Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Canuckistan posted:

I had a bumble-bee nest under the concrete slab in my garage. I sprayed and then caulked up the entrance, and the bastards came out into my basement. Hundreds and hundreds of big fat bumble-bees in my basement. Fortunately, they were pretty sick from the spray and died off quickly.
While I understand that in this case it would have been woefully impractical to relocate the nest, as a general rule you should look up any local beekeepers and call them about a hive you want removed. They are almost always keen to get an established queen and hive for free. Likewise if you encounter any bees swarming (the bee-ball) they'll be keen on collecting them.

It is an absolute waste to kill them except in the most impossible of retrieval circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
It was featured on episode 12A of the Well There's Your Problem podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvM6vaZKKm4

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Because no one wants a plane crash to do double duty as a widespread radiological incident?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My favourite episode of wtyp covers these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUJKRVu6IVA

As a general rule, cave people are insane. People who think it is a good idea to wedge themselves between two or more enormous rocks have something profoundly wrong with them that not even a hundred thousand years of natural selection has managed to fix. If something goes wrong you are probably going to die even if people try to rescue you, and it is always going to be horrible and often take a very long time unless you get lucky and drown. And when drowning is the "getting lucky" option you know poo poo is absolutely terrible.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm going to be honest. I found the idiot making an illegal turn and holding up traffic to be more interesting. It was only on the second loop that I noticed there was a gigantic hole.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

NoWake posted:

In the 1940s, there was a train wreck that killed 40 people, caused by a train ignoring signals and plowing into the back of another. In response, government regulations were enacted that required trains going 80mph or above to be equipped with automatic brake systems that would trigger if a signal was disobeyed.

The railroads' response was to set a maximum speed limit of 79mph.
You could also watch this recent episode of WTYP on that very incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNwAhSUmpc

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

knuthgrush posted:

Can't have your guns in a carry-on and the TSA are just low level unarmed thugs :911:
Yeah, the TSA's only real job duty these days besides standing around looking official is tipping off the cops when they find money in your luggage so the cops can seize it as "proceeds of crime" under civil asset forfeiture.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can people please link the articles directly instead of linking to the hellsite that is twitter for this poo poo? Some of us don't want to give Musk traffic as he drives that shithole into the ground and it is absolutely unnecessary. I am personally not a fan of clicking links to have to click a link to get to the interesting thing when the interesting thing could have been linked directly, especially when the first link now leads to nazitown.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

the twitter link automatically embeds a photo, the headline and some context, as well as an easy link to a twitter thread that may have additional context. There's a reason we added twitter embedding. If clicking a loving redirect is that painful for you then just google the headline goddamn
That embedding doesn't work for everyone. I just get a url and no amount of fiddling with my settings here, in my browser, or my browser plugins (Including deactivating all of them entirely) has managed to change that.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

That basically sums up Hydrogen. Everything about it is weird.
Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, and was once the only element in it. It's not Hydrogen that's weird, it's everything else.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Desiderata posted:

Every time WTYP comes up it's always followed by pages of goons whining about his co-hosts. Don't listen to it then.
The point of such incessant bashing is because they not only don't like it, other people should not like or watch it either.

I find the podcast amusing, myself.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the Dopefish!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Have we forgotten our history?

<Bee burning images snipped>

(Glad to see the images are back in the original thread)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2243176
That's actually quite sad. Beekeepers are almost always keen on getting a swarm like that, since it's basically a new queen looking for a place to make a new hive along with a bunch of workers, so it's essentially a completely free hive as far as they are concerned. I've seen dudes in a bee suit just walk up to such a thing and dump the bee-ball in a box and take them home to slap in a hive box, in and out in under a minute.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

Im lookin for mid to long form content of people doing work in the trades. Anyone got recommendations? im collecting a list so i can pass it on to someone else interested in the field, and i want to give them a slice of life

so far my list is:
this old house classic on the roku channel
Gate city foundation drainage on YouTube

just wanna see tradies doing their thing, seeing what kind of bullshit they gotta put up with, listening to their clever insights. that kinda thing
Dudes rebuilding a boat

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

Notice that only the dust is on fire. They are shoveling coal, the dust combusts when they pick it up and eventually burns away.
The coal is burning too, it is just not doing flames that people see and go "Oh, it's on fire". Coal mine fires are loving horrible from a firefighting perspective. They're only marginally easier to extinguish than the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

The dangers of low head dams being understated yet again.
That's a weir. If a dam is overtopping you should have already evacuated everyone downstream.