Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The greatest surprise in that impressive shitshow is how it appears nobody got hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TTerrible posted:

I really did not enjoy him packing the void with black powder and then placing it on top of another anvil. Wiggling it. While bending directly over it. Surely he has to be grinding some black powder residue between the two anvils when he does that?

:whitewater:

You can mill black powder in a ball mill - it takes an ignition source to set it off, and "merely" grinding it between steel surfaces should not do it. Not that I'd be comfortable with it, either.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

What is that fruit/vegetable at the end, and what kind of spices/sauce is that?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

zedprime posted:

The noodle and the mango give off serious beginner who think they are good vibes.

Looks like mango, tajin, and citrus juice. Its like the fresh version of mexican mango candies

A-hah. I should mention that I'm in northern europe; "Mexican mango candy" (or the concept of fruit spices) is not a thing that has made it over here. Sounds kind of nice, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

LifeSunDeath posted:

watching some trainhopping vids and the guy's usual insanely dangerous climbing on roofs is outshined by sitting right over the wheels of this train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9BQ4eLRXH0

Ha, I have thought about posting Shiey in here before, but concluded that since he seems to know exactly what he is doing, and that thing is deliberately outside the rules, it's sort of borderline. The train wheel thing is a different kind of risk than his usual "climbing up a bridge tower in sandals", though - and more in the thread spirit. :)

Also, I never connected that "until" is just Norwegian "inntil" with some vowel drift. ("Inntil" has remained "close to" in Norwegian - while plain "til" means, among other things, "until".)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Boiled Water posted:

Oh hey its post 1 out of two of why I don't work in food industry. The other post is so horrifying I'd rather not think about it, let alone post about the tuna cannery incident. I remembered it being in Thailand, but turns out my memory is dead wrong, it took place in Santa Fe (and is horrible to think of): https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/12/bumble-bee-foods-settlement-man-cooked-death-tuna .

I recommend not clicking that link.

Having read this one before, I second the recommendation.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cody is ... kind of an engineer at heart, in the "knows a fair bit of theory, can build things, has strangely naive blind spots in practice" sense.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Was that really dry-stacked leca, or am I just not seeing the mortar? He seems to be holding a trowel, but still. Not that I'd trust a freestanding single depth wall of it either way.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 19, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I seem to remember that 1hp is a bit high by modern horse- and welfare standards, but that may just be a case of having better farm horses back when they were your primary choice.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dip Viscous posted:

Low numbers or not, the covid-era videos where Adam Savage just builds normal-assed furniture are the most fascinating things he's ever done.

Sounds like the youtube videos James May did after he left Top Gear - I'd love more videos of him rebuilding random things in his garage.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I sporadically see them on the road, so I assume there is some niche for them.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I assume the rules around that are more about the surviving family finding it a bit disturbing when you repurpose their dead dad as a punch basin pedestal.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

CommieGIR posted:

The sample disk is Radium metal.

So, uh, what's the safe amount of radium metal to have laying around?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh, but management was worried about theft during the cooling period so one middle manager went to harbor freight and bought a padlock and chain for the doors with just one key that he keeps in his pocket, and he had left early to catch a showing of Herbie Goes Bananas. Add in how the night janitor had stored a crate of paint leftovers and insecticides in a booth that had been unused for half a year and produced toxic smoke when heated, and ...

I may have read too many accident reports.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bit tame for a modern Bond, they would need to hide seismic charges that redirects the canal to flood Cairo while also hurting the economy.

Though that may be a bit too close to A View to a Kill.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

By popular demand posted:

I don't suppose OSHA inspector get an on-site unplanned demonstration like that often Please tell me they don't.

Why was he even standing there, the visibility isn't worse outside the pit and if weight was required he could have used rocks.

Also, what are they planning to build on that? The depth seems a bit much for that surface area, unless he's building a TV tower on it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

deoju posted:

Yeah, but having coats dangle across a radiator is also OSHA.

Why? I don't think I've ever run into one that was hot enough to be a touch risk, let alone fire or other destruction. I mean, they run the bare hot water pipes where children could grab them; it's not exactly superheated steam in there. The worst that could happen is a chocolate/pocket incident.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mine tailings are presumably just the rock you dug out minus one of the component minerals. Is it fine to stuff it back into unproductive mineshafts, or does the increased drainage from the tunnels and the fracturing of the rock make that problematic?

As for the superfund apartments, I wonder - if they did the cleanup job properly, the new apartments could plausibly be better than the properties downwind outside the cleanup area, and you may get good deal just because it scares off some buyers. On the other hand, that's a big if.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jabor posted:

Often times the tailings also include traces of nasty stuff used in the process of extracting the desired product - for example gold mine tailings having a bunch of mercury and cyanide.

Right, that's kind of important. I was wondering more about the minerals where you can do mechanical separation (first), so you have "clean" tailings - those can still leech all sorts of things you don't want in your water, but on the other hand they're literally just rocks out of the ground. It's kind of a stupid question, but I was honestly just wondering if putting them back in the ground would be good enough, or if the increased water permeability makes that a bad enough idea that it may be better to keep them in a pile you can monitor.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

stratdax posted:

This post is pissing me off. "Presumably". All you have to do is one google search. You think mines just.. take one element out of the rock, and all they're left with is just rock? And no byproducts? What the hell.

Read some random links at least.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/tailings-ponds-for-mining-and-oilsands-waste-faqs-1.2727889
https://www.pembina.org/blog/tailings-ponds-worst-yet-come
https://www.thestar.com/news/atkinsonseries/2015/09/04/tailings-ponds-a-toxic-legacy-of-albertas-oilsands.html

Depending entirely on the mine type, the first stage of ore refining can be fairly simple. There is an old molybdenum mine up near our cabin that closed in the 70s, for instance. The first step there was floatation: grind the ore to sand, churn it in water. Molybdenum sulfide will apparently stick to the bubbles and end up in the froth, while most of the uninteresting minerals stay in the water; a few stages of this will get you much purer ore. Reading about it, you can apparently get better separation from other sulfides in a basic environment, so you can add lime; some modern frothers use xanthan gum based foams. Neither seems to have been in use at this specific mine, but it's not clear.

Anyway. This means your first, and by far largest, waste stream is effectively "everything that was in your ore, minus the few % of molybdenum sulfide". (Possibly with lime and/or organic thickeners). Which is why said mine has a huge sand bank outside now, slowly releasing whatever else was in the ore into a river.

Other minerals have other processes - "use an overgrown tomato sorter to kick rocks that look wrong in X-ray to the waste belt" is apparently common enough that I've seen ads for the sorter machines on youtube. This, again, means you get a waste stream of rubble that doesn't contain enough of your ore - but could still leech who knows what.

Which brings me back, again, to: would it, as a general idea, be ok to stuff that sort of material back into the mine shafts, or is that just asking for so much trouble it's actually preferable to keep it where you can easily keep an eye on it?

E: obviously, processes that add chemicals change the problem - but there are enough types of tailings that are literally "what's left" and still problematic.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 5, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Right, those are very good points.

E:

Platystemon posted:

It’s called “stowing” and it’s a thing in some mines.

Huh, right - so "niche, but sometimes". Good enough for me. A quick google brings up a lot of coal mines; I guess they have a low waste fraction?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 5, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Memento posted:

Yeah once you've removed the overburden on a coal mine (everything on top of it that's not coal) the coal deposit itself is effectively 100% coal.

Of course, coal as a substance contains all sorts of wonderful things like sulphur, thorium, strontium and all manner of heavy metals, which are neatly released into the environment when you burn it.

Which is also interesting - I don't think modern plant matter has the same concentration of heavy metals and other fun? Is this a case of the already-transformed coal filtering it out from ground water, or were the relevant plants more "apex predator" style pollutant concentrators? Something else?

... you don't have to answer that, I can read about coal (and the heavy metal content of modern biomass) on my own.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The Lone Badger posted:

In Australia it's OH&S (Occupation Health & Safety).

Arbeidstilsynet here - literally the work-to-lookers, though I guess something like Workplace Monitor or Employment Watchdog would be more idiomatic. They also handle general employment law, so "this will cut someone's head off" and "this contract demands illegal working hours" are two working groups within the same organisation. I'm not sure if that makes any practical difference.

There is also DSB - Direktoratet for Samfunnssikkerhet og Beredskap (the directorate of societal safety and preparedness), who write the rules on transporting and working with the different hazard diamond materials, electrical systems, emergency services, and generally all aspects of "try to keep the country from burning down or blowing up".

As I understand it, this means it's on Arbeidstilsynet to point out that your workplace doesn't follow applicable rules, while the DSB writes the rules for some of the specific hazards- and can do their own inspections, sort of like the ATF.

e: Norway.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 8, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

moparacker posted:

I like how the one guy puts the jack spacers (I can't recall their proper name) on the cylinder and then doesn't relieve the hydraulic pressure to properly use them.

At least they should still catch the weight if the pressure fails, I hope?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/birkirh/status/1381369002006622218

My Icelandic isn't as sharp as it could be but I think that translates to "the floor is lava NG+"

My Icelandic is only marginally better than yours, but some quick guessing and looking up a few words, it's nothing too surprising :
"This video by Anitú Ólafar Jónsdóttur is imo the greatest video of this eruption".

Literally [This] mind/memory - band hers Anita is atleast hold I greatest memoryband from this eruption. [I think gos is also the root of geyser?].

Icelandic is fun - I can't read it, but it shares so much with Norwegian it's like a puzzle that makes perfect sense after you've solved it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Memento posted:

Oh I was completely joking, I read and speak no Icelandic at all. I will defer to someone named Computer viking in these cases every single time.

I assumed as much - my Icelandic is only marginally better than that. :)
(Speaking Norwegian mostly means I can look at a translation and go "Ooh, that makes sense".)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I was about to link that, yeah. The Condeep platforms are by far the most impressive thing ever built in Norway - and Troll A remains the tallest structure to ever be moved.

(They tow it completely empty, and then lower it to the bottom by letting water into some parts of the structure, IIRC. You can still go down into the legs, though - somewhere on youtube there is a video of Katie Melua doing a concert down at ocean floor depth inside one leg.)

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YtCHHpZNxo

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 15, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, yeah.

I can't help but think it looks worryingly top-heavy for towing like that, even when I logically know how most of the structure is under water. Having that many towboats surrounding it in such a wide fan seems like a sensible precaution. :)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In this case, it's refreshingly simple: hydrocarbons are made of hydrogen and carbon (only). They are the major components of oil and natural gas. As an example, methane is the simplest possible hydrocarbon: one carbon, four hydrogen around it.

HF, hydrogen fluoride, is even smaller: one hydrogen bonded (loosely) to one fluor.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In one way that's understandable: having pilots that are comfortable doing all sorts of non-regulation, difficult maneuvers could be useful in certain situations. More so in an air force than civilian flying, at least.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ah, another case of "what did they think would happen?"

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My primary school had a house rule that catching a ball in your hat was of equal value to catching it onehanded before it hit the ground - which is to say, better than a twohanded catch.

Don't ask me to try and map Norwegian playground ball games to US equivalent, but it was vaguely in the baseball family.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Azathoth posted:

is the player like double put and has to sit out the rest of recess or something?

IIRC - and it's been literally thirty years - there were two ways to get to an infield/outfield swap: either the normal way of running out of possible batters, or by the outfield getting enough fancy no-bounce catching points.
I think the outfield needed to hit a running player by throwing the ball at them to stop them, but a fancy catch ... probably also counted? As I said, it's been a while.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 20, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Memento posted:

Cricket exists for two reasons: so that middle aged fat men can refer to themselves as athletes, and so that you can have something on in the background while you put yourself into a food and beer coma on Boxing Day

Which I understand is basically the same reason Baseball is the "national pastime" in the USA

Ah, like ski jumping.

E: Well, the second half. Fat middle aged men do not, in general, take up ski jumping.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 20, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PainterofCrap posted:

Were you playing rounders? Short bat, carry it with you around the bases?

Baseball-ish bat (typically made in woodworking class), and you left it behind when you ran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%A4nnboll seems fairly close, though I'm sure there were at least two distinct rule sets floating around, and assorted house rules.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 20, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The sponsorskip addon for firefox is also quite nice.

Edit: nvm, that's literally what you linked and I just misremembered the name.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I wouldn't be surprised if it damaged the camera sensor. Better that than your eyes, but I'd suggest using a phone that no longer gets updates.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have always thought piped gas sounds like a safety hazard right out of dystopian steampunk. I don't know if that's the selection bias from only hearing about it when it goes wrong, or if you all are just too familiar with it to notice.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On one hand, true. On the other hand, a slow electricity leak into my basement doesn't turn my house into a bomb, and accidentally digging into electrical mains does not carry an overhanging risk of levelling the entire city block.

(Also, brushing your hand over 230V may be both risky and unpleasant, but I've done it enough times to confirm that it won't instagib you either.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's fair. Punching through something like a long distance HVDC cable would be better experienced as a youtube documentary a year or two after the crater calms down.

I'm just saying that if we had never had piped gas outside industrial settings before, we would have looked at it with some distrust if it were suggested today.