Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Looks like a case of work smarter, not harder to me. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

he flipped back his jacket to show his pistol and asked 'what if I shot you'

:stonklol: I'm gonna pretend he was making a really bad joke and that it was an airsoft pistol, because I had a friend I played airsoft do a dumb once. Halloween party, dressed up in $generic_airsoft_soldier_outfit with an M4 model AEG on his back, then he went to Walmart and missed the "code brown" call or whatever over the PA. Turned around when he noticed odd quiet in the electronics section (ha) and he had half a dozen cops pointing guns at him.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Where was this? I've worked in a store that size in Georgia when someone came through with a real AR on their back and mostly we just talked about the dude being an rear end in a top hat because A)it makes people uncomfortable and B)if anything did happen where you'd wish you had a gun, the guy super-visibly carrying a gun would be dead before they knew something was going on. Official policy on the Emergency Response flipchart was to monitor the situation, but if they aren't indicating that they'll be violent and you're in an open-carry state there isn't really anything to do unless the owners specifically don't allow firearms which then becomes trespassing.

I really hope this wasn't because your friend is a minority.

Florida, but he was in a Walmart in a very blue county. If I was the manager I would have flipped too at a dude in a tac vest, helmet, camo, and what looked like a real AR (because in the US we don't have to keep the orange flash hiders that say "fake gun"). He is not a minority, he is very white.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Yep this is correct.

Most 2XX and 3XX alloys will be austenitic, save for some localized martensite due to work hardening, eg deep drawn 304 stainless.

A lot of stainless kitchen knives are 4xx.

Believe it or not, working in the window and door industry has taught me some about metallurgy. Specifically because for the longest time one of our salesmen sold contracts with "304SS marine-grade stainless" fasteners. Then, even as we were working these jobs, management switched to 410SS because it was cheaper. Was real fun when I got to explain to a room full of my bosses exactly why customers were complaining when they checked the fasteners with magnets and were suddenly demanding we come out and change out hundreds of fasteners.* :eng101:

* It's snowbirds in Florida with nothing better to do.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Of course it's FL. What, exactly, does it matter if they're magnetized or not?

Every time I talk to a roll-up door person here, they pump me for info on what I'm doing and how much it pays. Y'all have some of the most beaten down installers I ever met. New truck, all decked out, no nanny camera, full toolbox, but they hate the job.

Because it was sold as 304SS - which is nonmagnetic - and our customer base, as I said, is old farts with nothing better to do than take a magnet out and spot check the screws in their pool cage. This isn't even mentioning yet the one eagle-eyed customer that actually checked the markings on the screw heads and realized that what they got is a few grades down from what was actually sold to them.

In theory, in a coastal environment, which is anywhere up to and including ten miles inland (I think), the better the grade, the more corrosion-resistant it is. That's particularly important because stainless and aluminum tend not to get along if you don't get things just so. Galvanic corrosion isn't pretty, when a customer sends you a picture of their sliding glass door that they tried to shore up with stainless fasteners, and there's a hole the size of a quarter where the screw used to be because of the electrical potential between the shittier stainless grades and aluminum, and using non-coated screws.
:goonsay:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Toupee Groupie posted:

In Florida, watch an insurance company deny a hurricane damage claim if the fasteners were not marine grade stainless steel. If the code calls for it, and it doesn't have it, you can get screwed pretty fast in inspection or insurance coverage.

Code doesn't specifically call for marine-grade stainless - the minimum the NOAs and FPAs call for in our case is a 410, which is what we use these days. However, what the permit was issued for in many of these cases listed 304SS marine-grade on the contract. I hemmed and hawed about this and instead of doing things the right way, they just started leaving that off the contracts. :eng99:

Uncle Enzo posted:

Ok right you guys weren't expecting people to check, but if they got sold a product promising "304SS marine-grade stainless" but got delivered a different, cheaper product, that's a bunch of bullshit. People who live near the ocean are dead serious about corrosion resistance. That higher grade of fastener might have been why they chose your product over a competitor's.

I hope you explained to your bosses why bait-and-switching people who paid a premium for a specific alloy put you guys solidly in the wrong. You're lucky if you didn't get class-actioned.

We haven't been, no. I did, at one point, explain it to them. But as I said, they just stopped writing the contracts for 304SS. I questioned it every time I was told to order 410 from our local vendor instead of 304 from our vendor across the state.

These days, though, the 410SS and the 304SS fasteners are fairly close in price, with some sizes being cheaper in 304SS and others in 410SS. The poo poo of it is - our vendor for the 304SS offers a 10% discount on screen doors and hardware if we use them for fasteners, so the few bucks' difference in cases of 304SS from them where 410SS would be cheaper sort of evens out. Our inside sales rep has been "temperature check"ing me a couple times a month and I just keep forwarding them on.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

:stonk: I can't stop even though it makes me want to poo poo my pants.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Every night I usually tell my wife, "Babe, I got something from the OSHA thread to show you."

Tonight, she tells me "Every time you say OSHA thread, I hear 'oh poo poo thread'."

:hmmyes:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

This is just...glorious.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Ah, just see if you can stick your arm under the flap and grab it...

My hands actually went to my face. The loving sound that must have made. Is that one of those dumbass car vending machines?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

My damned Traverse forced one into the wheel well with the wheels turned all the way to the other side of whatever you were working on, then you had to peel back the wheel well liner, shove your arm in there (I'm a big dude, so that scraped me to hell and back) and unscrew (blind) a cap, quarter-turn and pull, then replace the bulb (blind) and reverse the process.

At least the brake light was easy. One screw popped the whole assembly off. Except for the time the bulb really didn't want out and shattered in my hand. A piece of glass went so far into my finger that I still don't think it's fully healed several years later, and I have a nasty scar. Bled like a pig for hours.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Also known as "how they get those perfect loving sandwiches in ads that look nothing like the real drat thing".

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

NoWake posted:

Workers' access to a bathroom is a part of OSHA compliance. While I was surprised, I wasn't too mad that the gas company plunked a porta potty in my front yard (technically city property) while they replace the lines around the neighborhood.

I had to have some fun with it, 'tis the season after all!

This owns - until the portajohn company carts that fucker off lights and all :v:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

so that's why you don't see many motorcycles in stairwells
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r3hxx3CWdz1qigfjt.mp4

Should've anchored it on a 400lb concrete block.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm conditioned to avoid aircraft propeller arcs to the degree that when I'm walking around airplanes in museums I'll still avoid stepping through the propeller.

poo poo, the closest I've ever come to a prop is the two times I climbed up the wing of a T-34 at the local airshow, and I still have an inborn habit of avoiding any potential prop injuries, propwash, intake incidents, or jetwash.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

:stonk: thats not whar stablok means

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

:shrug: I've scraped burnt bits off of grilled cheese and quesadillas before to get my kids to eat them. This just saves time.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Did someone fill his poo poo with expanding construction foam? That is so hosed up but a masterful "gently caress you".

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

:yikes: Three things:

1) How the hell did that not start a fire ten feet of lint ago?
2) I can smell that, and
3) It makes me want to sneeze.

EDIT: It brings to mind the lovely situation in my garage. Landlord had our water heater replaced a few years ago and I did not realize until after the warranty period that the dryer was venting into the garage space. Pulled the dryer out to find out exactly why this was occurring and it turned out the plumbers were too lazy to install another six inches of copper to bump the new unit out from the wall.

See, the dryer vent ran behind the water heater to a vent on the wall. The new water heater partially blocks the vent, and I can only direct maybe 80%-90% of that humid, linty airflow outside. I have to unfuck it every few loads because of vibration pulling the vent off the outlet, and my garage gets uncomfortably hot and humid on laundry day. Real great in Florida. :argh:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 22, 2021

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

:black101: Community poo poo like this makes me grin dumbly.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Ola posted:

I think you mean Los Santos.

Fuckin' beat me to it. I've done that same thing in GTA5 800 times.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

That poor warbird :gonk:

Reminds me of my own OSHA story from when I was a 12- and 13-year-old mini-goon with a penchant for flight sims and aerial combat video games. Local air show, $40 rides on a T-34 Air Force trainer.

Two years in a row I went on that ride. The pilot was an Air Force half-bird, helped me get in the back seat, entertained my childish fangirling over being in a real Air Force two-seater as I listened to the takeoff chatter over the headset. Yes, I fangirled both years.

The first year, when I was 12, I mentioned that I liked flight sims but it was nothing compared to actually being in a single-engine. And then here's the 2002 OSHA part: "Oh? Well, put your hands on the stick...and you're flying the plane." Dude's hands go up and behind his head and 12-year-old me is flying a fuckin' plane for about 10-15 minutes.

The next year he recognized me, and that time, once it was off the runway he gave me the plane. Told me when to turn, where to go, but I was the one flying it for the whole 20-30 minute flight. To cap it off, he asked the tower for permission to do something called a "military landing" which seemed to be just a fast, steep descent to flare and touchdown.

To date, those are two of the best days of my life, OSHA and all :kimchi:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Checks rack at Walmart.

Size 46W29L

Ok

Bullshit, I haven't found anything at Walmart larger than a 36 waist with a 29 inseam :colbert:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Luneshot posted:

Tied to a motorcycle so nobody can steal them.

:hmmyes:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Has sound, but it doesn't make things any better.

https://i.imgur.com/YYZFJn8.mp4

"gently caress this traffic. Ow. Ow. Ow. Too bouncy...gently caress it. I'm done."

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

:magical: What the gently caress could cause that?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Should only be done in a plow train, and with the goddamned blade angled to the shoulder. How did the operator not notice the blade was set to the driver's side for discharge?

That wasn't a blade. That was one of those fuckers that shoots the snow out the side. I've only ever seen those pointed at the shoulder unless it was driving next to a dump truck to poo poo the snow into. :stonk:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Half expected the car to go over him. I've slipped a handful of times in the past few years, the two nastiest of them causing A) my left knee to approximate a grapefruit in size and shape (slipped on water spilled my my kids) and B) crack a rib (slipped while mopping and went down on my chest). I don't ever want to experience going down on my tailbone like that, I sit too much.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

a primate posted:

There’s a lawyer who took Chevron to court over environmental abuses in Ecuador, and won.

He’s in jail now. Chevron basically had him disbarred and imprisoned by a judge through a RICO suit. It’s a pretty hosed up story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Donziger

The RICO suit as opposed to RICO charges was pretty genius - it takes the standard down to a "preponderance of evidence" as opposed to "beyond a reasonable doubt". Though why racketeering/corruption could ever be civil as opposed to criminal is beyond me.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

NIMBY idiots

Similar situation in the town over from us, a bunch of idiots built across the street from the end of the local airport runway (we're not talking jumbos here, it's Gulfstreams and smaller) and some asshat erected a giant LED sign that says "JETS = POISON".

Don't build in the path of jetwash then, idiot. Every time we went to the airshow we'd giggle at the guy.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Being poor in this country is really loving hard, and it's even harder if you're poor and minority. Some people (republicans) do things to deliberately make life as hard as possible on that already hard hit demographic because the desperation they're left with funnels them into a life of bouncing in and out of prison and essentially providing slave labor.

Take, for example, the medicaid expansion from the PPACA. It provided full funding to expand the system in each state, but the states must affirmatively opt-in because it is beyond Congress' power to force them to expand medicaid. As a result, 12 states have refused to expand medicaid. This costs the states nothing to do and actually gives them more money for their medicaid programs. The beneficiaries of this expansion are people between 0-100% of the FPL or individuals who make under $12,800. I can't recall the family numbers. These people have access to essentially free federal healthcare everywhere except those 12 states. In those 12 states, these people get nothing. They have no insurance or lie about their income to get it above $13k (and face potential fines for doing so) because the PPACA only provides subsidies to those who make 100-400% of the FPL. Trump removed the 400% cap, so literally the only people paying full price for health insurance are people who live below the poverty line.

I'll give you one guess which set of states have not expanded medicaid and the demographic that makes up the majority of those people in the gap.

I live in one of those states. Medicaid cutoff for adults is 30% FPL, and with a family of 6, I make too much money for straight Medicaid - but I get share of cost, which means I have to incur ~$3k of medical bills in a month in order to get Medicaid coverage for that month only - but not enough for employer-offered insurance. Living in the expansion gap is just the tits, I tell you :shepicide:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Spotted the redneck

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I almost got angry at this thing being posted again :golfclap:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Back to truckfuckling for a moment

https://i.imgur.com/7F8tepS.mp4

What does a train even do in this situation? They need at least half a mile to stop, don't they? :magical:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

"An Indian air Force Jaguar strikes a flock of birds on take-off, causing the pilot to jettison the aircraft’s CBLS pods and fuel tanks, which cause an explosion upon impact with the ground."
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r7qryaI35o1vmay6q.mp4

Is jettisoning full external tanks supposed to do that? :stare:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Did that dude actually use his body to keep the truck from damaging his car? :stonklol:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

This is unreasonably comfortable btw

Probably one of the very reasons you walk around the plane to pull pins during preflight. "Joe, get the gently caress out the engine unless you wanna be human chili."

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

That dude controlling the angle grinder with the guard is probably the funniest one

Also good is the guy using his feet as a vice

As someone who used an angle grinder for the first time about two weeks ago, I feel nauseous just looking at it. :nms: that poo poo :gibs:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

sigher posted:

Your loving fingers off.

OSHA IV: Angle Grinder Hack (Your loving Fingers Off)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Is...that a mountain of baby carrots?

Also, is that a loving hurricane or a tornado? :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

No poo poo, the lady circumcising the boom is a dead ringer for my neighbor, who is a full on Karen that harassed us with bullshit code enforcement complaints (to the point where the inspectors were telling us to keep records for a lawyer) until the county stopped taking anonymous complaints.

I have no doubt she would also snip a hydraulic line to stop some dumb noise.