Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Pacra posted:

I saw there was talk about Russian OSHA....

If an Audi side-hits a tree, it should NOT do that!
A long time ago I heard about some kind of scam or recycling thing where people would make a single functional car out of two cars that had been in wrecks by cutting off the damaged sections of both and welding them together. This reminds me of that and why it is such a horrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
New video from our favourite bridgecam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdwleG_xFwI

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Woman dies after being set on fire during surgery in Romania

quote:

The patient, who had pancreatic cancer, died on Sunday after suffering burns to 40% of her body when surgeons used an electric scalpel despite her being treated with an alcohol-based disinfectant.
I am pretty sure it is against workplace safety regs to set your patient on fire.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Our beloved bridge strikes again. Truck drivers have become overconfident now that the bridge is taller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQssl0sM9As

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

That's what gave it away? Not the copy-pasted pixel-for-pixel identical siding and supporting timbers?
For me it was the MC Escher inspired design of structural supports.

Tim Thomas
Are you sure you and your fellow workers do not have an undiagnosed death wish with these designs and conditions?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Real Drop Bear PPE has a closed face helmet and neck protection. Those bastards are vicious and will tear your face right off. Goggles won't save you.

A good prank though. Not our fault you lot can't tell the difference between them and a Koala, and it neatly avoids the dangers of a Drop Bear that has made a fresh kill and gotten its blood up, not to mention the retaliation of the janitorial staff who have to deal with the mess afterwards.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

MRC48B posted:

That's some quality low-tech construction there. I would be proud of that handiwork.

EDIT: The fine gauge wire at the bottom acts as fusible links. :yum:
Looks like it is actual fuse wire. I still have some of that poo poo myself because my previous apartment was ancient and I had to do it manually to fix things up after they blew on the rare occasions they did.

The first time I had to ask my elderly neighbour of the time for help because I had absolutely no idea how to deal with the damned thing was (And was disinclined to learn by simply loving around) and he gave me a quick primer on how to fix the damned thing and what I should be doing to do it all safely and effectively, even gave me some spare wire he had in the right sizes and told me which was for which fuse. They were good people. The fuse box in question consisted of removable ceramic blocks and a wire you'd stick through a hole in it and secure to the electrical contacts on the top.

The other fuse related story I have is from a few years back is that my oven developed a fault where it would, after heating up to some unknown point in use, develop a short that prevented it from switching off. The controls would be utterly ineffective but me being too poor to replace it at the time and also having a powerful need to not starve to death would have to use the damned thing anyway.

I would therefore switch the thing off by yanking its fuse out of the fuse box. After it had cooled down the controls on the oven would, once again, work properly. If I didn't wait for it to cool it would just switch back on if I did that. Unfortunately the people who designed the place decided that it would have to be in the most inconvenient place possible so I would have to stand on a chair by the sink so I could reach the top shelf of the raised cupboard where it had been set at the back and down the bottom of the shelf, just for the reasons of making my life difficult.

(It has since been updated to a modern set of circuit breakers, thank gently caress)

Fake edit:

I guess I do have another fuse story after all back from when I was a kid. A few months after my family had gotten a kitten, said kitten decided that she took personal affront to my fathers stereo and pissed on it while he was using it, and blew the power to the entire house. The cursing he got up to while digging around in the houses fuse box was amusing. I sided with the kitten: My father has poo poo taste in music and she was fluffy and cute.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

Disneyland’s People Mover had a maximum speed of 2 miles-per-hour. The ride’s seemingly harmless speed probably contributed to the fearlessness and carelessness that killed the following passengers.

On August 21, 1967, 17-year-old Ricky Lee Yama was crushed to death while riding on the People Mover. Ricky decided that he would jump in between two of the moving cars just as the ride was entering a tunnel. Sadly, he missed, fell onto the tracks and was run over by an oncoming train. The ride had to be taken apart to remove his body. On June 7, 1980, Gerardo Gonzales decided he would duplicate Yama’s fatal stunt. As the People Mover was entering the SuperSpeed Tunnel, Gonzales jumped between cars and fell onto the track. The oncoming train crushed Gonzales beneath its wheels and dragged his body a few hundred feet down the track before coming to a stop.
I know this is tragic and all, but I really have to admire Gerardo Gonzales' dedication to accuracy.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey, let's not be hasty here. He definitively proved the Splat Earth theory.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

"wait until the bus is gone and you can see the road" is Australian rules for kids, at least 30 years ago when I was one.

Seems safer to me than "people are supposed to stop because we tell them to"
Still is. As I recall buses even have signs on the back telling people not to cross behind the bus.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
On the subject of truckfuckling from the previous page, our beloved bridge has struck again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZrOcCXNq5c

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
While I applaud his bravery, I don't think that piddly fire was worth dying for.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I absolutely believe it, especially after this weekend. A guy across the street was removing some palm trees from his lawn and he decided to just tie his truck to the tree by a tow strap and yank it out. I took video and I'll upload it once I can stitch the clips together.

Strap came off the truck at least 6 times because he just had it looped around the tow hitch instead of tied on. When he was having trouble pulling from the base he looped the strap around the top of the tree, immediately causing it to pull off over the top (like taking a scrunchie off your ponytail) as soon as it went slightly horizontal. He did this 3 times before realizing his mistake. When the trunk started breaking instead of pulling out by the roots, he went into his garage and came back dual wielding a reciprocating saw and a beer to try and cut the trunk.

By the time he actually had the tree out, there was a stump surrounded by broken wood and a massive patch of bare dirt on his lawn and he had torn the poo poo out of his grass with his tires from the constant pulling and shifting position. He ended up just staring at the scene with a beer, right in the middle of the road, like he was contemplating suicide.
To be fair. I've had to remove a couple of palm trees in the past (From my fathers backyard) and they are utterly obnoxious to get the bloody root ball out. He'd have been better off chopping the thing down, then smashing through as much of the roots with a mattock as he brought out the car.

In all seriousness, if you have to deal with something like that, spring for the heavy machinery you need unless you are a masochist or it is in an utterly obnoxious place (And in the latter, consider fire or explosives).

I had to mattock around the damned thing to get under the root ball, then slam this long metal rod in under it with a sledgehammer and work it around to break the roots gradually since we had no proper tools for the job and my father refused to go looking for any.

I then injured myself in a semi-unrelated incident which caused an abscess which led to me getting sick with some nasty cough that lasted eight months and destroyed my voice within four and had my voice only gradually and slowly return starting with the lower pitches and going towards the higher ones, which for the longest time caused trouble speaking since my voice would just cut out mid sentence when trying to make certain tones or words. That year really sucked.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Leperflesh recently convinced me to watch an ongoing series of videos about a dude rebuilding a century old sailing yacht, and the entire series appears to be OSHA as hell. This video, however, where he goes to a guys mill to get live oak is kind of insane. Link is timestamped to the machinery, but the whole series is worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/pH37Dep0cvU?t=720

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xakura posted:

So, uh, spoilers, but later he chops off the tip of a finger, and instead of humbly accepting that he should have been more careful and safety conscious all along, he goes on this rant about how "the world is too safe today" and "children should learn by chopping off more fingers" and "my only regret is that I have but ten fingers to give to the cause". And this goober takes volunteers to work for him for weeks on end! At the time he was even talking about taking hired help. Were they supposed to chop off their fingers to learn too?

I am where I am because I stand on the shoulders of giants. Not because I need to figure out everything from first principles myself, and run face first into every issue along the way.
It's interesting because I just watched that video and absolutely none of what you said is true. He commented that he thinks people have become too risk averse these days and goes on to explain what he means by risk and learning from it, and that a finger is a price he's willing to pay for it. I don't know what took the tip of the finger off, but he stated it wasn't the shipsaw or another saw.

I don't mind a bit of hyperbole, but this sounds like the kind of take you'd get from Fox news.

Still, that part where the dude describes what he built his sawmill rig out of:

"So there's parts of five forklifts, nine semi trailers, ol' sawmill parts, military hobart welder, parking lot sweeper, fertilizer spreader, and god knows what else."

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

Other people have chimed in on this, but to explain further, there are three types of radiation:

Alpha particles are literally just helium without the electrons. They don't travel far, and they lose their energy quite quickly, which renders them harmless in most scenarios (don't eat something that emits alpha particles).

Beta particles are electrons/positrons. Again, the initial emission is dangerous, but after that they just behave like any other bit of matter and do their thing normally.

Gamma rays are similar to x-rays in that they are a type of electromagnetic radiation (similar to light). They are harmful until they are absorbed, which is typically done by lead or some other dense material.

The point here is that once radiation actually interacts with something, it's no longer dangerous, as the dangerous part of the radiation (the energy) has already been absorbed. Alpha particles just become helium, beta particles become electrons, etc. Something is only radioactive if it emits radiation, and things that absorb radiation do not themselves emit radiation or become radioactive.

Now, in the case of nuclear fallout or other accidents, the danger is that particles that emit radiation are thrown into the air, which then can be breathed in. At that point you have radioactive material in your lungs that is emitting radiation directly into your tissue, which is very very bad.
You left out Neutron Radiation, which is absolutely horrible since it irradiates everything nearby though it has its uses in imaging.

As the joke option, Neutrino Radiation is another type that no one thinks or cares about because it is so weakly interacting that the only way to suffer a lethal dose of it would be to be inside an exploding star.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

It's probably not where it first landed? It's a cone/cylinder shape, if it landed somewhere on a hill it could have rolled quite a bit after landing before it settled.
It probably came in shallow and skipped until it ended up where it was. Would explain the comparative lack of damage.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Yeah in a similar vein there was a mixup of gas pipes in a refurbished hospital that resulted in brain damage for a baby and killed another - what should have been delivering oxygen was incorrectly connected to nitrous oxide.

https://www.safework.nsw.gov.au/news/safework-media-releases/sentence-imposed-in-case-involving-tragic-nitrous-oxide-mix-up
Here is another mixup story:

Former Socceroo Stephen Herczeg died after oxygen tube connected to catheter caused bladder to burst, coroner hears

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

cock stops cock's cock
Cockhead stabbed in cock by own cock at cockfight :v:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Instant Carma.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
As an adult, the worst I have done to myself in a kitchen was slice the very tip of a finger off while cutting a capsicum in half (Bell pepper to you american weirdos). I bandaged it, then stretched an old plastic bag over it and secured it with a rubber band before finishing my food prep (To keep blood out of my food. Hygiene is important). Before this comes off as me being some kind of tough person, I was swearing the entire time.

As a kid, I was extremely young and pulled a pot of hot water off the stove and onto me. My mother ripped my shirt off over my head, getting the water off me before I could burn all over, but I have a scar just above my left elbow joint where water actually made contact with skin and burned me.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

Sometimes that's not enough. I had to do that for a recalled dehumidifier once but one of the junk trucks which roam the neighborhood snagged it not three minutes after I set it out for the city's appliance recovery folks to pick up.

I am absolutely certain that they just stuck a new plug on it and resold it since they were looking at the cut cord very intently and checking over the whole thing. Should have glued one of these on it I guess.
When I did volunteer work at a St Vincent de Paul charity store, electricals that were obviously bad or had failed when tested by the electrician went in the dumpster after having the cords cut right at the base so there was nothing left to splice to.

We also had to repeatedly run people off from diving our dumpster for stuff because yes, while there may well have been stuff in there that was salvagable with a good deal of laundering, there was also a shitload of broken glass in there. We often had to lay a great big board of wood almost as big as a table top in there so we could stand on it as we used our weight to crush the contents down.

On the subject of sorting donations, that was potentially dangerous as well. There are far too many things to list so I'll simply say that if you could put a knife in something, we probably found a knife in there while sorting at one time or another.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Just watching that one stone. "Oh poo poo, is it gonna hit it? Is it gonna...OH IT DID!"
They should have raised the bridge.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

mods, pls change my nick to "too cool for stool"
"The Magic Stoolbus" was right there.

I propose all bulldozers have multiple slides to exit them. Would be fun as hell.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

Exception: birds. There are absolutely birds that can kill you without much of an effort, but they're neither small, cute, or brightly colored.
The Cassowary begs to differ, on the brightly coloured front at least.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

Thanks, past me.

You tried.
Fake. No fingerprint marks in the "blood", just parrallel brush strokes. Looks like watercolour paints.

My qualifications: I am unable to resist reaching for shiny things.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

B-Rock452 posted:

That happened to my wife when she was around two and the only reason she didn't get messed up was her uncle was over and was a navy corpsman in vietnam and he had her completely naked and under cold water in seconds. Everyone else completely froze
It happened to me when I was about two. The water went all over my shirt and my mother ripped it off me immediately. I have a scar on my left arm just above the inside of the elbow joint that has a near perfectly straight top because that's the only place that got direct contact.

Remember: Children are idiots. They can and will do things that injure themselves just because they can and are not capable of comprehending the consequences. So... I guess kind of like most of the adults that get a mention in this thread.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's for people who have their head up their arse.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's entirely possible this is from some kind of built in vacuum system, where you just plug your hose into a wall socket and stuff gets sucked through ducts into the garage. My parents home has a thing like that, though they aren't idiots and keep it cleaned.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

What is this? A quarry for ants?
Everything I know says it is a miniature, and yet I think I can see a dude moving by the excavator towards the end of the clip when its arm moves out of the way.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

SuddenCactus posted:

You would think that robot arms would have "if cannot complete action, return to first position and try again" programming
That just results in the victim being repeatedly bludgeoned instead of being trapped.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Amusing, but faked. You can see he has the piece of wood out at the other end.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Kitten rescued from Excavator Engine

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Just move to the Delaware coast and they’ll bring the UXB to you!

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f8/t003206.html

"For the past three months, surplus munitions dumped at sea decades ago have been turning up in some shell-covered driveways in Sussex County. Authorities believe the rusted explosives are being dredged up by clam harvesters from the Atlantic Ocean in spots where the Army dumped surplus ordnance after World War I and World War II.”
I don't understand the problem. The people asked for shell covered driveways. They should have been more specific.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

bertolt rekt posted:

Life hack: avoid drowning in small ponds by learning how to swim.
People who know how to swim still drown in rivers a lot due to the fact there's a ton of poo poo hidden under the surface they can impact when diving or get tangled in.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

HolHorsejob posted:

I have a whole constellation of recurring nightmares, but by far the worst are the claustrophobia ones. I made the mistake of listening to an episode of Well There's Your Problem on caving accidents recently and it'll be a while before I sleep normally
You can't say that without linking to the episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUJKRVu6IVA

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I want to know more about this one. What precludes you from being rescued? Is the ship so big that nobody notices when you go overboard, or are you gonna get chewed up by the big props?
Three things:

1: It is an extremely long drop into the water. You are definitely going to be at least injured when you hit.

2: A large ship isn't able to stop and simply go back to get you. Once you're in the water you are going to be left behind simply because a ship has that much momentum.

3: Even if they do manage to come around, it'll be almost impossible to spot a person in the water especially since it'll take a while to get there.

Basically: If you fall off a large ship, you are probably going to die very quickly and help is going to get there very slowly, if at all. My advice is to not get on big ships and stay on land.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Someone needs to tell Musk that just because the machine is smarter than him, it doesn't mean it has any actual intelligence.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lafarg posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/11/15/caterpillar-worker-molten-iron-death-osha/10702691002/ A melting specialist melted. The final scene of "The Terminator" happened IRL. It's also in the "Money" Section of USA Today.
Actually that was Terminator 2. The scene in the movie you mentioned was actually the precursor to the Hydraulic Press channel.

Speaking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaLh78WIH14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

Nothing on Earth is truly safe until the shifting tectonic plates drive it down into the molten guts of the planet.
When that happens stuff gets dangerously hot.