Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeR8Qlkrfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shut up Meg posted:

Is a 'monkey' a type of rope, or did this story take a massive twist?

Humphreys has told that story before and it was a flesh & blood simian.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Humphreys posted:

Arc Flash stuff is no drat joke!

I used to film Industrial and Mining Corporate videos, ranging from puff-piece 'synergy' style, OSHA/Work Procedure and Site Familiarisation.

The Arc Flash one was a hoot to film as we had to simulate what happens when some poor sap gets hit. A lot of 'don't do what Donny Dont does' type stuff. I was getting a shot for the back end of a panel room to get the 'actor' (some poor fucker who works at the site who doesn't look busy) and they somehow tripped all the breakers in the room on me. Scared the gently caress out of me!

I've posted before in response to the 'poo poo poo poo' dragline boom video posted a few pages ago - I was there that day behind that camera operator.

There's a whole lot of stuff I've seen during that 5 or so year period full of our version of OSHA violations. A lot of jobs consisted of filming monthly at big contruction projects to show the fatcats how things are progressing. Man didn't people scurry away when they saw us coming along - anything not up to code was reported on the spot, had to be fixed then and there or the crew and in some cases - the contractor was banned.

A funny one was during a wide pan of an area I spot movement in the middle of a tailings pond of a coal mine. After I get the shot I realise the movement in the background is some fucker standing on the far side in a pair of budgie smugglers, a snorkel and casting a fishing line.

A rumour I heard while scouting a coal port was a story of a monkey that a ship captain owned getting free, jumping onto a shiploader and running up the conveyor to the shore and up into one of the towers where some poor bastard was working alone at night and jumped on his back scaring the poo poo out of him (I want to believe in this story so much).

I really should catch up with some of our old crew if only to remember more things we encountered and if any footage in our personal archives could be dug up.

Humphreys posted:

A coal port I worked had a case of a loving monkey owned by a ship captain escaped, jumped up the shiploader and ran the 1km worth of tressles to shore, climbed up a stacking tower where an electrician was fixing a light and gave him a nice surprise grabbing onto his back.

quote:

Bio security Australia must have been thrilled. Did the captain ever get allowed back?

quote:

Much above my pay grade and on that specific day I was onshore about 10 beers in at the pub - I was hired by BMA to film and photograph a poo poo load of their work. Of course certain things would always be taken away and I've had a large number of meetings where footage I shot inadvertantly became evidence.

All I saw was the aftermath of customs etc losing their poo poo. My uncle is Maritime Security and was flown cross country for the case, thats how I heard about it while over beers the days after.

The story is legit, but for funsies I'll add: this uncle was in the middle of writing up a ship for safety violations, lent over while writing in his pad and fell down a flight of stairs on the ship. Also the only photo the family has of him in the Navy is of him saluting and having a piss off the deck.

EDIT: For those who read along on my misadventures with our gas plant...the new filler was caught twice for smoking while filling LPG into tankers. Also ciggie butts in the cab of the truck. Two other drivers were written up for speeding, or using their phones while driving (every truck has 24/7 video recording of the cab - and they ARE watched even before an accident occurs).

Also my direct manager got himself stuck in a dumpster and sliced his legs a bunch due to scrap metal and fluro light tubes.

What a week to have off!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shut up Meg posted:

I know why they have to include it, but I always find it somewhat amusing that they have to make it clear that you can call someone dead if their head is in a different ZIPcode than their body.

I mean chickens can live for months without heads and I’ve met people that don’t seem to be using more brainpower than a chicken.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the banana plant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AzureSkys posted:

This is one of the sprinklers in the hotel room I'm staying at. Whatever it means, I feel warned.

It’s an antiabortion sticker.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OSHA IV: Alarm doesn't sound.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Re the waterslide, I direct your attention to page eleven of this indictment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mozi posted:

boners are filled with air, everybody knows this

There a prosthetic penises where squeezing a fake testicle erects them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tony Snark posted:

If the air blows out the dickhole when it deflates dusting a keyboard would be hilarious.

They use a liquid stored in a reservoir implanted in the abdomen.

There are two‐piece alternatives where the fluid is stored in the balls, in the pump chamber.

Pro: surgery is less extensive.

Con: limited volume means there’s less difference between flaccid and erect states.

There’s also the “gooseneck” option:

Talk with your doctor about the risks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fisting by many posted:

"reservoir migration" :gonk:

It could end up somewhere relatively harmless, or it could end up in the bladder. Yes, by digging through the wall.

quote:

Percutaneous drainage of the cyst was performed, with four litres of purulent fluid evacuated.

I’m going to suggest that civil engineers politicians start using “reservoir migration” to describe dam failures.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Necrosaro posted:

I am listening to it and they have nothing nice to say about us here at the Something Awful forums. I should just post the link to the video.

There’s a link for the fine people of C-SPAN in Donoteat’s thread there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Vacuum presents hazards, but “asphyxiant gas” is a fundamentally unsound model for the problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ACME company delivers once again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

Reminds me of a story I heard (maybe in an old version of this thread) where a lab or chemical company decided to honor breast cancer awareness by changing all their label colors to pink, thus screwing with the color coding.

That was none other than Sigma–Aldrich.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

Is that name supposed to be vaguely Lovecraftian?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

It's no coincidence that a certain emblem drains the flag of the red, white and blue in favor of their own gang colors and their own symbol (the blue line). It's a very clear way to get across that antagonistic attitude toward the actual people of the US.

But this isn't flag desecration because... um...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/huWdLHR.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Seems safeish. Cant do that much damage with 1 horsepower.

Worker (centre) too close to unpredictable mobile machinery (right).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who thought that “service provider” was good phraseology?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Premier loves surprises.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is it racist to criticise German engineering for frequently overcomplicating designs and creating maintenance nightmares?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

I haven't heard that specific factoid but the math doesn't check out. A .45 has a muzzle velocity of 830 feet per second, so with a 5-inch barrel the bullet accelerates at roughly 26,000g and takes 1 millisecond to leave the barrel. The Sprint missile's overall acceleration was 100g, meaning that in 0.001s it would only have traveled half a millimeter.

The lock time, the period between pulling the trigger and the powder igniting, is many times the travel time of the bullet, but not enough to make the statement true.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Let’s do some algebra here.

kaboom − fire = fuel

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Queen Combat posted:

…skin bank…

right clicks, renames folder

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know if that’s more or less impressive than Paul Alexander, who studied and practiced law from an iron lung.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Balancing the ladder on a medicine ball is the bit that makes it unbelievable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chinstrap inadequate. No attempt made to secure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This LASER is so cursed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BeTq99LqUo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

5er posted:

That last screencap there, when he walked the laser over to his hand and talked about it 'yeah sure, it hurts a little I guess', I was pretty much all set with the video. It's not a bad video! But something about that particular moment threw my 'that's quite enough now' switch.

I like the jump cut where everything is the same except the camera has dead spots everywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Asimo posted:

Christ this poo poo really needs to be regulated better. The only reason bystanders aren't being constantly blinded is because nobody really understands how trivial it is to get insanely strong lasers.

Wait till you hear how easy it is to get directed kinetic energy weapons that fit in a pocket.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 14, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Scuba diving in those pools for maintenance is actually a thing. Not a thing I have any experience with, but still a thing that’s out there :v:

https://nuclear.duke-energy.com/2015/11/18/career-profile-nuclear-divers

Diving in the pools is the cushy job.

The dirty job is diving in the outside body of water that the power plant uses for cooling. Poor visibility, strong currents, confined spaces—they have it all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Cvduo4P0I

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rammstein pyrotechnics looking good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lilbeefer posted:

Seriously though, what is that fire thing

https://www.slb.com/reservoir-characterization/reservoir-testing/surface-testing/effluent-handling-and-disposal/u-boom

It’s for oil platforms. I think the head with all the radial nozzles lets it handle more volume.

Compare to these:

Strong Grovershed energy.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 17, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

When that one’s in use it just looks like this:

Yawn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHr1zfhbL38

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PurpleXVI posted:

One thing I always wondered about those gas burn-offs on oil platforms, and I'm sorry if it's a bit off-topic for the thread... isn't it a waste? Isn't that a volume of gas that could be used for other purposes? Or is the volume small enough that it just wouldn't really matter if you funnelled it off to run generators or something?

Gas is cheap and pipelines and refineries are expensive. It’s not always worth building the capacity to handle it.

Sometimes they only have to flare for a month at the start of operations or whatever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon Man posted:

Watch that last step, it’s a doozy...

https://i.imgur.com/3kaQonO.gifv

I’ve heard of rope ladders.

That’s a nope ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012