Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That guy was actually right about the glass and it did not break when he threw himself against it.

The entire pane popped out of the frame instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Things that had nuclear warhead options in the Cold War:

• Air-to-Air Missiles
  • Surface-to-Air Missiles (Obviously for BMDS)
  • Anti-Ship Missiles (Surface-to-surface from ships and subs, air-to-surface from aircraft)
  • Torpedos
  • Landmines (Apparently the USSR deployed a bunch on bridges east of Germany as a way of stemming the west if they went to war)
  • Artillery shells and surface-to-surface rockets
  • MANPADs (Man-Portable Air Defence missile systems like Stinger)
  • Backpacks (W54, only 27kg and about the size of a wastebasket)

Phanatic posted:

The raw W54 warhead was that small, but the smallest “backpack” it was ever deployed in weighed 150lbs and definitely wouldn’t have fit into an airplane overhead.

What was the nuclear MANPAD? Never heard of that one.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Can't find a good reference sorry. Let's call that one bullshit on my part!

I can't recall any nuclear MANPAD systems but you did forget about the M-29 "Davy Crockett" nuclear recoilless rifle:

It had a 2-mile maximum range and a yield of only 20 tons (0.02kt). It was quite inaccurate, so its most tactically useful effect would have been the radiation blast, which would have instantly killed any unshielded troops within about a 500-foot radius. It would probably also be fairly effective against helicopters and light aircraft at low altitudes.

It could be carried in three backpacks or fired from the back of a jeep

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 8, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

No I didn't forget about that boring bit of history. It woulda fit on my list under artillery shells/surface-to-surface rockets if you'd checked but I doubt you would as you were edgin to post that. Very well all is done.

Oh, well, I was just trying to help you out by posting something that you might have confused for a nuclear shoulder-fired antiaircraft missile, but if that's not the case then go gently caress yourself I guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Harik posted:

They're utterly nuts. Weren't those the ones that you could launch at the same time you fired a .45 and it would be a few hundred foot airborne before the bullet left the barrel?

I haven't heard that specific factoid but the math doesn't check out. A .45 has a muzzle velocity of 830 feet per second, so with a 5-inch barrel the bullet accelerates at roughly 26,000g and takes 1 millisecond to leave the barrel. The Sprint missile's overall acceleration was 100g, meaning that in 0.001s it would only have traveled half a millimeter.

Even going by reports that "the missile was supersonic by the time it left its silo," meaning it reached at least 1125 feet per second in its 27-foot length, exiting the silo in under 48 milliseconds, that's still only 730g in the initial ejection phase. The bullet would be 40 feet away at that point.

It would be totally accurate to say that by the time the missile left the silo it was travelling faster than a .45, though.

e: and it's been a while since I've done quadratic equations, but I think I've worked out that if you were standing beside the underground missile silo with the gun beside your head and fired it upwards at the same moment the missile was launched, the tail of the missile would have passed the bullet after slightly less than 1/10 of a second, 80 feet above the ground.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 9, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

starkebn posted:

With our without a ground wire?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Because the next five pages of this thread are going to devolve into a huuuge argument as to whether or not Will Smith's ad-libbed line in Independence Day is "Welcome to Earth" or "Welcome to Earf" after punching the alien into submission. I wanna say it's rule 36, paragraph 5, of the internet. (It's a really stupid Reddit joke)

It's "earth," always has been, you can look up the scene to verify this in 10 seconds, and the "earf" side is racist because it's implying that Will Smith must speak AAVE because he's black.

i hope this has cleared up the argument

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/XZfakdB.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal

my opinion is that if you ever use this particular excuse your license should be permanently cancelled

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's a cube of skin 106cm on a side

that's a lot of skin

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

I mean.... a match? A single match. A lighter.

There's... no. No, now is not the time to overthink this. Only do.

even if you haven't got any matches or lighters, that same steel wool trick works with a 9-volt battery. I bet you could do it with an old phone charger and a stripped USB cable and it would be a hundred times safer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/C4lXkUL.mp4

(sound must be on)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I also had the little rubber pad on my brake pedal lever fall apart, but I just 3D printed a replacement piece because it's the 21st century

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

speaking of fire extinguishers

https://i.imgur.com/fn4OzNV.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Just for comparison: I have a Dell M1000e bladecenter than runs off 230vAC. It adds $25 to my bill.

i love that this is considered to be a comparison that anyone would understand (yes, i know this forum is full of computer janitors)

"yeah, my car's engine has 300 horsepower. how much is that? well it's about the mechanical equivalent of 3400 intel i9s running superpi"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agrinja posted:

Why is it weird to compare electrical power draw?

nobody who isn't an IT worker has any idea what a "dell m1000e bladecenter" is or whether it draws a lot of power or a little.

like a proper comparison would be to say "the $190 he spends per month, at average US electricity prices, is comparable to running four hair dryers 24 hours a day all month long"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 20, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Enoch Root posted:

Does anybody know what type of plane this is? I want to send it to a friend of mine who is a commercial pilot and I'd like to pretend I know at least something of aviation.

It is a Boeing 757. We know it is a Boeing because the cockpit windows are pointy at the back where Airbuses are all square. 757s can be hard to tell apart from the longer 737s, but there are a few tells:

- there are four wheels on each set of main gear (737s have two)
- the vertical stabilizer's leading edge is one straight line (the 737 has an extension at the base)
- the nose gear is mounted further back than on the 737 (this is hard to tell in the video but you can detect it at the end)

This one specifically appears to be a 757-300 because it has four doors on the side of the fuselage (the -200 model has three).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

We were all just coasting and waiting once the Sagebrush signal was lit.

oh well fine if you're gonna be like that then i will point out that this post,

shame on an IGA posted:

Engines too round, no stabilizer rib, it's a 757

while correct in its conclusion, is also wrong because the 737-100 and -200 both have round engine nacelles (vs. the flattened ones on the later models) and lack the vertical stabilizer extension.

they would never be confused for a 757 because they are tiny little baby planes while the 757-300 is the longest longboi ever made, and the little turbojets on the early 737 are very distinctive.

but the post is still wrong

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's a real good pilot. He/she put the wheel on the ground and then kept the plane hovering in ground effect, with the majority of its weight still supported by the wings, for a full ten seconds. You can see the transfer as the torque link folds up. Textbook technique for landing on a soft field or when you have an uncertain landing gear condition :canada:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

OSHA thread, I have a question. Let's say there's a hill, 200 yards wide by 300 yards long. The middle rises to a 60' mound, we can assume a uniform shape, roughly triangular pyramidal in design. How long would it take an average construction team with modern equipment to excavate that area, to a depth of 60'?

Edit- For context, there's 5,400,000 ft of earth to be excavated down to ground level, then an additional 32,400,000 below that. Ground condition is sloped and marshy, with a series of large stones on the top of the hill and around one edge of the field.

some back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest that you could move that much earth with a 30-kiloton nuclear device buried about 350 feet under the surface. that isn't exactly the shape of the excavation you need, but that's the kind of energy release involved.

perhaps three ten-kiloton devices buried to the desired excavation depth in a chain 100 yards apart?

it would be a lot faster than using construction equipment and you said you don't care about what's underneath so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My uncle flies waterbombers in Canada and his path, fwiw, was: join the RCAF -> basic pilot training -> rose to captain as a navigator on the CP-140 -> got sick of the military and applied for a discharge -> live on our couch for six months while building up hours to be a commercial pilot -> bush pilot in central america and northern canada for many years -> hired by the OMNR to fly the CL-415.

It doesn't seem like a particularly quick and easy career change

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I hope that subaru guy goes to prison

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

If you're at all tired, distracted, whatever, don't run a loving table saw.

The government should seize the SawStop patent, open the license, and make it mandatory for all new saws sold.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

A fun story in which no one dies: the Gimli Glider. A series of fuckups leads to a 767 taking off with about half the fuel it was supposed to have and running out at altitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVvt7hP5a-0

yes, they confused a forward slip and a sideslip

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

worth noting that the rates of youth violence have almost perfectly tracked the utilization of of leaded gasoline with a 15-year lag. the phaseout started in the mid-70s and by 1990 youth violence was on the decline, contrary to all predictions at the time. it's now at a historic (post-ww2) low and so is airborne lead concentration.

cops a re already murderous psychopaths, of course, but the lead exposure probably doesn't help

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, sorry, this is my headcannon now.

Agent Hermann?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stanky Bean posted:

From maybe 20 pages or so back but can't seem to find it. Private pilot who takes a crazy approach straight down in low visibility, also was a video of him low flying by the SF waterfront then hard banking right as he nears the golden gate bridge. Anyone have link? only thing I can remember is that his name is Jeff.

his name is Jerry and he's a fixture of this and the aviation thread. i don't have a link to the specific video you mean but here's a screenshot:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Note that even if you give him the benefit of the doubt on the the catch-all 14 CFR § 91.13 "careless or reckless operation" rule, Jerry is still violating the 91.119 minimum safe altitude rule, which says that you must be 1000 feet above the nearest obstacle within 2000 feet in any congested area. He's definitely not 1000 feet above the Bay Bridge towers.

e: his altimeter actually reads ~500 feet when he starts that insane 60-degree banked turn. The Bay Bridge towers are 520 feet tall.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 14, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

just gonna take a sharp bank with an open drink by the instrument panel, what could go wrong

:eng101: A properly coordinated banked turn is a positive-G maneuver and the apparent gravity vector remains aligned with the aircraft. A level 60-degree banked turn pulls 2G, and he was climbing slightly so he was a little above that. The drink would remain in the cup.

The sensation of multiple Gs straight downwards, which in this case would feel like gravity just suddenly doubled, is pretty bizarre at first, so that's probably why his passengers start screaming "oh my god" as he rolls in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep it's called a rolling shutter artifact. In this case, you can tell that the CCD reads out from the top to the bottom, line by line; by the time the frame is done capturing the train has moved forwards, so the bottom slides a little bit in front of the top, and it looks like it's leaning backwards. Most cheap image sensors, like you'd have in a security camera or cell phone, do this. More expensive sensors like those in a digital SLR tend to read the whole frame at once to eliminate that artifact.

Fun fact: this effect is why animators distort cars' wheels into ellipses, and generally lean the whole car forwards, as a visual shorthand for "going fast."

Obviously cars don't look like that in real life no matter how fast they're going. But if you're a photojournalist in the 1930s, and you have a camera with a travelling-slit shutter, then you get the exact same effect. The film is exposed over a brief period of time -- from the bottom up, due to the curtain design of most camera shutters at the time, rather than top-down like most modern image sensors -- so the bottom parts of the scene are recorded first, and fast-moving objects look like they're leaning forwards. Animators looking at photographic/filmed references of fast cars picked up on the effect and now it's just part of our shared visual language.

:eng101:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 15, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What code?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is dumb and idiotic, but I've met way too many people who don't think they need liability insurance because they're too safe a driver to hurt anyone or don't need health insurance because they're young and a non-smoker etc.

Yep, one of the last interactions I had on Facebook before I deleted it was arguing with a high school friend over Obamacare and that was his position. "Why should I be forced to pay for health insurance when I'm healthy and don't need it?"

He was in the army :bravo:

Anyway re. the fire, I'm sure that if Tennessee wants to stay in their libertarian hell world of paying no taxes and hiring private fire departments, any actuary could quickly come up with a figure to charge for on-the-spot firefighting that would compensate for the lost $75 up front. Ten thousand dollars? Twenty? Still cheaper than a new house.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

FWIW, the town changed things so that their department will respond to all calls within 5 miles of the city limits. If it turns out you don't have the subscription and they need to put your house out, they will, but it'll cost $3500:

That seems fair to me if you live in a place where a tax-funded municipal fire department wouldn't work and you choose not to buy the "insurance"/subscription. At 75 dollars a year, the $3500 fee covers 47 years of fire service, and one fire call per ~50 years per house sounds like it's in the right ballpark. Sounds like they did hire an actuary after all!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kimihia posted:

It looks accurate as of 2019-11.

Well the image shown has no taxiways connecting that runway to the rest of the airport, so either the imagery is out of date or there is a jet currently stuck at the Moscow airport.

e: I can't find a specific rule in my copy of the FAR/AIM but I'll bet it's also not legal for the airport to operate commercial flights from a runway without any markings.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 17, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DandyLion posted:

Holy poo poo. Complete holy poo poo. Literally textbook perfect engine failure procedure and landing. I had a panic attack just watching it.

i think it's a simulated failure and the guy chilling out in the right seat is an instructor

but yeah that was definitely perfect procedure. I'm always surprised that helicopters can "glide" (autorotate) at all, let alone that far.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Brute Hole Force posted:

Iron at that temperature at your feet, yeah I'd take my chances of a slap burn over having the burn ward trying to figure out where the shoe rubber ends and the flesh of my foot starts.

yeah, realistically it's probably safer to wear wool/cotton/etc slippers than anything with any synthetic fibers or plastics. if you get hit it'll just smolder.

if you're gonna stand around on the floor with white-hot pieces of iron shooting around all over the place like snakes, i mean.

also worth remembering every time you see one of these videos that the metal is still...a big chunk of metal. even if it weren't hot, it would still be a lump of steel weighing hundreds of pounds rolling around on the floor and getting hit with it would probably knock you over or break some bones

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

actually the obvious solution there is asbestos shoes, duh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ry4QBQejFU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Plus, sorority culture came directly from frat culture and was expected to take its rules, so

i mean yes and also no. are you aware of the kind of poo poo that middle school girls pull on each other completely independent of any organized hazing? it's psychological warfare.

humans are just predominantly selfish and cruel by default. why do you think we have to teach children to play nice?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Of course I do I was a middle school girl. It's still not as intense as poo poo people have done in hazing, lie accidentally kill each other.

i'm sure that middle school girls have never killed each other as part of a hazing ritual, she posted on the Something Awful Forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would not like to see his art. no thank you