Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Level: 3

The carbon footprint from frequent/regular domestic air travel is an ecological nightmare, not even counting the lead poisoning aspect. It should absolutely not be handwaved away in a statement like "unless you're willing to get rid [of it]". We have to get rid of it if we want to survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Lead poisoning is the one thing you don't have to worry about with jet and turbo prop planes.
You don't have to get rid of domestic air travel, you have to get rid of fossil fuels.

Are you talking about electric passenger planes? I'm down for this

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Phanatic posted:

What's the lead poisoning aspect of regular domestic air travel? Jet engines don't burn leaded gas.

And the carbon footprint from domestic air travel is a rounding error. 87% of anthropogenic CO2 emissions are from burning fossil fuels. 22% of that 87% is from transportation. Of that 22% of 87%, 11% is aviation. That's a bit over 2% of human CO2 emissions. If that's an "ecological nightmare," what do you consider coal power? Or marine shipping?

While it may have been "2%" at one point, it's growing at a very fast clip and will account for a very sizable chunk of 'the budget'. of course, those other examples are ecological nightmares as well

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Ah yes I forgot about the wisdom of the 'one thing at a time' approach to environmental justice

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Phanatic posted:

but what the hell is it?

The simplest explanation is obviously that protestors poured concrete molds into coffee cups, and let them set overnight so that they could hurl them at police

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

TBH we need more people like this

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

Entitled Trump supporters? Naw, gently caress that.

people sacrificing themselves in the war on cars

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Wrr posted:

100% chance that dude is an ancient poo poo head trump supporter, but, it does really highlight how god awful the American car based infrastructure is and how we should engineer out the potential for the need for this dude to do poo poo like this.

That way, when he still does it, I can hate him harder and more purely.

There's a bridge kinda like this that spans the mouth of the Columbia River and it has similar problems. If people did this rascal blockade weekly no doubt they would add a pedestrian option within a year

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

This is why they tell gym owners to bolt all equipment to the floor

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Is that an alternator? Also why don't they just deflate the tire

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

It was most likely intentional. If you don't ride bikes in the US you can probably assume you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about. We do something like 40,000 traffic deaths per year. American exceptionalism baby

edit: to expand, our culture, road infrastructure, and justice system create the perfect storm of just absolutely loving over everyone not in a car.

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 25, 2020

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Lou Takki posted:

Clearly no one deserves to get hit by a truck lol, I hope that they caught that driver.

Also bicyclists who don't follow traffic laws are assholes because I sure don't want to hit anyone when driving.

Always important to indict murdering psychopaths and jerk cyclists in the same sentence

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

it used to be worse but as more and more conservative people leave SA, the car-culture knee jerk reaction thing becomes less severe. You should have seen GBS in the early 2000's when riding bikes came up

the real OSHA is the infrastructure depicted in the video. 8 Lane state highways with traffic going 50mph in both directions, and somehow pedestrians and people who ride bikes are supposed to get through this poo poo uninjured

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

this one would be auto olfactory-visual alert

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

OH hey this looks like my landlords lovely dryer duct

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

There probably isn't an easier tool to gently caress up and cut yourself with than using a flathead screwdriver for anything but flat head hardware

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Necrosaro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYUuWWnfRsk

Boston Dynamics is working hard to end this thread. When there are no more jobs there won't be a need for OSHA.

If Boston Dynamics has its way wrt lucrative DoD contracts, we will have plenty of videos of robots maiming people

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Spinz posted:

No

Sponges hold germs it's actually more sanitary to use cloth; I change them every like day or two

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/science/sponges-dirty-bacteria-contamination.html posted:

“You should not become hysteric and afraid of your kitchen sponge now,” said Dr. Egert in our original interview. Even sterile environments can make a person ill, he added. “But if you’re already ill or have ill people at home, you should be more careful.”

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

Spinz posted:

Hysteric? Was the original interview in 1879?

Lol.
I just worked forever in food service and I'm cool with using a cloth so I can start over fresh everyday or two it's no big deal you do you. I love this thread and I'm just a lurker in it usually

He's German and authored the paper that started the most recent sponge germ hysteria

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPDfZArP_Q

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

ATV's seem pretty risky. It's like everyone who does it regularly for fun ends up with some traumatic injury at some point.

edit: if you are dutifully hauling sap, carcasses or shitloads of tools out into/from the middle of nowhere, that's another story

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Pretty footage of a backdraft in a house fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUA04wyHg4

I'd be seriously worried about oxygen content in a confined space like that below ground, even before you cram it full of people

just give yourself 6 hours and make sure you bring a map itll be fine! It's Utah's MOST popular cave! what could go wrong!?