Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

NoWake posted:

This anecdote is about 8 years old now, but DC used to allow tour buses to park for free along the perimeter of Potomac Park, and dozens would. This was a perfect setup as it was pretty close to the various monuments / museums that don't allow parking in the loading zones, was out of general traffic flow, and not anywhere near anything sensitive. A group get dropped off, do their thing for 2 hours, then call their driver up when they were ready for pickup. You could usually get to wherever they were in the National Mall in about 15 minutes.

DC then decided that they didn't want buses parking there anymore. Bus parking was to be at RFK Stadium, which takes about hour to drive to from the National Mall. The thing is, once you got there, it was already time to head back to wherever your group needed you to pick them up. So the other option besides parking was to just drive an empty bus in circles around the Mall, over and over in almost gridlock traffic, for a couple hours. I should add that the tours I drove didn't just have one bus, but multiple between 2-4. If DC wants to gently caress the drivers, the drivers can gently caress them right back.

Well that's just common courtesy

The one and only time I was on a chartered bus to DC, the bus company sucked and the initial bus broke down, and a replacement was sent to pick us all up. On the drive (philly to DC) the driver informs us that rather than dropping us near the national mall as contracted/expected, because the bus being driven didn't have a permit to enter DC city limits, (despite the fact that the bus that did have a permit was not going to DC) we would instead be dropped off at a metro station in VA, and have to ride the remainder of the way in, then meet the bus at that station at the end of the day to return home.

That bus never started at the end of the day, and we all waited 4 hours afterward waiting on a third bus that never materialized before we all left for a hotel to crash for the night to return in the morning.

gently caress busses, take amtrak. At least that poo poo runs because of Biden, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Nenonen posted:

I'm really confused by the apparent lack of delay between visual and aural explosion. Does the flameball rise above tree line at such a delay that sound would reach the distant point simultaneously? The sound is also surprisingly crisp for a recording from inside a car, but what do I know.

I think they purposely hosed with the audio, since there's cars going by visually close but you hear them way later than you normally should.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I really wanted the torch to be Elon musk's Not-a-flamethrower™

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
In the US, Aren't deisel and gas taxes paying for the upkeep of interstate highways? So how do trucks/trucking companies not pay for the upkeep, then?

Local roads I get since those are supposedly funded by local property taxes, but is the deisel/gas tax just not enough to cover the wear large trucks do, or what?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Gotcha. Fair point. And capitalism being what it is, the trucker's lobby to keep deisel prices down because otherwise doing so would cut into profits delivery of goods.

So normal poo poo hole American economics. Peachy.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

drgitlin posted:

Please, it’s “diesel”. :eng101: (actually technically German 101 because Rudolph Diesel was German).

I'm a terrible phone poster.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cable Guy posted:

Given the Utah plates, might that not be a family member saying they're grateful a relative is back in Utah earlier than expected... rather than "Hallelujah, here we go, we're gonna see the king..."

I mean yes, obviously, the Covid = angel thing is :stare:.

Just saying I'm not so sure it's quite as death-culty as appears. (Not quite being the operative in that statement... still pretty death-culty, just not as much).

I mean, Mormons are pretty much a death cult based on Jesus fanfiction.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
My wife has a letter from her GM printed out which cites the governor order, the place she works which is listed as essential, and because it's 24/7, a writ of permission to be out any time. Signed with a real signature and contact information of the GM.

She hasn't been stopped yet but I hope she never will be. :ohdear:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

[timgx]https://loeildelaphotographie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/MaxScheler_27_Schutzanzu%CC%88gegegendenradioaktivenNIederschlagIIjpg-Kopie-x540q100.jpg[/timg]

It's very osha to steal bandwidth.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Lol remember when SA was big enough to bring down image servers.

I like to think that it's not that SA has gotten smaller, but that the internet has become a more stable place to host things in general. :unsmith:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
https://i.imgur.com/0CBkzjW.gifv

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Knowing philly and how high that guy probably was, it was likely there for a while before the guy came along. Or he dropped it himself.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
https://i.imgur.com/hUPe2ah.mp4

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'm waiting for the pill to grow a new kidney.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
You can see the saftey pin spin out. Pretty sure it's not supposed to do that...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I assume from his years of being in the shop doing the same thing his skin is so full of slivers that new ones don't penetrate his skin anymore.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What if a plane was trying to take off on a treadmill that matched the plane's forward speed, and then the plane released its airframe parachute when the engines were at full power?

It would only work and take off once the runway was lowered.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

https://giphy.com/gifs/tp4dm1ptNnQ76

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If the osha thread really wants to bust on the dragon interface, go gently caress with it youself:

https://iss-sim.spacex.com

Its the exact thing the astronauts will use to dock at the ISS.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

H2SO4 posted:

I'm always wary hearing things like "well the important controls have redundant physical buttons." First question is always "ok, but who decided which controls were important enough?" Predicting what might be important in every situation is kind of impossible, and the tradeoff being "well we can use shiny ipads instead of boring switches" kind of seems like a lovely bargain.

It was designed in concert with NASA and astronaut input. The COO, Gwynne Shotwell, keeps a stranglehold on day-to-day stuff like this away from ol Musky.
As has been stated before, all launches are essentially automated on the way up. Even the abort sequence in the event of a failure is 100% automated, because human reaction time is not enough to pull the capsule away from a rapid unplanned disassembly event.

Moreover, for input the astronaut does do, it is trained and drilled and they have checklist upon checklist upon checklist of procedures that they memorize, and have strapped to their leg. If you watch the launch abort livestream from the other day, when they officially called the abort at T-16:53, you could hear the one guy saying that they're in abort, and proceed to <string of numbers> on abort checklist.

It's pretty much the antithesis of OSHA, though astronaut jobs aren't exactly risk free...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

The capsule is basically a cargo container with life support and displays to make the humans feel more comfortable, drat near everything is automatic and or done from the ground. There’s nothing for the humans to control.

Cargo has been docking fully automatically to the ISS for many years.

Soyuz docks. Cargo dragon is berthed.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

Nothing like being stuck at a rail crossing when one of those 4 mile long trains rolls through

https://i.imgur.com/uHpcybx.mp4

I assume the grade is why that circles around like that rather than taking the more direct route?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
When my previous landlord replaced the smoke detectors in our place, they were the 10 year lithium battery kind that were turned on by being twisted onto the mounting.

Once they did get a low battery, there was a one-way switch in the back that would permanently and safely discharge the remainder of the battery so you could dispose of it without it beeping for days in the trashcan.

Clearly this discussion has taught us that capitalism has invented a gently caress lot of different smoke detectors, most of them suck, and many landlords loving suck because 'merica. :911:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Beef posted:

OSHA: the game just entered Early Access

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAtM-H3wrP4

This looks extremely my jam, Thank you for linking it.

I've been playing the other OSHA: the game, Satisfactory recently, where you get to build your own osha nightmare.

You have to buy your own walkways and can fling yourself across the map with a hypertubes (Futurama-style, not musk-style). It's great.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Not going to lie, thoughtful mod discussion like this is probably the reason many of us stay on this dead gay comedy forum. So thank you.

So if the lovely cinderblock/expanding foam wall has gaps between the building and the start of the wall, what is the point exactly?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

I occasionally see people riding mobility scooters on the road even when there's a proper unblocked sidewalk, I just assumed it's because it makes them feel like they're driving a real vehicle

Most likely it's because the scooter can't negotiate the relative unevenness and breaks/dips/cracks a sidewalk has versus a road.

Better to be in the road where you're guaranteed a smooth surface and annoy drivers rather than stuck awaiting someone to help because the city infrastructure sucks and you get stuck on a crack.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Fat Loser posted:

You don't drive on highways very much, do you?

This is mainly for roads around where the Maga-hat idiot is likely to go, not the dumbass causeway blocking doofuses in the gif are.

We call that a "normalization of deviance".

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
But the reactor they're offloading it from is, far as I can tell

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Neutrino posted:

Sometimes you have to worry about vertical curve clearance.

Why does it look like the cop is writing a ticket to two midget truck drivers?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Doubly weird since it looks like the bin and the trick have the ability to pick up the bin for him.

He's too engrossed in his childhood to notice.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I got busy and fell behind on reading this thread and it kept getting worse as the unread posts went into the hundreds. Finally caught up today.

No wonder this thread blew up. :haw:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Rolling foal?

:golfclap:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

dog nougat posted:

Grew up in Central PA. That better be some drat good root beer to make a trip to Downingtown worthwhile.

Not empty quoting here, Downingtown is terrible.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida attorney here. In Florida it is actually difficult to get punitive damages. They must be separately requested via motion for leave to amend before you can even request them in the complaint. You must put forth a proffer of evidence that demonstrates either willful misconduct or gross negligence as defined by statute. The SCoFL has further clarified that they're only available in situations where the culpability is equivalent to that of manslaughter.

drat! That's a high loving bar to reach. I'd imagine plenty of lobbying by Disney is the culprit for the laws those decisions are based on.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

OSHA IV: River of Pain Au Chocolat

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

I think it's the first time a post is mine got changed into the thread title :kimchi:

Welcome to the club, kid. :3:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

There's a bit in Terkel's oral history of the great depression (Hard Times) about country and city boys getting into tussles on construction sites and shoving one another into the concrete on a dam project and that they'd leave the bodies in there. He purposely didn't fact check the stories since his goal was just to collect as large and diverse a sample of them as possible so it may be made up.

Very apocryphal. If they left a dead body in the concrete, it'd eventually rot and leave a void which would likely cause the dam to collapse.

They probably got horrible concrete burns and died later or something, but they didn't leave them in there.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Someone once told me that the reason that Imperial measurements are fractional instead of decimal is that it's much easier for illiterate people to work with fractions, even if decimals are more precise. Not sure if it's true, but it sure makes a lot of sense.

Also an interesting reminder regardless, that for nearly all of human history, most everything was built by people who couldn't read or likely even do anything but the most basic of math.

It's because 12 has factors of 2, 3, 4 and 6. It's much easier to split things in 1/2 and 1/3 etc when your measurement system defines them with many base factors.

Yes, decimal is more precise, but precision on that level didn't exist that much in the open air market stall in 1100 AD or whatever.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yes but if you measure things in 12s, it's much easier to say "you three of you get 4 things each" than it is if you measure by 10s and having to say "you three get three things and a tiny bit more, each" is my point.

This is also the reason behind the sumerian calendar being based heavily in 6, 12 and 60, because it has many factors which make it easier to fractionally divide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
https://i.imgur.com/IPtmcUm.gifv

I know he's tied off but drat.