Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
someone post all the shirt images people made. also the thread gang tag please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Wall Balls posted:

reposting in the new thread for posterity

i want to hear the looney toons rear end BOIOIOING sound effect that made springing out. then the hans moleman "hit in the balls by a football" noise. i will pay $5.37 for this privilege.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Zarin posted:

You say that, but I just read the Bathroom Remodel thread so I know how that'll end :P

When I say "low-volume", I mean that I do it for both the exercise portion, and the fact that I like to have bonfires (well, maybe more like campfires, idk) from Fall through Spring. I'm not actually heating my house with it, so it's basically just a hobby.

That being said, I have to agree - I think my favorite spring-loaded one was this ancient Russian guy's contraption:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmYk_OFvFlM

This isn't the video I first saw about it, but it was the only one I could find at the moment.

I do know how to weld, though, so if I ever end up with a house with at least a half-acre plot, I'll likely end up doing some sort of assembly project.

post an ad in the paper for DEAD TREE REMOVAL and let the liabilty sell itself to you!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Zarin posted:

You jest, but if I had enough money to acquire the proper equipment, I would definitely do that as a side-gig. Although like all manual labor, I'm sure it'd tear my body up relatively quickly, so it's hard to say how long I would even put up with doing it as a side-gig.

It's certainly more engaging to me than pushing numbers around in spreadsheets, though, I'll give it that.

you'll probably need less equipment than you think, your region is probably experiencing a mass die-off of street trees and you'll be doing a public service if you assist in storm clean-up. A hand saw and a flat bed to move the wood in, you're golden.

Hell, if you reach out to the public service dept of your city and ask about volunteering for street debrits removal, they'll probably call you when they've got more than they can handle.

Twice this year alone I had to ask a neighbor to haul off a log which was keeping me from getting to the comic store to pick up my monthly hentai crate, it's a real market.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
oh if you've got EAB good news, in five years the evergreens will get decimated by woody adelgid also.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
like honestly we're past the point where forests are a net carbon negative. sequestration needs to focus on rapid growth grasslands to prevent futher soil degridation at a mimimum, building up to wildflower pasture within 1-2 years.

edit- street pressure and pollution also does a number on conifers, apropos of nothing else. rising water table and increased salinity near the coast, also.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
you've got less than a decade. good luck.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
those FOOLS! you're supposed to load it into a barrel winched 14 stories up!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

shame on an IGA posted:

lmfao holy poo poo holy poo poo oh my god I'm sitting at a bar next to a couple FM Global salesmen and one of them is trying to figure out whether he wrote the policy on that Texas Petroleum Corp. plant that blew up and more importantly if it will impact his bonus

prolly a lil late to say this but if any of you are ever in a position to eavesdrop on corporate bullshit in public, record it on your phone and share it for the world to get pissed with.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

PurpleXVI posted:

Welcome to 3F, basically our largest and most militant labour union. They also assist non-unionized foreign workers that are preyed upon by their employers(often housed in absolute hovels, paid almost nothing, have their passports taken away, etc. after being promised unionized rates and treatment prior to coming to Denmark) with getting unioned up and legally protected.

They are very, very good lads.

This has brought a tear to my eye. Time to ping my lead about getting put on the negotiating committee.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
#1 threat to workers in this and every century remains unchanged.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
meanwhile, UPS management rushes to the scene, medicine bags in hand, screaming IS THE TRUCK OKAY?!!?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

wesleywillis posted:

I like to think that the dude was somewhere on the Upside Down and slipped in to a large opening and slid down inside.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

i'm not up on my memes, is this Euro Truck Simulator or Star Citizen?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i make my intergalactic frog-puppet piss its explosive piss into an explosion-proof refining tank, which gives me enough Gigafuel to knock a few parsecs off my Kessel Spice Mine run

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
at what point do u evacuate an "Entire loving Country"?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Cartoon Man posted:

The cruise ships just keep getting bigger and bigger and their Caribbean ports weren’t designed with their size in mind.

that;s why they sell barrels of lubricant on amazon.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

`Nemesis posted:

For the people who don't know this poo poo, can we get a quick breakdown on this Jerry dude? He seems incompetent / indifferent to safe practices, but that's all I can suss out.

I'm sure he came up in the last thread, he's a daredevil aviation guy, I think? https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/bzgsls/jerry_and_air_wagner_at_it_again/ looks like he just posts videos of himself being stupid and violating regulations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
school's closed for an extra week cuz some engineering student who hid in the dorms over xmas break did a YouTube Science Experiment and burned up a microwave trying to make grape plasma

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
oh yeah they got cute, dark, strange, grape, baja blast, illegal party toilet, creepy roomate, and Crystal Pepsi.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if you tour their facility you can try experimental flavors like "sleeping in your childhood room as an adult" and "late to a medical procedure you forgot about."

Bad Munki posted:

You say that but you have to recognize that they were listed in descending order of how good they taste.

thank you, it means a lot to me that you noticed.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Spaced God posted:

Maybe not technically OHSA but definitely ohshit, from our friends at the aeronautical insanity thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csDRdqMH3Kk

this is a fairly uneventful video, but just as a note to anyone with a fear of heights and falling, i YELPED when the video gits gud.

chitoryu12 posted:

Failed surgery on a grape?

au contraire, the surgery succeeded. twas the grape that failed.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 31, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, did anyone explain what was bad about those sewage pumps posted upthread?

Also, what do y'all think the Least Bad Failure for that jury-rigged hoist is? If one of the chains snapped and dropped the engine straight down, the engine would be hosed but I don't think the LPG containers would explode.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
PPFFFFFFFFFFFFT. What is that, a reich for ants?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's honestly really appropriate that the one time there's actual nazi poo poo, *I* don't see it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

shame on an IGA posted:

no the zoo animals in japan are hikkikomori too

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape-kun

Grape's hot for Hululu, so what.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
are australian conservatives still hugely racist against refugees or are refugees good now because there are white refugees.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
birdshit island is on fire, please advise

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

drgitlin posted:

Fixed it for you.

hey that's not true, aboriginal people can't be racist because they lack institutional power.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Everything we say about Russia will be true about America after Trump wins his 3rd term.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hey OSHA thread there's a funny goigns on in BYOB about what if you could play D&D while operating construction equipment

folks its a real knee slapper, i tell you what.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
looking forward to the OSHA horror stories encountered by whoever KBR 2 is going to be. how many of our own service members will die because the floor of the shower facility gets electrically charged when people take a shower.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i didn't invent that, btw. i know i post a lot of zany stuff but the dude i spent high school writing anime fanfic about got paid 6 figgies to wash dishes in an army base and was memory holed into a qatari hotel for like 3 months while congress tore their lovely company to bits. he saw it happened. he got zapped a few times but nothing fatal, unlike others.

so, yeah. that'll be, well not fun, but

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Okay, okay, whatever, she's a professional and i'm some mincing jackanape who burned tortillas by leaving them outside during a solar eclipse. but have you considered that she was doing something wrong, because she is a Woman??

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
uihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (pushes pixel framed glasses up my atrocious goblinlike snout) i think you'll understand to believe that actually? all glass is soda pyrex boroughsilicon, which is thermally shocked and liable to explode at any minute. they did this because of Wal Mart, as you know.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
OSHA thread, I have a question. Let's say there's a hill, 200 yards wide by 300 yards long. The middle rises to a 60' mound, we can assume a uniform shape, roughly triangular pyramidal in design. How long would it take an average construction team with modern equipment to excavate that area, to a depth of 60'?

Edit- For context, there's 5,400,000 ft of earth to be excavated down to ground level, then an additional 32,400,000 below that. Ground condition is sloped and marshy, with a series of large stones on the top of the hill and around one edge of the field.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 8, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yyyyyyyessss, a. . . lake. for my. . . geese.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
so, okay, there's one perhaps small detail which should be mentioned. in addition to the ground conditions being soggy, there's a slight chance that underneath the mound there's a, what do you call it, tomb. slight chance of tomb. i don't know what the digsafe code for that is, but let's just imagine this is an area with no labor laws nor conservation of antiquities. maybe these crews are even paid extra to gently caress up the tomb, just for spite. maybe.

so at least some of those sq ft of space will be occupied by "tomb" rather than "wet dirt." however that impacts calculations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
and, before you ask? it's a normal tomb. nothing creepy or bad or horror related about it at all. just a nice, safe, normal tomb, without any wandering monsters at all.

edit- yup just tryin to get some quotes for remodeling my summer vacation tomb that's all. no reason to investigate this much at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Queen Combat posted:

Average WHAT construction team? Roadwork? Pole installers? Bagger 488 operation team?

This is a "the wheels of the plane turn at the same speed as the treadmill" undefined question problem. Not enough info.

excavation team. lookin for a bunch of burly worker types to dig out then shore up my back walls.