Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Chainmail gloves are great if you're a rookie at shucking oysters.

Buying oysters in a landlocked state breastaurant should be an osha violation of its' own though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I shucked them in Tennessee when I cooked in a titstaurant. They were... not the freshest.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't know if they do... anymore.

But yes, while I worked there, they did. That's been some years now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's pulling a trailer.

If you look closely you can see that the trailer it's pulling is a single axle, only one set of wheels dragging along behind.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 29, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yes it is.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CannonFodder posted:

Two crows are an attempted murder, not two magpies.

Crows and magpies are both in the corvid family, so murder can apply, but magpie flocks are usually called tidings. A tiding of magpies. Like a wave of assholes.

https://researchmaniacs.com/CollectiveNouns/Animals/What-is-a-group-of-Magpies-called.html

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Huh, learn something new every day. Didn't realize they weren't the same as our magpies.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bad Munki posted:

Have some nice Sunday tractorfuckling with some bonus cranefuckling thrown in to spice things up:

https://i.imgur.com/BxmV83o.gifv

Kinky!

Massey Ferguson, pffft. Growing up on a farm, the only time I saw a Massey was at a tractor/implement show (usually an antique), or in pieces in a shed.

Crane appears to be fine, though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kate Wagner needs to go over Groverhaus. Surely she's seen the pictures.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ahh. It's so satisfying watching cops greatly increase their lead exposure in confined spaces for target practice.

I've never been fond of indoor ranges. Used to go to one a few years back, but there's just no way to make shooting indoors feel comfortable to me. Especially if they let people in with shotguns who want to use birdshot on a paper zombie target. That place shut down a year or two ago.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Deteriorata posted:

Sinkhole opens in China, bus falls in, hilarity ensues:

https://i.imgur.com/oG5Ywe4.mp4

Sorry for size, can't seem to edit it.

If that's the one I vaguely remember reading about earlier, it killed a few people too.

E: at least six

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/14/china-sinkhole-swallows-bus/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are, and they're loving terrible.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/ posted:

Firefighters in rural Tennessee let a home burn to the ground last week because the homeowner hadn't paid a $75 fee.

Gene Cranick of Obion County and his family lost all of their possessions in the Sept. 29 fire, along with three dogs and a cat. 

"They could have been saved if they had put water on it, but they didn't do it," Cranick told MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ika posted:

Is that the story where the put out a fire two times and each time said "next time you really have to have paid first" or a different one?

No, this is the one where the fire department comes to put out the fire on the fence because the neighbors were paid up, but let this familys' house burn because of a $75 fee that wasn't paid.

One of the owners' sons was arrested for attacking the fire chief, who was present, for letting it burn.

Tennessee is a loving shithole on par with Florida and Mississippi. Don't ever move there.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax, like Florida and some other shithole states. They have 9.25% sales tax in the majority of their counties, though.

E: also Tennessee made it so you can barter with your doctor over payment a few years back. "Here doc, take my 1987 Chevy Celebrity for fixin ma bunion."

KoRMaK posted:

I'm kind of wondering what kind of person doesnt pay the fire dept fee if you are in a county like that tho

Well, being Tennessee, it was the product of a piss poor public education, probably with a confederate flag on his lawn and a bunch of "don't tread on me" poo poo on his truck.

Given the time period, I wager he had at least two tea party stickers on his truck too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 16, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'd like to know how he got the ladders in there in the first place.

The door behind the ladder on the left.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Iron Crowned posted:

That town is called Colorado Springs

Yes. And it sucks here too.

But we have weed and mountains, so that makes up enough for me. And the Springs sits higher in elevation that any "mountain" in Tennessee. I'm physically and physiologically higher here than anyone in Tennessee.

I spent 15 years in Tennessee so maybe I'm just biased. It's a garbage state.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Phanatic posted:

Left unsaid was that this fire occurred outside the the town being serviced by the volunteer fire department. The town had long said to areas of the surrounding county "If you want to subscribe to our volunteer fire department, you can, it's $75/year to cover the additional costs of responding to calls that aren't even in their area of responsibility."

Given that they'd already responded to the call and were *right there* it's pretty dumb and totally indefensible that they didn't put the fire out until it spread beyond the property boundary, but it's a volunteer force, it exists to serve the town. It costs money to respond to calls, and if the firefighters are out responding to a call out of town what happens when the'res a call in the town? To cover a larger area costs more money, the pool of money and volunteers comes from the residents of the town. The town can't just tax the people who don't live in the town to pay for fire protection and hire more dudes, because those people don't live in the town. What would you rather the town do? Just withdraw the offer completely and stop offering the subscription service?

Again: This was not a private or for-profit fire department. It was a volunteer fire department, just like most of the rest of them in most of the towns across the country.

FWIW, the town changed things so that their department will respond to all calls within 5 miles of the city limits. If it turns out you don't have the subscription and they need to put your house out, they will, but it'll cost $3500:

https://www.npr.org/2012/03/18/148858042/tenn-town-fights-fire-with-money

Yeah that still doesn't make any sense, because they're still within a boundary that determines that their house was within X township. Even when I lived 8 miles from a town in Buttfuck, Illinois, we were still considered part of the closest township in terms of emergency services and general mapping. Our fire departments were volunteer. Yeah, they'd have a hard time making it to the fire, but when you live that far out, you shouldn't expect much to be able to be done.

My grandparents' house burnt down in the late 80s, about 9 miles from town. Everyone and all animals escaped fine, but by the time the fire department got there, wasn't poo poo to save. That town got a cut of the taxes paid to the county to service rural properties, just like every other little town around it. But Illinois isn't Tennessee.

And if you're worried that there won't be a truck to respond because the main truck is on a farm somewhere putting out a grain bin fire or whatever, that's why there are more towns. It wasn't uncommon to see pump trucks come from other townships to help put poo poo out, because the county had the tax revenue to hand out. It was especially common to see multiple township departments during crop fires, but then, it was also common for all the local farmers to see the smoke and haul rear end over to help put it out, or harvest what could be pulled before the fire eats it.

Tennessee as a state is just a bunch of greedy fucks with an annoyingly misinterpreted as friendly accent.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jabor posted:

So what I'm getting is that the state sucks, but the town itself did nothing wrong.

The town itself sucks too, for letting that guys' house continue to burn and occasionally spritzing the fence and trees to keep it from spreading to a neighbor.

Volunteer state my rear end.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Phanatic posted:

How do you figure? South Fulton is a city, not a township. They lived outside the city. Tennessee does not have townships.

So it sounds like that model of operation didn't work all that well for your grandparents. Maybe if there'd been a subscription service where people like your grandparents could have paid an annual fee to the city for fire services there'd have been more resources and response time would have been faster.

No one was getting there faster. What part of "9 miles from the closest town" isn't getting through your head? The neighbors, all two of them, watched while it went up. Had they been within five miles of the actual, phsyical town, maybe the ground floor could have been saved. Nine miles out on grain farm chip and tar roads after rousing everyone at 1am? Nah. It's just a fact you accept living that far away. And they were fine with that. The fire department showed up anyhow, there wasn't poo poo to save by then.

Not putting out that dudes' house because he didn't pay a fee, to just sit and watch it burn? That's a dick move. They had time to salvage something and they did nothing.

And in terms of townships/cities, it's the same thing. Got a charter, got a zip code and a post office. If your house falls under that zip code, you're that towns' problem. Houses out in the middle of nowhere have addresses, with zip codes, for towns that they technically belong to.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 16, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well now, it is Russia. Maybe that's good enough for them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well then that sucks for him. And is a quality example of why you shouldn't live in Tennessee. And not all counties in Tennessee seem to follow that pattern, mostly because of Shelby and Davidson counties gently caress up trends. They have a tax base though, compared to the backwoods sticks that make up most of the state.

The county I grew up in up in Illinois didn't provide fire service. It provided funding for fire services to the towns within. The towns themselves had to get trucks, volunteers, etc. But it's been 20 years since I lived up there, maybe they've FYGM'd themselves into the same corner.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I figured the danger factor made it OSHA.

It also reminded me of the time or two me and my idiot friends used a come-along to tow a non-working vehicle behind another vehicle in town. I piloted the vehicle being towed, and having to steer and brake an unpowered vehicle without ramming the vehicle in front of me or tearing off the tow hitch was a bit stressful. Still, we accomplished the task.

You need to tie some tires to the front of the towed car, and on the bumper of the towing car. Used to do that as a teenager with friends cars when I had to drag them home.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mozi posted:

just wait until they put it in autopilot and it suddenly accelerates to light speed directly into a black hole

Exploring and innovating the economies of the universe.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ahhh, yes. I've been there. That's the moment you realize why there's a bucket of soap/slicky somewhere in the shop and you should have greased the beads.

He's not at the "fall in the pit" step yet. Another learning experience in shop safety.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, the sledge is to break the bead off the rim.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Explosionface posted:

I have a friend who worked as a picker years ago. The facility he was in was several buildings stitched together so there weren't any easy routes from one end to another. It was all one soul killing labyrinth and missing a single beat hurt your pick rate and thus your worth. Then there were the slow times when the pick orders were obviously being skewed so you never had idle time.

Then there was the time he found the bin for the triple clit flicker and that's a product name that lives in our hearts to this day.

I worked pick for six months. It's boring, a ton of walking, but otherwise I never had a problem keeping up with my quota and usually overshot it. The job would be a lot better if you could take your phone and headphones in.

Seriously, it's not a terrible job. If you're a fatty that doesn't want to change, maybe take a job that doesn't have you walking 10+ miles a day. Or take it and lose the weight, it's paid cardio. If you can't hack pick, there's pack and pack-out (loading bins with product) that you can request transferring to, but I hate sitting in the same place for long periods of time.

My only gripe is breaks were short if you had to walk from the far corners of the warehouse. You lose a cigarette of time walking from/to your last pick location. They could always pay better too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also no lawnmower in the last 40 years has been a two stroke

Two strokes are still used for weed eaters, augers, tillers, blowers, etc. Also dirt bikes and other recreational poo poo.

Also giant diesels like Detroit V-series that are used in a shitload of military trucks, like HEMTTs, PLSs, and HET truck that tows around Abrams. But diesel fuel is essentially the engine lubricant in those instead of additional oil.

Two stroke isn't dead, it has several niches.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Amazon is pretty much the largest sex toy retailer in the world. I think they even have an AmazonBasics branded toys.

When I worked pick in TN, the religious people would throw a goddamn hissy fit about grabbing a dildo from a bin. They're packaged so you don't know what it looks like (black bags or blackout packaging), but you know what it is the second you grab it. Jesus' bitches would go cry to the pick desk that they didn't want to touch those diabolical objects and they had to sort those picks out to people who didn't give a poo poo.

They were usually the same people who waddled around at a slow pace, nowhere near quota, and would quit a week later because their feet were toast from carrying their fat asses around the warehouse. Just drama queen bitches.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's because Tennessee is full of loving baptist prudes that would rather "donate to Israel" to bring about the apocalypse than touch a piece of silicone. I assume the same happens in other amazon warehouses, but the South is full of people who get pissy about little things no one else cares about.

I've worked way worse jobs in way shittier places, grabbing a rubber dick out of a box doesn't remotely effect me. poo poo, during my army stint as a mechanic, I filled a condom with silicone sealant, left it in a shipping container for a month of Iraqi summer heat, then we (like, a dozen troops) played hot potato with the drat thing. It smelled horrible from baking in the heat, so we would hide it amongst other peoples' gear to get a rise out of them.

We also filled a guys' room with maxipads and tampons. So many people and church groups sent feminine hygiene products as "any soldier" packages that we'd accumulated thousands of the drat things well after our companys' women stocked up, so we had to do something with them. Pranks were just the easiest thing to come to mind.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I get all of my dildos and other depraved sex toys directly from Amazon because I know they have a strict zero return policy on them. I know it's killing honest small sex shop owners but you never know if someone has taken a gadget for a test drive when you buy from one of them.

I worked at an adult store as my first job back out of the army, nine months in a Lion's Den (usually found along interstates, a few city stores though). We threw returns away unless they were DVDs. Just left it in the bag the customer returned the item in and chucked it in the dumpster at the end of the night.

The mark-up on sex toys at that point (over a decade ago) was 300-500%. DVDs were anywhere from 100% to 2000% marked up. If anyone brought a toy back, it was just easier to throw it away and write it off taxes than deal with customers asking if it was a return. DVDs were shrink wrapped back in their cases and put right back on the shelf.

If it was a big item that the company didn't want to write off, like, it cost more than $100 from the vendor, we'd ship it back as used/defective and get a credit. That was pretty rare though.

It was a fun job for a while, but by the six month mark, it was dreadfully boring.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Goodpancakes posted:

I remember a guy in the military who had a weird phobia of menstrual stuff. Any pad or tampon and this guy had a tremendous stress reaction. It didn't need to be used, it could be new and in the bag and this guy would lose it. People found out about it and hijinks would ensue. I wonder where the gently caress that phobia came from

This is exactly the kind of stuff we would do. Anything to make someone sensitive antsy and get their skin crawling. Put ketchup on that maxipad your stick to their wall and you're guaranteed to hear dry heaves when they get back.

I had a lot of fun in Iraq. Lots of misery, too, but it wasn't hard to have some fun with people.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Alkydere posted:

Anyways, for something actually OSHA, one of the packers we picked up during the Corona madness apparently does not like wearing their shoes at work. In a warehouse. Granted they're working at a work station not walking about where something can be dropped or run over his/her feet but...still. That means you're standing around, either barefoot or in your socks, on a grody as gently caress 4 year old ergo mat :gonk:. If your shoes suck that much, get new ones!

I don't know who it is, but the manager has called it out at least twice over the PA system for our department.

I used to wear my ratty old trail runner shoes, without socks, mostly with the back ankle support smashed down so I could just slip them on/off whenever. I was called out for it a few times. Also my foot long wizard beard garnered calls for a hair tie. Got more annoyed with the Dumbledore nickname than anything else there. I was at peak personal hippie when I worked there, including smoking weed on my lunch break.

Barefoot on polished concrete feels great. I grew up on a grain farm, barefoot is a way of life. Gotta build those callouses by walking on gravel. Yeah, it's dirty and all that, but it's not like you're walking on broken glass and needles. Just wash them at the end of the day, it's not that hard. And don't go barefoot if you have cuts on your dainty feet.

I'm essentially my own walking OSHA hazard, but at least I have my 10 card. Used to have an MSHA card too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well, to be fair, they emphasize "closed toe shoes" more than "no slip-ons" and I could always pop the heels back up. I was always wearing an old pair of Merrell trail runners.

I definitely knew better, but didn't care because the bulk of activity on the pick floors was just pickers and pack-out.

An OSHA inspector would be disappointed with how many people would fail a random drug test in any warehouse, too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, and refusing to take one is usually immediate termination.

'Murica.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've gone the route of taking jobs that don't drug test. That's led me to an adult store, several bar kitchens, small lawn maintenance companies, and weed farms.

I need to get another weed farm job, but they don't like paying more than minimum wage here, so they can get hosed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Saliva tests pop for use within 48-72 hours, they don't tell you the last time someone smokes. You could smoke right after work on friday, abstain for the weekend, and still test hot monday.

Honestly potheads aren't a big deal. It's the alcoholics, methheads and opiate junkies that are concerning.

I drove a forklift at one warehouse (not amazon) stoned all the time for a variety of reasons, the major one being that I was the only one that knew how to use it. It was a small place, 4 person warehouse, and the lift was older than the youngest guy there. I always take my time on equipment, never knocked poo poo over, worst I'd do is forget to charge the battery.

I'll admit it wasn't very smart, but my tolerance to weed was hilariously high so it rarely did more than take an edge off. Never broke out into a hippie jam fest or an afternoon nap in the racks. Still a dumb thing to do though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

zedprime posted:

Is that right? I thought they were the NORML encouraged tests and more in a range of 24 hours (still not great) if you aren't absolutely ripped and skipping oral hygiene.

They've probably improved since I last took one like, four years ago, but they would definitely pop hot if you're a heavy weed smoker well past a 24 hour break.

They're also stupid easy to defeat, just sip some water or soda a few minutes prior and hold a bit in your mouth and soak the stick with that rather than saliva. Granted it will mix with your saliva over those couple minutes, but it will still allow you to pass.

As always, when dealing with drug tests that you stand a chance at manipulating, dilution is the solution to the pollution.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lou Takki posted:

Also see the cog railway near Manitou Springs, CO

Or don't, because it's constantly broke down for some reason ot another.

Do climb the Manitou Incline though, first day here just go climb that hill. And take the trail back down, Incline is one way only for a good reason.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Memento posted:

It's about the concentration limits of the metabolites. My workplace does 50 (I think it's nanograms/millilitre of blood) and that will detect if you've smoked up that morning, but if you're at least 12 hours removed from smoking you should be fine on the test, and will definitely be fine to do your job. Some places, like I've heard of athletic blood tests for combat sports will detect down to 15ng/mL, which because of the long tail of THC metabolites in people's system, will pop someone if they've smoked in the last 4-5 days, which is bullshit.

Couple more zeros there, it's nanograms per microliter. (E: I just realized you were talking about blood, not urine, my bad)

And if you smoke heavily, getting below 50ng/microliter is a stretch without purposeful dilution. 3L of water, 1500mg of creatine, and 100mg of vitamin B complex 2-3 hours before a whiz quiz and several pre-test pisses was my routine to beat piss tests. Never give your first piss of the day (army taught me this, they love getting you early), never give beginning of the stream, and if no one is watching, just use a bottle of synthetic piss rubber-banded to a hand warmer packet Ace bandage wrapped to your thigh.

My last year in the army was practiced professionalism for passing piss tests. That was over a decade ago, but I'm sure the 50ng threshold is still a thing, secondary confirmation at 15ng and zero. Also helps to know a secret squirrel that works at brigade or battalion level.

If the army didn't give a gently caress about weed, I would have never left, and probably worked out more.

I took one hair follicle test. It was 1999 and for Sports Authority. To sell shoes for $7/hr. Lame.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
NHTSA Drug Facts Sheet PDF

Top of page 8

quote:

`. Joints and blunts are often laced with adulterants including PCP or crack cocaine.
Joints can also be dipped in liquid PCP or in codeine cough syrup. Marijuana is also
orally ingested.

Wait, what?

Keep in mind this was around 2004.