Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
witchcraft it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Memento posted:

When the Apollo missions were going up to space, they didn't have the toilets figured out yet so they pooped in bags. The bags were treated with antibacterial gel inside to prevent the poop from forming gases and exploding the poop bags. After they pooped, they would have to massage the bag for about five minutes so that the poop was thoroughly mixed in with the gel.

Captain Jim Lovell, portrayed by Tom Hanks in the movie Apollo 13, didn't like doing this. So, being in charge of the mission, he delegated it.

the floating turd transcripts are gold.

"it ain't one of mine!"

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 26, 2021

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
(laughter)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm pretty sure I've seen old Ladas loaded with more than a dozen Roma in Slovakia back in the late 80's/early 90's.

And possibly some livestock.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm guessing that water intrusion caused this emulsification

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

LanceHunter posted:

That went from odd and amusing to "OH HOLY poo poo SOMEONE MIGHT DIE" super-fast.

shoulda used de-ionized water.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nth Doctor posted:

I would argue any hearse is a crossover vehicle

:golfclap:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

is this the social media equivalent of those forklift driver born on the third weekend of August shirts?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Are there any stories of children being sucked into those leaf vacuums?

You have to use those prairy dog vacuum trucks for small children due to the added weight.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Right on topic, check out Harold McCluskey, survivor of a plutonium accident at Hanford in the 70's and often called the most irradiated man alive or something.
He was working in a glove box which exploded and embedded radioactive glass and Americium into his body. He lived for quite a while after.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

EasilyConfused posted:

Maybe he shouldn't have tried to jam his entire body inside a glove box.

it was only his dick iirc

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lmao little close for comfort maybe.

I believe the term is critical geometry.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

GD_American posted:

Isn't plutonium so unbelievable toxic that the radiative effects don't even have to come into play to (eventually, down the road) kill them?

I believe the primary concern is that Pu is a good alpha emitter, which means it spews heavy particles at (relatively) low speeds, which wreck the poo poo out of the insides of people when ingested.
Great, so don't eat Plutonium you say. The usual uptake of alpha emitters happens via breathing and accidental ingestion of airborne particles. Bad stuff.

Anyone starting work at the Hanford site is required to undergo a whole-body count, which just determines the base activity of your body before you start working there. You get another one at the end of your employment contract.
The process takes 20-60 minutes, depending on the precise scan performed. The scans are performed in giant copper chambers with ~1.5 ft walls made from pre-1945 copper. It's very quiet in there.

If uptake of alpha emitters is suspected, the first step is to poo poo in a bag and submit it for examination.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 9, 2021

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I highly recommend LANL's "A Review Of Criticality Accidents" which covers a lot of ground. Most of it is from Russia, a couple in Japan, and a bunch at US facilities.

Going back to the picture Plutonium rods being placed too closely to one another - there was an accident with a Plutonium solution at LANL in 1958 that blasted a worker with an estimated 13,000 REM. Too much solution was put into a tank and when the worker peeked through a porthole-style window in the tank and started the stirrer, it flashed blue. Ooops.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Let's talk about what that "liquid processing waste" leftover from Plutonium production actually is (what Mayak dumped in rivers/lakes and Hanford still has in underground tanks).
The very basics of Pu production: Fuel a reactor with Uranium fuel rods and turn it on. The reactions will produce Pu somewhere down the chain. Leave the rods in the reactor for about a month, and maybe 4-5% of the original fuel is now Pu.
Then the irradiated, absolutely deadly radioactive fuel rods are pulled from the reactor and dissolved in nitric acid. That liquid is can be processed in a few different ways to get the Plutonium out of solution (though I think the PUrEx process is the most current one?).
The other 95% of screaming hot liquid fuel rod is now "liquid processing waste". LOL

Hanford also has had at least one self-boiling underground tank, but it's since been pumped empty. A lot of tanks have to be actively ventilated at all times.
I worked on the Hanford Waste Processing plant over a decade ago. The rad zones inside the HLW processing canyon were marked 300,000 Rad :)

The leftover waste at Hanford is incredibly complex. Over 1,200 organic compounds have been identified. Waste characterization is its own job discipline out there and at the National Lab right next to Hanford. There have been a bunch of venting events at the underground tank farms over the decades where workers smell weird poo poo outside and get sick. I worked with a health-physics tech on site at the time and he would routinely tell me that all the radiation in the world wasn't scary to him because it could be measured easily and reliably. He was much more concerned about unknown, uncharacterized chemicals with no way of detection. It gave me some perspective I guess.
Management loves to just call that bullshit, but they've started paying more attention ~2000 or so.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 11, 2021

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The cameras for the remote manipulators were insane. Behind lead glass lenses with radiation-hardened electronics, still expected be replaced regularly.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

gonadic io posted:

Don't worry it's all about hypersonic missiles now

The SuperDupers?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
now let's see the reverse on the Channel tunnel post-Brexit

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Bloop posted:

St Elmo's Wire

lol

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

GD_American posted:

They basically got every come-along and chainfall they could find, connected at points across the break, and hinged the bottom of the ship back shut, which is mind-bogglingly :psyduck: when you think of the numbers involved there in weight and force.

the front didn't fall off!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

extremely same these last 12 months tbh

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

a book I've found in our small office library:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Space Kablooey posted:

just a thought maybe they shouldnt let ships longer than the canal's width next time

Promote this person. That's the kind of independent, out of the box thinking we need

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
In conclusion, this is why Tom Clancy is the O.G. 9/11 perp

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What a strange plug design

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some active antennas get power over coax from the receiver but the most I've ever seen was 15V dc. 5V dc is more common now

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

shame on an IGA posted:

how many grams of midwestern child are in the average sack of flour

The government guarantees no less than 200ppm midwestern child content (grade B) per 50lb sack of flour.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

-Zydeco- posted:

I've been listening to a british naval history guy on youtube. Very dry, but interesting info.

I just found his vid on the Mark 14 torpedo. High point is when he relates the time a US submarine shot 15 of them at a japanese whaling boat, hit it 13 times, and had none of them actually go off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5Ru7Zu_1I

The performance of American torpedoes was hilariously bad for the first couple of years in the Pacific theatre.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'll mention my weird experiences with the railroad here. I do research work that involves energy and transportation sectors. Each sector and industry has its own feel and character. It's extremely easy to obtain all sorts of information, software, firmware, used or new devices in the electric grid sector and general industrial automation. Vendor reps are easy to talk to, want to sell you stuff, and share information.

It gets quite a bit harder in the oil and gas sector. You can still buy stuff and speak to vendors but obtaining information from operators gets a lot harder. These guys try to protect their infrastructure and are generally suspicious.

And then there is the railroad sector. It's the single most walled off garden I've ever seen. Railroad operators won't even answer calls or emails.
Vendors - if you can find out who they are - are extremely uncooperative. They might talk to you briefly just to tell you to gently caress off. Hardly any will even consider selling anything to anyone but railroad operators. There are very few vendors, they are tightly inter-linked and they all talk to each other.
In conclusion, railroad opsec is pretty good

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Lone Badger posted:

Will a properly-shielded isotope source still show up on roadside radiation detectors?

Depends on how well it is shielded. The Radiation Portal Monitors DOE commissioned after 9/11 and distributed nationwide and even globally are sensitive enough to pick up shipments of bananas and even granite. Those are typically considered spurious/nuisance alarms and get calibrated out.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

spent fuel cask?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Poz my mohole into discontinuity pls

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Elviscat posted:

I've also humped 50lb lead blankets for shielding

same but for shielding pipes in the drywell of a BWR during refueling.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BitBasher posted:

Pretty much one of these:

You have boomer brains, I'm terribly sorry.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
How are people this bad at driving?? Or you know, basic spatial awareness.

What the gently caress

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I like this guy's recoveries but that was one sketchy tow jfc.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I remember burger king had fiberglass slides. Smooth on the inside but the outside was pretty rough. Also they were a fiberglass stainless steel combo for the burning heat and friction combo in that lovely orange brown color scheme they had.

Oh man, when I was a kid I made the horrible mistake of using prefab fiber glass panels as a slide. My rear end had fiber splinters for a while :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

A Tesla really is just a very unreliable suicide booth isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Owen played lead role in a Chris Roberts (Star Citizen!) video game.

it was a good game tho