Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Not enough PPE in the world

https://i.imgur.com/wjEws5I.mp4

Apparently some of the scrap metal was still damp.

In a non-cowboy smelter, when you're charging a furnace with scrap to recycle (or even raw material that you're smelting), you use a remotely operated bucket and absolutely nobody is allowed to be in the blast zone. You still get dramatic results if damp scrap ends up in the furnace, but it doesn't result in a person being showered in molten metal.

Having it done by a guy in a forklift sitting right in front of the opening is incredibly irresponsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Real Amethyst posted:

:wtc:
Why are they even doing this? When the guy steps inside the protective cabin I knew poo poo was about to go down.

The guy steps inside the cabin because the rules say no-one can be in the area outside the cabin while the furnace is being charged. He's stepped inside that cabin dozens if not hundreds of times before, but you didn't see a video about it because nothing dramatic happened.

That sort of thing doesn't usually happen. But the safety rules are written so that if it does, people don't get hurt.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kibayasu posted:

Right, but even assuming that is not what happened in that video, why would you ever want the lift to go free and put in a lever that makes that happen?

Perhaps when you have the load on the ground, and you want to give the riggers some slack to work with.

You couldn't really lower it under power at that point since the load wouldn't actually be pulling on it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cojawfee posted:

Were his clothes ripped off in an industrial accident or something?

You can see them in the background wrapped around the lathe.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

NoWake posted:

I wouldn't waste the time mocking this up, it's real. UPS saw the valid criticism, took the tone-deaf one down & put up a new message offering condolences to the right people.

The two posters you quoted were talking about the (satire) tweet picture in this post:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly, I would cut the ends off first. Well, at least one of them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
literally every line of the canyonero song fits

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Memento posted:

I read somewhere that if aspirin was invented today it would be a strictly controlled pharmaceutical, or possibly never even make it to human trials. We're a lot more careful about what we put into ourselves these days.

I don't know exactly where the line is between "invented" and "discovered", but I'm pretty sure aspirin is in the latter group.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It depends on how easy it is to cultivate.

If it requires a lot of investment such that a capitalist can effectively control the means of production, then it'll stay legal (with some regulations to help lock up that monopoly even tighter).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately, we need to get far away from methane release of any sort.

The whole point is that you're going to capture the methane and burn it instead of releasing it into the environment.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PathAsc posted:

I'm ignorant to the setup of these, is it normal to have a loving harness tether bearing your weight to be a loop with velcro instead of a stitched loop? It looks like there's a proper carabiner it's secured to, so what is the reason for this monstrosity I'm looking at?

If you read the subtitles, the video creator calls that out as his first mistake.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Synthbuttrange posted:

yeah but this has been raised for weeks now here.

I'm pretty sure they didn't just nip down to the local bi-lo on boxing day to get the fireworks.

That poo poo was paid for months ago.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

brugroffil posted:

Yeah for as dumb as these animals are, they didn't manage to gently caress up their own entire ecosystem (all of Earth) in like two centuries.

You want to look at deer for an example of that. Left to their own devices they'd happily genocide themselves through famine, humans have to kill a bunch of them every year to keep their numbers in check after we pushed out the apex predators that used to do that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You already said Australian.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's what gave it away? Not the copy-pasted pixel-for-pixel identical siding and supporting timbers?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You just need to spend $$$ to do it on your own dime. It's expensive, but it's also fun, and it's not really that much more expensive than many other hobbies. You never really forget the first time you leave the ground.

There's an aviation thread in A/T with a good mix of commercial pilots, flight instructors, and private pilots/enthusiasts, if you wanted to know more.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Fixed bollards can either be buried or bolted down to the ground depending on the application- usually the buried ones are a thick pipe that is buried about 6" with a filler like concrete.

Decorative and removable bollards exist as well and provide more of a visual barrier with no real ability to take an impact.

I've seen removables that go into a casement that's buried pretty deep, might not stop a loaded truck at full speed but seems like it'd do a good job against an idiot in a sedan.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lazyhound posted:

just gonna take a sharp bank with an open drink by the instrument panel, what could go wrong

bob-hoover-pouring-tea.gif

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah that still doesn't make any sense, because they're still within a boundary that determines that their house was within X township. Even when I lived 8 miles from a town in Buttfuck, Illinois, we were still considered part of the closest township in terms of emergency services and general mapping. Our fire departments were volunteer. Yeah, they'd have a hard time making it to the fire, but when you live that far out, you shouldn't expect much to be able to be done.

My grandparents' house burnt down in the late 80s, about 9 miles from town. Everyone and all animals escaped fine, but by the time the fire department got there, wasn't poo poo to save. That town got a cut of the taxes paid to the county to service rural properties, just like every other little town around it. But Illinois isn't Tennessee.

And if you're worried that there won't be a truck to respond because the main truck is on a farm somewhere putting out a grain bin fire or whatever, that's why there are more towns. It wasn't uncommon to see pump trucks come from other townships to help put poo poo out, because the county had the tax revenue to hand out. It was especially common to see multiple township departments during crop fires, but then, it was also common for all the local farmers to see the smoke and haul rear end over to help put it out, or harvest what could be pulled before the fire eats it.

Tennessee as a state is just a bunch of greedy fucks with an annoyingly misinterpreted as friendly accent.

So what I'm getting is that the state sucks, but the town itself did nothing wrong.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This is why you don't let the non-pilot stormtroopers joyride in the tie fighters.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's some rolling shutter alright.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Visual aid for identifying useful throttle positions.

Or perhaps it's just a convenient place to store them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Stomping on the gas will screw things up, putting a big pulling force on the tongue will pull it back towards the center faster and then its momentum will kick it out the other way even more.
Braking hard will screw things up even worse, since now the trailer is pushing the vehicle and will be pushed even further to the side.

What you want is to unload the tongue as much as possible - ideally, they're both just coasting along together, until they come to a stop. In some cases a little bit of gas might help with that (since your vehicle might, for example, want to slow down faster than the trailer due to air resistance, so giving a tiny bit of engine power can even that out), but since it's a bit of a panic situation and you're not really in a position to calmly assess just how much gas to give it, the safest option is to just ride it out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LifeSunDeath posted:

So, how the hell do you get off this head-injury machine?

You do the opposite of what you did to get on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Cool death video.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's a fidelity issue with time travel, you go too far back and poo poo just gets weird. But if they ever work it out, I'll go back get jesus on some anti-psychotic meds...his bullshit's lead to a lot of deaths.

Not his fault nobody actually listened to the stuff he was very explicit about, and just used his name to prop up their own agenda.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mann Gulch is the Cold Missouri Waters fire, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

No, Mann Gulch is north of Helena, Montana.

The Missouri River flows through Montana (among other places).

e: For reference, Cold Missouri Waters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgQNeGPJdcQ

Jabor fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 31, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In general, "people that make huge profits from the status quo" are the biggest obstacle to progress.

The fossil fuel industry impedes nuclear power far more than a few nimbys.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If your boots are comfy enough just wear them on the plane, then you can easily show that you've scrubbed them clean without needing to open your bags at all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Serephina posted:

While many people would see that as a flaw in modern medicine, I'd applaud the doctors for going down the list of probabilies and willing to admit to being wrong / being IN the wrong / not knowing everything instantly.

I still chuckle at the thought of various radiology technicians placating a patient "It's totally safe, I swear!" as they then dive behind a blast shield. OSHA indeed.

It is pretty much totally safe to get it done once and then not again for a good long while.

It would be rather not safe to get it done multiple times a day for your entire working career, hence why the people running the machine need the shielding.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Nenonen posted:

lol at the thought of paint on your helmet making it unusable, I suppose painters will have to replace their hardhats every day

If you've painted the whole thing that could be cause for concern. (For example, you might have taken a busted helmet and painted it to hide the bustedness).

No-one cares about little splashes of paint or anything like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It takes serious talent to keep that all in one piece and not pinch it off somewhere in the middle.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
don't pee in the fuel tank folks

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's the steam-powered rocket guy that got flat-earthers to fund his hobby, if that's the one you're thinking of.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OctaMurk posted:

Unlimited PTO of any kind results in people not actually using PTO because they are afraid to be judged by coworkers from what I've seen. Just combining vacation days and sick leave into "PTO" and then not counting dr/pt appointments against PTO is for the best I think, as long as that PTO pool is 3 or 4 weeks at minimum. If someone is going to be out so long they use up all their PTO, then they should be either working from home, on short term disability, or have another special arrangement worked out.

Ahahahaha

Do you seriously think the solution to make people actually take sick days when they're sick is to ... make them burn their vacation time to do it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Let’s talk about this guy’s weird reverse man tits. I’ll start: what’s up with those?

Wow, and you'd lasted up until now without admitting you'd never seen another human being naked.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LookieLoo posted:

What's the bus driver going to do? Reverse?

Yell at the kids to wait until the bus leaves before trying to cross.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rad-daddio posted:

Do EU countries address road wear and tear done by heavy commercial vehicles? I know they use similar trucks and loads to USA, I guess they probably tax those vehicles and companies at a higher rate?

In NZ, diesel vehicles pay Road User Charges based on their gross weight instead of a fuel tax.

They also get cheaper if you're spreading that weight over more axles (which causes less damage to the road).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If it was up the entire time you literally wouldn't be able to see the runway when landing.