Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Uhhh, worth a look

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904619&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I remember reading in the Everest thread that people have rappelled off the ends of their ropes because they couldn't be bothered to tie a knot at the end of it.

I consider this OSHA cause I think he was as close as you can get to a full time climber.

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news/brad-gobright-dies-in-accident-in-el-potrero-chico-mexico/

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
This is supposedly the largest operating counterblow hammer in the world, and it's only a few miles from me. A buddy works at this place and they do defense work so zero chance of getting to see it in person.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of defense work do that to with that? Like smash terrorists?

They don't solely do defense stuff, so I can't say that machine is part of that, but I know my friend has to do a lot of work with inconel and other stupid expensive alloys, something with jet or helicopter engines I think?

I know it used to be used to forge missile parts, and the company had previously made parts for the space shuttle.

Skip to 6:50 for the start of the sequence: https://youtu.be/MvADC43EHmE

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Fun fact, this was tried on a very small scale in 1958 by a Soviet physicist. It glows an eerily beautiful green due to what we now know as Cherenkov urination.

lmao

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
For the people who don't know this poo poo, can we get a quick breakdown on this Jerry dude? He seems incompetent / indifferent to safe practices, but that's all I can suss out.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A friend's coworker did a number on the back of her left hand with a grinder, like "is that bone? Oh poo poo!" bad. The gloves, they did nothing.

Still probably better to wear them while grinding than not.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'll do you one even better, not only do i not give a gently caress, it would actually improve the moral fabric of the world to totally erase everything in the area. also, haulage is needless, as tailings can be disposed of on site :getin:

Wheel-bucket excavator with the conveyor belt dumping into a nuclear furnace or something?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Omnikin posted:

Putting out a request for any great dramatic articles on OSHA disasters. I know I've read a few in this thread's history on the El Faro sinking, the Challenger disaster and the hurricane hunters plane in... Hugo? I believe.

I love those articles.

https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Pretty sure there are rural areas with actual private for profit fire departments instead of govt provided, and if you don't subscribe to their service they will not help you.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Smiling Jack posted:

Tons of anarchy

lmao

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

:emptyquote:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Looking like a worker doesn't always work. Some dudes showed up and started digging up our fiber so they could attach some device to the jacketing to do location work, but this was unexpected. When getting your fiber cut could cost millions per hour, well security got em within two minutes of work and while I wasn't privy to the emails about that incident, I'm sure <insert major national telecom company here> and <insert local telecom infrastructure/locate company> learned real quick.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Hey boss looks like we will need a taller ladder for this job.

Boss: no.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
If they had an airframe parachute they could of landed vertically instead

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

LifeSunDeath posted:

My little town hosts a lot of campgrounds for the bikers to stay during the LoneStar biker rally in galveston. Right across from the park someone just built a Drive-thru Daiquiri business. I can't wait to see bikers lined up to get roadies during this year's rally. Not that it will even make a difference since they already sell them copious amounts of lovely beer in galveston, then they ride back out to the sticks to camp.

Wait what. Drive through boozy drinks? Like with a straw to drink on the way home from work? lol drat

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

zedprime posted:

Important crosspost

I bought some n95 masks a week or two ago, but I am not shaving until I actually need them. I haven't been clean shaven in many years and I'm not gonna start early.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Russia, for those who didn't click the article.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sex Skeleton posted:

Can we use something else instead? The spark plugs are really hard to get to and I’m concerned it might be difficult to maintain because of that.

I'm sure we could source a maserati biturbo engine at a good price.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So I'm not sure where this should actually go, but how are companies proving they're essential so that employees that have to commute through curfew areas have something to show the police if they get pulled over for violating curfew?

Or is it just "Print off the email where the company claims this and hand it to the cop if you get pulled over"?

My company went a bit fancier and made a memo to print off. They at least included contact names and numbers for bigwigs who could vouch/answer questions if needed.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

What song would a musical garbage truck play?

Slayer, any song works

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://youtu.be/nU0BmAWtz5c

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sagebrush posted:

Fluke has a trademark on yellow-housing, gray-faceplate (not just yellow) electronic testing equipment. They have argued, I would say correctly, that their particular color scheme on the type of equipment they sell is as distinctive as a logo. Essentially every single product they sell is that color, and if you see a yellow-and-gray multimeter anywhere in the country you can assume it's a Fluke.

The specific event Ornamental Dingbat is talking about was when SparkFun, an electronics company in Colorado, imported a bunch of yellow-and-gray discount multimeters to put in beginners' electronics kits and a customs agent in LA happened to notice and had them destroyed. SparkFun made a big boohoo about how big meanie Fluke was preventing young people from learning electronics (:rolleyes:) and Fluke noted that they were protecting their trademark, which they legally have to do lest it get genericized and anyone be able to copy the look of their meters. Whether you like that idea or not, it is probably true that people currently see a meter in the Fluke color pattern and go "oh, that's a good one, and probably expensive." I certainly do.

Incidentally, after that event Fluke donated a bunch of their own multimeters to schools as a gesture of good faith.

Disney does the same thing... they’re very protective of their stuff but they do circle back and do goodwill efforts usually. Disney still may suck for many other reasons.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Did the shuttle crew do anything manually during launch? I thought it was all computers/ground control as well.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The capsule is basically a cargo container with life support and displays to make the humans feel more comfortable, drat near everything is automatic and or done from the ground. There’s nothing for the humans to control.

Cargo has been docking fully automatically to the ISS for many years.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

sharkytm posted:

We call it the rule of gross tonnage.

Isn’t it odd to name rules after yourself?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Hardon Crime posted:

why dont you just install the sockets upside down so the ground is on top

All of the outlets at my job are like this, but our electrical contractor is top notch and doesn’t cut corners. Not sure how widespread it is in practice.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cartoon Man posted:

You can download VLC player from the app store to view them but it’s a pain in the rear end. Copy the link to the file, open VLC, go to network tab and select “open network stream”. Paste the link and it will play.

I just tap the link and VLC opens and asks if I want to download or play.... I don’t remember doing anything special to make it do that, but I’ve been using vlc for ages so I probably wouldn’t even remember if I did.

Edit: on iPhone

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Welp

https://twitter.com/SinaZerbo/status/1276559857731153921?s=20

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Uh... how worried should someone living in the orange area be?

The orange area displays the potential area the source is in based on winds over the last 72 hours. How dangerous it is depends on proximity to the actual source.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Probably some sort of processing/reprocessing accident if I had to speculate wildly

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xFSwIw-_-as

:colbert:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Even if the ship is a total loss, they’ll need to positively verify the removal or destruction of every single piece of sensitive equipment on board before it can get scrapped. Letting it sink just makes that much harder and much more expensive.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Let's move on from drowning to an all new kind of nightmare.

Turns out this was intentional, hence some of the odd responses and laughter.

https://news.yahoo.com/man-clings-onto-hot-air-170000782.html

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Speaking of chemical dangers, the ERG app was updated to the 2020 version on iOS within the last few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There’s been a few instances of people surviving tornados by hiding inside of a walk in cooler, like direct hit kinda stuff. My admittedly limited experience with walk ins inside restaurants makes then look pretty tough, but It wouldn’t surprise me if more modern walk ins were nothing but foam and positive thoughts.