Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It's like a clip from a ZAZ film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Plutonium is probably the "most common" one you're likely to run into in the "so radioactive it feels warm" category.

Of course if you get to experience it first hand something has gone horribly wrong with your life.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

My guess is it's fracking mud blow-off, that's saturated with natural gas so they flare it when they dump the mud?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Shut up Meg posted:

Pig poo poo lagoon deaths depress me cause they always follow the same pattern:

Some poor sod slips over during Another Day At The Pig poo poo Factory and dies in poo poo.

Then some brave coworker willingly dives into poo poo to save him and also dies.

Then a third worker sees them both and still is brave enough to dive into what is clearly a very dangerous place and then also dies in poo poo.

It just seems so unfair to these brave and unselfish people that they work in poo poo and die in poo poo while stock brokers get to die in coke-fuelled porsche crashes.

Time to repost The Case Of The Rusty Assassin

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

fyi it's also best practice to keep logic controls and field I/O separated on independent power supplies so a shorted out sensor line or stuck actuator can't take down the whole controller

hey man, 24v transformers are like 20 dollars. We can't afford that.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

zedprime posted:

The Montreal Protocol is a very gentle phase out. You can still legally service your classic car with R-12.

Most of the traction came from specialty chemicals companies who had HCFC and HFC patents sewn up between a consortium aiming to wreck the Dupont monopoly. The ozone hole is fixing itself in spite of the situation.

The trump admin started make noises about reversing the various reefer bans, until the lobbyists shut it down hard.

They make more money on R-22 banking and 4 series refrigerants and equipment than they ever would of got without Montreal.

I'm hoping magneto-calorics take off. I will do chilled water all day long.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

mostlygray posted:

If I ever figure it out, I will report.

It most likely Ghost voltage.

It's inductively coupled from other wires running next to the ones you are reading.

Beg/borrow a meter with a Low Z setting. It will read zero.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Superterranean posted:

Are we just not gonna talk about this

It's hazing.

That dude probably had the choice of a blanket party or an oil shower, saw the twitchy guys in his unit and made the choice.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Gender has nothing to do with it. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That's some quality low-tech construction there. I would be proud of that handiwork.

EDIT: The fine gauge wire at the bottom acts as fusible links. :yum:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Bringing heat down on people who provide you services because you're lazy. Good thinking. Take the bus instead, please.

They wouldn't though?

If anything they'd call the local company office and ask them about the plates/Vehicle number, who would respond "That's not one of our fleet vehicles, tow that rear end in a top hat".

And lol if you think labor folks get any slack about parking illegally. Source: My boss crawling up my rear end every time I get caught.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I remember seeing those advertised all over TV when I was a kid but I've never used one. Where do they fall on a scale of "works a little" to "doesn't work at all?"

They work, until they break because you tried to use it with too much torque.

The best application is when you have a lot of weird shape fasteners you need to unscrew, like wing nuts or square nuts.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Don't be a pansy, it's only low pressure steam.

That's only what, 121c/250F

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The Lifeboat Foundation did the symbology better

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Probably a wet sprinkler main, which they left flooded to help with dust suppression. I'm just guessing, I do buildings but not ones that are in the process of imploding.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm the rescue worker who stands up at the back of the boat and mimes "wtf dude"

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

what the hell are orbeez

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Note 7?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

So now you just need to go to all the manufacturers of plastic toys and plumbing fittings and circuit boards in the UK, and

which doesn't work even if you find all the mythical plastic plants in the UK, because consumer and medical plastics production are two completely different ball games.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's maybe hard to tell, but homeboy is wearing socks, which may actually be the better option when perching on the top rail of a folding metal stepstool? This poor guy is frequently in over his head when he has to fix things in my unit, and I worry about him.

What he needs is a 6ft ladder that isn't home garbage. what he has now should only be used to help grandma get soup cans off the top shelf.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Powershift posted:

We're gettin a CSB video game! :haw:

The contractors went to a "No lost time" lunch the day of the accident :negative:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Craptacular posted:

What? Let's assume that all police were carrying smart guns. Non-smart guns would still be a thing; they wouldn't magically disappear all of a sudden. So how would the fact that the officer's primary gun is a smart gun prevent an officer from keeping a second drop gun to plant on someone?

The idea is it would be part of a system with an always-running-while-on-duty body cam, GPS, and other metrics. It would make it harder (not impossible) for officers to falsify shooting incidents. Several have been caught already planting drop guns and drugs even with the basic bodycams in use today.

That said, current biometric auth methods are a joke and are no where near ready for something as critical as life-safety of a firearm.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

He fails the twitter purity test, in that he occasionally throws out a blue collar joke that is homophobic.

He isn't marching around with a sign that says "god hates fags" afaik.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

IIRC the last time TEL came up someone mentioned there's several viable alternatives to Leaded avgas, but since the epa got basically gutted, the FAA cant be bothered to force a change.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

AlphariusOmegon posted:

This thread is making me reconsider my desire to get into a trade. I was thinking about going to trade school for welding or HVAC but... I'd strongly prefer to not be horribly maimed because of my profession.

Trades are as safe as you make them. The majority of accidents these days are from idiots not following safety procedure, or using PPE.

Everything we post in this thread is for the most part exceptional.

You should avoid the trades for other reasons, for example long term repetitive stress injuries, retirement is a joke, your coworkers are idiots, regular layoffs, and the fact that labor is probably the weakest it has ever been in this country*.

*Merica. I'm sure Aus and europe arent much better.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Thanks. im in the trades. I can't grammar.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

The backbreaking nature of trades can also be mitigated partially , but to do so you have to find a company that values that. The amount of power tools available to basically make any job painless exist, they just need to be utilized.

This is the true secret of the trades. For every guy turning wrenches theres a dozen people pushing paper and moving material, that get paid ok and don't necessarily need a bachelors.

Working a plumbing supply counter, doing manufacturer sales/training/support, there are a lot of adjacent opportunities where you can do ok.

Myself, i do hvac for now but want to get into building automation, as i am one of the few in my peer group not terrified of touching computers.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Jabor posted:

He should study something he enjoys.

Regardless of what he picks he's going to have crippling debt out the other side, so he might as well just be dealing with that instead of having both crippling debt and severe burnout from forcing himself to do something he's hated.

Unless you're using the moderator megabucks to put him through without taking on massive loans, idk what your financial situation is.

This is the correct answer, He should do something he finds interesting even when he's hung over as hell and operating on minimal sleep.

by "Junior College" I think burt means the local trade/transfer school, which you can if you're careful get out of without a shitload of debt unlike state or private schools*

*Merica

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I'm actually surprised aircraft pilots/engineers is so high, since you don't hear about THAT many plane crashes. Are these cropdusters or what?

Its per 100k workers. The total number of pilots/FEs is low, so their per capita fatality rate is high.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm not surprised by the firefighter stats at all. actual fire callouts have dropped massively over the last few decades. 90% of fire department responses are EMS calls

at the same time , firefighting science and training levels have risen, and the formation of specialty teams for crap like technical rescue and wilderness search means you aren't just shoving bodies at problems.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Probably because both spacecraft were being concurrently developed as fast as possible by two different teams in two different companies on two different sides of the country.

The emergency adaptation procedure probably got developed after a test and training engineer at nasa got a look at both scrubber canister types and realized it might be a problem.

Remember the first manned Apollo flight went up in October of '68. The deadline was December '69. the LEM didn't fly until march of that year.

Having two teams go back and redesign poo poo that already works is not a great use of brain time.

Then you have to build, test, and rework the hardware you already built.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

It's interesting that all of my employers since the 90s (when I worked for the Department of Justice, a note-able hardass about this poo poo) have not cared at all given that building maintenance is theoretically somewhat dangerous statistically. I guess it would come up if I grab some hot 480 phases or something... or if my life insurance agent reads this...

Its this. Companies only pay for the expensive tests if you gently caress up and have an accident, so they can shirk covering medical.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

a run to the nearest market for bulk sugar and hose full of water. dump sugar water on unwanted concrete and wash it away with a hose.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Piss Meridian posted:

love to use mechanical relays on my essential infrastructure.

When do you think that control system was implemented?

electro-mechanical relays are very reliable, and until very recently much more tolerant of errant voltages and currents than their solid state equivalents.

they are a wear item, but that is what inspection and preventative maintenance programs are for.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It's like the Sourcerer's Apprentice, but instead of brooms every time you use a zip tie it splits into two more.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The Real Amethyst posted:

Oh you know just crawling inside cooling towers.

also Legionella

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

or driven a fleet vehicle for work.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

undiscovered gas leak, that suddenly finds an ignition source.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

'Your brother and I are sheltering in a Hy-Vee cooler'

This is osha. Did they really make the walk-in cooler their shelter area.

Most walk-ins are styrofoam walls lined with tinfoil, filled with heavily overloaded shelving that can easily tip over. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Refueling it must be fun.