Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Trauma surgeons are some of the most talented people I’ve ever come across. Several people I know owe their lives and limbs to these people. The good ones are at a level where the art and science of medicine are one and the same.

Seriously, one of them actually did rocket surgery. When an RPG is sticking out of your patients’ body and you get to play bomb defusal tech and trauma surgeon at the same time, then you actually succeed in the surgery...

https://abcnews.go.com/2020/unexploded-bomb-soldiers-body-docs-save/story?id=13678066

drat that's a bad day.

Trauma surgeons and reconstructive surgeons are basically wizards when it comes to some of the stuff we've figured out how to fix. I saw one of those trashy A&E disaster shows years ago where a guy had fallen into a cement mixer that sliced one of his feet right off and mashed one of his hands into a pulp. They couldn't reattach the foot because of the entire joint having been lopped off above the ankle...so they used it as parts to fix his hand and he ended up with an almost fully functional hand at the end, albeit less sensitive than before and a bit odd looking, on account of how they replaced his thumb with a big toe and re-engineered his finger joints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I thought it was paracetamol that's the one that wouldn't get approved for over the counter use today. maybe it's both.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Dear god, that was not what I was expecting from that link. That must have been quite an experience.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/BurgerVonStadt/status/1165277262272483328?s=20

The black and white one just feels like a calculated gently caress you to people with poor vision.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 23, 2019

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Uh, did they have chemistry in the early 20th century? This guaze dries out, becomes explosive, and it also reacts with the metal first aid container and makes an even worse explosive? How did we even survive early medicine?

To be fair a lot of us didn't

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Azathoth posted:

I think we underestimate just how often people died from various accidents and illnesses back then. And I don't just mean in ways that are at least semiobviously dangerous like falling into a vat of chemicals at work, or falling off a roof patching a leak.

Like, I bet even with the occasional family wiped out in a house fire, it was still a big net positive for mortality to have antiseptics readily available, particularly since there is a not-so-fine patina of rust and animal poo poo on literally every exposed surf6.

The first patient to be treated with penicillin was 25 year old Albert Alexander, in 1941. He had a massive infection and was successfully treated for some time, but unfortunately they had very little supply at that point and obviously didn't know about courses; despite extracting excess penicillin from his urine to readminister, they ran out too early and he relapsed and died. The wound that took him out is usually said to be a scratch, to the face, from a rosebush.

It's hard to really get across in a post antibiotics, post antiseptic-hygiene world just how many people died from infections from relatively minor injuries in the very recent past.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

It was certainly an interesting decision to let a complete sadist design a footbridge.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I can still recall the intensity of the smell of an Icelandic whaling yard 30 years later. I also remember seeing sperm whale organs that were many times larger than I was.

When a small whale swam up the Thames and died, they ended up taking it to the Natural History Museum's spirit galleries for dissection. I happened to tour the spirit galleries a couple of days later, and as part of the tour they take you through one of the dissection rooms, which is just next to the mammal/large animal storage.

Even through the intense stink of disinfectant, alcohol, formaldehyde and other nasty preservation chemicals that's omnipresent in a place like that, even with the room having been spotlessly cleaned, you could smell that drat whale. Walking into the dissection room was like a walking into a solid wall of stench, I've never smelled anything like it before or since.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

drgitlin posted:

Do you think USPS is the company doing same-day Amazon Prime delivery? There are private courier companies in the UK and I’m sure Canada too.

Im also confused by this claim re delivery logistics in other countries because i live in the UK and use same day delivery constantly for work, for emergency parts, from Amazon and other providers, and my company actually does next and same day shipping for our goods, for which we subcontract to a courier; so the answer to "where else in the world can you order something on your phone and get it shipped to you same day?" is "a lot of countries" in my experience. Hey, I even managed to get something same-day'd from the Netherlands once, albeit it usually takes a few days between countries, that was a bit of a one off.

Edit: also I don't have particularly strong feelings either way on royal mail but we use them to ship subscriptions and they lose and damage less parcels than the private couriers do, and deliver consistently on time for hundreds of postal packages a week for a fraction of the cost. I'm sure it's worse in rural areas but that feels like a weird pro-privatisation Tory talking point.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 25, 2020

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Wompanafrank/status/1256418822627536896

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Very literal use of ultimate there

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

That is some fuckin Silent Hill poo poo

There's also whistling swans that whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAQoM-vm2x0

and mute swans that mostly hiss but sometimes honk. I dunno if the swan song myth/motif is based on a particular swan species (i.e. whether it springs from the fact mute swans don't call much at all, or the fact that whistlers and trumpeters make kinda awful sounds.)

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Ooh, is it time to re-post the documentary about the “flying doctor”? He rode out to on-track crashes to be a first responder because he could get to them faster than the medevac chopper.

https://youtu.be/MsZBXlTHPCg

Absolute legend and as well as saving lives on tracks, he also successfully campaigned to get an air ambulance service operating for Northern Ireland, though sadly he died before seeing it become a reality. RIP Dr Hinds.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

this rule was drilled into me so much in my teen years i still do it to random people even though i haven't worked in a restaurant for a long time

Same I am incapable of walking behind someone without saying "backs!" or "behind!" Tbh it's a good habit and more people should do it.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

mostlygray posted:

My wife and I used to work together as cooks back in college. "Behind you." is a thing we say to each other all the time. Sometimes it's "Hot behind you". Sometimes it's "Hot pan." Sometimes it's "Moving."

Our kitchen is nice but we don't suffer fools to get in our way. We can work in tandem without issue. We know how to dance around each other with hot things and it's like nothing.

If my mom comes over for Thanksgiving (not this year of course), I end up shoulder checking her in the kitchen. She doesn't know the dance. Funny thing is, she owned a greasy spoon restaurant back in the early 70's. She never learned anything about running it. It didn't make money anyway. They only made enough money to pay for bootleg liquor. It was a dry county.

Long story short: "Behind you" is a thing you should do in a kitchen.

I love cooking for people and having people chill & chat in my kitchen while I cook for them, but secretly sometimes I wish I could only cook for my food service friends because non industry people just wander around like a chaos elemental when you're holding knives and pans and poo poo, and think you're just being fussy when you e.g. ask them to say "behind" when they're behind you :smith: I just don't want to accidentally hurt you bro.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I get why he does it though, having made his career in the film and television industry. Working in those sorts of production environments, with the insane deadlines placed on them, you have no option but to go as fast as possible and cut corners. Sucks, but when you have a deadline that often incurs monetary penalties if exceeded, you just get it drilled into you to get things done.

In my short stint at an animation studio, for most of the projects we worked on any day we worked beyond the deadline indicated in the contract, not only was the company not getting any more money than initially agreed upon in the contract, they would be dinged $10k each day past the deadline.

You could make an entire new film/TV only OSHA thread tbh. I just got off a call with my dad, who has Parkinson's, who was just updating me on an old industry friend of his, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinson's; just like another friend of theirs who died of complications related to Parkinson's just last year... I'm not sure if there's a proven link between developing colour film and Parkinson's, but anecdotally, a lot of photographers and cameramen seem to get it.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

That's your example of OSHA in the film industry? I don't think there's even a suggested link, unless they are using lead in their film development.

I mean it's not my only example lol, it just pinged in my brain because I'd just been talking to my dad about it. There's definitely been a suggested link - it occasionally gets referred to as "the photographer's disease", and there's solvents used in some kinds of colour processing that have been implicated in Parkinson's studies before.

Film development itself is pretty OSHA, or it definitely used to be. Developing colour 35mm in the '60s for sure meant a bunch of lads pranking each other with unpleasant chemicals in unventilated total darkness lol.

I guess if you want classic OSHA he almost drowned filming a documentary on an oil rig once because the producer lied and said the camera crew were all dive certified?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I've had more painful/damaging kitchen injuries but by far the dumbest was the time i burned the tip of my index finger and gave myself a huge blister because I took the pan off a gas stove after boiling potatoes, noticed the flame cap was slightly out of place from where I'd cleaned the hob earlier, and just absent mindedly reached down to tap it back into place with my bare hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol, there's not going to be poo poo left for someone else to buy if they file bankruptcy. No one wants to take over what might as well be a Superfund site now.

I was a mechanic in the army (3rd shop and at a line unit). There's no decommissioning trucks unless they're literally blown to pieces. That unit mechanic probably had his gripes about the trucks, but there are different levels of maintenance he can send them off to (with approval from above) and have the problem components swapped out. Engine problems? Send it to third shop, they'll just replace the whole loving thing with a rebuild straight from GM.

Humvees are poo poo anyhow. The GM diesels that power them are absolute trash, especially the 6.2L NA engine. Like, 30k miles is a full life for a GM 6.2L in a humvee, and the 6.5L isn't much better.

The humvee of Theseus