the runway.

https://twitter.com/airplusnews_EN/status/1215269787225509892?s=19

No injuries, just a lot of soaked FIFO workers.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://giant.gfycat.com/PlayfulBlondBlackbird.webm

This seems... not safe.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I honestly thought scalping involved hacking off the top of someone's skull with an axe, destroying the entire brain in the process.

I guess you learn something new every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also my understanding is that if it wasn't for the fact that HFCs were there, and could be used as cheaply as CFCs, the refrigeration industry would still be using them to this day and kicking and screaming the way oil companies are.